• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
We have had quite a few trophy/achievement discussions on this forum, let's see if trophies or achievements can get any more interesting for people currently not interested in hunting or obtaining them.

So imagine this:
*pling* - Platinum trophy unlocked.
Move to your profile page and select trophies, choose the game you just completed and click on that juicy platinum trophy. You will now have an option to 'order' your reward for completing the game.

So what I mean with this is that for every platinum trophy you get you would have the option to order a reallife collectible for display, just like a reallife trophy. I would recommend it to be just a small thing, like a small figurine or collectible coin like Bend Studio gave out to employees that achieved the Platinum.

Would you be more engaged with trophies and or achievements if this would be a thing for next gen maybe? Would you be willing to pay for the reallife collectible? If yes, just shipping or also a small fee for the collectible itself?

Personally I already like to collect trophies in games, and for some games I even go Platinum like mainly all PS4 exclusives, because the trophies are not too tedious and actually fun to collect. Ubisoft also has a nice trophy distribution in their games I think. Currently only have 19 myself, but I would love to have reallife counterparts of those Platinums and I would even be willing to pay a bit for them. Let's say €5 (max) each + local shipping would be acceptable for me.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Bungie nailed this concept with the Bungie Rewards system and the seals. If you never played Destiny 2 basically a Seal is a title you get after completing a set of triumphs/achievements thematic to a DLC or part of the game. Once you complete it you get a unique Bungie Reward code that allows you to buy a physical version of said Seal, without completing that seal you can't buy the item on the store since the price is absurd high on purpose. It's $777,777.77 and once you get the code it lowers to $19.99

Here's for example the Chronicler seal, which is the title for collecting all the pieces of lore to several lore books in the game.

This special Bungie Reward offer is only available to players who earn the title Chronicler in Destiny 2: Forsaken by completing the Lore Seal Triumphs. The code for this offer must be claimed from the Bungie Rewards page by 08/31/19 11:59PM PST. This date has been extended from its original published date.

With code, the collectible medallion pin is $19.99.
  • Overall Dimensions: 1.78" x 1.51" Wide
  • Packaging Dimensions: 3.5" x 3.5"
  • Materials: Antiqued bronze metal (zinc alloy)
  • Part of the Destiny Official Pin Collection
  • A Bungie Rewards exclusive collectible item

Chronicler_render_1000x1000_86335f98-f4d1-40ae-9bf1-ce373603b796.png

Last edited:

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, imagine working on days gone for years and then spending 80 hours of your personal time to get a meaningless milestone in it. Those employees should have given therapy, not a trinket.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) It would have to be very hard(each and every trophy imo)
2) There would have to be a way to verify it was legitimately obtained(this would be tricky)

Otherwise there's no point and a waste of resources to execute.

OP
OP
Aztorian

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Bungie nailed this concept with the Bungie Rewards system and the seals. If you never played Destiny 2 basically a Seal is a title you get after completing a set of triumphs/achievements thematic to a DLC or part of the game. Once you complete it you get a unique Bungie Reward code that allows you to buy a physical version of said Seal, without completing that seal you can't buy the item on the store since the price is absurd high on purpose. It's $777,777.77 and once you get the code it lowers to $19.99

Here's for example the Chronicler seal, which is the title for collecting all the pieces of lore to several lore books in the game.
That's crazy! I wonder if anyone purchased the seal without the code though. I remember someone telling me about a shirt they could buy from the Bungie store after doing something similar in Destiny 1. Although I thought a shirt was kind of lame..

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't care about Platinum trophies as is, so having to actually buy one myself sounds even less interesting.

If I'd get it for free though, I might actually spend time to get one. But just the one as a novelty bit. But that's because I don't think the trophies signify the achievement of any amount of great skill, just that you are willing to waste more free time than is good for you. So it's not something you really parade around.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I wouldn't mind something like Playstation Home, but where you had a room full of custom trophies that you could walk around and admire.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
That's crazy! I wonder if anyone purchased the seal without the code though. I remember someone telling me about a shirt they could buy from the Bungie store after doing something similar in Destiny 1. Although I thought a shirt was kind of lame..

Nah you can't, you get an error code if you try to buy it at that price, it's more like joke/easter egg due Bungie's obsession with the number 7.

T-shirts, replicas of weapons from the game and the seals pins are the latest items under this system which is great as a whole, too bad shipping is damn expensive for me lol. It is worth mentioning that these items are available to buy during limited time, it's a good window of time though, a couple of months, giving even a higher collector value to those items since they're basically a limited run.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
A form of reward system would be nice. Maybe not physical items, but something like themes and avatars.

That already exists on Xbox since the 360 days, and it's indeed a good idea, but I haven't seen it used lately. When Challenges were still a thing at the start of this generation (timed challenges that did not increase your Gamerscore, but gave you other things instead), you could even unlock in-game bonuses.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Trophies and rewards tied to Playstation Home would be really cool too. I made a thread about a hypothetical return of PS Home for PS5 with this in mind some time ago.

For the trainwreck it was, I kind of miss Home. I fondly remember them having an E3 event where you could walk around virtual E3 booths and watch trailers. Kind of sad it had to go, had a lot of potential. I'll check out your other thread later. Thanks.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I want a physical jar of mayo painted platinum.

Honestly though, more need to follow the Horizon (among others) method of a free avatar/theme when you get the plat.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
A form of reward system would be nice. Maybe not physical items, but something like themes and avatars.

