• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing something that I have not done in decades… reading a book in Spanish.

81wLkU+opPL.jpg

I found it as I was looking for something similar to the movie The Ninth Gate. I'm in love with the book right now.

Spanish is my maiden language, but I've never enjoyed Spanish literature. The only books I've read are the ones I had to for school. I don't like how Spanish authors tend to write these long and complicated sentences just to show off their vocabulary… and this one book is not an exception, but the tone is different and I don't mind it at all.

I love these books. I may have to do a reread soon because it has been quite some time since I read the earlier ones. I was very sad to read of his passing last year, but am thankful he lived long enough to finish this series. The setting, time period, and characters are so good.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I love these books. I may have to do a reread soon because it has been quite some time since I read the earlier ones. I was very sad to read of his passing last year, but am thankful he lived long enough to finish this series. The setting, time period, and characters are so good.
Shit. I didn't know he had passed away. 55 years old. Damn. Fuck cancer.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
81O8HrfwBSL.jpg

Read it a long time ago - rereading due to my wife teaching it this year. Had forgotten how lovely it is, with some really interesting ideas and well written. Will be interesting for my wife teaching Y10 when it includes sections such as Pi eating the tiger's poo but at least it will be more interesting than Hard Times!

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
I saw that in the library the other day. Looked like propaganda.

This really fits into what I like to call: The Future Belongs to the Malicious. The more we're technologically advanced, the more those who have bad intensions have their way. That's what this book says over several hundred pages and could be said in one. The reason we have ransom were is because we're letting scumbags like Russia use it. Who wins? We sure as shit don't.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Is anyone here read all the Expanse books? I have finished Leviathan Wakes yesterday; I quite enjoyed it, though it didn't hook me entirely. I was wondering how the other books in the series were.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Is anyone here read all the Expanse books? I have finished Leviathan Wakes yesterday; I quite enjoyed it, though it didn't hook me entirely. I was wondering how the other books in the series were.
I'm almost halfway with Leviathan Wakes and ngl I'm struggling a bit. Chapters are really short and nothing really happens in them. The first 50 pages were cool, though.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'm almost halfway with Leviathan Wakes and ngl I'm struggling a bit. Chapters are really short and nothing really happens in them. The first 50 pages were cool, though.
If you're at least enjoying the characters and are curious about where the main plot is going, I think you should stick with it. It gets better as it goes, imho.
Though I have to say, it's been kind of a rare situation for me where I was enjoying the story, I was curious about where it was going, but I still didn't feel a strong pull to keep reading, if that makes any sense. More than once I'd just read one chapter per character and call it a day, which is a bit unusual for me.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
If you're at least enjoying the characters and are curious about where the main plot is going, I think you should stick with it. It gets better as it goes, imho.
Though I have to say, it's been kind of a rare situation for me where I was enjoying the story, I was curious about where it was going, but I still didn't feel a strong pull to keep reading, if that makes any sense. More than once I'd just read one chapter per character and call it a day, which is a bit unusual for me.
I feel pretty much the same. I'm curious about the story but not really super engaged.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy them enough that I still keep looking forward to the next book. It has ups and downs like any series, but it gets better IMO. The first book deals with a relatively contained situation that sets the stage for bigger things to come.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I enjoy them enough that I still keep looking forward to the next book. It has ups and downs like any series, but it gets better IMO. The first book deals with a relatively contained situation that sets the stage for bigger things to come.
That's good to hear, thanks for you impressions. I wonder if I'll manage to catch up before the release of the last book in November.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I must have dropped the first Expanse books like two chapters in, haha. Something about the character writing really grated me.

Really sucks, character-focused epic space operas seem pretty rare.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I wish I had liked PHM. It was half fun science space romp (which I did enjoy), half head-empty politics with no regards for how a situation like the one depicted in the book would go down. I had to put the book down several times. The scene in court where Stratt just shows up to wave her get out of jail card because for a nonsense reason they want to upload all copyrighted work onto the ship or whatever *and* she brags about having the US army behind her, the scene in which they decide to wreck Africa's ecosystem (with no input from an African representative even) and then reason it's alright because they'll develop a really good power industry as a result, the scene in which a climate scientists weeps as he nukes the ice caps... the whole idea of the operation being given carte blanche for whatever is just "science would save us if politics weren't in the way!" nonsense/wishful thinking and there's a whole lot of it. It really pissed me off at parts.

