• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
A Playtonic x Rare partnership for a Banjo Redooie or Threeie would be a pretty hype moment

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A Playtonic x Rare partnership for a Banjo Redooie or Threeie would be a pretty hype moment

I genuinely really enjoyed Yooka Laylee, but you can tell the game suffered from being pretty ambitious for such a small team. I think that's why Impossible Lair was so much tighter since it had a more smaller, linear scope.

Playtonic tackling the 3D collectathon genre again with more manpower behind them would work out really well I think.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
Made by Rare? Not a chance, but I can imagine Microsoft giving the IP to another studio tho, maybe Double Fine, Playground after they're done with Fable

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Ratchet & Clank doing well, Spyro back, Crash back, Super Mario Odyssey selling super well, and even games like Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom getting a remake, I think there's DEFINITELY room for a game like Banjo Kazooie 3. Would love to see it.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, they would be absolutely perfect for it, as Yooka-Laylee showed and it wouldn't require AAA funding. It would be a little weird though to see them leave to do cartoony platformers, only to see them back, doing what they left to do in the first place.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty bad chances unfortunately. It's been a no-brainer for years and yet MS has continued to drop the ball over and over. Rare doesn't want to make it, they won't let Playtonic make it, and they apparently consider it too legendary of an IP to farm it out to some random third party dev, so until one of those things changes it's looking like it'll never happen.

what are playtonic working on these days?

Not Banjo, and they frequently lament that they have to debunk the constant rumors on Twitter about it. My guess has long been that they're doing some kind of third or first person shooter spin-off starring Schell the Spacewitch from the first Yooka-Laylee, and presumably another 3D platformer as well.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I can't grasp how this hasn't been announced yet. As someone who doesn't care for Halo or Forza, I vowed that if MS were to put out an ambitious Banjo, Conker, or Alan Wake sequel, I'd buy an Xbox One.

Needless to say, I never bought an Xbox One.

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
I don't like how no one has mentioned Moon Studios being a good fit for a new Banjo game. Sure Playtonic has history with Rare, but they've made 2 games, 1 mediocre and 1 good. Moon has made 2 games, both amazing.

Maybe, when they're done with their next game, they can work with Rare on a new Banjo.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Spongebob got a remake. Crash and R&C are both getting $60 games. MS needs to remake the first 2 games at the very least.

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I don't like how no one has mentioned Moon Studios being a good fit for a new Banjo game. Sure Playtonic has history with Rare, but they've made 2 games, 1 mediocre and 1 good. Moon has made 2 games, both amazing.

Maybe, when they're done with their next game, they can work with Rare on a new Banjo.

Ha a game director literally replied above.

They would be amazing

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
As someone that owned and played the original two games, I still found Nuts and Bolts to be more enjoyable. Yeah, I said it.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't think Microsoft or Phil Spencer wants to have anything to do with this franchise anymore. Don't get me wrong. Phil has quite frankly did an amazing job turning around the Xbox brand and I'm excited for Series X but I have always got the impression that he never cared for the Banjo franchise. That being said it's just my intuition and speculation based on how little Microsoft has mentions Banjo before.

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Microsoft or Phil Spencer wants to have anything to do with this franchise anymore. Don't get me wrong. Phil has quite frankly did an amazing job turning around the Xbox brand and I'm excited for Series X but I have always got the impression that he never cared for the Banjo franchise. That being said it's just my intuition and speculation based on how little Microsoft has mentions Banjo before.
Rare wants to do new things and it wouldn't makes sense for anyone else to make a sequel, so screw it.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, what's Rare up to these days aside from Sea of Theaives updates?

And I bet Double Fine would like to give some Microsoft IPs a shot.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not up Phil, as bizzare as that sounds. He said to Rare make a "Rare" game for today's audience, and they came up with SoT. Like I said, if Gregg wants to make another Banjo, he will, there's no push back from MS . I personally don't think Gregg finds it exciting, he much rather make something new.

