• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball Z. One Piece.

The "high class" stuff most people talk about when they recommend anime is horrible as "gateway" stuff. It creates a false representation, so what happens is they exhaust the few things that are like that then swear every other anime is garbage. That's not a gateway lol Better to show them something a wide variety of people love, so they understand anime isn't just all prestige stuff--that's an unrealistic expectation.
As a One Piece fan, it's way too long to be useful as a gateway series for most

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cowboy Bebop is the best one, because you can pick nearly any episode based on the person and what they like.

Death Note and either FMA series are also great for this. Also, my mom loves Attack on Titan, so that can work. Steins;Gate is a great choice if they're already somewhat immersed in need culture. Madoka Magic's works as a gateway only because of how great it is. It'd probably work better for women, though.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
One Punch Man - not a big fan myself but some people I know totally oblivious about anime liked it
Assassination Classroom - Humor, action, very nice plot and characters
Black Lagoon - Probably the best because it's the less childish of the lot (for most people anime = teen protagonists with funny colored hairs), and everyone likes pirates/guns and mafia things

Edit : Also OPM and AssClass are on Netflix, that's a big plus

And let's hope this will be a gateway to manga, the superior medium : o

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd discount any recs for things that ate 100+ episodes long. They are more of a Tier 2 recommendation. Small exception if it's a series that may get there but is currently airing and is only 3 or so seasons in.

The type of person that was going to get into Naruto or DBZ doesn't need a prod really (and I'd wager a lot of people get into those shows as a kid or teen and grow up with them).

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Kill La Kill

jE4dhPt.jpg

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I would say Death Note, but it loses steam at the end IMO.

FMA Brotherhood is a pretty good choice, but I'd still go with Cowboy Bebop if the person is an adult.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Either of the FMAs
Space Dandy
Cowboy Bebop
Mob Psycho 100
One-Punch Man
The Promised Neverland
My Hero Academia
Hinamatsuri

These are shows I'd probably recommend to newcomers.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Naruto and Full metal alchemist.

This could work too if the person is a gym rat or someone who listens to Joe Rogan on the regular. Neither qualifier is necessary to enjoy this fantastic anime, though.
I'm a gym rat and even hardcore bodybuilders at my gym are way into mainstream shonen.

One piece, naruto, DBZ, MHA and a lot of Pokémon merch.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shows that are more structured like regular tv shows with less shonen bullshit and awful pacing, so full metal alchemist, cowboy bebop and deathnote

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This probably isn't much help for modern anime tastes or for series (outside Eva) but my gateway stuff was the 80s and 90s manime stuff that came through Manga Entertainment or Streamline, all the usual hits like Akira, Ninja Scroll, Demon City Shinjuku, Vampire Hunter D (original film). Then for higher quality fare of course Miyazaki, along with things like Wings of Honneamise, Perfect Blue (anything Satoshi Kon really), Grave of the Fireflies. Like I said, very 80s and 90s :p

For a recent series Era turned me onto Mob Psycho 100 is probably the best thing I've seen, also Devilman Crybaby is all kinds of delightful insanity if you're into the dark, ultraviolent stuff.

Oh yeah and for a recent film example I really enjoyed was Your Name, great flick.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly anything directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, well, except Space Dandy. So
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Kids on the Slope

And if you're remembering one with the word Terror in the title, you're misremembering things. No such title exists

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Cowboy Bebop is a good pick.

My Hero Academia and One Punch Man, since we're living in a world of superhero entertainment right now

Attack on Titan is another good one.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Death Note is pretty much the "Gateway Anime" imo.

Though I also know multiple people who never watched anime before that were sucked in by Attack On Titan and One Punch Man.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol don't say Miyazaki movies. That just made me love those and think other anime was trash in comparison.
This is a weird take, considering Miyazaki films are like the height of the medium. It's like watching, idk, a Scorcese film or Kubrick film and then saying "all other films are trash by comparison".

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Are we talking trying to open people up to the medium of anime? Or like... trying to acclimate them to some anime-ass anime?

If the former, I'd almost recommend something like Space Brothers, or even Polar Bear Cafe. Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo could be good too, depending on what kind of stuff they're into.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I recently started watching Anime after swearing it off for years. Death Note was good, My Hero Academia has me hooked, and Attack on Titan is brilliant, so I would recommend those to people.

However I am going to save this thread so I can check out the other recommendations as it should be really useful.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Depends on who you're targeting. For example, Death Note (English dub) is the only anime my dad has liked. He hasn't liked anything else so far, although western shows like Game of Thrones have been a success.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Cowboy Bebop are incredible choices.

Death Note was what sparked my interest though. I think it does a great job in terms of not being too long, being quality throughout, and leaning into those weird supernatural elements and hyper-geniuses and all-according-to-keikaku. A lot of anime has those elements and a bunch of western media doesn't, and in terms of an anime being both very good and serving as sort of a sampler for what a lot of the field tends to offer it's fantastic.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Cowboy Beebop will always be the goat as far as being a great gateway drug anime.

Hell, I knew a dude in college who wasn't into TV/Visual media AT ALL but he was super into music and in particular Jazz. When I told him about the series he said he'd check it out and a few weeks later he was asking if I had any other recommendations.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mention Death Note because the anime is very... flawed, specifically in its later episodes. I would recommend the manga without question, though.

Oct 27, 2017
-Monster
-Cowboy Bepop
-Black Lagoon
-Berserk
-Perfect Blue
-Jojo's Bizzare Adventure

Only thing on the list that might be a bit weird is JoJo but even then it could definitely work for people who don't watch anime because it is western while being Japanese as hell.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
This is a weird take, considering Miyazaki films are like the height of the medium. It's like watching, idk, a Scorcese film or Kubrick film and then saying "all other films are trash by comparison".
anime isn't "all films" tho. the reason for this thread is that people need to be introduced to it and get into it. My post was mostly sarcastic tho. I will say however as someone who's not really into anime, the way characters, especially girls are drawn in those movies is a breathe of fresh air compared to many popular anime.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
anime isn't "all films" tho. the reason for this thread is that people need to be introduced to it and get into it. My post was mostly sarcastic tho. I will say however as someone who's not really into anime, the way characters, especially girls are drawn in those movies is a breathe of fresh air compared to many popular anime.
Obviously anime isn't 'all films', that's why used another example. Sure, I would agree with you there. Miyazaki is one of the greatest filmmakers to ever live, and plenty of anime is pulpy schlock. There is still a ton of high quality anime out there though.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Obviously anime isn't 'all films', that's why used another example. Sure, I would agree with you there. Miyazaki is one of the greatest filmmakers to ever live, and plenty of anime is pulpy schlock. There is still a ton of high quality anime out there though.
I'm sure there is. Just haven't looked into it seriously enough to find one yet.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I showed several friends Bunny Drop who weren't interested in anime and it went over great. I can't really imagine someone disliking that show. On the other hand, I don't think it really makes for a smooth transition to other anime.