• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
The obvious for me , I don't think this can be topped, wayy to recognizable and catchy:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
iconic? one winged angel, sure

not the best, but itll do

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

I know not really the main final boss though it basically is, but it's the first YouTube result if you search up "Final Boss Music" and search by most viewed.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here

www.youtube.com

Gwyn, Lord of Cinder - Dark Souls Soundtrack

The Music of Dark SoulsComposer: Motoi SakurabaTrack #22This soundtrack comes with the Japanese Collector's Edition.All Dark Souls material belongs to From S...

i love this theme so much

when it came back in dark souls 3 i teared up

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here

I know not really the main final boss though it basically is, but it's the first YouTube result if you search up "Final Boss Music" and search by most viewed.

honestly, Hopes and Dreams/SAVE the World is better in my opinion

(and is the actual final boss music :p)

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017

I honestly think it's this. At least among most people I know. I'm like 26 and was like three when FF7 came out, most people I know who are just like a little younger than me completely missed the boat on it. Meanwhile everyone I know who's into gaming instantly recognizes Megalovania. I guess for older millenials it's One Winged Angel, for younger millenials and zoomers it's Megalovania. And then vs. Red transcends age, but is also far from being the most iconic Pokemon song.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
OWA, then Megalovania (especially with the YOUTH), and then a wide, wide gap before anything else even comes close.

Shout out to this song, though, which I love, even if the game is pretty garbage (gets incredible at around 2:50):

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It's definitely One Winged Angel just in terms of how recognizable it is. I know a few people that don't really play RPGs but know it as "that one Final Fantasy song". There's a surprisingly large subset of people that first came to know it from Kingdom Hearts too, weirdly enough.

This is definitely the only other track that comes close to being as recognized as OWA, I'd say.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One Winged Angel is probably the winner.

The other final boss theme that comes to my mind right as you mention it is this.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the OP example

I fought Sephiroth on a 2-hour delay during a snowy day in elementary school, that memory will forever be seared into my mind

The stress of wondering if I was gonna pull it off before I had to go to school, the unforgettable music. Just amazing, an iconic scene from my own life lol

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This, enough said. I won.

really start at 1:00

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
OP said most iconic, not your personal favorites.

But then OP posted the actual answer, so fuck it. I'm gonna go with favorites.

MAAAA KUUUUU ROOOOOSSS

Last edited:

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
By ICONIC, do people mean most popular / well known, or most EXTRA. Because I can think of a couple of super EXTRA (in very different ways) final boss songs:

Baten Kaitos Origins:

Warioware Twisted:

But any of the Undertale final boss songs is great as well.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
I'll add my voice to the One Winged Angel crowd. Outside of OWA, I don't think there's ever been a theme that legitimately made me afraid of the boss I was facing. The Sephiroth fight is ridiculous on the so many levels to begin with (he literally destroys our solar system potentially multiple times), but OWA elevates it to an entirely different level.

Can't wait for the remake fight in 2040.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
This is the most iconic in my country, havent met a single person who played FFVII,
but this, you cant find a guy that doesnt know about Rugal.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I love other songs more like Darkness of the Unknown but yeah OP you answered the thread yourself when it comes to iconic, One Winged Angel is THE Final Boss song

Oct 25, 2017
It's OWA. Not really up for debate.

Shredder's theme in TMNT Tha Arcade Game is a great one.
I personally love the NES version.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You know people are just going to post their favourite regardless of how iconic, which FF7 probably wins.
You would have to separate it per console to even have much of a discussion, so N64 is between:

(the end to one of the most popular N64 games and also the Bond theme in general is iconic)

*lightning strikes in the background*

Last edited:

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I never really like to answer questions that are framed like "What is the most iconic/best/cool something something" because things are rarely that binary. There are many different final boss songs in gaming that are all iconic in their own way, there's no definitive way to say which is the "most" iconic. Many of them have already been mentioned in this thread.

One I would throw in the ring from recent memory is "It has to be this way" from Metal Gear Rising. Perhaps not the most well known song, but I like to think that it will stick with the people that have played the game:

www.youtube.com

Senator Armstrong Theme - It Has To Be This Way - Lyrics

One of the best final boss themes SENATOR ARMSTRONG FROM METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE!!!!!Like And Enjoy!!the content used in this video is not mii property...

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Hehe its fine if it's turned into a favorite final boss song topic, if so mine is :