• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Psyduck is humble. He's just a fat, yellow duck that happens to be a super-powerful psychic. If he wanted to be OP, he probably could be, but he'd rather just be a little Psyduck.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I am such a huge nerd about this that I put together one big ranking list of all the fully evolved (or previously final evolutions like Magneton) Pokemon. There is a large bias towards Gen 1 and 2 but I've found a number of gems in all the gens. Some of my favorites from each gen:
Kanto:
arcanine.png
tentacruel.png
charizard.png
lapras.png
zapdos.png
articuno.png
gengar.png
jolteon.png
dragonite.png

Johto:
ampharos.png
kingdra.png
quagsire-f.png
lugia.png
typhlosion.png
houndoom-f.png
tyranitar.png
crobat.png
suicune.png

Hoenn:
breloom.png
altaria.png
sceptile.png
kyogre.png

Sinnoh:
azelf.png
lucario.png
gliscor.png
giratina-origin.png
froslass.png
torterra.png
porygon-z.png
heatran.png

Unova:
chandelure.png
hydreigon.png
galvantula.png

Kalos:
yveltal.png
greninja.png
dragalge.png

Alola:
lycanroc-midday.png

Arcanine, Kingdra, and Ampharos round out my top 3 - don't know what to say about all of them. Arcanine is this beautiful almost but not quite legendary Pokemon that somehow makes a tiger-like dog hybrid work, Kingdra really rocks the whole water/dragon typing well and is based off a cool creature, Ampharos is just friendly and adorable and how can you not love it. Yea that's the best I can do.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Dewgong.

Back when I played Pokemon Red as a kid, I was down to just a single Pokemon in my team after beating Lance: Dewgong. All he had in him was 7PP left for Ice Beam, and I exhausted all of my healing items. Figured I'd still give Blue a whirl even though I was likely about to get my ass whooped, but what followed was the luckiest string of back to back critical hit attacks I've ever witnessed in Pokemon, taking out every one of his Pokemon except for Alakazam in 1 hit. 'Zam missed his attack though, and I was able to get the KO right after. It's been my favorite ever since. And it's adorable! How could you not like it?

250px-087Dewgong.png

Lugia, Articuno and Ninetales are right behind it, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Charizard was probably the first Pokemon I ever saw besides Pikachu and I liked it before it was cool. My other favorites would probably be Gengar, Tyrantrum, Raichu and Dark Rai.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My Favorite is def Eevee. Has always been. So cute and cat (and fox) like. I love it. I got Pokemon Let's Go Eevee of course.

ndl9J.png

Up next is defiantly Dratini. I love Dratini and it's Shiny variant. My love of Dratini basically came from Pokemon Go. Every time I see 1, I jump with joy. Even if I have tons of Dragonites and nearly 5,000 candies. lol

f7k5PZ.png
YUpAQM.png

When I first saw this title, I def thought of Gardevoir of course. Always love Garevoir in my Pokemon party. Can't wait till Mega Gardevoir in Pokemon Go.

38g.png

Gen 5 has 2 of my more "recent" favorite Pokemon. Chandelure and Volcaro. Both awesome fire type Pokemon. I love the haunted look of the ghost and firely death pokemon of Volcaro. I'm REALLY looking forward to both in Pokemon Go next year. So far... But so close..

MUHv.png
sgFg1L.png

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
sceptile.png

Sceptile. It's a ninja lizard, what more could you want?
Sceptile is in my top 3 for sure, great Pokemon, has my favorite move lead blade.

135-Jolteon.png

My 1st choice is Jolteon. Eevee line has tons of great Mons but jolteon is the best. Also helps that jolteon reminds me of my cat who likes to poof her hair out and run around the house wildly.

My other choice is Lucario. My mvp of Black 2

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a lot of favorites, soooo I'm going to rip off Milkyway's format.

Kanto:

Spr_6x_006MY.png
Spr_7s_034.png
Spr_7s_105A.png
Spr_6x_142.png

Johto:
Spr_7s_208M.png
Spr_6x_229_m.png
Spr_6x_249.png

Hoenn:
Spr_b_6o_254M.png
Spr_6x_275_m.png
Spr_7s_286.png
Spr_6x_306.png
Spr_6x_359M.png
Spr_7s_382P.png
Spr_6x_383.png

Sinnoh:

Spr_7s_407_m.png
Spr_6x_448.png
Spr_6x_470.png
Spr_6x_479.png
Spr_7s_487.png

Unova:

