• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which model?

• OG 3DS

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • OG XL

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • OG 2DS

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • N3DS

Votes: 55 19.2%
  • N3DS XL

Votes: 135 47.2%
  • N2DS XL

Votes: 86 30.1%

• Total voters

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So I've decided to own a 3DS again after selling mine years ago. Figured I need to keep one for posterity's sake. The problem I'm running into is that there doesn't seem to be a definitive version:

3DS = Rendered obsolete by N3DS
3DS XL = Rendered obsolete by N3DSXL
2DS =Apparently very comfortable, although has the smallest screen. Lack of hinge means will theoretically last longer
New 3DS = Smaller and lighter, smaller screen than XL
New 3D XL = Larger screen, pixels are FAT. SD card is in worst spot
New 2DS XL = lighter, smaller bezels, apparently cheaper plastic and a worse battery life vs. N3DSXL

So like...? Which do y'all have? Which do you recommend? It's important to state that I also plan on modding mine.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I have a new 3DS, I think it's the best model if you care for 3D. XL is too big for the 3DS res imo.

I think it's a hard to find cheap model because it ceased production long ago.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
N3DSXL is my favorite so far by far. My biggest gripe is the hunt for an IPS screen on top or dual IPS screens since they only made them for about first half of however long they lasted until the N2DS XL came out. The Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter models from launch had a pretty good rate for having IPS screens and they were hit or miss until around the time the Galaxy model came out and I am pretty sure they have all been TN since then. I would try hunting a used one at GS or something and see if you can find one with a nice screen.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I would avoid the old 3DS and 2DS if at all possible. Having that extra CPU and RAM really helps on the games that support it. Plus you get SNES Virtual Console if that's your thing!

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
N3DS XL, absolutely. The SD card location fuckery is tragic, and lousy yellow-tinted screens are a sad reality, but the button arrangement is what you want if you have adult hands.

N2DS XL is a shame in terms of cheapness. The d-pad is way too shallow, and all four trigger buttons on mine got flimsy way too quickly.

Or raid an old 3DS factory and get the old-school 3DS XL in hopes of finding some IPS panels, because.......

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it's the N3DSXL, maybe not so much for the 3D functionality but for the better battery life.

The New 3DS is good too if you prefer your device a bit more compact.

N2DSXL is a good compromise overall, nice and rugged design too, but I do slightly prefer the N3DSXL.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
A New 3DS XL with dual IPS screens and custom firmware would be the holy grail 3DS, but it's going to cost you. You can get by with just a top IPS screen, though, since that's what you're going to be looking at most of the time. IPS 3DSes pop up on eBay often, and it's worth the price premium. It's honestly ridiculous that Nintendo ever put TN screens on a handheld; the colours wash out wildly with just a slight tilt of the console.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
2DS just because it has the lowest barrier of entry outside of going used.

If you want to experience the gimmick along with the games get a model that has it.

OP
OP
ObbyDent

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
N3DS XL, absolutely. The SD card location fuckery is tragic, and lousy yellow-tinted screens are a sad reality, but the button arrangement is what you want if you have adult hands.

N2DS XL is a shame in terms of cheapness. The d-pad is way too shallow, and all four trigger buttons on mine got flimsy way too quickly.

Or raid an old 3DS factory and get the old-school 3DS XL in hopes of finding some IPS panels, because.......

I dont know if I have adult hands, Im 5 foot 2 lol. Would you recommend the regular n3ds?

Nov 8, 2017
I wish I had gone the smaller regular n3DS, but I got the Majora's Mask 3DS XL which I kind of hate the look of, and on top of that it also emphasizes how low res everything is with the larger screen.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Try a form of 3D before committing to a 2DS or a 2DS XL.

3DS games almost invariably look like ass, but with 3D some of them can become quite gorgeous.

OP
OP
ObbyDent

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Try a form of 3D before committing to a 2DS or a 2DS XL.

3DS games almost invariably look like ass, but with 3D some of them can become quite gorgeous.
I've owned a 3ds in the past. Never enjoyed the 3d so I'm not married to it. If I get a 3ds instead of the 2ds I'll probably keep it turned off

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Having had a few models I actually prefer my new3ds non xl model, prefer the higher ppi in terms of image quality to the lower of the XL. Love the snes buttons and can be made a bit more full with a case if you have bigger hands its the best of both I got rid of my n3dsxl but ymmv.

