• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That I, a software engineer/website developer, can fix your printer.....

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Software having bugs does not mean the developers are lazy or incompetent. Software has bugs because if we waited til every single bug was fixed, it would literally never be released.
Gaming threads are always super interesting because you can tell who doesn't know anything about how coding and software development work.

"you must read books all day"

me: blank stares, wondering when the hell I get a chance to read books if I'm shelving them and/or checking them out to people (granted I don't get to deal with the public much since increased covid cases forced us to go back to curbside service)

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the takes from gamers are wild. Resetera is relatively tame and well informed, but even here I see some crazy stuff once in a while. Different roles exist and members of the same team can have different areas of focus.
Honestly, I think sometimes that makes it worse. Like, there are people here who believe they know more than they do and make wild assumptions sometimes.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Google translate will replace translators. If freaking only I could put my current 300 pages long project through a translator and get a half decent result 😭

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
With just my cursory knowledge of ballet, my understanding is that it is hard as FUCK.

I decided to see if I could do en pointe for funsies or see how far I could get... Elected to stop such as to not break my toes.

Well to be fair to you, that's not exactly something beginners can do! I took lessons for years before starting pointe work.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Film/TV/game critic here: that Rotten Tomatoes decides whether our reviews are fresh/rotten (it's all self-submitted so we do it), also that there's a line of companies with money to bribe reviewers for their positive opinions.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I work in television and film. I've even sold a feature.

The "Man of Steel with Color" video that blew up drove me and a colleague crazy once we saw it. It was so transparently doctored to make the OG movie inauthentically desaturated and lower exposure. The "fixed" footage looked awful, too.

Plenty of people spoke up about the video being bullshit, but by then it was already viral.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a ton of ignorance about how taxes work. Every tax season I enjoy the slew of posts like this on Reddit/Twitter:

My favorite part (you can actually see it happen in the above Twitter thread) is when actual tax pros show up and tell people like the OP why they're wrong, and get shouted down by other commenters.

But if I could choose 1 thing I wish every person understood about taxes, it would be how marginal tax rates work. The amount of people that ask questions like, "I got a raise, is this gonna push me into a new tax bracket and screw me over??" is too damn high.

To be fair this is understandable with how the IRS communicates.

Sometimes they tell you you owe something, but they don't actually say how much.. whilst also saying that until the issue is resolved you will be incurring fees, but they don't say what those fees are. Of course the jail part is exaggerated, and I haven't read the other posts in that thread.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
As a journalist: it doesn't matter how obvious who committed the crime, there has to be an "allegedly" there and it's not just so the newspaper can avoid a lawsuit in the future. Nobody wants defense attorneys to use the press as proof of jury contamination.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
No, lightning rods do not infact attract lightning to your house/structure. Instead they help redirect a potential lightning strike to the wires we attach to the rods that then run straight to the strategically placed grounds around the outside of your property.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
I'm a teacher so here are a few:

Teacher's unions make it impossible to fire bad teachers.

Bullshit. All unions afford members is due process and prevent teachers from being fired at will. When I was already tenured I pissed off my principal - who was a fucking asshat - and I was told by the union I could be out of a job within a year depending on how aggressively he pursued going after me.

I played the game and the storm passed but unionization isn't the suit of armor people think it is, although it's still nice to have.

Teachers work five hours a day

Again, bullshit. The amount of personal time I've spent grading, lesson planning, and making supplemental materials is off the charts. I know teachers that clock in at 6:30 AM and don't go home until 5:00 PM. Hell, when I took maternity leave after my daughter was born I still opted to basically teach remotely because the sub couldn't give them what I could.

Anybody can teach

Good fucking luck with this one. I've taught middle school for sixteen years in a low socio-economic district and the skillset to not only manage a class filled with thirteen-year-olds but to also get them engaged and learning isn't something anyone can do anymore than anyone can be a surgeon, a programmer or a pilot.