I'll recommend Becky Chamber's novella To Be Taught, if Fortunate as a good thematically adjacent (and much better, IMO) work.

I find your take a bit bizarre.
Would you accuse Weir of being pro-animal testing too? Just because that's what occurs in the book?

The story is about Grace, Rocky, humanity, Eridians, as well as Astrophage and Taumoeba itself fighting for their own survival, no matter how ugly or the cost.

Instead of looking at it from an emotional point of view, look at it from a macro level: humanity the living organism, hurt its environment on a relatively short-term basis intentionally to give it a better chance of long-term survival.

Stratt's brutal efficiency is Weir's method to solving incredibly hard problems, and is not meant to be taken as theme he's pushing. The story is even told from the point of view of a guy who was quite literally kidnapped and forced to go on the mission.

The story isn't: "If there was no red-tape or ethics look at what we could accomplish". It's "life in all its forms will do whatever it takes to survive, fuck your feelings."

It's telling Grace (reduced to eating meburgers for survival) has no compulsion to return to Earth any time soon. Would it even be recognisable to him anymore, after all he went through, was it all worth it? Did Stratt's dour prediction come true? Was the planet wracked with wars, of people fighting for food, for survival?

He's a compelling character. Stratt beautifully eviscerates him and calls him a coward. He goes through a character arc and willingly sacrifices himself for Rocky, but I wonder if his lack of motivation to return to Earth is also steeped in fear rather than contentment at his life on Eridani. The reader can look at it either way.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 100 pages in Project Hail Mary and really enjoying. I never read any Weir book and thought the science bits would be overwhelming, but he's such a good science communicator, it's not hard to grasp at all. Went in mostly blind and I'm really curious where the book will take me

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

Been a fan of the Expanse (and Daniel Abraham) since it came out. I'm a sucker for anything space opera like.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Blackwing. It was goofy as all hell in its attempts at constantly being edgy and badass and dramatic and poetic, but thankfully it was mostly in an endearing way, not annoying and groan-worthy like something like Red Rising was for me. The story was pretty self-contained too, which is nice, can't say I'm very interested in reading the rest of the trilogy. All in all, I did enjoy it.

Not sure what to read next. I'll probaby pick something I've had downloaded on my Kindle for the longest time at random. Maybe The Steerswoman or Foundryside or The Gone World or Circe or Aching God or The Lie Tree or.... Wow there's a lot of stuff I haven't read.

Last edited:

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I assume those wondering about The Expanse series haven't watched the show?

I thought the books were pretty good, but the show is amazing.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017

Just a few chapters from finishing this one up and sad to be done with it. I knew I was gonna like this one from the description alone unless some aspect of the execution completely bungled it and happy to report that has not been the case. Lots of well realized characters, pulpy, supernatural mystery, and the setting and tone are so far up my alley it's not even funny.

Have not read this author's first book and it's on my list now after this, despite it being drastically different

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Hey Era, so I am looking for a book recommendation.
I'm looking for a fiction novel about the dangers of AI, and how dangerous it is without trying to be manevolent, think Prey not Terminator.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Hey Era, so I am looking for a book recommendation.
I'm looking for a fiction novel about the dangers of AI, and how dangerous it is without trying to be manevolent, think Prey not Terminator.

If you're not afraid of really hard sci-fi, I recommend a couple mid-90s books by Greg Egan. Specifically Diaspora and Permutation City. These books contain AI, and what some may consider AI, but are not typical cautionary tales. Rather they are both about transhumanism while also making you feel the existential dread of how dangerous and mindfucky future tech could be.

Here's the description of Diaspora:

By the end of the 30th century humanity has the capability to travel the universe, to journey beyond earth and beyond the confines of the vulnerable human frame.

The descendants of centuries of scientific, cultural and physical development divide into three: fleshers — true Homo sapiens; Gleisner robots — embodying human minds within machines that interact with the physical world; and polises — supercomputers teeming with intelligent software, containing the direct copies of billions of human personalities now existing only in the virtual reality of the polis.

