• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Me:

Sick: 100 hours
Vacation: 155 hours (increase every 5 years by three days)

What are your "realistic" thoughts on what a company should offer for sick/vacation days and you would be fine with the hours (and the company as well).

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
4 weeks vacation, unlimited sick days. 5 or more weeks of vacation would be ideal, but 4 is fair.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
We get 25 days holiday a year plus bank holidays so I think it comes to 33 this year. In terms of sickness there's no defined limit but I think if you have more than the equivalent of 2 days off per month over a year then you have to see the Occupational Therapist to be assessed for underlying issues.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Standard for us is 30 days. So 6 weeks. that's OK. 4 weeks are pretty determined by our company though.
If you need to take care of family members or when you worked different shifts/nightshift for at least a certain number of years you can get 6 more days.

It should be 6 weeks per year. Sick days extra.

Wolffen

Oct 27, 2017
East coast
Vacation: Minimum of 4 weeks, increasing at least one day for every year after 5 years of service. Unused vacation should roll over year-to-year, or, if your work place would "expire" hours not taken, those hours MUST be paid out to the employee at the end of the year (with an option for the funds to be dispersed into a 401K or IRA or something). A minimum of 2 weeks should be rollable to the next year. All unused vacation time must payout if you leave the job.

Sick Time: standard minimum should be 2 weeks, also rollable, but doesn't pay out when you leave the position

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Sick: Unlimited with a doctors note/prescription
Vacation: 4 to 6 (work day) weeks.

(I've been with a company for nearly 17 years and we get 2 weeks sick leave, and 2 weeks of Vacation. Which is stupid, because I rarely get sick.)

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Why are sick days not just additional vacation days?

In the military we got 30days a year, my current job is 13. Needs to be 20 days minimum.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I get 4 weeks combined PTO and sick leave which I think is bullshit. It should be unlimited sick leave. I'm fine with the 4 weeks PTO as I struggle to use them unless I'm actually traveling somewhere.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Me:

Sick: 100 hours
Vacation: 155 hours (increase every 5 years by three days)

What are your "realistic" thoughts on what a company should offer for sick/vacation days and you would be fine with the hours (and the company as well).

There shouldn't be a limit on sick hours. If people are sick, let them stay home and recuperate. No reason to infect others.

I agree that there should be a doctors note after like a week tho

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Sick: Unlimited with a doctors note/prescription
Vacation: 4 to 6 (work day) weeks.

(I've been with a company for nearly 17 years and we get 2 weeks sick leave, and 2 weeks of Vacation. Which is stupid, because I rarely get sick.)

Our company used to do that..then they combined into one giant bucket. Now I get more time off, instead of trying to 'justify' needing sick leave.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Should be four weeks vacation and unlimited sick time, with a doctor's note being needed after however many consecutive days.

If anyone knows jobs that have that, I'll take it.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I get 80 hours sick time a year and 120 hours vacation. Sick time rolls over vacation does not.

This is fair I'd say. My vacation increases just dont know when.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I knew a guy at UPS that worked there so long he ended up with 3-4 months of paid vacation a year, and he'd take off each summer to work his family farm over the summer.

My ideal would be about 8 weeks/40 days of PTO (or more). That would be enough for:

-two weeks off in December with the family
-two week summer vacation
-one week Spring Break vacation (since the kids are off)
-roughly one additional day a month for sick time/PTO/errands you can't run on weekends sort of deal

I currently get 3 weeks total combined PTO, and it hasn't increased an hour in the decade-ish I've worked here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
We have four weeks combined PTO and sick time, but also get extended Christmas/New Years break alongside other bank holidays, plus a 3-week studio shutdown vacation that starts the week of the 4th of July. Total of 46 days off.

edit: I am in the US, for reference.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Lol you can tell who lives in Europe and who is in the US. It's apples to oranges.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
5 weeks is like the minimum where I work, although we don't have "sick" days, it's all vacation days.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
I work for an international company but based in the US - and after 20 years I get 5 weeks vac and 2 weeks of sick.. Friend works for a locally owned company and after 15 years gets 2 weeks vacation and week of sick time .. So.... I like mine better...

