• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What degree of bullshit is this?

• Bullshit

Votes: 57 12.6%
  • Absolute Bullshit

Votes: 68 15.0%
  • 100% Bullshit, now with 75% More Bullshit

Votes: 103 22.7%
  • OP is an insufferable whiner who is no fun, which is very much why they added this as a response.

Votes: 268 59.2%
  • Avengers 2: Age of Ultron is misunderstood

Votes: 76 16.8%
  • Where's the "paying for online is fucking bullshit to begin with" poll option?

Votes: 17 3.8%
  • Paying for online is fucking bullshit to begin with

Votes: 22 4.9%

• Total voters

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I pay $7 a year split between my friend group. I cant complain about that if I think for half a second about how much money I waste on buying games I barely touch

jman912

Dec 31, 2018
It's designed for families with multiple Switches. My brother and I each have a Switch so we save like 5 dollars between the both of us.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how the family pack works it's definitely not bullshit

Though it is frustrating that you can't easily upgrade from the single to family plan

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I don't understand what OPs problem is with how the family group works. It's the best system any console uses imo. You don't need to use the same console or share accounts to use it, it's great when distributed among friends, super cheap..

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The family membership makes Nintendo's whole online service worthwhile. I manage a full family plan with eight people, so it only costs each of us around $7 AUD a year; and i'm perfectly willing to pay that for the NES/SNES games alone (the $14 i've spent on NSO so far wouldn't even be enough for two SNES games on Virtual Console).

It's a shame there isn't an easy way to upgrade from an individual membership, but this definitely isn't something worth whining about.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
It's better than PS+ & XBL though because you can split the cost among 8 people & only pay like $7/yr, that's what I do.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I literally am shocked that there's a NSO defense force

How in the world can you defend a service that is actively worse than their previous gen online service...which was free.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I love the family plan exists, because you can actually split it between multiple consoles.

So say 2 profiles on one console, 3 on another, 1 in another. Allows you to pay between multiple people very easily as it adapts to a lot of situations, much more versatile than PS and Xbox.

Oct 27, 2017
The family one makes much more sense for me. I can use it on my Switch and share the same membership with two of my nephew's who use it on their own switches. If it was like Xbox live or PS+, we'd have to have subscriptions for each console.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

How in the world can you defend a service that is actively worse than their previous gen online service...which was free.
No one is defending the service overall, just comparing the family plan between NSO and other equivalent subscription services. NSO clearly does family plan right.

At least you should learn and try to understand the thread before replying, don't you think?

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Dude you have an openly hostile OP, poll, and every reply is antagonistic. Maybe you should try to converse with the people posting in your thread instead of just insufferable whining. I guess you thought everybody was just going to come in and "+1" you but that isn't how it works. That's not how any of this works.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Would I prefer NSO be free? Of course. Is it in any way more "absolute bullshit" than PS+, as this thread insists? No. It's far cheaper, even if you take the "zomg 75% more" family plan into account.

I hope someday online multiplayer is free on all consoles, but this thread isn't claiming that all paid online multiplayer services are "bullshit," just that one of them is, despite that one being the cheapest by far. So, yeah, people are weirded out.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Doesn't the PS+ account need to be the primary account in both systems though? I remember reading that there was some sort of hurdle that you had to jump to use it that way.
It works the same on both systems. My PS4/Switch has my brothers/cousins accounts set as the primary on mine, secondary on theirs, and vice versa.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
NSO is still a big ripoff. You only need one PS+ account for everyone on your PS4 and can use it on up to two PS4s at once.

$35 a year for 8 consoles is not a rip-off compared to $60 for 2 consoles.

Obviously the features are not nearly as compelling for most people but just on a price basis Nintendo's offering is much more consumer friendly.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I agree OP, compared to PSN/XBL it is a bit of a slap in the face.
On the other platforms only the primary account needs to have plus/gold, then secondary accounts also get to enjoy the benefits. Nintendo's plans are cheaper, but require a family (or separate) sub for all profiles.

Nintendo's works well only for people with multiple Switches. In my situation we're sharing 1, so it's an overall negative.

People need to view the Family plan as the default plan, which allows multiple accounts to access online functions and view the individual plan as the discounted plan for solo gamers.

Although only 8 accounts can go online, the big difference is that this means 8 consoles can go online at the same time from one subscription (vs. Only 2 from MS/Sony).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
$35/year is "a big ripoff" compared to $60/year?
I think the advantage with the PS4, if I understand it correctly, is you get to share both PS+ and your entire account's library too on a second console. Xbox One offers a similar feature too where you basically get 2 licenses for every digital download purchase (one for your account, and one for your primary console) so you could even play online multiplayer using just one copy of a digital game.

I think Nintendo only gives you online gaming for family members (and the NES/SNES app I think)

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
I agree OP, compared to PSN/XBL it is a bit of a slap in the face.
On the other platforms only the primary account needs to have plus/gold, then secondary accounts also get to enjoy the benefits. Nintendo's plans are cheaper, but require a family (or separate) sub for all profiles.

Nintendo's works well only for people with multiple Switches. In my situation we're sharing 1, so it's an overall negative.
But how? You're sharing on one system, so you should have the family plan. $35 is cheaper than $60. I only have one Switch, but I share a plan with two other families, so we're each paying about $12. What would owning multiple switches have to do with that?

I think the advantage with the PS4, if I understand it correctly, is you get to share both PS+ and your entire account's library too on a second console. Xbox One offers a similar feature too where you basically get 2 licenses for every digital download purchase (one for your account, and one for your primary console) so you could even play online multiplayer using just one copy of a digital game.