PS. Currently playing through Luigi's Mansion on the road to Luigi's Mansion 3 on the switch :)

Jan 2, 2018
I really like my N2DS XL- it's lighter than the N3DS XL, it has less bezel on the sides and looks more modern ,and the SD card is accessed much more easily. I don't care about 3D,but if it's important to you, this one is not an option.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
My N3DSXL broke recently so I got a N2DSXL. It's pretty good, nice and light. I did notice the battery drains faster but I love the easier to access SD card slot and the cover that prevents cartridges from popping out in your pocket. I do miss having the option for 3D but I can't say I used it all that much in the later years.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Normal New 3DS. Sharper visuals thanks to the smaller screens and cool cover plates if you can grab some.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
New 3DS not-XL are so rare... I can't fine them anywhere cheap since 2016 at least!

But I am ineterested as well in buy a 3ds system I only have a 2DS XL and I think I am missing something.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
I'd say the easiest to find new wherever you live, so you could be looking at 2DS or the XL version. Regular is comfy due to its non pocket friendly shape but the XL has everything else going for it like the greater Virtual Console compatibility.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Definitely buy one of the New models. The better specs make it a more enjoyable experience all around.

The N3DS to me has the advantage of higher ppi. Looking at the screen is just nicer, though, if you've got glasses like I do, it can be quite hard on the eyes to use that 3.8(?)" display all the time. It's just really small.

The N2DS XL and N3DS XL both have pros and cons. Compared to the N3DS, their ppi is just shit and games look worse. Due to the bigger panels, tho, it's also easier on the eyes.
The N3DS XL is rather heavy, too, which gave me cramps after a while in combination with the form factor. The N2DS XL is more bearable in that department, maybe the most comfy out of those three. Its speakers are the worst of the bunch, tho. As is its battery life, which is rather bad imo.

If you can get a N3DSXL for max 200 bucks, I'd get that (which can be quite tricky already). If not, then the N2DSXL. Or if you'd rather have the smaller display with higher ppi, get the standard N3DS. Which display size fits you the most should be easy for you to decide, tho. Just compare them directly (maybe in a local store, if available) and I think you'll figure out whether you want the small or big screen.

Last edited:

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
N3DS XL with IPS top screen is the definitive 3DS. Search until you find one.
Don't overlook the massive DS library though, DSi XL is the way to go there. Those had guaranteed IPS top and bottom screens.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
N3DS or N3DS XL if your budget can handle it.

Unfortunately they're getting really expensive now, and it's kind of hard to find used ones without scratches.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Regular N3DS. Compatible with alm games, has 3D, good ppi count, lightweight and portable. Also: cover plates. Can't go wrong with it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend the New 3DS/XL models.
They have the best build quality, and Super-Stable 3D is a significant improvement over the original 3DS models. I never play games without 3D now.

A lot of people here seem to recommend New 2DS XL models because they "never use 3D" but it seems that most upgraded from an original 3DS/XL model and have never used a New 3DS model with Super-Stable 3D.
I don't really see any reason to buy the original 3DS/XL models now.

If you mostly plan on using the system at home, I recommend getting a grip for it. It's more comfortable and makes the circle pad much smoother to use, since it takes the pressure off it.
Hori's Monster Hunter XX grip is best, but prices of those seem to have gone up a lot now. Most should be an ergonomic improvement, but may lack the buttons/stand that the XX grip has.
s-l1600hhsqv.jpg
s-l1600gnsn9.jpg
s-l1600ebsu2.jpg

I'm not sure why so many are complaining about the SD card slot being under the cover of the n3DS XL. You know that they added wireless file transfer to the New models, right?
The only downside is that the wireless file transfer uses SMBv1 which is deprecated and a potential security risk now - so it's disabled by default on Windows 10. It can be re-enabled temporarily (only do this on your home network) or if you have the Pro version of Windows 10 I recommend that you create a virtual machine in Hyper-V and enable it there. That way you can just leave it enabled and access any SMBv1 devices safely by loading the VM.
Maybe I got lucky, but the screens on my n3DS XL are definitely not yellow-tinted. If anything, they seem slightly cooler than they should be, measuring a few hundred kelvin higher than my iPhone display (using a phone app - so relative differences can be measured but absolute values will not be accurate).
A lot of people seem to complain about "yellow tinted" displays on mobile devices when they're actually used to looking at blue-tinted displays - so a neutral white looks "yellow" in comparison until you adjust to it.

