• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mario games are legendary and arguably the most famous video game characters of all time. It's a real testament to the developers for bringing so many weird characters to life and making them household names. Beyond the named characters and villains, even Mario's more generic enemies are full of personality and often given their time in the spotlight.

3e7330846fae34463d66003a8e56a505.jpg

Whether it's Koopa Troopa in Mario Kart games, Piranha Plant being a selectable fighter for Smash Bros, or Blooper in Mario Party 8, the background adversaries that Mario tangles with are an equally beloved part of the Mario universe.

So which ones are your favorites?

For some reason, I've always been fond of Shy Guys.
bab7d2f866efa8d019f2d715759f8a65dbf6a211v2_00.jpg

Just something about these tiny, bashful baddies stuck with me. It's like if Nintendo did Jawas .Considering they originated in Super Mario World 2, which wasn't technically a Mario game at first, apparently Nintendo agreed since they were integrated into the Mario franchise properly soon after.

There are hundreds of other examples - some more well-known than others. What's yours?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DMW-ChainChomp.png

An enemy so good even Bayonetta adopted one.

Shy Guys and Piranha Plants are good runner ups, the latter especially has always been a flexible and varied species which Smash captured so well.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I've always loved how jolly Koopa Troopa is. Enjoyed his role in Mario Party 4 as one of the board owners.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Hammer Bros, easily. I admire their 'fuck you, and you, and especially you' attack strategy. Real go-getters, them.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Either Boo or Dry Bones

If Dry Bones is playable in a game, I usually pick it

There's something just kinda grotesque about playing as a cartoon zombie Koopa that the series just plays completely straight like they're just normal in the Mario world to have zombies like that. Like they aren't just undead Koopas that Mario has killed in the past lol

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
piranha plant is a jolly lad who just wants to eat and who can resist that face

nobody.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Mario Kart series has really endeared me to Lakitu with him being the iconic flag man. In 2D Mario he's a dick. lol

200px-SMRL-Line-Lakitu-Thump.gif

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Goombas and Boos. Don't ask me to explain why, I just do.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Chargin' Chuck. They terrified me as a kid and I've since grown to love them.

Oct 27, 2017
It's very hard to choose, but among the underdogs I'd choose snifits, bullies and tap-taps. My overall favorite is probably Lakitu and all the Lakitu variants.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Koopa Tropa are my favorite. They look cute and are useful. There are amiibo or figurines? I would like get one ay least.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Another reason why 3D World is one of my fave all-time Mario games?

It bought back one of my fave enemies from World! Chargin' Chucks!

Chargin%27_Chuck_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Shy Guy is my favorite as well.

However Mouser is a close second and always stuck with me as a kid.
SMA_Mouser_Artwork.jpg

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Spikes. For whatever reason they made this huge impression on my young mind when they added them in Mario 3, and I'm delighted whenever they pop back up.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Hammer bros. Good luck getting past one if they are on steps.

Another reason why 3D World is one of my fave all-time Mario games?

It bought back one of my fave enemies from World! Chargin' Chucks!

Chargin%27_Chuck_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png
I also love these guys but honestly have no idea why they are there.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I love the enemy design in Mario, feel it's one of the best aspects of the series. Answering the question, it would be my avatar