I think Nintendo only gives you online gaming for family members (and the NES/SNES app I think)
No... It works the same on PS4/Switch (don't know about Xbox).

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
User banned (3 weeks): Hostility against other members over a series of posts. Numerous previous bans for hostility.
No one is defending the service overall, just comparing the family plan between NSO and other equivalent subscription services. NSO clearly does family plan right.

At least you should learn and try to understand the thread before replying, don't you think?
lmao i bet you thought you looked like your anime avatar didnt you

everyone is absolutely defending NSO, especially comparing it to a service that costs more, but provides free games monthly.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is less bullshit than the alternative bullshit but it is still bullshit and nobody should like it.

OP
OP
Optional Objectives
Oct 27, 2017
Many of you are very right, and through the overwhelming force of your arguments I must accept that I am an insufferable whiner.

I would like to personally thank the number of replies informing me that I should round up a bunch of other people with whom we could split a subscription, thus bringing the price down to a very reasonable price of around $4/person. I should also thank those who have replied by explaining that, in fact, it is a good thing to pay more money for almost no additional functions. Oh! I should also remember to directly engage with those who are asking whether I would prefer it if there was only one tier of payment, at $35/annual. Paying $35 for a service with the same features as the one going for $20 does indeed seem like a bad deal. In no way would I prefer a $20/annual service that allowed all users of the same console to play online. For that matter, I would also detest being able to play online games without paying an additional fee.

Sincerest apologies to Shuntaro Furukawa, who in his benevolent wisdom has seen fit to provide a tiered price plan which can be so easily split.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
But how? You're sharing on one system, so you should have the family plan. $35 is cheaper than $60. I only have one Switch, but I share a plan with two other families, so we're each paying about $12. What would owning multiple switches have to do with that?
Why should we have a family plan? The primary account on the Switch already has a subscription, why does the secondary account need one too?
Plus/Gold just needs the primary to have one, you can have multiple secondary accounts using the same console, they will all get the plus/gold benefits.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, you really can find people defending any old bullshit, can't you?

Bruh I will take a free ticket to shit on paying for gaming online anytime. Especially Nintendos... But their pricing and flexibility is the absolute best of the all. Splitting it makes it cost next to nothing. Its best in class. I don't know what you want from me here.

Talk about the lag or something in Smash so I can join you. But right now I gots nothing...

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Lol this poll is exactly something you read in Conservative websites asking me how much I love Donald Trump.

... Seriously can we setup a GoFundMe for the OP to get that extra $15 dollars FOR THE YEAR so he can get that Family Membership? Let's come together and help out our own here!

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Wow, you really can find people defending any old bullshit, can't you?
Lol what kind of answers did you expect? Of the paid services, it's 33% the price of the other 2 individually, and splitting a family plan between you it's $17.50 each, for a year. Sorry you got used to free, but yeah there's bigger issues with the service than the pricing model.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Y'all, don't waste your time discussing anything with anyone who frames you disagreeing with them as a "defense force". All they care about is having their own personal feelings validated as The Truth™.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Why should we have a family plan? The primary account on the Switch already has a subscription, why does the secondary account need one too?
Plus/Gold just needs the primary to have one, you can have multiple secondary accounts using the same console, they will all get the plus/gold benefits.
Because you clearly need one per your posts. If you want the functionality provided by the $35 plan, why on Earth would you only get the $20 and complain that it doesn't do what the other plan does. You're just deliberately screwing yourself. And it's not like the option isn't there - it is, and it's cheaper than the competitions. Just because Nintendo offered a cheaper option than their already cheap option, doesn't mean you have to take it if it doesn't cater to your needs. It's like if you wanted a red car, but it comes in red and blue. So you got the blue one, but man isn't it just a little too blue, not really red enough? What a shitty car dealer that was to give you an option and you willfully picked the wrong one.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Same exact thing happened to me and my wife. That's a lot of BS but we are in because it's the only option to both get that sweet island life.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all, don't waste your time discussing anything with anyone who frames you disagreeing with them as a "defense force". All they care about is having their own personal feelings validated as The Truth™.

The funniest thing about this thread is that EVERYONE ACTUALLY HATES NINTENDO ONLINE. Like WE ALL pretty much agree that it sucks to pay for a barebones service that runs terrible in its most popular game: Smash Online. And there's no system level functionality and you need a freaking smartphone app to use it to communicate at any level.

... And the OP made a thread about the ONE thing we all actually like about the service: its cheap!

LOL

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Unless I understand the OP differently, I feel like people are sort of missing the point the OP is making when comparing the PS Plus sub to NSO.

If you have NSO on the primary switch, you should be able to play NSO on all the other switch accounts in the same system. From what I know, that actually isn't possible, is it?

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
does anyone know if the familly plan is region free (some one buys it in europe, some one else with an american nintendo ID uses it)

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
In comparison, it's like if I paid for PlayStation Plus and only one profile could use it. If any other profile wanted to play games online, BAM, better hand over a 75% surcharge, sucker!

What is this absolute bullshit?
Well, right now when you pay $60/yr for PS Plus other accounts can only use your Plus benefits on one system. With Switch you pay $35/yr for up to 8 people to use the benefits on as many systems as they want.

it's not like you're paying the same for less flexibility to share benefits. You're paying a lot less for less benefit-sharing functionality, and still way less for better sharing functionality.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

With Switch you can share your library in the exact same way as on PS4 with one other user on another Switch and I believe that function is actually completely separate from NSO, so that can be done for free.