• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Bug fables, found better than even Paper Mario:TTYD
nWwaWq.png
Can confirm this game is fantastic and scratches that Paper Mario itch hard.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Would it be safe to assume that there's been no decent indie games this year, since that's what the OP asked for and almost everyone is posting old stuff?

There must be new games, surely.
So like, indie games don't really gain attention in the same way that mainstream ones do. Very few are "discovered" around the time they first come out. Hollow Knight only got a bunch of attention over a year after it came out when the console ports got released. You can try to look for only contemporary ones, but you're practically guaranteed to overlook something good if you limit yourself to that. The two game I posted are some of my favorite games from recent years that I didn't even know existed until the year after they came out.

Also it's not very nice to show up in a thread just to complain about everyone else in it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

In Other Waters on Steam

Play as an Artificial Intelligence guiding a stranded xenobiologist through a beautiful and mysterious alien ocean. A non-violent sci-fi story, enter a world of wonder, fear and vulnerability, unraveling the history and ecology of an impossible planet. What will you discover together?

IOW is like a combo of Capsule and Sunless Skies. Stylish, minimalist presentation with great writing and killer sound design.

store.steampowered.com

Save 25% on THE LONGING on Steam

An unusual mix of adventure and idle game. In utter loneliness deep below the surface, it's your task to wait for the awakening of your king... for 400 days.

An unusual mix of adventure and idle game. In utter loneliness deep below the surface, it's your task to wait for the awakening of your king... for 400 days.

store.steampowered.com

Save 70% on Overcrowd: A Commute 'Em Up on Steam

Design and build the most efficient metro stations known to man! Excavate. Expand. Set staff priorities. And manage the commuter flow. Overcrowd is a 2.5D management/tycoon/simulator set below the bustling city of Lubdon Town.

Best indie management game out there atm. Charming presentation with deep mechanics.

store.steampowered.com

WORLD OF HORROR on Steam

Experience the quiet terror of this 1-bit love letter to Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft. Navigate a hellish roguelite reality with turn-based combat and unforgiving choices. Experiment with your deck of event cards to discover new forms of cosmic horror in every playthrough. The inevitable awaits...

1-bit love letter to Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft. Navigate a hellish roguelite reality with turn-based combat and unforgiving choices. Experiment with your deck of event cards to discover new forms of cosmic horror in every playthrough. The inevitable awaits...

store.steampowered.com

Save 25% on Stoneshard on Steam

Stoneshard is a challenging turn-based RPG set in an open world. Experience the unforgiving life of a medieval mercenary: travel across the war-torn kingdom, fulfill contracts, fight, mend your wounds and develop your character without any restrictions.

Traditional, turn-based rouge with killer hand-drawn art style. Deep systems and creative setting.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Lonely Mountain: Downhill (also on Game Pass)

You're welcome.

Something like this, but with motorbikes. Instead of restarting you fall off your bike and have to get back on. Densely packed and diverse open world, with some separate, dedicated race tracks, and opportunities to earn stars through challenges. Then, of course, multiplayer.

Bam, there you've got yourself a 2020 Excitebikes.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The Fall Episode 1

Really amazing 5-7 hour experience with a super interesting narrative. Unfortunately it ends kind of on a cliffhanger. I haven't played Episode 2 yet though I do own it. However I heard there are new mechanics introduced that aren't really great and that the narrative isn't as great. I still heartily recommend playing Episode 1!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like AAA titles are going to get delayed, and since I rely on Gamefly for my new games, I won't be getting FF7 Remake either (they didn't get their copies).

Looking for a really really good indie game from this year that not enough people are talking about. Like Supraland from last year. Or CrossCode from the year before.

Anything so secretly good right now, you are shocked more people aren't talking about it?

Lair of the Clockwork God from Size Five Games:

store.steampowered.com

Lair of the Clockwork God on Steam

A fast-paced Point-and-Click adventure AND an indie platfomer in one! Join adventurer Ben and wannabe indie darling Dan in a race against time to stop all the Apocalypses happening at the same time.
www.gog.com

Lair of the Clockwork God

Please note that Devil's Kiss is included in this purchase. WHY PLAY ONLY ONE GENRE

99% positive after 250 reviews on Steam, 8/10 from Edge, and almost universally positive feedback from everyone who has actually reviewed it (sadly not many people).

A point & click/platformer fusion with hilarious, first rate dialogue.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
BallisticNG and Caves of Qud on the first page, so I'm pleased. Both are masterpieces.

