• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
What do you want from Horizon Zero Dawn Sequel?

tenor.gif

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Less claustrophobic combat camera and better damage/difficulty scaling, let me climb on rocks and inclines without getting stuck.

Spend more time with the characters you meet, Horizon had good characters but they were gone before you knew it and have more to do between cities.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
Since the original is my game of the generation, and has the best science fiction story I've ever seen in a videogame (and one of the best even outside of the medium), I want the same level of quality.

However - and I firmly believe this will happen - I also want it to melt metaphorical eyeballs!

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
I played Breath of the Wild right before I played Horizon Zero Dawn. The predetermined climbing points felt so... lame compared to Links climbing in BOTW. I think that would be a great bonus.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Better dialogue (both writing and direction), more combat variety and more unique landmarks to incentivise exploration. Those are my main issues with the first game. Stuff like climbing, melee and flight would be cool but I didn't think they were things the first game was lacking.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want them to reinvent the wheel. this is GG's chance to shine. they could settle for this being another KZ SF or go bold and have this be their mario 64 or halo combat evolved moment. its up to them to set the standard and move the industry forward.

i am so done playing the same game over and over again. i love what they did with horizon. it was my goty in 2017, but lets move on. i dont want to list a bunch of features and gameplay upgrades i'd like because i want to be surprised. i want to be wowed. i want to experience the unexpected, and i dont mean it in terms of story beats or plot twists. i want game design unlike anything ive played before.

this is going to be the biggest gen by gen upgrade since the ps1 to ps2. probably even bigger than 2d to 3d. its time for devs to start thinking outside the box instead of just bigger and better and more badass.

if all they can give me is flying, better melee, better human a.i and photorealsitic environments with destruction then im going to be disappointed.

same goes for all studios really, but GG is the biggest studio being prepped to make a launch exclusive, and they need to set the standard.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
this is going to be the biggest gen by gen upgrade since the ps1 to ps2. probably even bigger than 2d to 3d. its time for devs to start thinking outside the box instead of just bigger and better and more badass.
I'm not really sure why you'd think this.

Furthermore, i'm not really sure what you're expecting. It doesn't really sound like you know either.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since everyone has covered everything else I'll just add that I want to see romances, epic and integral to the plot. 3 choices; 1 Lady, 1 Man, noone.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Yep, I remember seeing the same thing. Now with SSDs coming, and Sony's being extremely fast, it can be a possibility.

Absolutely a fair worry. Though I think the original, while beautiful, had a lot of empty useless areas that acted more like window dressing than anything meaningful. I do wonder how they would balance it if they were to implement flying. On one hand, I think you could get away having flying on a map the size of the original. On the other, I wouldn't want it [the flying] to be too slow or minimize the scale.

Either way, IF they do have flying, I believe GG will balance it out and make it work.

i Think that's the upside of flying. It makes that window dressing playable space and speeds up how you interact with it. If you like it stay and hang out. If you don't then you can quickly traverse it to reach the next place

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure why you'd think this.

Furthermore, i'm not really sure what you're expecting. It doesn't really sound like you know either.
the cpu and ssd jumps should allow devs to do things they have never done before. the jump in ssd speeds is 100x. going from ps2 to ps3, the jump in graphics was 35x. i/o isnt necessarily the same as graphics power, but it should allow devs to rethink the way they design games.

i can list a long list of items i want in a next gen game, but reading through this thread made me realize how binary things have become. games are art. we shouldnt be making lists of features as if this is some kind of GaaS game where we would like loot changes, quests and bounty systems or bug fixes. you wouldnt make a list of things you would like to see in the next christopher nolan movie. can you imagine doing this to Michaelangelo or DaVinci's works?

im the best arm chair developer i know, and i am done being able to guess and know exactly how a game is going to play and play out from the first footage. i think horizon's combat system is one of the best combat systems this gen right up there with sekiro, bloodborne and gow, but the game clearly needs more than just great combat. they can either go and try and make the level design more like gow or dark souls or an class based rpg like anthem or mass effect, or they can go and do their own thing.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Don't make Aloy the main character, her journey was completed and wrapped up perfectly with HZD.

I mean...you saw that post credit sequence right?

And honestly, I don't even think that's true without it as her role in the story is realistically over at about the 70% point (once you are shown what's going on). She is imposing herself on the plight at that point, which is what heroes do. The sequel will no doubt be more of the same.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
2 things:

1) Vastly improved melee combat. It was outright terrible in the first game. Gameplay gif:

7i5j294au6sy.gif

2) Filling the settlements and towns with more life. Have named NPCs with daily routines, offer more side quests and more interesting side quests, and don't offer them all at once but staggered over the duration of the game, so that you will come back again and discover something new every time.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Maybe better combat with against humans. I ended up just shocking and hitting them with melee. Of course the machines were super fun to fight but the humans were just bleh.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
the cpu and ssd jumps should allow devs to do things they have never done before. the jump in ssd speeds is 100x. going from ps2 to ps3, the jump in graphics was 35x. i/o isnt necessarily the same as graphics power, but it should allow devs to rethink the way they design games.

i can list a long list of items i want in a next gen game, but reading through this thread made me realize how binary things have become. games are art. we shouldnt be making lists of features as if this is some kind of GaaS game where we would like loot changes, quests and bounty systems or bug fixes. you wouldnt make a list of things you would like to see in the next christopher nolan movie. can you imagine doing this to Michaelangelo or DaVinci's works?

im the best arm chair developer i know, and i am done being able to guess and know exactly how a game is going to play and play out from the first footage. i think horizon's combat system is one of the best combat systems this gen right up there with sekiro, bloodborne and gow, but the game clearly needs more than just great combat. they can either go and try and make the level design more like gow or dark souls or an class based rpg like anthem or mass effect, or they can go and do their own thing.

