• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the PS5 have PS1 backwards compatibility?

• Likely

Votes: 124 13.3%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 810 86.7%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Back during the PS3 days, I bought my fair share of PS1 games from PSN. It was nice. Then the PS4 was released and couldn't even play them, despite the fact that the fucking PSP could.

Like seriously, if the PS5 still can't play them, what the fuck is Sony even doing.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it was happening, I feel like they would've said it by now. PS4 never got it and it is more than capable of doing it. I just don't think they care enough to do PSOne BC.

I remember back in Fall 2015 they released a survey about features that fans want on PS4. Things like name changes, folders, and PS1/2 games were options. We ended up getting SOME PS2 games, but four and a half years later they never once acknowledged PS1 on PS4 outside of Jim Ryan's "why would anyone play that" comment.

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
I want to stay hopeful and say yes. But I can't see it as a top priority for Sony.

holoqh

Oct 1, 2019
Internet
With FFVII coming out and all... I kinda struggle to see it. If they wanna market remakes from the PS1 going forward, allowing you to play the original would be like competing against themselves.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think we'd have heard something by now if it were intended. Going off of how poorly Sony communicated the PS4 backwards compatibility I wouldn't hold my breath for better than what they eventually communicated about the PS4 games.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
With FFVII coming out and all... I kinda struggle to see it. If they wanna market remakes from the PS1 going forward, allowing you to play the original would be like competing against themselves.

The way they structured the first 'episode' of FFVIIR, it's pretty required to know anything about what's going on. At least at this point haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately the PS5 simply isn't strong enough to emulate PS1 games. Otherwise surely Sony would implement a feature similar to what the PS3 had.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it would've been mentioned in the BC portion of their deep dive if it was supported. Don't hold you breath.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
I want it but I think at this point the ROI for licensing and the sort probably isn't worth it over lovingly remastering or remaking the standouts. That being said I think we all could really use a Remaster/Remake of Brave Fencer Musashi, Square-Enix!

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I just don't think Sony cares about their legacy BC anymore. Seems we'll get PS4 BC, but about it. I'll be surprised if there's more than that.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
I don't know, call me an optimist, but I still hope they are going to come out for the PS5 reveal and show full backwards compatibility. I'm wrong, of course, but someone has to hope :)

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be weird for them to bring it back for PS5 after having left PS4 without PSOne compatibility for 7 years. The PS4 is just as capable of emulating the PSOne as the PS5 will be.

That...just isn't the reason. Like, there isn't going to be huge demand for remakes of PSOne games, and whatever demand there is should not be damaged by the presence in the market of the original games. FFVII certainly wasn't. The remake has probably boosted sales of the PS4 version of the original, and vice versa.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Back during the PS3 days, I bought my fair share of PS1 games from PSN. It was nice. Then the PS4 was released and couldn't even play them, despite the fact that the fucking PSP could.

Like seriously, if the PS5 still can't play them, what the fuck is Sony even doing.

Concentrating on new games. Seems to be working well for them.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
As nice as it would be, Sony has shown time and time again they don't care unless it gives them a lot of money. And well, BC for 20+ yo games would garner them goodwill, not money.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope so. I still have some JRPGs in the backlog.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
If it was happening, I feel like they would've said it by now. PS4 never got it and it is more than capable of doing it. I just don't think they care enough to do PSOne BC.
To be fair, they haven't said much as of yet. We don't even know if cross-buy is officially a thing, we're just assuming/hoping it is. There's so much we don't know that anything is possible however PS1 BC is unlikely but not because they "would've said it by now."

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think most of the good PS1 games either have better newer versions or remakes on PS4.

I think once Nintendo brings N64 games to the switch, maybe with some graphical polish and reworking, we might see something similar on PS5.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly it seems quite unlikely. Maybe if Microsoft leads this generation they will have a reason to, but even then I wouldn't count on it.

Oct 29, 2017
Man nahh. Sony doesn't care about that at all. I'd buy Final Fantasy Tactics + MVC2 all over again if PS5 had the option. I don't even care that I already paid for em on ps3.

You hear me Sony!!!?? Come get your free money!!

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I would hope so. I have a few classics I would love to play again that are sitting on my shelf, but no bc means they continue to collect dust.

Hoping if its not offered out the box, they end up selling the enable feature on the store or something.

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
That would be the dream wouldn't it? Put any era PlayStation game into the PS5 and it runs. Would be amazing

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
They should. I was really hoping for full BC with PS1,2,3 (even without enhancements).

But they won't. :(

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Zero chance. And if it did they'd make you rebuy them anyway like they did with PS2 on PS4.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Wait, the ff7 remaster is on the psnstore, right? Clearly it's not an issue there.