Unexplored is another one that's stuck with me. I've been playing the alpha builds of Unexplored 2, but the first game is still a fantastic game.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
n++

store.steampowered.com

N++ (NPLUSPLUS) on Steam

N++ is a fast-paced, momentum-based platformer about darting around obstacles, narrowly evading enemies and collecting gold in a beautiful minimalist landscape.

N Plus Plus (N++)

N is a fast-paced, momentum-based platformer about darting around obstacles, narrowly evading enemies and collecting gold in a beautiful minimalist landscape. In addition to the lengthy and challenging single player campaign, we’ve packed a ton of features into this one last entry in the N...
www.nintendo.com

N++ (NPLUSPLUS) for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

Learn more and find out how to purchase the N++ (NPLUSPLUS) game for Nintendo Switch on the Official Nintendo site.

giphy.gif
MicroDroneTrans1.gif

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
I wish I knew how to post the links all fancy-style like you guys... The media tag sometimes won't even register the links and flat out refuse to appear in my post. I'll use regular links for those instead.

Grimm's Hollow - A fantastic, short single person turn based RPG. You won't get party members and it's up to you to save the soul of your loved one. It's also free.

Lenin the Lion - Not THAT Lenin... Like Undertale but depressing. If you were one of the few waiting for Omori to release, this is basically it.

Mythic Ocean - Get to know gods an influence what kind of world they end up creating. Will they create order or chaos?

The Longing - As a small shade, you need to wait 400 days for your king to wake up. Try and find ways to fight loneliness.

Metaware Highschool (demo) - Not actually a demo. Doki doki literature club, but no scares, it's more about finding meaning in existence. This one's free as well.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Did the issues with Dangen Entertainment ever get resolved on this one? I remember wanting to support it and then seeing that the devs were getting shafted by the publisher.
There was a scandal with them and one of the devs whose games they publish but I don't think it was Moonsprout Games, if I remember correctly.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is one of the better metroidvania's I've played so you should consider that one! Looks and plays great, has excellent music, and there's a fun puzzle element that you don't see in the genre too often. Doesn't get enough love.
I second this. Absolutely loved that game.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Here are a couple I really enjoyed from the past few years:

OCTAHEDRON - A frenetic 2D arcade platformer where you create platforms below your feet. My 2018 GOTY and one of the best arcade games ever created!
octahedron_blog_featured.jpg

Eagle Island
- A pixel art roguelike where you attack with an owl. My 2019 GOTY, but it gets mixed reviews.
combo.gif

Creature in the Well
- A mix of dungeon crawler and pinball. Only gripe is the last boss difficulty spike.
Steam_gif.jpg

FAR: Lone Sails
- A chill, cinematic, sidescroller with light puzzle elements. More about atmosphere than anything.
FAR_TrailerSelect_for_Gif_02.gif

Old Man's Journey - Another chill, emotional, story-based, casual sidescroller.
traveling000.png

Gris - An artsy 2D platformer.
giphy.gif

Shape of the World - A short first person exploration game in a really vibrant world with an insane amount of color palettes. My 2018 GOTY runner-up.
RedStairs_-_Copie.png

And some further back:

Thumper - A hellish rhythm game, My 2016 GOTY.
140 - A minimalist rhythm based platformer from Jeppe Carlsen of Playdead Games (Limbo, INSIDE).
Velocity 2X - A frenetic mix of SHMUP and platforming. Another case of arcade perfection!
Sound Shapes - A minimalist rhythm based platformer originally on PS3 and Vita, with a later PS4 port.
Furi - A boss fighting game with an excellent style and soundtrack.

There are also a few great games you can get real cheap right now, or with subscriptions:

Membrane, a fun little physics-based plaformer where you have a gun that shoots sticky blocks to create platforms, is 9 cents on Switch (NA).
Lightmatter is a great Portal-like puzzle game that's free if you're an Amazon Prime Member. Even if you just need something on Amazon and want to take them up on the free trial, you can download the games. That's what I did.
Etherborn is there too. It's okay.
Hob is free on the Epic Store. Epic is always giving away great indies like Celeste, Hyper Light Drifter, and The Talos Priciple. I sadly missed A Short Hike.

I also agree these previous mentions are good to excellent:

Lonely Mountains: Downhill
Snake Pass
(one of my absolute favorite platformers of all-time!)
The Pedestrian
Yoku's Island Express

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Did the issues with Dangen Entertainment ever get resolved on this one? I remember wanting to support it and then seeing that the devs were getting shafted by the publisher.
Bug Fables specifically was never brought up, but I don't really have much confidence in them having been paid after everything else that came out. Plus I don't want to do business with a publisher run by a predator.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
store.steampowered.com

In Other Waters on Steam

Play as an Artificial Intelligence guiding a stranded xenobiologist through a beautiful and mysterious alien ocean. A non-violent sci-fi story, enter a world of wonder, fear and vulnerability, unraveling the history and ecology of an impossible planet. What will you discover together?