Diaspora is the story of Yatima (a polis being created from random mutations of the Konishi polis base mind seed) and of humankind; of an astrophysical accident that spurs the thousandfold cloning of the polises. Of the discovery of an alien race and of a kink in time that means humanity — whatever form it takes — will never again be threatened by acts of God.

Permutation City:

In the not-too-distant future, technology has given birth to immortality. The human mind can be scanned and downloaded into a virtual reality program to become a perfect electronic "Copy", aware of itself. The bad news is, someone has blocked the bail-out option that allows a Copy, by law, to return to flash-and-blood life.

I read these books decades ago and they blew my mind apart. I call them 'really hard' sci-fi because they're not written in an accessible way for mainstream consumption, and can be considered 'dry' by some.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
If you're not afraid of really hard sci-fi, I recommend a couple mid-90s books by Greg Egan. Specifically Diaspora and Permutation City. These books contain AI, and what some may consider AI, but are not typical cautionary tales. Rather they are both about transhumanism while also making you feel the existential dread of how dangerous and mindfucky future tech could be.

Here's the description of Diaspora:

Permutation City:

I read these books decades ago and they blew my mind apart. I call them 'really hard' sci-fi because they're not written in an accessible way for mainstream consumption, and can be considered 'dry' by some.
Thanks I'll check them out, though I am looking for something a little more grounded in what we might expect over the next century.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
The Maidens (2021) - Alex Michaelides

45300567.jpg

So that sure was an ending. Abrupt and non sensical towards the last reveal. Maybe if i had cared about anyone in the book it could have landed differently. Bottom tier in terms of pacing as well. So I can't rate it a 1 because I didn't truly hate it but I sure wouldn't give it any recommendations either. Guess that's a 2/5 for how indifferent it left me in the end.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Returned to Red Country. Still can't myself to really care about the story or a big chunk of the cast, unfortunately, but it really is nice to be reminded how much I like Abercrombie's prose and dialogue. Just read a chapter that was just 10 pages of Temple and Majud talking about building a shop on some muddy plot and it was the best thing I've read in the last few weeks.

jleo

Aug 12, 2021
Just finished reading This Is How They Tell Me the World Ends: The Cyberweapons Arms Race.

I love reading investigative journalism. Book was really well done, and honestly really terrifying as people connect more equipment (traffic lights, smart fridges, cameras, industrial equipment) to the internet.

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
37C0A22CEDF65D2484D272BF035F08F55A9BFCB5.jpg

Going through the newest Library of America release. Started with Fahrenheit 451 since I somehow missed it until now. It was good but Wow, I was not expecting the bleak ending lol.
Will read Martian Chronicles next and then finish out with Dandelion Wine and Something Wicked This Way Comes (in that order) since they take place in the same fictional location.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Just started reading "The Haunting of Hill House" since I'd seen all but the original film/series adaptions, but had never read the novel which I was well aware was different from all of them. Not really going in with any expectations since reading horror rarely frightens me, plus the age of the book. I rather like it so far though.

Before this I just finished reading "The Forgotten Beasts of Eld," which quickly has become one of my favorite novels of all time.

I'm a slooooooow reader though so I haven't gotten through many reads so far this year, that and my FFXIV addiction is getting in the way, lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Started the first Witcher short story collection. First story didn't grab me that much, but from what I understand it's the first piece of fiction Sapkowski had written, for that it's perfectly fine. Already liked the second story a lot better, great fairytale feeling and I liked the riff on Beauty and the Beast

I actually haven't played the games, always wanted to read the books first, but never got to it. But I see why this was turned into a game, the setup feels perfect for an RPG. Actually it's weird how much Sapkowski seems to look down on video games, when especially his fight scenes have a very videogamey feel to them. This isn't exactly high-brow literature, but it doesn't have to be.