Spr_7s_494.png
Spr_6x_497.png
Spr_7s_528.png
Spr_7s_545.png
Spr_6x_561.png
Spr_6x_563.png
Spr_7s_571.png
Spr_7s_601.png
Spr_7s_628.png
Spr_6x_635.png
Spr_7s_643.png
Spr_6x_644.png
Spr_7s_646B.png

Kalos:

Spr_6x_663.png
Spr_7s_681.png
Spr_7s_685.png
Spr_7s_697.png
Spr_7s_709.png
Spr_7s_715.png
Spr_7s_717.png
Spr_6x_718.png

Alola:
Spr_7s_724.png
Spr_7s_733.png
Spr_7s_745Mn.png
Spr_7s_773.png
Spr_7s_781.png
Spr_7s_792.png
Spr_7s_800.png
Spr_7u_800DM.png
Spr_7u_800DW.png
Spr_7u_800U.png

Oct 25, 2017
Primarina, hands-down. I was sorry to have ever doubted Popplio when I saw its leaked final evolution. I didn't really care that much about Pokemon after Gen 2, but Primarina's design was so good that it single-handedly rekindled my interest in the franchise. It helps that, as a trans woman, I relate to the entire line on a personal level. Starter Pokemon have an 87.5% chance of being male, and Popplio grows up to become a beautiful mermaid queen.

600px-730Primarina.png

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
600px-208Steelix.png

Steelix, because it is a huge snake made out of rock/metal boulders, has a lantarn jaw of justice and looks perpetually pissed off. What is not to like? Part of the appeal, perhaps, was also its unavailability. Steelix could only be obtained through trading and none of my friends played pokémon. So for most of my youth I could only admire Steelix from a distance...

It still hurts.

On the other end of the spectrum:

600px-549Lilligant.png

Lilligant, the dancing queen, the belle of the ball. One of the first pokémon I caught in BW was a Petilil and I didn't have high hopes for her, but I needed a Grass type, so whatever. She grew on me and when she evolved into a Lilligant she turned out to be a pretty good pokémon! A one-trick-pony, but a good one nonetheless.

Now, if Lilligant is available in a game, she will likely be on my team in my first playthrough.

Honorable mentions:

Spr_1b_123.png

Scyther, the OG badass motherfucker. Rare as hell, too, in Red at least. One look at its sprite and I was sold.

Spr_4h_197.png

Umbreon. I like all eeveelutions, but Umbreon is the best. Such a sleek design. Simple but effective. A shame the developers decided to make Umbreon the eeveelution purely focusing on defense. As someone whose strategies boil down to "attack, attack, attack", poor Umbreon tends to get sidelined.

On the other hand, I have walked over 100 km with Umbreon at my side in Pokémon Go. That has to count for something, right?

Spr_4d_429.png

Mismagius, one of the better new evolutions to be introduced in D/P/Pl (together with Roserade). I like Misdreavus a lot as well, though, so I don't always evolve it.

Spr_b_4d_033.png

Nidorino. I have been a fan of him since I saw him battling Gengar in the opening animation of Pokémon Red. Look at that grin; that determined look in his eyes. He is awesome and he knows it.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quagsire. I played Blue and Yellow but it wasn't until Silver where I found a Pokemon I was really fond of, this lovable goofball. If there's a quagsire in the game without trading I always try to get one in my party

195.png

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
I have one absolute favorite that towers over all other pokemon.
900px-389Torterra.png

Torterra is a truly magical creature. Its design is so evocative. Influenced by the old idea of the world carried on the back of a turtle, but placed onto a tortoise instead. It feels like a superior successor to Venusaur, who was already awesome. I imagine it as the biggest by far of any of the starting pokemon, a huge stomping mass. It's also the only Ground-Grass pokemon. And it has a great evolution chain. I really want an alternate form of the chain that goes for a sea turtle vibe, like some fan designs I've seen, probably water/ground type. So, Torterra is absolutely my #1. No doubt. However... I do have a few other favorites. I'll highlight my #2 and #3.

330Flygon.png

Definitely my favorite dragon pokemon, with a really crazy evolutionary line.
Flygon-evo.gif

Unlike Torterra's chain, Flygon's is totally disjointed and surprising, but it works. It's based off the very interesting ant lion. I was absolutely delighted by each link in this chain as a kid. and #3 is...
345Lileep.png

Lileep! I love fossil pokemon. This one's the weirdest. Also, the only Rock/Grass type. I don't like Cradily much, though.

Last edited:

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
That'd be Butterfree.

900px-012Butterfree.png

While there are many reasons as to why it's my favorite Pokemon, the most pertinent is that it was the leading role in the first piece of media that ever made me cry: episode 21 of the Pokemon TV series, Bye-Bye Butterfree.