IOW is like a combo of Capsule and Sunless Skies. Stylish, minimalist presentation with great writing and killer sound design.

store.steampowered.com

Save 25% on THE LONGING on Steam

store.steampowered.com

Save 70% on Overcrowd: A Commute 'Em Up on Steam

Design and build the most efficient metro stations known to man! Excavate. Expand. Set staff priorities. And manage the commuter flow. Overcrowd is a 2.5D management/tycoon/simulator set below the bustling city of Lubdon Town.

Best indie management game out there atm. Charming presentation with deep mechanics.

store.steampowered.com

WORLD OF HORROR on Steam

Experience the quiet terror of this 1-bit love letter to Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft. Navigate a hellish roguelite reality with turn-based combat and unforgiving choices. Experiment with your deck of event cards to discover new forms of cosmic horror in every playthrough. The inevitable awaits...

1-bit love letter to Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft. Navigate a hellish roguelite reality with turn-based combat and unforgiving choices. Experiment with your deck of event cards to discover new forms of cosmic horror in every playthrough. The inevitable awaits...

store.steampowered.com

Save 25% on Stoneshard on Steam

Stoneshard is a challenging turn-based RPG set in an open world. Experience the unforgiving life of a medieval mercenary: travel across the war-torn kingdom, fulfill contracts, fight, mend your wounds and develop your character without any restrictions.

Traditional, turn-based rouge with killer hand-drawn art style. Deep systems and creative setting.
The Longing looks really cool, and your review is the top voted haha well done.

World Of Horror is such an odd mix, didn't know that JRPG elements would work with a Junji Ito inspired horror visual novel, but it works when I play it and lose! 😅

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Would it be safe to assume that there's been no decent indie games this year, since that's what the OP asked for and almost everyone is posting old stuff?

There must be new games, surely.

Personally most of the promising indies have been early access games so far this year, but i can list a few that aren't even if i wouldn't call them hidden or gems for the most part but still decent in their own rights.

Great:

store.steampowered.com

Hayfever on Steam

Help Thomas the Allergic Mailman gather all his lost letters in this challenging and unique 2D platformer! In Hayfever, the player takes control of Thomas – a young postman with a strong work ethic. There is just one tiny little issue… Thomas suffers from terrible (and we mean TERRIBLE) allergies.
store.steampowered.com

One Step From Eden on Steam

Build a powerful deck, cast spells on the fly, battle evolving enemies, find game-changing artifacts, make friends or make enemies, just make it to Eden.
Average/Good:
store.steampowered.com

MindSeize on Steam

MindSeize is a 2D Metroidvania game set in a Sci-Fi-universe. Transfer your mind to a robot and rescue your beloved one!
store.steampowered.com

Steam Store

Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.
store.steampowered.com

KUNAI on Steam

KUNAI is a quirky, fast-paced action platformer. You play as Tabby, a tablet who joins the fight against a robot uprising. Use your kunai and ninja parkour skills to stop Lemonkus, the A.I.-gone-evil that almost wiped out all human life.

The three first i'd argue are the best ones i listed, with M&S being my personal goty this year. One Step From Eden i don't think can be considered a hidden gem, far too popular but that's a really solid 2020 release.

Last edited:

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
So like, indie games don't really gain attention in the same way that mainstream ones do. Very few are "discovered" around the time they first come out. Hollow Knight only got a bunch of attention over a year after it came out when the console ports got released. You can try to look for only contemporary ones, but you're practically guaranteed to overlook something good if you limit yourself to that. The two game I posted are some of my favorite games from recent years that I didn't even know existed until the year after they came out.

Also it's not very nice to show up in a thread just to complain about everyone else in it.
Not trying to complain about people, just that the topic outlined in the OP is one that's of interest to me, but the responses are not.

It would have been a chance for people to post about indie games they loved this year, Hollow Knight is great but it's not like it fits the brief or needs any help with exposure, ditto many of the other responses. This sort of thread is the reason why indies struggle to get attention at release, as you mention!

Jul 24, 2018
Forgotten Anne, ironically a forgotten gem from last year with an excellent soundtrack EDIT: Ah shit, I just remembered the game was actually from 2018 but play it anyway, lol!