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I get 1 week off a year and no sick pay. The US is great. Some of these are crazy. Idk what I would do with 4 weeks off a year.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5 weeks vacation.
3 months sick (absolute minimum)

My work just gave me 28 days vacation a year (plus the 8 national holidays) for being there 4 years.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
4 weeks vacation minimum. Currently I'm at a place that provides three weeks starting, and we close for a week over the holidays.

Sick days, I think 10 paid sick days should be standard

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
In the US, any. We really do suck for a supposed first world country.

In a perfect world, 4 weeks of vacation minimum, and at least 10 days of no questions asked sick/personal days. I switched to a job with fewer vacation days but many more holidays and a much more flexible sick/personal day policy (it's a British company with a US arm), so it ended up being a wash overall.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unlimited sick days with full pay.
30 days a year paid vacation.
overtime can be taken with one days notice.
24th and 31st of December paid holiday.

this is my current deal.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever taken more than 2 weeks off in a year...luckily it carries over and there's no cap (well, if there is, I haven't hit it) I have such a large bank of PTO built up when I can afford to take a vacation I'll be golden.

Yeah totally. I get 33 for my job in the UK and I still eye France with jealousy.
33 weeks?! You only have to work 19 weeks a year?

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever taken more than 2 weeks off in a year...luckily it carries over and there's no cap (well, if there is, I haven't hit it) I have such a large bank of PTO built up when I can afford to take a vacation I'll be golden.

33 weeks?! You only have to work 19 weeks a year?
Days

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
5 weeks vacation (6 after 20 years at the company), and sick days = "as many days as one is sick".
It more or less works like that here, and I think it's pretty good this way.

I work for an international company but based in the US - and after 20 years I get 5 weeks vac and 2 weeks of sick.. Friend works for a locally owned company and after 15 years gets 2 weeks vacation and week of sick time .. So.... I like mine better...
How did you start out? Like, how much vacation time did you have in your first year?

Ineluki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Less than 30 days (6 weeks) for holidays would be hard to swallow and would require a significant higher salary and other benefits.

Sick time should be generally unlimited, a requirement to show a doctor's note after 3 consecutive days seems appropriate for me. If you stay sick for longer than 6 weeks your salary gets fully paid by insurance and is reduced to 70% of your gross salary before your sickness and this continues for 72 weeks.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Personally i think it would be feasible to do:
  • unlimited sick days with 90-100% pay for natural diseases
  • unlimited sick days with >100% pay for professional and professional accident diseases
  • up to 2 years of sick days with 80-100% pay for "exceptional" causes (covid19, tuberculosis, pregnancy, family support,etc.)
  • at least 2 months of holidays.
That said the ammount of infrascture and human resources to stop people from abusing it would be quite a bit.
In Portugal with 60% pay and 3 years of sick days people abuse quite a bit; specially the psychiatric patients.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I get:
  • 27 days annual leave
  • 7 bank holidays
  • Christmas closure (this year 23rd Dec - 4th Jan)
This is fairly standard for the UK, maybe a little better than average.

Sick pay isn't a 'thing' as such. I have never needed to test the limits, but get full pay for any sickness. I think over a couple of months of sickness and you maybe move to statutory sick pay.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If people wouldn't abuse sick time (those that get a set amount a year) it would go a long way to justifying more or even unlimited. A lot of people just see it as an extra vacation bank and abuse it which ruins it for the people that use it properly.

3 weeks seems reasonable.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
If people wouldn't abuse sick time (those that get a set amount a year) it would go a long way to justifying more or even unlimited. A lot of people just see it as an extra vacation bank and abuse it which ruins it for the people that use it properly.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You have a pathetic amount of annual leave and sickness allowance compared to similar countries and you're blaming it on other workers taking what they can not the employers?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

But what if you're sick for a total of more than 3 weeks?