• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I are sitting at home, we ordered some smoked turkey for the two of us and her workplace gave away a free pie so we're set for a lonely feast. Might zoom with my parents to visit a bit though.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wife and I will be with her parents, usually have close to 15 people but obviously not happening this year. We've been living with her parents for close to 3 weeks now cuz of work getting done on our house so not a lot of risk involved.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
im doing that today, but I can't help but worry, my work environment isn't nearly as secure as I'd like and I'm gonna be there leading up to Thanksgiving

im gonna try and be extra cautious, but it's a virus, ya know?

shit's fucked
I feel ya - was just trying to offer a potential peace of mind. The best thing you can do is control what you can control - getting a test, wearing a mask, social distancing - sounds like you are doing everything possible so, for that, you should be proud. :)

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I feel ya - was just trying to offer a potential peace of mind. The best thing you can do is control what you can control - getting a test, wearing a mask, social distancing - sounds like you are doing everything possible so, for that, you should be proud. :)
thank you

Please stay safe as well, overly cautious seems like a must these days šŸ„°

Oct 25, 2017
Just my siblings and I. Maybe parents if they want to come (hope they don't) but we all live near each other so it works.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
honestly, the drama might be worth the cancellation, shit is super fucked out there right now, im considering the same right now

I trust that my sister has been careful, but shit is SO fucked that I'd rather not risk this at all

she's got kids, what if im asymptomatic, etc etc.

I hear you and honestly with reports of lines to even get a test in my state it's like "is this worth the hassle?" I've at least been staying in my apartment for the last 10 days so I'm not worried about being asymptomatic which is good because both my parents are in the higher risk groups for the disease. Why they thought trying to host like normal was a good idea still baffles me but they live in a rural area so they've been fairly insulated from the impact to date.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
We'll see family because it's not going to be large. My wife is pregnant so we're going to try and be extra careful.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It will be much smaller than usual. Probably just my siblings and maybe Mom.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
For pandemic reasons spending it with my fiance only.

We're going to make a few dishes from the "Heroes Feast" cookbook for d&d. I am going to make the "Travelers Stew". She's making "Drow Mushroom Steaks".

Commanderbuck

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just making dinner for the people in my house. I'm sad that I can't see family but I don't wanna take the risk.

Dec 21, 2017
Going over to my mom's, it's a normal year with just myself her and my brother so there's not much 'risk' involved.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I'm heading to my folks and spending the week. We've all been safe and Iļø won't have been out for 2 weeks by the time i head over.

I'm only an hour away and haven't really seen them this year so I'm looking forward to it. Not seeing me seems to have been negatively effecting their mental health tbh so I'm hoping some quality time will be good.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Normally my family gets together at my house or my sisters house and we hang out and eat Turkey all day.

This year just my dad is coming over and everyone is doing their own thing.

We still plan on cooking everything, just probably in smaller quantities. Small turkeys might be in high demand this year.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Staying in my home with the family that I live with, watching the dog show, and eating way more than I should. While also playing Series X and PS5 games while the turkey cooks. Then falling into a food coma.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Playing videogames instead of contributing to the next surge in virus cases

Joke's on the virus though, because I didn't want to go home for Thanksgiving anyway

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Going for a hike early in the morning, then getting turkey dinner from whole foods. Not going to be able to see family sucks this year, but it is what it is.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Staying home with the wife and kiddo, probably zooming with our families at some point. We've had too many close calls with Covid to risk having any big family get togethers.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I are getting a packaged Thanksgiving meal to prepare at home from a local restaurant and are going to just do that together with no one else. It should be nice!

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
We're all getting tested on Monday and then me and my mom will be at my sisters place to deep fry a bird.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of a 20+ person gathering of family on my dad's side, it's just gonna be him & his wife, myself, my sis, & maybe his wife's 3 kids. I'm gonna get tested on Monday despite having a good feeling I'll test negative but it'll help put some people at ease, especially my girlfriend who has been taking this whole thing seriously due to her ill father (beat lung cancer, but now may have colon cancer).

....now Christmas...my dad is going to Arizona to spend it with his mom so I'm hoping I can go to my gf's place because it'll be our first Xmas together but if things just get worse because people couldn't listen, then that may not happen despite the fact all four of us would test negative.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
just get a turkey breast, tons of fool-proof ways to prepare it.

just me and my SO. Please don't go to family gatherings.
I think it's fine to go to family gatherings if everyone gets tested, completely isolates after getting negative test results, no one has symptoms, no one is immunocompromised, the gathering is kept to a low number (ideally well under 10), only private transportation is used, etc.

Just don't rely on the rapid test since it's not as accurate. But there's still is a responsible way to do celebrate the holiday as long as you take all of the precautions and everyone gets the test.

Again, personally, we won't be able to isolate even if we get tested just due to the nature of her job, so it will just be me and her. But I don't think a blanket ban on thanksgiving is necessary if everyone is able to do it the right way.

Lower number of people is key too.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
We're having my brothers and mother over, but are eating on the deck.

My mom threw a fit and said we're overreacting. We see her probably every other week, so how is this any different, she says. Dunno, maybe because she just travelled out of state yesterday (legitimate reason) and COVID has spiked to levels far surpassing even the previous peaks? Maybe that?

So now she's not coming. That's fine. My brothers are coming over and we're doing a Fuddruckers-style burger bar instead for a new tradition.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Probably going to my mom's house to eat with her and my step dad.