Also read The Old Man and the Sea. In a way it really resonated with me, because it made me think of my Grandpa, who's a (hobby, but still) fisherman and hunter to the core and went out hunting into his 80s.
But also, this story gets put on such a pedestal, earned Hemingway a nobel and there's a ton of philosophical analysis... and I don't think it reaches that level for me. But as just a simple story about a fisherman I liked it
Maybe it's that even 70 years ago Hemingway had to go out of his way to get a man vs nature story in the 20th century, where both are on an equal footing. That's just not the world we live in anymore

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Started the first Witcher short story collection. First story didn't grab me that much, but from what I understand it's the first piece of fiction Sapkowski had written, for that it's perfectly fine. Already liked the second story a lot better, great fairytale feeling and I liked the riff on Beauty and the Beast

I actually haven't played the games, always wanted to read the books first, but never got to it. But I see why this was turned into a game, the setup feels perfect for an RPG. Actually it's weird how much Sapkowski seems to look down on video games, when especially his fight scenes have a very videogamey feel to them. This isn't exactly high-brow literature, but it doesn't have to be.

I read the Witcher short story collection, which I thought was ok. Then I played Witcher 3 which was incredible, and referenced the short stories. Then after the game I tried reading the main novels, and gave up midway through the second. I don't know if it was the English translation or what, but I found it all pretty stilted, and the relentless pontificating about 'destiny' just annoyed me. Didn't like the TV show either, so I must be an outlier in only loving the game and some of the short stories.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this today which I really liked.

It's a coming of age story about an 18 year old girl in Ireland starting college(possibly University actually) for the first time, her having to deal with that and the way her unusual upbringing affects her personality whilst trying to live a normal life.

It doesn't really have a huge amount of plot to be honest, it's a pretty simple story that's more character driven than anything.

462126.jpg

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
37C0A22CEDF65D2484D272BF035F08F55A9BFCB5.jpg

Going through the newest Library of America release. Started with Fahrenheit 451 since I somehow missed it until now. It was good but Wow, I was not expecting the bleak ending lol.
Will read Martian Chronicles next and then finish out with Dandelion Wine and Something Wicked This Way Comes (in that order) since they take place in the same fictional location.
Haven't read Dandelion Wine, let me know what it's like. Love all those other stories.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, finished Red Country and I hate where I dropped it before (a third or so in) because it was only a few chapters away from getting interesting again and boy, did it ever do that. It improved drastically after the fellowship reached Crease and I couldn't really put the book down after the chapter I mentioned in my last post. Hard to say if I liked it more than The Heroes since they're so different, but both were definitely superb fantasy books.

No need to really think what I'm gonna be reading next. It's obviously A Little Hatred lol.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
default.jpg

A trilogy of novels recounting the downfall of a desperate young Chicago hood.

The most striking thing about this realistic, Depression-era saga is how essentially little American society has changed in the ~90 years since its original publication. Update just a few things and this could easily be about the life of a toxic young Deplorable, blaming his inability to get ahead in the world on immigrants, black people, duplicitous women, and "globalist" bankers, in spite of a privileged start*, and turns to vice and violence in response. Indeed, many of the admittedly frequent and slur-permeated tirades the books characters go into could almost be lifted word-for-word from the Facebook or Twitter of some 21st century right-wing hate-monger.

While I don't find such sordid characters exactly sympathetic, I must admit Farrell does a good job of making them recognizably (and unfortunately) human. The exact same toxic convictions infect many of our family members or former friends/acquaintances today. The author was obviously raised among such folks and he is to be commended for rising above this culture. (Though almost certainly not what you'd consider a modern Progressive, he was a committed Marxist, and the bigoted attitudes described in the book seem to belong to the characters, not the author.)

If nothing else, a work of remarkable honesty and observation.

* Contrary to the impression given by the book cover and the brief synopsis, young Studs actually comes from a decidedly middle-class background.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Kings of the Wyld is $2.99 Kindle on Amazon today.
Fun book that treats mercenary companies as rock stars. Centered around an aging mercenary company trying to relive their glory days.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Just started the third book in the Finder series. I enjoyed the first two books plenty, so this was an easy purchase.