AustarusIV

Jan 8, 2019
I wish. The positive reception towards B&K's reveal in Ultimate should be a clear indication to Microsoft that the IP is still popular, but if it's in the works, I would bet that they want Rare themselves to do it. I don't know if they have enough manpower to do it considering they apparently have other games in the works (like Battletoads), and aren't most of the people who worked on B&K at Playtonic now?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware there is crossover. However, I see the potential with Playtonic after how much they improved with Impossible Lair (which is honestly a better game than anything Rare released at Microsoft).

Kameo is proof of a game that is better than mediocre?

Kameo is the definition of mediocre.

I'll give you Viva though. Fun game.

They did improve on it from launch, that's true. At launch, it was mediocre if not bad. Banjo needs to be great on day one.
Kameo would be flawed, but certainly not mediocre, it sits at 79, and for a launch game that pretty good. Viva is a masterpiece. SoT is great too (just finished a session just now).

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Definitely a low chance right now but if it ever did, it wouldn't be called Banjo-Threeie. Too confusing to say.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I don't think I want Rare to make this .

The people who made Banjo are basically all gone
Gregg Mayles did all of the level design in Banjo-Kazooie and what happens to be the particularly outstanding thing in Banjo-Kazooie? It's level design. I would love a new Banjo platformer with Gregg Mayles on board.

Well, Gregg Mayles isn't working on Sea of Thieves anymore
Where did you get that from?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
My mistake but I can't wait title

I'm sure there's a better title

Banjo KazooThree?
It's almost certainly going to be "Banjo-Threeie", if it ever gets made. As with Banjo-Tooie before it, it was teased verbatim by Gruntilda after her defeat:

supid-bear.png

Screenshot_20191019-141309.png

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I think there's a nonzero chance that Double Fine takes a crack at it after Psychonauts 2 releases.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's not up Phil, as bizzare as that sounds. He said to Rare make a "Rare" game for today's audience, and they came up with SoT. Like I said, if Gregg wants to make another Banjo, he will, there's no push back from MS . I personally don't think Gregg finds it exciting, he much rather make something new.

They could create a new studio to handle games like Banjo. They obviously did it with many of their other franchises.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I was going to chime in with some sort of pessimistic remark about how we'll never see a sequel..........but then when you think about what's been happening with Crash and Spyro, and when you consider the Smash appearance, there's no way nothing will happen with the IP. Something HAS to happen at some point. Even with my pessimism, I can't bring myself to ignore the signs.

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
The best dev to create it is Playtonic Games. They have most of the creative minds and talent behind the Banjo games and it showed with Yooka-Laylee. The problem with Yooka-Laylee (which I still enjoyed) was the low budget and small dev team. I have no doubts that if a large publisher backed them with a greater budget, allowing them to grow their team, that they'd be able to make the BK spritual successor many were hoping for. More on topic, Microsoft could outsource Banjo-Threeie to Playtonic (obviously they'd work more like a second party dev for this project) publishing the game and giving them the budget and resources they need to make the quality game we pine for.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
There's a 4chan rumor that says a BK remake is in the works at Rare. Of course take that with a HUGE grain of salt.

What I think is more likely is that MS will bring in an external developer to work on a BK game, under supervision from Rare (like what's going on right now with Battletoads). In the case MS goes through with buying WB Interactive, I could see Traveler's Tale working on Banjo.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still think that Banjo appearing in Smash isn't just a coincidence

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
Why couldn't someone else make a sequel?

Crash 4 is being made bu a different developer to the originals.
Part of the charm was the British humor and the level design. Now, as much as I like Double Fine, I don't think they would be able to replicate that experience. And as far as I'm aware DF is the only other studio capable of taking on a Banjo game.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
There's a 4chan rumor that says a BK remake is in the works at Rare. Of course take that with a HUGE grain of salt.

What I think is more likely is that MS will bring in an external developer to work on a BK game, under supervision from Rare (like what's going on right now with Battletoads). In the case MS goes through with buying WB Interactive, I could see Traveler's Tale working on Banjo.

Damn, I'm surprised Traveller's Tales still exists! They made some great collectathon platformers during the N64 days like Toy Story 2, so them working on Banjo would be interesting to say the least.