Standardized Testing is a Necessity

Standardized testing is a complete waste of time that only serves to enrich test-makers while forcing teachers to literally winnow down their curriculum to prepare students for these bullshit exams.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IT- and the idea that all tech workers are rich. People hear about the employees of Google, Facebook, Apple and other "big tech" companies being extremely well compensated, and they are. But while those companies are big in terms of mindshare and profits, in terms of employees they're actually pretty small, and hire the talent elite only. The majority of the tech world, the day to day running of IT for businesses, that was hyped up as the mass middle class employment sector of the future to replace manufacturing, has been hollowed out by offshoring to low wage countries and other forms of corporate cost cutting for shareholder value.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the funeral industry.
Paul_Bearer_bio--709d1387320c3947089e11ef8480ae2b.jpg

Reality is that most funeral parlors are family operated and service-oriented businesses. Around 50 percent of the businesses are run by women, so the stereotype of the pale middle aged man with grey skin and black suit couldnt be farther from the truth.

Oct 27, 2017
I know mainstream media definitely has some corruption/bias issues, but I have a few classmates who have become successful journalists and I know for a fact they do their very best to present truthful, objective news. Really drives me up the wall seeing all these MSM ARE OWNED BY THE EVIL CABAL blah blah bullshit.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Former soldier, people still think all military personnel get deployed, shoot people...honestly unless you're infantry, you'll probably never seem combat (and even then the chances are slim as hell). Soldiers are just brainwashed killers,nope most soldiers I knew at least were normal people who used the Army to their advantage, not everyone joins out of desperation. All Soldiers are not patriots either, I think I've only met like 3 people who said they joined due to "patriotism".

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
when actual tax pros show up and tell people like the OP why they're wrong, and get shouted down by other commenters.

Once you actually know about something, watching randos on the internet talk about it really reveals how much of our discourse is led by popularity, memes, unearned confidence and browbeating in lieu of actual understanding.

Feb 2, 2019
I work in non-profit. People finally seem to understand that donating food is great, but if you give money instead, you'll feed a lot more people.

This. I work as a nonprofit fundraising consultant - and worked at a food bank. Multi-year general operating funds enable organizations to actually accomplish their missions. Restricting gifts to specific funds tends to do more harm than good imo.

Also....working at a nonprofit is not something you do as a 'sunset career' to give back to your community...it is a legit profession that requires unique skills and experience.

Oh man. Yah. I don't do food anymore, but I did international work and now environment. The amount of people who are like, "I don't want my money to go to utilities or something, I want it to be for (tangible thing here)."

Cool, but we still have staff that, you know, need utilities to do their jobs that make all this happen. It's just rearranging chairs. Will just move money from our core budget if needed to balance it out.

Basically, donate to a nonprofit you trust and then ... trust them.

Preach! Fund overhead costs - they are so vital to an effectively run organization. "Only 5% of our budget goes to overhead" either means they are underpaying staff OR they are wrapping up some costs into programming to make it seem like their overhead is low. When do donating to an org, focus on impact and like you said, trust them to do great work.

/Stepsoffsoapbox

Last edited:

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
IT Security. When people think that hacking is just a couple of key presses and BAM! You're in!
And the lack of understanding around Social Engineering and how most breaches b/c of careless users.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017

Reality is that most funeral parlors are family operated and service-oriented businesses. Around 50 percent of the businesses are run by women, so the stereotype of the pale middle aged man with grey skin and black suit couldnt be farther from the truth.

This whole time I thought you were a lawyer because of your avatar.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's only a matter of time.
The industry has been actually growing, though.

www.cnbc.com

As the Earth feels ever smaller, demand for translators and interpreters skyrockets

In an increasingly globalized economy, companies and government agencies alike need more translators and interpreters.

In my case, I translate instruction manuals and tech-related documentation for my company. We can't even outsource these translations because you need access to the prototype camera, monitor, etc. to actually know how it works and how its functions can be properly explained in other languages. Translating is not simply changing words. And neither is localization, which requires further cultural understanding.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017

You do shout "OH YES!!!" in a high pitched voice though right?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
When AI can comprehend the surrounding paragraph and draw from real world knowledge and experience to inform its translations
And in time it will be able to. I wouldn't be surprised if in 20 years we have something close to a perfect universal translator. Like, 20-years-ago we didn't even have maps of the entire planet at our finger tips and relied on paper or very horrible satellite GPS that cost a fortune.

