• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So last night, I suddenly got the itch to dust off this thing:

3eumGKj

It hasn't been used in years, so a lot of the music on it is stuff I haven't listened to in a long time (LapFox Trax, Halestorm, La Roux, and OneRepublic, to name a few), and using it at work today has been a real nostalgia trip. Aside from that though, I still love the Zune; the look and feel of it is really nice, and the interface is nice to interact with. Plus, I can play Hexic while on the go. That alone justifies keeping it around.

(Side note: Microsoft needs to make a new Hexic game.)

So what older devices do you keep around and still enjoy? It doesn't necessarily have to be something you use regularly or often at all - like I said, this poor neglected Zune hadn't been used in years - but it can just be something you like to keep around and use every now and then, simply because you still really like it and personally think it's still cool, despite newer tech eclipsing it.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Game consoles and my bedroom stereo; that's about it.

I haven't used my stereo since my aux cable went bad and I've neglected to buy a new cable. I've thought about bluetooth adapters, but I don't feel like looking for a place to keep it powered since all of the outlets by my stereo are occupied.

I should probably just replace it with a new stereo. Old consoles shall remain in my possession even though I've moved everything to my PC for emulation.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My 2012 MacBook. It still runs great. It also has some sockets the newer MacBooks don't have. And I stuck both an ssd and an hdd in there.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a turntable that is completely borked. The auto stop/start mechanism is broken and I have to plug and unplug it to power it on and off. But it works for now and I don't need to be spending $200 on a new table.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I haven't heard that album in a minute.
Anyway, I still regularly use an Asus netbook from 2009. It's so small!

edgelord reply: my ps4

Oh yeah, I dusted my PS4 off last week after I realized that there still isn't a Netflix and Amazon Prime Video app (edit: for switch! no app for switch!)

Last edited:

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still use my iPod Nano at work while I'm typing away. I don't care if it's lame, I just don't like putting all that music and podcasts and stuff on my phone. Also it keeps me from being too tempted to play with my phone too much.

Also I still use my Wii U for Netflix on one of my TVs because the Switch can't get its act together.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So much.

Had a crt monitor all the way until last Nov, when I finally sold it.

Have two old ccfl lcd monitors as my main screens lol, one of the is 1600x1200 4:3 aspect!

CDs. Many many CDs.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I have a 2010 13" MacBook Pro that I mostly use for internet browsing, Office and Facetime. Threw a 500GB SSD in it, upgraded it to High Sierra and it works great for that purpose.

My main computer is an HP Elitebook 8770W (from 2012). It's a great machine and it does everything I need it to do.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
My Zune HD from 2009 still works so I still use it. Bastard has survived falls, extreme temperatures and other abuse and it still works great.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I was thinking about the pure aesthetic appeal of playing a PS1 using a small grey TV with a built in VHS player.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I just bought a 2015 Macbook Pro because the current line is so terrible. Who know how long I'll stick to it at the rate Apple are going.

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
Synthesizers, although I don't think a synthesizer ever goes obsolete. I just bought a discontinued digital synthesizer from 2004 and I couldn't be happier.

I think the oldest I've used to record was from 1969, but it wasn't mine.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Nice to see Zune in the OP. I love the Zune UI (whether on Zune, Windows Phone or the Zune desktop client).

Anyway, I don't make it a habit to keep much older hardware unless I actually use it. I still have my Wii U and PlayStation TV connected to my TV.

NumbEight!!!

Nov 2, 2017
My iPod Shuffle. It's the only thing I need when I go out for a run. The only thing that can replace it is something similar but with Bluetooth.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
1080p 42" smart TV. I don't see the need to upgrade to 4K.
PS3 and Wii U are still hooked up to the TV. They are kinda dusty but I use them on occasion.
Gameboy Micro. It's the coolest handheld console ever.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I should have added a "Besides retro consoles" disclaimer to the OP. :P

Damn, I haven't heard that album in a minute.
Yeah, it's been a long time since I kept up with Renard's stuff. May have to fix that later.

Still using my 2009 era iPod Classic.
I miss the old iPods. The clickwheel was always fun to play around with.

Nothing yet but I fear it will be headphones and devices with headphone jacks.
I hear you. I like bluetooth and all, but I wish phone manufacturers weren't phasing out headphone jacks.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
I have a 2nd generation Kindle Fire that I won in a school competition that I still keep around. It's served a variety of purposes including being a primary tablet to being a rooting and custom ROM test ground, and I'm probably going to repurpose it into a simple ereader.

I also still have an Xbox 360 for Red Dead Redemption (and I plan to pick up some OG Xbox games at some point for it).

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I still pull my Windows 95 desktop out every now and then. My current PC doesn't have a disc drive, but even if it did, nothing else can read my old CD-ROMs or floppy disks.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I still have an iPod Nano that I use in my car. I don't know what I'll do when it breaks, since there is no replacement device.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's not that old in the grand scheme of things, but I still use a Galaxy S3 every night during the week for running. It has a GPS and I can download songs off Spotify. It fits in my pocket better than newer phones, and I don't have to worry about breaking it since I could replace it pretty cheaply.

maxpl

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
iPhone X in case my iPhone XS breaks.

Oct 28, 2017
CDs. I distract myself too easily listening to music on my laptop. So if I want to really dig into an album I still love listening to a cd and just ignoring al other media

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
I love my Zunes. Have an original black one and a HD in blue with the Nvidia logo. Subscribed to Zune Pass basically the entire time it existed. I wish they still supported the subscription model so I could continue using the Zune. I don't really buy music/albums so nowadays I just settle form Spotify Premium.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to keep my 160 GB iPod Classic until it doesn't run anymore. I love it!

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
All right let's start up at the top.

1. Playstation portable
2. 2500k i5 processor.
3. 720p sceptre tv for 10+ years and counting.
4. Apple IIe computer
5. Dragonball Z body pillow from when i was a kid.

Radrigal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ipod classic 120gb. Still sad that they discontinued this.

Cabled hardware. I still prefer wired over wireless if I have the option to choose. PC peripherals, headphones, etc.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how much raspberry pi's count, but I still run 2 of them as a web server and as a database for my random dev work. I also have a 2011 Asus laptop that was budget at the time and mostly works as a bedroom spotify machine. Otherwise I recently did a pass through of all my stuff and got rid of/replaced obsolete stuff when I moved.