CHC

Oct 27, 2017

This game is amazing, it's just a harrowing and gut-wrenching journey, but yet has a real humanity to it. I bought it for 3 dollars and wound up being really captivated and moved right from the incredibly brutal intro, which was so striking because of it's grisly depiction of an abusive father in a sort of Earthbound-esque pixel art presentation. The whole presentation, in fact, is a bit of a trap. It sets you up expecting off-beat humor and post-apocalyptic zaniness, but the story at the core of it is a really earnest and emotional one. Brad, as a character, was so well-realized and his whole "arc" was such a complete and satisfying one

The expansion was outstanding too.

store.steampowered.com

Save 20% on LISA: The Painful on Steam

The miserable journey of a broken man...

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
How is Dead Cells? I know it came out in late 2018, but somehow I missed it. Looks like a really stylish, deep metroidvania, but does it play as good as it looks?

OP
OP
FolderBrad

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Really appreciate the recommendations here.

Should have carlified that I prefer games from this year, but good stuff none the less.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Pathologic 2.

It isn't just one of the best indie games ever made -- it's one of the best games ever made period.

Also on GOG.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Sayonara Wild Hearts is a short but amazing "music action" game (best description I can come up with). It's kind of like modern Sonic gameplay but in sync with some amazing music and a simple but compelling almost-wordless story about coping with breakups. Game Music Fanfare described it best as the video game embodiment of pop music itself. Don't buy if you don't like short games, but I personally replay this quite a lot to try to beat my not-so-high scores. Also they somehow got Queen Latifah to be the announcer.

Kentucky Route Zero is a narrative game about a delivery man on his last job trying to find an address on a secret highway. It's about how people endure economic hardship and it's brilliant with some of the best writing I have read in any game. Don't buy if you don't like games with lots of reading or games without much actual gameplay.

Niaboc

Nov 2, 2017
Operencia: The Stolen Sun. launched to xbox gamepass but just released to ps4, steam, gog and switch.

"Operencia embraces everything you love about classic first-person dungeon-crawlers, enhancing the old-school turn-based RPG experience with modern sensibilities. Guide a team of memorable characters through a world inspired by Central European mythology. "

It was the most fun I had playing a game last year because its a genre we almost never see and it was executed so well.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Pankapu is a really cool platformer I just picked up. Same with Dogurai.
Really enjoying ATOMIK RunGunJumpGun atm.

There's so many indie gems on the eShop it's difficult to know where to begin really.

Door Kickers: Action Squad was one of my favourite games last year and I don't hear that discussed often.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers on Steam

You are Tiny, a nerdy inventor, who tries to reclaim his most beloved possession - Grandpa's underpants!

This isnt that recent but secretly the second best Puzzle-Adventure Game you will ever play.

store.steampowered.com

Snake Pass on Steam

Slither, coil and climb your way to the top of Haven Tor in this one of a kind physics based, puzzle platform adventure from award winning independent studio Sumo Digital!

Also Snake Pass, the second best Collectathon out there.

I can vouch for these as hidden gems if you're a fan of 3D Platformers.

Wish Black Pants Studios would put out another 3D game even if I do like their other games. Tiny and Big has such a unique personality

The Bad Guy

Oct 25, 2017

Really good game. Constantly being updated. I don't know if it's unknown, but I haven't heard it being talked about much here.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Beautiful Desolation, Lair of the Clockwork God and Supreland. All have great reviews both user and critical.

Oct 25, 2017
Slay the Spire is only getting better with the fairly recent addition of the 4th character on consoles. Dozens of hours here easily if you like that sorta thing.
I've been waiting to get it on iPad since it seems perfect there and last I heard they were in final testing, not sure if that means it's delayed on

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lair of the Clockwork God from Size Five Games:

store.steampowered.com

Lair of the Clockwork God on Steam

A fast-paced Point-and-Click adventure AND an indie platfomer in one! Join adventurer Ben and wannabe indie darling Dan in a race against time to stop all the Apocalypses happening at the same time.
www.gog.com

Lair of the Clockwork God

Please note that Devil's Kiss is included in this purchase. WHY PLAY ONLY ONE GENRE

99% positive after 250 reviews on Steam, 8/10 from Edge, and almost universally positive feedback from everyone who has actually reviewed it (sadly not many people).

A point & click/platformer fusion with hilarious, first rate dialogue.

I'd recommend this too but only if you know what you're getting into - it's a really top-notch, very funny adventure game bolted onto a mediocre platformer. The P&C parts are genuinely superb.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
What the Golf is incredible. I have no idea how they managed to come up with so many variations on one theme. It's out on Apple Arcade and EGS, with a Steam release planned for this year.