• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which model?

• OG 3DS

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • OG XL

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • OG 2DS

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • N3DS

Votes: 55 19.2%
  • N3DS XL

Votes: 135 47.2%
  • N2DS XL

Votes: 86 30.1%

• Total voters

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
new-nintendo-2ds-ll-liquid-metal-slime-edition-519937.4.jpg

Any other choice is wrong.

For reals though, I really like my regular-sized New 3DS.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
N2DSXL the 3D is a nice gimmick but I just don't like the build quality of the other N3DS units on the market currently.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I still have the 3DS XL, but I prefer to play on the purple 2DS XL because of how light it is, and because its purple!

::getpicross3dround2youcoward::

Jun 7, 2018
I went with the N3DS and got a bigger aftermarket battery, which lasts for like fifteen to twenty hours and, as a bonus, actually makes it more comfortable and substantial to hold for my liking (albeit at the expense of being heavier, obviously.)

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I went with the N3DS and got a bigger aftermarket battery, which lasts for like fifteen to twenty hours and, as a bonus, actually makes it more comfortable and substantial to hold for my liking (albeit at the expense of being heavier, obviously.)
Word? Such a thing exists, huh?

I've only got an OG, an XL, a New XL, but I've always wanted a "regular new 3DS." I've been curious in how it feels in hands and if I would actually miss the larger screen.

Plus... y'now, I've got two faceplate sets that I can't use without one lol (ambassador "kanji" plates, and the zelda black triforce plates).

OP
OP
ObbyDent

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
In my search to find the best model I've found out that the 2dsxl's battery isn't easily accessible and that you have to disconnect cords to do so. Probably the biggest reason to not touch that shit with ten foot pole

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
N3DS XL, screen is tiny on regular model, avoid (I have regular XL btw)

Btw why no poll? What's wrong with you OP?!??!!11?!

jk, but poll is better :*

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So, if I'm in the market for a 3DS, the N3DSXL is better than the N2DSXL, even if I don't care about 3D? It's built better? Cuz a N3DSXL used is basically the same price as the N2DSXL new...

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If N3DS had an IPS screen it would definitively be the best. I'd still choose it.

I had a special relationship to my white Nintendo DS Lite, I just really missed that console the whole time I had adopted the 3DS family. FINALLY, when N3DS shipped I got the white one, with its SNES button colors and all that, and now I have that same feeling about it.

I think form factor and aesthetic matters a whole lot when it comes to handheld gaming. The way the machine looks is part of what makes me want to turn it on.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I'd go for a New 3DS or New 3DS XL, whichever suits your tastes more in terms of size. In a pinch, I'd recommend the original 3DS XL, but really, just go for either of the New models. Can't go wrong, plus you still get the benefit of stereoscopic 3D (and despite popular opinion, it can be pretty damn amazing in some games).

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite is the regular N3DS but I currently use an XL for the top IPS screen. Build quality ain't great tho.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I had quite a few 3DS models over its lifespan and liked the 2DS best! Like you said, despite how weird it may look in a photo I found it to be really comfortable to use, even with big hands and in longer stretches. No hinge was great, and I found games looked great on the screen. Really like the 2DS shoulder buttons, too.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Regular n3DS. Perfect size. I think I own about 5 of these. One NTSC-U one I play on, one PAL one for homebrew (but I'm still using Ninjahax), and I've got three brand new, boxed ones unopened, I think. Imported a few during the Bestbuy Black Friday sales. I think they were going for $100.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
For the person that mentioned the OG 3DS ambassador model with the GBA games, that's not true. You can do a system transfer and move them to a newer model. Mine are on my n3DS.

Oct 30, 2017
The ambassador model (first 3DS model) is the best. Has 10 exclusives GBA games only available on that model. :P

you can transfer all that stuff though. i've owned every 3DS model and have all those games on my 2DS LL right now.

to answer OP, new 3DS is the best all-arounder if you can find it. new 2DS XL is best if you don't care about 3D.

DSi XL forever if you care about DS games.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
So im in the market for a 3ds/2ds for my 4 year old daughter who has been picking up playing games on my old WiiU, and I'm torn between the regular 2ds and the 2ds xl. Also our 2nd daughter is 1.5 years old.

The oldest plays on my switch with my Pro controller as well and thought about getting the switch lite for her but durability concerns, particularly with that large screen concern ne.

Anybody with fairly young ones out there with any expertise?