512CuZE194L._SY346_.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Finished The Last Wish. It's been a while since I finished a 350+ page book this quick, pretty much read a story a day. I thought I'd take a break since it's all self-contained, but these are addicting, and I want to know more about Yennefer, so I think I have to get the next one soon
(damn Sapkowski for that ending, from what I understand while trying to avoid spoilers
Geralt's actual last wish
is never revealed in the later books either, but I want to know how he continues from there)

Last edited:

Lanthima

Jan 28, 2021
Finished The Last Wish. It's been a while since I finished a 350+ page book this quick, pretty much read a story a day. I thought I'd take a break since it's all self-contained, but these are addicting, and I want to know more about Yennefer, so I think I have to get the next one soon
(damn Sapowski for that ending, from what I understand while trying to avoid spoilers
Geralt's actual last wish
is never revealed in the later books either, but I want to know how he continues from there)
That is great to hear, it's on my kindle waiting for me to pick it up! With only 1/3 of one of the witcher video games played, I hope it pulls me into that world. Also, as a lurker, I have to say it's great when this thread gets active! My to read list is growing rapidly.

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
Even as a Witcher franchise fan, I'd argue that you only need to read The Last Wish and the Sword of Destiny short story compilations.

The main 5-book saga retroactively made me dislike the series a little due to (IMO) uninteresting detours to the region politics which are not really that fleshed out, as well as the treatment of Ciri in general.

Well, you would be missing beloved character Regis, but it's a sacrifice I would make.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Project Hail Mary. What a book. I had never read anything by Weir, but you could see in every single page of this massive book the sheer amount of work and research he had to do. There's real hardwork involved and Weir is an amazing science communicator. It was a fascinating read and I could tell you a lot about the science in the book just from the top of my mind. I do wish there was more to the plot, but it was satisfying throughout. I'm not going to go into plot details, but it was one of the best stories of this type.

4NRmWDK.png

Having followed Marjorie Liu's comics work for years, I picked up this recent collection of her past short fiction (plus some pieces, one of the them the titular story, written specifically for the new volume). Some of them are tied into Liu's previous novels in ways that don't mean anything to me, but none of them felt dependent on those connections for significance. A lot of these are fairytale riffs, generally playing with specific imagery (one of them being "Sleeping Beauty", a story that Liu explains she strongly dislikes in her commentary note), that reminded me somewhat of Naomi Novik, albeit with more intricate prose.

FmSffsu.jpg

The graphic novel that inspired the M. Night Shyamalan film that left many people nonplussed, translated into English and reissued. An interesting adaptation case study, as there are mysterious hints there that Shyamalan then built into a more detailed explanation of events -- whether you think that was necessary or just detracted from the central themes depends on what storytelling style you prefer, I suppose. There's one element of the movie, though, that makes a lot more sense and is clearly much more thematically relevant in the source material. The two do, however, share something of a characterization inconsistency that a lot of people honed in on when the film came out (namely, how mentally mature the aging children are supposed to be).

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the first Mistborn trilogy. It was a good follow up to finishing Wheel of Time late last year. Mistborn has some excellent moments and then some annoying moments but easily has one of my favorite characters in fiction ever.

Deciding what to do next, more Mistborn or re-read Wheel of Time. It keeps pulling at me.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Finished Project Hail Mary. What a book. I had never read anything by Weir, but you could see in every single page of this massive book the sheer amount of work and research he had to do. There's real hardwork involved and Weir is an amazing science communicator. It was a fascinating read and I could tell you a lot about the science in the book just from the top of my mind. I do wish there was more to the plot, but it was satisfying throughout. I'm not going to go into plot details, but it was one of the best stories of this type.

I found out recently that Ryan Gosling is producing and will star in the adaptation. I think covid delayed things a lot, but hopefully it's still in the works. I was picturing Matt Damon while reading it, but I can see Ryan fitting the protagonist as well the more I think about it.

I just finished the first Mistborn trilogy. It was a good follow up to finishing Wheel of Time late last year. Mistborn has some excellent moments and then some annoying moments but easily has one of my favorite characters in fiction ever.

Deciding what to do next, more Mistborn or re-read Wheel of Time. It keeps pulling at me.

I'm nearing the end of the book below, and the Mistborn trilogy is next up. Can't wait!

40229197._SY475_.jpg