Yup, I've said exactly the same thing a few times. I've always likened it to Fortnite's challenges where you get in-game items depending on what challenges you meet. It's a much stronger incentive to tick off these objectives.

However I can see the appeal of a physical reward. Maybe some sort of 3D print wouldn't be too expensive if people really wanted something. Something like a Hunter figurine for platinum-ing Bloodborne would be pretty sweet.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Like, actually made of platinum? No thanks, that stuff is really expensive. A trophy made of pure platinum the size of a 1 euro cent coin would set you back hundreds of euros in material costs alone.

Oct 28, 2017
I recently learned that God of War 2019 does this. A few hour after platinuming it, I got an email with a code for a special set of avatars not on PSN.

There's a few first party games that have these. List here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/platinum-trophy-reward-terms-and-conditions/

Kind of weird that they send them via email instead of doing it via the system automatically, like Microsoft did on the 360. Was always nice to get a bunch of avatars for smashing a game.

OP
OP
Aztorian

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
I recently learned that God of War 2019 does this. A few hour after platinuming it, I got an email with a code for a special set of avatars not on PSN.
There's a few first party games that have these. List here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/platinum-trophy-reward-terms-and-conditions/

Kind of weird that they send them via email instead of doing it via the system automatically, like Microsoft did on the 360. Was always nice to get a bunch of avatars for smashing a game.
Platinum'd HZD yesterday, wonder when the code will arrive!

Oct 28, 2017
Platinum'd HZD yesterday, wonder when the code will arrive!

Delivery Method
Reward will be delivered via voucher code to the email address associated with the Account. Customer email address must be valid and customer must be opted-in to PlayStation marketing communications at the time the Platinum Trophy is achieved. Reward will be delivered within 14 days of achieving the Platinum Trophy.

[Settings] > [Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Communication Preferences] is where you find your marketing communications settings.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe? Sony kinda has those promocodes for certain games like God of War and Spider-Man where if you have a Platinum, you get a code for exclusive avatar. They are weird because they have this little platinum trophy on the avatar which doesn't click with me but maybe it's just me.

I'm happy with the system itself tho. Having that one last thing pop is quite enjoyable. I miss this "one last thing" on Xbox and Steam.

I would gladly have any platinum trophy in my collection that isn't call of duty world at war. Looking at that will just bring me back all the blood, sweat, tears, tears, tears, and did I mention tears that I poured out staring at the screen for grenade danger indicators ; - ;

On the bright side, it made me more skilled in fps games overall.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

My only problem with this is with the whole limited time thing.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
My only problem with this is with the whole limited time thing.

That was a problem with Challenges on Xbox One as well. It wasn't such a big deal when they unlocked things like concept art or in-game currency, but Crimson Dragon had some of its playable dragons locked behind missable Challenges. They rotated them a few times, but it was still not ideal.

That said, it's not an issue with the system, but that specific implementation.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018

I wondered what happened when you unlocked a seal. That's genuinely pretty awesome.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That was a problem with Challenges on Xbox One as well. It wasn't such a big deal when they unlocked things like concept art or in-game currency, but Crimson Dragon had some of its playable dragons locked behind missable Challenges. They rotated them a few times, but it was still not ideal.

That said, it's not an issue with the system, but that specific implementation.

I hate that pointless limited time bullshit. It doesn't make me feel rewarded. It just makes me feel anxious. Fuck that. There are so many ways to incentivize playing online that don't involve that FOMO bullshit.

At least with a physical medal I can kind of understand the costs associated meaning it doesn't make sense at some point.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not too fussed on physical rewards but never understand why more games didn't reward you with themes, avatars, wallpapers etc.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That's harsh. You gotta work there AND get the plat? If I was on the team I'd have tried to sneak in some cheats that didn't disable trophies that only I knew lol.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to get rid of all the useless junk in my life, not add more.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Not too fussed on physical rewards but never understand why more games didn't reward you with themes, avatars, wallpapers etc.

Well sometimes they do, but yeah I wish it was more common. A bit annoying it has to get emailed to you. That really annoys me. Like a lot. What happens when I discover and old game and it's down. Like, oh the email service is down oh well.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Eff Bungie seal method, they have you spend money on something that prolly took you a year to earn that was likely riddled with rng and luck.... Bungie is silly like that tho.

For me PSN method of giving you an avatar and exclusive theme is better, dont require any extra cash outta my pocket.

Ceannaire

Dec 12, 2017
Ireland
The special avatars they send out to platinum achievers at the moment seem to be the right approach. at them moment only seems to be sony first party games that do it, be nice if were more common place. Even being able to set the platinum trophy icon as your profile pic might be a nice idea.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
If platinum trophies were real, and made out of platinum, I would actually have a legitimate reason for the ridiculous, and superfluous grinds that come with them.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would want to spend my time on achievement hunting even less, which I didn't think was possible. The idea of filling my apartment up with incredibly cheap, gaming-themed baubles actually stresses me out.

Oct 28, 2017
Eff Bungie seal method, they have you spend money on something that prolly took you a year to earn that was likely riddled with rng and luck.... Bungie is silly like that tho.

For me PSN method of giving you an avatar and exclusive theme is better, dont require any extra cash outta my pocket.

The money spent on a pin doesn't go to their pockets, its put into a charitable foundation.

I think its a really nice way to commemorate your playtime in the game. If you like the game enough, you can go for a title and the emblem that comes with it, then buy the pin for a physical reminder of it, while also donating to a charity by buying it.