Last edited:

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Wait wait wait. A Switch Lite is only $50 more than a New 2DSXL?! Why are 3ds models still so expensive? Or why is the Switch Lite so cheap? Dude, it's never been a better time to get into Nintendo games.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the regular n3DS being my fave, I don't want to get a 2DS XL to add to my collection. I already have the n3DS XL.

OP
OP
ObbyDent

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
N3DS XL baby!

It has the same screen size as the OG 3DS.
Out of the ones not rendered obsolete by newer tech, it does have the smallest screen. I only count 2ds in the group because of its unique shape

So im in the market for a 3ds/2ds for my 4 year old daughter who has been picking up playing games on my old WiiU, and I'm torn between the regular 2ds and the 2ds so, our 2nd daughter is 1.5 years old.

The oldest plays on my switch with my Pro controller as well and thought about getting the switch lite for her but durability concerns, particularly with that large screen concern ne.

Anybody with fairly young ones out there with any expertise?

2ds is the only answer for you

Oct 31, 2017
Out of the ones not rendered obsolete by newer tech, it does have the smallest screen. I only count 2ds in the group because of its unique shape

Yeah, its screen is smaller than the n3DS but that's a detail people reading this thread should know if they wanna buy that one ;)

Its unique shape makes it great to hold as well.

The ambassador model (first 3DS model) is the best. Has 10 exclusives GBA games only available on that model. :P

Nope, I've got those games on my N3DSXL :P

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
After trying out a 2DS at a gamestop all I can say is WOW is it comfortable. I might end up getting both a 2DS and another model like you said.

I actually liked the 2ds xl and didn't feel like it was too cheap. I was actually surprised at how light it is.

Yeah the OG 2DS is really comfortable. You don't really get it just by looking at it, you have to hold it and play with it.

I wish Nintendo would release a "New 2DS" with the OG 2DS form factor but also the "New" features. That would be the absolute definite 3/2DS model.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
IPS screens are overrated on the N3DSXL; their main advantage is nullified by being able to tilt the screens on clamshell handhelds for an optimum viewing angle.

Everytime I go back to a N3DSXL from a N2DSXL, I can't help feeling how bulky it feels. There are subtle ergonomic changes for the better on the N2DSXL, including being lighter as well. There are some 3D games that look okay on a N3DSXL, but for a portable I'd take the N2DSXL. It does have mediocre speakers, but this is easily fixed by quality headphones.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Yeah the OG 2DS is really comfortable. You don't really get it just by looking at it, you have to hold it and play with it.

I wish Nintendo would release a "New 2DS" with the OG 2DS form factor but also the "New" features. That would be the absolute definite 3/2DS model.
I like the 2ds when I bought it just for Pokémon red

OP
OP
ObbyDent

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
IPS screens are overrated on the N3DSXL; their main advantage is nullified by being able to tilt the screens on clamshell handhelds for an optimum viewing angle.

Everytime I go back to a N3DSXL from a N2DSXL, I can't help feeling how bulky it feels. There are subtle ergonomic changes for the better on the N2DSXL, including being lighter as well. There are some 3D games that look okay on a N3DSXL, but for a portable I'd take the N2DSXL. It does have mediocre speakers, but this is easily fixed by quality headphones.
Not being able to remove the battery without taking cords out kills it though.

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017
Bought myself a N2DS XL earlier this year and I'm happy with it. I've played both DS/3DS games on it.

It's cheaper and lighter/smaller than 3DS and I don't care about the 3D effect. The only things I can complain about are the upper lock is slightly loose and the shoulder buttons are very small.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
How often do you need to do this? And taking cords out to do this is a deal breaker?
Every 4 to 5 years of average usage on the 3DS device is when you need to replace the battery. No need to take out cords at all.

This is for the 3DS models (OG, New, and New XL), not the 2DS models. I don't know about the 2DS models.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
all these people with the "buy a Switch" posts lmao

yeah ok I am glad I can play so many 3DS games on my Switch.

OP i'd say get N3DS or N3DS XL, or N2DSXL if you dont want 3D

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Every 4 to 5 years of average usage on the 3DS device is when you need to replace the battery. No need to take out cords at all.

This is for the 3DS models (OG, New, and New XL), not the 2DS models. I don't know about the 2DS models.
Okay thanks. So something that may need changing every 5 years or so, and some wires getting in the way to do this is a deal breaker for the OP is rather strange.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Those links don't work for me, but perhaps it's because I'm based in the UK. In any case, those refurb models should be useful for those looking for the system but can't find it. Thanks!