Telling my step mom that because of covid we're not even doing thanksgiving at mom's so I don't have to deal with my Trump voting father right now.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Our usual gathering of 25 people is down to I think 6 - myself + girlfriend, parents, and my brother and his wife.

Still don't even know if my girlfriend and I will go. My bro and his wife haven't been taking it very seriously. I mean to an extent they are, but they have small gatherings at their house with friends, go out to eat often, etc. They are very much in the camp of "Oh, it can't happen to me". Very frustrating and I haven't been able to get through to him at all.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately agreed to visit parents in the next state over before everything went to shit and I feel like it's too late to bail without causing a ton of drama despite all the updated guidance statements in the last 48-72 hours. I'm a little worried about risk exposure but my parents have been doing a good job up to now with masking and staying in their bubble but I'd really prefer to have just stayed home and not have to deal with this at all.
Cause the drama then. It's not that big of a deal. Thanksgiving will be there next year.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
My wife is working from 5am to 1pm. I'll probably do my normal daily routine (4-6 hours of writing). I might do some grading. At around noon, I'll whip up some deviled eggs and start prepping the kitchen for the turkey breast. Turkey Breast, Green beans, Stuffing, Some kind of potatoes (haven't decided what yet), and Rolls for an earlyish dinner. 5pm? Pumpkin pie and apple pie for dessert. After that, we'll probably sink into the couch and watch some movies. I just bought Alien and 1917 in 4K, so probably those. That's it, really. Meanwhile, my family will have their gathering, and my ears will be hot all night. I might call my grandmas.

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
It'll just be me, my mom and my brother because my Grandma and Aunt don't feel like driving an hour. I love Thanksgiving - usually I do all the cooking, drink a lot of wine, and watch the Mystery Science Theater stream so Covid isn't changing much for us this year.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
My wife is a medical professional and is working over the holiday.

The weekend though we are going to make food ourselves and just watch movies and hang out and eat. Just the two of us. Had hoped for a Friendsgiving style celebration with about 4 couples who would quarantine, but even that is too risky now.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Yeah. We really shouldn't be gathering. It's been clearly stated by local and federal officials. In my city, they sent out a mass text.

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone, please, just don't have gatherings with anyone you're not in daily contact with (like family in your household). It's not worth it. Getting a test a few days before you gather doesn't mean you can't get covid right before you meet. And no matter how careful you are, there are things outside your control. And you don't know how careful other people are.

I know what it's like to want to be with family, trust me. My mom is old and frail and across the country and I can't see her until all of this is over. I live alone with equal custody of my little son but I'm letting him have Thanksgiving with his mother because my apartment is shitty and small and I know he'd have a better time with his mom and her roommate. I'm fighting debilitating depression and don't want to be alone for turkey day but I also don't want to get sick, or get others sick. If I can do this, anybody can. It's just one dinner, but the risks are so immense. Once we see covid numbers skyrocket post-holiday, you'll all feel much better than you didn't contribute to it.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Bestie and I only have each other this year, so it'll be just us two. Bestie is going all out anyway and will be making us turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed, pull-apart rolls, green bean casserole, broccolini, applesauce, apple pie, pumpkin pie, eggnog, and ice cream, so it'll be more like Thanksgiving week around here. I have no problem with that. šŸ¤¤

Hecht

Pushinā€™ me down, pushinā€™ me down, pushinā€™ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Wife and I are gonna make ourselves a mini version of thanksgiving dinner, then play jackbox with some friends from across town

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just getting with our adopted grandma, and doing a little Thanksgiving with Turkey, stuffing, potato filling, green bean casserole and biscuits.
Wife is insisting on doing ham too but man... That's a lot of food.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Going to the wife's parents, just us (wife, kid and I) and them. They're retired and are effectively in our "bubble" despite being an hour away as the only times they go out are to get groceries and for my wife's mother to visit us/see the grandkid.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Cook with my wife and watch some movies. Google says Knives Out is a Thanksgiving movie, so that and Addams Family Values at least.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Mrs. McKnight's Parents started quarantining when we did so they could hang out with us. So we will be 5 for the holiday this year. All of the family that are covid-deniers and antivaxxers were not invited.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My wife is making an amazing feast for just our family. Somehow she has 15 dishes planned for the 4 of us? I imagine we will then package up food and do drop offs for her father and sister, who will be alone this year. Usually we host around 25-30 people in our home on Thanksgiving.

It's funny because my wife has been doing Thanksgiving for over 15 years now and people have are calling her the past few days for recipes because they have to make it themselves this year.

Last edited:

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Cooking with my wife, trying a turkey confit method I found. Since we're not having guests this year obviously, trying something a little different in turkey preparation.

Just enjoy my 5 days off and relax, watch the Macy's parade, national dog show, football, catch up on some video games. My mother is dropping off some champagne and a couple sides to still feel "together" in a way. Of course will FaceTime everyone around dinner time.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
My wife is making an amazing feast for just our family. Somehow she has 15 dishes planned for the 4 of us? I imagine we will then package up food and do drop offs for her father and sister, who will be alone this year. Usually we host around 25-30 people in our home on Thanksgiving.

It's funny because my wife has been doing Thanksgiving for over 15 years now and people have are calling her the past few days for recipes because they have to make it themselves this year.
Damn, 15 dishes!