The only reason why I say that is because open world design, at this point, is somewhat solved. Meaningful changes to that sort of design structure aren't helped by making the world bigger or dramatically more detailed, we're already at the point where the ~15 square miles of Skyrim can provide an 80 hour experience.

Meaningful reform for these sorts of games has to be narrative driven first. It doesn't matter how big your world is or how fast it loads or how good your draw distance is if the stories in that world are bad. HZD did a great job with it's mainline story, but a lot of the side stories and a large chunk of the last quarter of the game felt tacked on and shallow. Those aspects, not just in open world games, but in all games, need to really be improved in order for them to become meaningful, least all we see are technical increments that will make a game fun in the moment, but ultimately forgettable.

Developers shouldn't fall into the Dragon's Dogma trap, where literally everything about that game is sublime except for the world building and narrative (save for THE THING AT THE END BECAUSE WHOO LAWD THE THING AT THE END!). But the technical jump between this gen and next gen aren't going to be the things that make these games orders of magnitude better.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...you saw that post credit sequence right?

And honestly, I don't even think that's true without it as her role in the story is realistically over at about the 70% point (once you are shown what's going on). She is imposing herself on the plight at that point, which is what heroes do. The sequel will no doubt be more of the same.
Sure she's still involved but Aloy in HZD had a much more personal quest in finding her origins and such.

I'd like the main character with a much more personal stake in the storyline. They could very well conjure one for Aloy. But I feel there's such a treasure trove of ideas they could tap into with a main character from another tribe.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Traversal on par with Breath of the Wild, complete with wall climbing and gliding.

Honestly, if the sequel doesn't have that, I won't even bother with it.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
More unique various ways of traversal, Better human combat which includes A.I, more diversity in attacks and appearance. Wish the arrows felt more punchy because they kind of got it right with KZ with how enemies get downed but not so much in this game, more machines that traverse the world dynamically. It was kind of disappointing with say Thunderjaws located at two locations, improving the traps and crafting, Overhaul the inventory systems. The menu systems are kind of a mess and items aren't really useful and overabundance.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I see Dinoriders was promptly mentioned.

Nothing to add.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Traversal on par with Breath of the Wild, complete with wall climbing and gliding.

Honestly, if the sequel doesn't have that, I won't even bother with it.

Oh right, yes, fix that fucking climbing mechanic. Get rid of that "find the obvious conveniently placed yellow spots to climb" nonsense and let us just climb on anything ala BOTW or AC Odyssey.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I'd love better enemy variety, felt like there were too many 4 legged antelope/deer machines and too many wolflike ones as well. So much potential for some really awesome shit

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
-Better facial animations and scene/dialogue animations in general. Everyone is so twitchy and their body parts swivel about unnaturally, it's really jarring.
-More interesting side characters. Lovely game unfortunately filled to the brim with completely boring and forgettable characters. Nil, Erend, and Vanasha are the only ones to really leave an impression on me, everyone else is just so... generic.
-More personal, small time interactions with the world outside of quests. Like sharing a drink or other fun, optional scenes with new friends, having additional characters that travel around and have their own drama's and plotlines separate from Aloy and her helping, village routines, etc.
-Better inventory management - like removing the limits and making it so you can sort your items. Drives me up the wall that I can alter the order my potions and traps, weapons, and outfits.
-Flying mount. :D
-Into the Forbidden West!! Most intriguing lore-related location in the game, I'd super love to see it.
-All the lore! Best part of HZD for me

I often see people not wanting human combat, or wanting them to improve on close range combat stuff, but tbh I enjoy both as-is. Clearing out bandit camps is one of my favorite things to do in HZD, and I like that the game forces me to tackle combat like a puzzle instead of a run in and fuck up everything sort of approach. I mean, improvement is improvement and obviously a good thing, but I just hope it retains its focus on ranged combat.

Jan 11, 2018
Better NPC's.

Better mission design. Too many missions where you are following tracks.

They can't do a huge plot reveal like the did with the first game, but please find a way to keep the story interesting, it was one of the highlights of the game.

Keep the world size about the same. No need for bloat please.

Less fights against the smaller bird enemies. There were craploads of them but only a few fights against the big bird enemy.

Apr 3, 2020
Better gameplay, I mean drastic changes
An Interactive world (gameplay-wise)
Less RPG, more action adventure
More enemies types

Jun 24, 2019
Improve melee combat, like more movesets, weapons and different take downs.

Enhance traversal, free-climbing and swimming pretty much. Cool to explore deep underwater ruins.

Expand and make cauldrons more interesting, incorporate challenging level design.

Improve facial animation, NPCs look mad stiff.

Not so anti-climatic final showdowns.

More machines the merrier!

Last edited:

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
An actually interesting opening that lasts less than 3 hours. The game is phenomenal but the beginning of the game is horrible.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Seamless ground to air combat with insane levels of detail/draw distance and fast travel with jet powered flying pterodactyls.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing against melee but that would be a different game.
I genuinely think it's necessary. The bow should be an integral part of the game, still, but if a creature survives the five or six arrows you put into it, there should be better combat systems in place than constantly jumping mid-air or sliding mid-run to get a slow-mo shot off. Melee systems that allow you to take things on and target specific system elements in an equally calculated fashion would do wonders for this game.

C45513

Aug 18, 2019
- Better camera
- More (or ideally, adjustable) FOV
- Hang glider (BotW)
- Free climbing (BotW)

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Better map design.

I want to be able to look around and see interesting, large scale landmarks. Essentially a BOTW like map.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I want them to steal the source code to BotW, slap a red wig on Link, re-texture all the enemies to be shiny and chrome and call it a day.