Flannel_and_Assam

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 21, 2020
United Kingdom
My academic field is Japan and there's a lot of incorrect beliefs or assumptions regarding history and culture, but it's the myth that Japan is inherently weird and wacky that annoys a lot of my Japanese colleagues.
If something is priced incorrectly you must sell it to the customer for that lower price. While many shops will honor the price if there's not much difference they are under no obligation to do so. You're not legally entitled to get a £400 item for £40 just because a zero fell off the shelf.
In a similar vein, legal tender has a very narrow and specific definition (at least in the United Kingdom) regarding debts that has no bearing on everyday life. It does not mean you have the right to pay for this packet of Polos with a £50 note. Whenever a customer started talking about legal currency, The Office came to mind.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly, I think sometimes that makes it worse. Like, there are people here who believe they know more than they do and make wild assumptions sometimes.
True. There's a bit of "it has to have been this" assumptions when a game gets cancelled/delayed/whatever, and usually it's like... probably not, but even if you're right that was a big assumption.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
I haven't been able to work in the field yet because of covid (I only graduated as a flight attendant last year), but the ignorance amongst the public about almost everything in the aviation industry pisses me off. No, we do not lose your luggage on purpose. No, pilots do not do anything for 13 hours in a 14 hour flight. There could be a group of 10 businessmen working at their laptops in the cabin and the pilots would still be the hardest working people in the airplane. No, flight attendants are not just 'waiters in the sky', the amount of training we have to go through just to keep your face safe. My parents used to think that it was just serving food and drinks, but them seeing me come back home and tell them about everything I learned that day for THREE years straight changed their minds. There's a lot more involved.

Oct 27, 2017
I do regulatory stuff for drinking water utilities and whenever I mention that there's new ideas on how there are improvements to be made to the monitoring process to better plan treatment and decrease risk of any contaminants being at a dangerous level, I get told the same bullshit:

"Well you know, anyone around here who has a degree and isn't poor just buys bottled water anyways"

Bottled water which gets tested for a lot less and doesn't have any transparency to the consumer on what levels of contaminants it actually has. Even I have no way of knowing of accessing any data on it. It's basically if you took tap water, tested it less, and then threw it into a wasteful plastic container. People always make the stupidest assumptions whenever they're paranoid about health bullshit.

Um....there's just too much damn 5G. Nothing can be done about it.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
That all lawyers are bastards.

OP asked for incorrect beliefs ;D.

There's a ton of ignorance about how taxes work. Every tax season I enjoy the slew of posts like this on Reddit/Twitter:

My favorite part (you can actually see it happen in the above Twitter thread) is when actual tax pros show up and tell people like the OP why they're wrong, and get shouted down by other commenters.

But if I could choose 1 thing I wish every person understood about taxes, it would be how marginal tax rates work. The amount of people that ask questions like, "I got a raise, is this gonna push me into a new tax bracket and screw me over??" is too damn high.

Just two I saw in the past half hour..

aLsDbOI.png

mdrmEGS.png

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Last gig I worked was marketing for surgical instruments. I don't think anyone has even thought of this profession outside of the purchasing department at hospitals :(

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That all gas meters and all their manufacturers wants to fuck with you, so their meters are actually rigged to measure +inf. % of what they actually should. If they would know the incredible amount of tests these products go through..

Nov 8, 2017
That to be a programmer/software developer, you need to be good at maths. Also that software developers are the best people to help you fix your computer (I hardly use Windows except for work, and we have an IT department to fix anything that goes wrong with my work laptop).

IT field. The idea that windows 10 is horrible. No it's not.
As someone who has used Linux almost exclusively for the last 20 years, I find Windows 10 to be horrible.