• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Despite it being on Netflix, despite it being memed/discussed to hell and back, and despite me having watched TLoK when it aired, I've yet to actually watch Avatar: The Last Airbender. It came at a time where I was slightly too old to be watching Nickelodeon when it aired (or not interested enough, I suppose) but too young to be 'in the know' in regards to good stuff to watch. So, despite me being in the target demographic, I never actually watched it. However, with how almost over-powering its presence in internet culture it is, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of stuff; yet, the fact that I've been spoiled-by-proxy on a lot of stuff and that I won't be viewing it from a perspective of nostalgia, means that I'm not really sure whether I'd want to sit down and watch it now. I don't know lol; if anyone else was in the same position as me and did decide to watch it then some perspective could help :)

But, yeah. What's your 'Avatar: TLA'? The massive cultural thing that you simply haven't seen, played, read, etc. Are you planning to rectify that or are you fine staying ignorant? Why did you not 'get around to it' in the first place? If you did decide to experience it long after its initial massive popularity, how did you feel looking at it from a perspective others haven't.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Most of the big movies from the 80s/90s (Spielberg stuff, the Godfather, Rocky, Rambo, etc etc, you get the idea)

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched it. It's great. You should watch it! You're not too old. It feels a little kiddish at first and well, it is a kids show, but it becomes more than that a few episodes in.

I can't think of many big zeitgest-y things I haven't seen at least in some form. Hunger Games? That came and went without me having read or seen any of the them. Can't think of much else.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Never watched Avatar.. the James Cameron film.

Besides that, I'm usually out of the loop on TV shows more than movies. Oh, and also I don't follow k or J pop.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Probably Game of Thrones. I watched the first episode or two, but the whole time I was watching it I couldn't stop thinking "this really makes me want to play Skyrim." So I did that instead and dropped off. And with how it ended I don't see myself ever going back to it.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Is My Little Pony considered "major"? Because I'm more than glad I didn't get into that.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Oh a shitton. No Alien movies, no Godfather movies, no Oasis, no Blur, no Rolling Stones (actually i just don't like what i've heard), pretty much no popular contemporary music, no Avatar, pretty much almost all modern TV shows (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, that stuff). And that's not even mentioning books.

I actually enjoy watching or listening to less known stuff because it's less known. Everyone already knows the big things, i want to be able to speak for and to the small things that don't have a lot of people to speak for them.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Star Wars movies. I've seen the prequels, mostly by accident, but never anything other than that.
Also never watched Breaking Bad.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Avatar, it took me about a year and a half to watch the first two seasons, lol. Animation and voice work is great but it's....I don't know, at it's heart, still a kids show? It was extremely difficult for me to get into. I would watch like 2 episodes, bored to tears, and then go months before diving back in. I still need to get around to finishing it.

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
Iron Man 2 or 3 was the last Marvel movie I have seen from start to finish. I watched like 30 min of an Avenger movie and saw a scene of Capt. America.

I haven't seen Rise of the Skywalker or whatever the last movie was called. I haven't seen the Solo or Rogue One either.

My interest in movies overall has diminished quite a bit overall in the last decade.

Edit: I don't know anything about Harry Potter.

It's safe to assume that I am ignorant on 99% of all pop culture for the last 2 decades because I'm old and don't care.

Last edited:

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
It's easier to name the stuff I have seen. For every hour of movies and TV I watch, I probably consume 100 hours of essays and analysis on Youtube. I'm much more interested in the industry and the craft than the actual product.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Avatar, it took me about a year and a half to watch the first two seasons, lol. Animation and voice work is great but it's....I don't know, at it's heart, still a kids show? It was extremely difficult for me to get into. I would watch like 2 episodes, bored to tears, and then go months before diving back in. I still need to get around to finishing it.
I was at pretty much the perfect age when Avatar was airing, and I never got into it myself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I haven't seen the vast majority of the current marvel movies. Just Guardians of the Galaxy 1 + 2, Black Panther, and Ant-Man.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018

Yeah that's my main worry. It may be one of the best kids shows out there but it's still very much a kids show, and seeing as I practically know most of the story already I can just see myself getting bored over the 60 episodes it takes to finish it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Avatar is a big one for me and every time I try I bounce off after 2 episodes. Same goes for The Clone Wars (though weirdly I got very into Rebels very quickly).

Cowboy Bebop is a show I get like 15 episodes into and then I stop for months and then try to rewatch it all again. It's fantastic, I dunno why I can't stick to it. I think being spoiled as to how it ends makes me hesitant to go all the way.

Also does the other Avatar count? I feel like at this point it'd be pointless to watch it without 3D and with 3D essentially being dead I just... don't bother. I probably will one day when I'm so bored I have nothing else to watch.

Oh and I know I'd love old LucasArts adventure games but I have a weirdly hard time getting into them.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
All the popular american music artists like Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Harry Styles, Drake, Rihanna, i've heard some of their music but it's just so boring.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonball. Z and GT were completed years before I got in anime. When experiencing it for the first time as an adult, it just comes off as incredibly shallow in terms of story/characters compared to other Shonen properties.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I haven't seen a single Marvel movie in its entirety. My wife likes them so I've seen bits and pieces of a few, but they don't interest me at all. Also, you'd have to pay me to suffer through another Star Wars. I have little to no interest in most video games.

Is this gonna get me excommunicated from this forum?

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Subscribing to netflix or any other subscription service.

I've yet to watch any popular show from the past 10 years or so.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Mandalorian.

Disney+ is not yet available on my country, and honest to god, I don't like to pirate things.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I have never played an online multiplayer match of call of duty or battlefield during the ps3 360 generation.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Breaking Bad. I tried watching the first episode and just couldn't get into it.

Cowboy Bebop. I've heard lots of good things but I've just never gotten around to it.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've watched Avatar: TLA but not Avatar.

Or Infinity War. Or Endgame.

Or Game of Thrones.

I haven't seen Harry Potter and have no intention of doing so.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
More modern Anime. Voraciously ate uo 90's and 00' anime but then a steep drop. Outside of your biggies (One Punch, etc) that crossed over where I felt forced to watch or just be behind in pop culture in general... I am ten years behind and seems like the current class of fans makes me not want to jump back in, lol.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the Godfather movies, Rocky, Rambo, Apocalypse Now and many others.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
the MCU. I watched ironman 1 and the first captain america when they came out in theaters but that's it. One day I'll buy a LG CX, some fancy surround sound and binge them on a long weekend

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen or read a Harry Potter anything. I saw part of the 1st on cable, but that's it. There was a time when you were #TeamLOTR or #TeamPotter, and I was LOTR all the way. I've never felt like jumping in since then, maybe sometime