300px-EP021.png

In it, Ash decides to let the Butterfree that he caught very early on in the series go and be free with a colony of Butterfrees and it was an incredibly touching goodbye. I can't think about Pokemon without thinking about Butterfree, and I can't think of Butterfree without thinking about this episode. It taught me that media can really have a profound effect on a person, and to this day I still think about it every time I spot this adorable, fun-loving little monster.

MV5BYTIwYmEwODItMWUxMC00MjQ0LThiMGEtZjg2ZTAyMDk4OTc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY5NTM5MjA@._V1_.jpg

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Charmander, Growlithe, Eevee, Pikachu and more recently Squirtle. Team Cuter than the rest of you uggos.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
445Garchomp.png

While I had a bunch of favorite Pokemon over the years, Garchomp has always been my #1 choice. While I watched the anime, I didn't play any of the games until Platinum and when I first saw and used Garchomp on my team, he was a perfect combination of asthetics and functionality for me. A menacing looking landshark with excellent stats and typing, he is as cool and fearsome as he looks.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
I'm going to be really strict and just post my current top 5; otherwise I'll end up posting 20 or something lol:

AoBMJhi.jpg

I'm a big fan of Pokémon that seem harmless and inviting on the outside, but are actually super dangerous. The fact that three of these a based on more well-known Yokai is also cool.

Poliwhirl, meanwhile, is the top pick from my childhood. With the Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure coming out around the same time as the first games here, Poliwhirl was like an amalgamation of my hype at the time. It had a Dreamcast-like swirl on its chest, was blue, wore white gloves and was one of the few monsters outside of starters and Pikachu promoted with merchandise back then.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Whimsicott is the star in every one of my teams, he usually isnt the one to give the final blow (Usually dragon dance gyarados or Choice Band Dragonite) but its the one that gives me the edge.

Its ability Prankster makes him attack first when he uses a moves that doesnt to damage, so with:
Encore (I can trap users into repeating the same move for ever even if they are faster than me)
Substitute (Use it to see what moves the oponent will use, or block a status effect to trap them with encore)
Stun Spore (Make oponents slower so my other Pokemon can sweep)
Leech Seed (Leech seed+substitute+encore can kill some pokemon)

My oponents usually despice this little guy and surrender once he start his strategy, sadly in was nerfed in gen 8 with dark pokemon ignoring Prankster Attacks.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Blaziken will forever be my fave. Sapphire was the first Pokemon game that was able to beat on my own, and Blaziken was my starter and pretty much the only Pokemon that I used throughout the game, so it has a very special place in my heart.
1200px-257Blaziken.png

Also, Minior:

4774-Minior-Meteor.png

But not just any Minior, SHINY Minior.

tumblr_oixax6KYl61qioqevo1_400.gif

Before I even started playing Sun, I thought that Shiny Minior was like the coolest shiny in the entire series, and then when I went to catch a Minior to add to my team, the very first one I found just happened to shiny, and it miraculously didn't blow up on me before I could catch it. I promptly freaked the fuck out when it happened, it's like the biggest highlight of my entire career of playing Pokemon.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think at this point my absolute fave is Marill

5859609f4f6ae202fedf2855.png

He's what happens if you take Pikachu, make him the best color, and round out all the edges, magnifying the adorability. Azurill is great too, but evolving into Azumarill always feels like a step down to me.

Honorable mentions go to Cinccino, Ribombee, blue Meowstic, Mimikyu, and the whole Pikachu family.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
227.png

Skarmory.

Look at those sleek lines.

Look at that simple but striking color scheme.

Look at that self-assured smirk.

Perfect mix of elegance, danger and personality. Plus, in battle, you can scarcely ask for a more reliable pokemon.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It's impossible to pick one. I love so many of them. I couldn't even pick a stable top 10.
Pokémon are great.

Jan 2, 2018
My top 3!

1. Chimecho
Sugimori_358.png

It has a lovely design, it's a Wind Chime Pokémon!
It has a sweet prior evolution with Chingling.
It's a Psyhic-type Pokémon. One of my favorite types of Pokémon.
It's presence in the Anime is a bonus.

2. Lurantis
250px-Floramantis-SL.png

Great (not too complexe and not too clean) design.
I love sweet and elegant Pokémon.
Really sweet prior evolution with Fomantis.
It can learn Solar Blade!

3. Honchkrow

430Honchkrow.png

Really cool and bad-ass looking bird. Looks like a mafia boss!
I love crows.
Dark type, one of my favorite types.
Cool prior evolution with Murkrow!