• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Neil Gaiman just having some fun with the trolls who are angry about Sandman casting.

Seems to have started here...

Which led to this...

And then to this.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Whining about a non-binary Desire just proves you ain't read the comic

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
You know, I haven't read Sandman in probably a decade. Maybe a little more. I'm probably totally oblivious because as a younger me, probably before I had heard the term, I never put Desire as non-binary. I mean, it makes total sense and I like it.

Honestly, I can't even put into words what I'm trying to convey but I think it just goes to show this is exactly who Neil Gaiman is and these people are insane for saying a younger him would have thought differently.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you person on Twitter shaming Xenogears by having an Id handle and picture while spouting that bullshit.

Oct 29, 2017
So this is what the shit-trolls are pulling now? "Oh, the younger version of you that doesn't exist anymore would agree with me though!"

Way to prove that your argument only makes sense in your own heads...

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually reread Sandman recently. It is funny. From where I stand, young Neil was a 90s era "woke" writer whose output would be a bit "cringe" today, but which at the time must've been very progressive and subversive.

Seeing chuds lay claim to a culture that was never theirs in their crusade against cultural liberalism is amusing.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I have gotten some good laughs watching right wing shit stirrers trying to whip up a fury that Sandman of all stories is too progressive or woke.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I think of traditional masculinity, I think of 90s Vertigo.

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being such a fuckstick that you'd use Sandman of all things as an example of testosterone fueled manly comics. Right up there with Morrison's Doom Patrol in traditional masculinity.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't Death always been (when not faceless/masked) presented as an (to an extent androgynous) female/feminine in Sandman?

I'm confused at what exactly people are mad about - Desire has also, as far back as I can recall, been non-binary in Sandman, because desire applies to (almost) everyone?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Clearly everyone is forgetting how strong and manly Merv Pumpkinhead and Prez are.

As an aside, I think Gaiman implied they're adapting the shorts/interludes too. Does that mean we're actually going to get an adaptation of Prez!? Prez is the best.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO. Imagine having a culture war over Sandman. Sandman. That comic was never yours, CGers. Never ever.

Oct 28, 2017
Neil Gaiman on Twitter is a treasure

(Actually I followed him there before ever reading any of his books, but I'm in the process of rectifying that)

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't Death always been (when not faceless/masked) presented as an (to an extent androgynous) female/feminine in Sandman?

I'm confused at what exactly people are mad about - Desire has also, as far back as I can recall, been non-binary in Sandman, because desire applies to (almost) everyone?

The actress they cast for Death is black, so, uhh, yeah, you can probably imagine.

(But a ton of complaints are that Death's been genderswapped, or that they're casting Desire as nonbinary, which are clearly idiots hopping on an outrage bandwagon without even bothering to google what it is they're complaining about.)

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I expected the Death complaints but the Desire whiners are a surprise

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The actress they cast for Death is black, so, uhh, yeah, you can probably imagine.

(But a ton of complaints are that Death's been genderswapped, or that they're casting Desire as nonbinary, which are clearly idiots hopping on an outrage bandwagon without even bothering to google what it is they're complaining about.)

Ah.

I can 'see' the Death casting call being an 'issue' the same way the Yennefer actress for Netflix Witcher was an 'issue', but the Desire thing seems utterly asinine as a 'also this' complaint, lol.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fucking idiots.

As for progressive all I have to say is while I have nitpicks (rather masculine art that could play into "man in a dress" stereotypes, not being able to go to cuckoo land with the other women because the moon refuses to recognize her based on biology being my biggest gripes)Wanda was one of the few trans characters of the time that didn't make me want to kill myself or someone else, and even with those gripes (which I am sure Neil would probably do different today) still better than a lot of trans rep now especially in mainstream comics.

Fuck these clowns.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Why must I share my hobbies with the dregs of humanity?
If it makes you feel better, I am 99% certain these clowns have never even read a single page of The Sandman.

The racist complaints about Death's casting are predictable, if pathetic, but the Desire controversy is baffling. The androgyny is a vital aspect of Desire's existence.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I really need to read Sandman at some point.
Sandman is great. There's definitely some story points that haven't aged well but it was more because Gaiman was aiming to present progressive ideas and missed the mark (which I'm pretty sure he's been on record saying if he wrote those parts with the knowledge he has now they would've definitely been different). Honestly it's why it's funny that people would even suggest that Sandman was some unpolitical manly comic.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Should be noted that death appears as other ethnicities in the comics, including an African tribe and chinese

Fucking idiots.

As for progressive all I have to say is while I have nitpicks (rather masculine art that could play into "man in a dress" stereotypes, not being able to go to cuckoo land with the other women because the moon refuses to recognize her based on biology being my biggest gripes)Wanda was one of the few trans characters of the time that didn't make me want to kill myself or someone else, and even with those gripes (which I am sure Neil would probably do different today) still better than a lot of trans rep now especially in mainstream comics.

Fuck these clowns.

Gaiman said in a blog once that he regret some of the choices with wanda, and that was a reference to a particularly TERFy subset of wiccans which idolizes the e moon that he discovered through trans friends in the 80's

Death seeing Wanda as a woman is all you need to know that gaiman said fuck TERFs before it was cool

edit:
link to the blog post which is actually a tumblr post

Neil Gaiman

I suspect part of the problem is that people don't read Sandman in historic context. And mostly, they shouldn't need to. It would have seemed ridiculous when I started writing it to think that that...

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While rereading Doll's House I was thinking about how to change the structure to be a little less mean to Wanda while still retaining the core commentary on TERFs and second wave. I concluded it's fully possible and I trust the team to pull it off.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
bwahahahaahahah of all the characters they're complaining about Desire...? These people never read Sandman. I read it in the early 2000 and it was already sold as "a comic book for intellectuals". It couldn't have been further away from muscles & spandex comics.

Oct 27, 2017
The mere idea of someone considering Sandman some sort of hyper-masculine comic.. 😂 And I really don't get the complaints about Desire, as Desire was always androgynous. Death is somewhat different. The Endless can appear as whatever or whoever they want, but the character most people are familiar with is the pale-faced goth girl version of Death (which is also my fave character in the series). Will have to see the series to see how it works out though.

As an added bonus, here's Cinnamon Hadley (RIP), the girl who Death is based on.

cinamondeath.png

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Neil Gaiman is a literature legend so if anybody can put people in their place with words then it is him.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Should be noted that death appears as other ethnicities in the comics, including an African tribe and chinese

Gaiman said in a blog once that he regret some of the choices with wanda, and that was a reference to a particularly TERFy subset of wiccans which idolizes the e moon that he discovered through trans friends in the 80's

Death seeing Wanda as a woman is all you need to know that gaiman said fuck TERFs before it was cool

edit:
link to the blog post which is actually a tumblr post

Neil Gaiman

I suspect part of the problem is that people don't read Sandman in historic context. And mostly, they shouldn't need to. It would have seemed ridiculous when I started writing it to think that that...
Yeah, that's why I say I have mixed feelings. And that ultimately even with the problematic stuff it's still one of the better representations out there that made me feel good about myself (especially as at the time not only was most mainstream depictions of trans people horrible, but I was still in my late teens/early twenties and slumming on the street with ultimate toxic masculinity types, would have been a bad scene even if I had been a cis heteronormative type so as a deeply closeted trans person Wanda was still very important to me at the time) and I didn't even need Neil saying it to be super sure he would do things differently.