• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is Doom's defining feature?

• Fast-paced shooting action

Votes: 422 77.3%
  • Vast maze-like stages

Votes: 63 11.5%
  • Mods, WADs, and add-ons

Votes: 36 6.6%
  • Thor 3: Ragnarok

Votes: 25 4.6%

• Total voters

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
I clicked on the thread thinking "no reloading" which I guess falls under the first option.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Movement and how it ties into encounter design, including things like being able to maneuver around enemy projectiles.
Also, I've always been a chaingun>>>shotgun person.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say originally, it was the fast shooting.

today though? the modding community, 100%. it's what's kept the game alive for almost 30 years now.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's a mix of the fast paced combat combined with the excellent level design. Outside of hitscan enemies the dodging of projectiles and using weaponry in an effective manner led to so many people playing the game.

Plus, having a basic in game timer and recording capabilities led to Doom being one of the first games to ever develop a speedrunning community that is still going strong today.

Modding and speedrunning are probably the long term forms of engagement the early games have, it's just so incredible and new mods keep things fresh.

ID Software built a masterpiece.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Fast-paced combat a lot of other FPS also have it, but no other game has the same level and encounter design.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first thing I think of when I think of DOOM is the shotgun sound and the imp (?) roaring in pain.

Oh, and mangled corpses always facing you.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Multiplayer. Imagine being able to play with a friend online in 1993.

Getting it to run on everything, including calculators.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's probably something like,

Game speed
Feeling of power
Big cool guns
Mowing down enemies

May 26, 2018
Honestly if it's only one of those, it's still not Doom.

Fast paced shooting describes Quake 3. Maze levels describes Wolfenstein 3D. Modability describes Half-Life.

It's all of them at once or it ain't DOOM.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Dun Dun Dun Dunna Dunna, Dun Dun Dun oierjierhjearghaoerghweauifiluawe. That fucking riff.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
The whole "fast movement" thing didn't really come into play until Doom 2016. Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Doom 64, and Doom 3 aren't really that fast. id didn't move to the whole super fast movement until Quake, which Doom 2016 feels like an extension of.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Fast-paced shooting action was already the defining feature of Wolf3D, so it's vast maze-like stages defined by BSP trees.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
The whole "fast movement" thing didn't really come into play until Doom 2016. Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Doom 64, and Doom 3 aren't really that fast. id didn't move to the whole super fast movement until Quake, which Doom 2016 feels like an extension of.

I'm not sure I even knew about the sprint key when I first played Doom back in '95 or so. And circle-strafing was nigh impossible when playing keyboard only.

Ton of fun having always-sprint on and circle-strafing with KB+M in source ports like GZDoom, though.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
Shooting things with guns in first person. While Wolfenstein did it first, Doom popularized the genre and the FPS genre began by emulating Doom.

Precisely this. For those of us of a certain age, the original Doom was mind blowing. The verticality that it added to Wolfenstein made everything just come alive. In Episode 1 Mission 1 when you turn left, walk up the steps to collect the armour and you have the windows and the sky box beyond… we'd just never seen anything like it.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Finding the blue key to open the blue door.

seriously, though.

clever self contained stages with lots of secrets.

as an aside, i've been playing doom 3 fully overhauled for VR with roomscale, motion controls etc and I've a new appreciation for that game. Having a wonderful, wonderful time withit.

Oct 25, 2017
The level design.
The dance between the perfectly balanced enemy types and your arsenal.

As perfectly as Eternal has brought that dance to the modern day and cranked it up to 11, I really wish the adventure aspect would also come back as strong.