Or raid an old 3DS factory and get the old-school 3DS XL in hopes of finding some IPS panels, because...
I don't think any of the original 3DS models used IPS panels; only the New ones.
The Hyrule n3DS XL is the system that is most-likely to have dual-IPS displays. I will say that it does look a lot better in person than many of the images online, but my preference would have been to buy a white system.
61551355_5333636104011qkvt.jpg

If I could get these systems with IPS displays, I'd buy all of them.

Most 3DS games feel like "one screen" games to me, compared to original DS games that made more use of the bottom screen for games rather than just menus/maps etc. so if you can only get a top IPS display that is probably fine.
Certain models and serial numbers are more likely to be IPS/TN than others, but it is not a guarantee. This is not a definitive list, but may help:
3ds-ips-c4kms.png

2DS models only ship with TN displays, never IPS.

I dont know if I have adult hands, Im 5 foot 2 lol. Would you recommend the regular n3ds?
I'm not sure that the button sizes have any difference across 3DS models. The n3DS/XL buttons seem to be positioned the same too, so I doubt the size would be a problem for most people.
The larger display makes a big difference in my opinion, especially when most people are used to bigger displays on phones and other devices now.
The pixel density is low on either of the displays, but the size bothers me on the non-XL - so I don't think anyone should make their decision based on that.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Regular N3DS is the perfect screen ratio. Not too big not too small, comfortable to hold, and with the ability to customize it with faceplates.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Regular N3DS + grip (I personally got an off-brand cheap one)

The best of both worlds.

But be advised, the regular new model when closed doesn't have a full closure, so dust can get in easily and get caught in the hinge, scratching it.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Regular New 3DS is the way to go, IMO. Perfect size, and the improved stability for 3D is nice. Been playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on it for the first time recently and couldn't imagine playing it on any other model.

Not sure how easy finding one in the US is these days though, considering they were almost always only made available as part of a bundle. (I own the Pokemon Red & Blue 20th Anniversary New 3DS myself)

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I doubt anyone else will agree, but I really like the 2DS doorstop. It's ridiculously durable and ridiculously cheap, not to mention it's the most comfortable model IMO.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
New 3DS = Smaller and lighter, smaller screen than XL

If you can find one, I think this is the best: you will get the improved specs, cover plates, and smaller screen (but not too small) that will improve the pixel density and the overall look of the games, it is also a bit bigger than the original model.

To be honest though, New 3DS XL is more immersive for some game because of the bigger screens, but some games can look really ugly on it.

I prefer both over 2DS XL because of 3D, it is a unique feature for the 3DS system so why sacrifice it, better to have it.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Get both the OG 2DS and New 2DS XL. That way you get the most durable and comfortable OG model, and the sleekest and best New model.

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love my new 3ds xl. Pixels and resolution are fine.

The 3d effect is great, much better than I remember on my original 3ds.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
New 3DS is the best.

The smaller form factor without impacting hand size, swapable plates for extra customization, and all the benefits of the XL without being stupid large.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I owned an OG 3DS since launch. It was falling apart, so last year my wife got me a New 2DS XL. I loooooove it. Haven't really tried the n3DSXL so I can't compare, but this seems definitive to me. Love the color scheme too.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I borrowed my brother in law's N3DS XL when I was looking to upgrade from my original 3DS XL, and after some time I ended up deciding to go with a normal sized N3DS instead.

I don't regret it one bit. Image quality is better, it fits in my pocket, and I love the occasional ebay hunt for new rare face plates (I still need that glow in the dark Boo plate).

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I know everyone's already chimed in here, but man, I hate XL models. I'm sure everyone who complained about how low-res the 3DS is, was probably playing on an XL model, it just exacerbates it so badly to be blown up so large. Honestly I like the look of the original 3DS the most because it's even more compact than the New 3DS, but of course I can't really give up the additional bells and whistles.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any of the New models are fine. I had a N3DS and now I have a N2DS XL and like them both equally.

The original 2DS has see through models you can get (crystal blue + crystal red), but they're too expensive and not worth it anymore since you have to buy them second hand. Plus, the original 2DS has a slower CPU.