• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
latest
From fear of the enemy to fear of the grating music.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Ellie holding a knife to an incapacitated Lev because Abby said she wasn't going to fight (and this is after Abby and Lev had been starved, tortured, for who knows how long). Absolute rock-bottom for Ellie. She became a huge piece of shit.

Ellie is a total garbage person, just like Joel. Great characters all around though.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
045.jpg
Where NOT ready when the hand followed me into the next room, thought I were safe from it
Almost screamed

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Sorrow fight doesn't really stick with me exactly but in the moment it never fails to creep me out as someone who is very bad at horror games. The first time I played it and saw this I think I shut the game off.

latest

Some other moments -

P1cY_TbBWipVoFuIRJ0XrtpDBaHri16lwa1d-ecE3TBxzwzjyA3FIOq7JUGbFyU-g4D0W5g-1tfwfRhZOs6LlUXaBIAh-pPkBzB81tscZpFqH4ZMr9pVsLZeVbzVTmhgbIWw01gy

from Twilight Princess

and this moment from FFXIV Shadowbringers

dnxye4hgizg31.jpg

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Can we get some context here? I played through Fable 2 recently, but this looks like something from the DLC which I played 8 years ago lol.
Behind one of the demon doors is a lovely snowy cabin, once you get too close the a scream is shouted and the entire scene changes in an instant. Instead it turns into a burnt down shack with dead bodies and other horrifying stuff.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Lisa in PT seriously messes with me. It's like a visceral response. I actually went to google an image and became unnerved from the google search results.

So fuck it, you get nothing, era.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gonna cheat slightly with a gif, but I nearly died at this first time. Still think about the face of the child. lol.

fatal_frame_ii_-_twind4j9u.gif

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I finished it a week ago so it's very fresh in my mind
maxresdefault.jpg

Ellie's quest is 'complete' - she found Abby, or at least what's left from her. This reveal was so tragic - and the follow up fight even moreso because both sides were desperate to survive even though Abby didn't want to fight at all and just wanted to run away with Lev to safety. Ellie's actions here are irredeemable and made me disgusted to take part in that fight (as the player).

maxresdefault.jpg

This last shot of Ellie after the fight, all broken after sparing Abby's life and staring into the abyss is really powerful imo. It stuck with me for a while after finishing the game. This part of the game made me feel things I never did with any other games to date.

Jul 1, 2020
The end of Life is Strange episode 3
Where Max enters the alternate timeline and Chloe is paralyzed even though Max had good intentions by saving William

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished it a week ago so it's very fresh in my mind
maxresdefault.jpg

Ellie's quest is 'complete' - she found Abby, or at least what's left from her. This reveal was so tragic - and the follow up fight even moreso because both sides were desperate to survive even though Abby didn't want to fight at all and just wanted to run away with Lev to safety. Ellie's actions here are irredeemable and made me disgusted to take part in that fight (as the player).

maxresdefault.jpg

This last shot of Ellie after the fight, all broken after sparing Abby's life and staring into the abyss is really powerful imo. It stuck with me for a while after finishing the game. This part of the game made me feel things I never did with any other games to date.
Yes

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Link_vs._Dead_Hand.png

I don't think you realise how much screaming was involved when 12 year old me fought this boss.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Once a week I remember this expression and hits hard.

EhgSLsjXgAAJvzJ

Honestly I'd have to agree with this. TLoU:P2 had its fair share of problems in retrospect but something about those final few scenes, and the sheer 'rawness' of the emotions on display really got to me; I can't put it into words, I suppose. I just feel a deep sense of... something whilst thinking back on those moments.

Would love if they came out with a statue of this moment. I've genuinely been thinking of getting the Collector's Edition to have some sort of memorabilia from the game, but I'm not a fan of the whole "omg so edgy she's playing guitar with an open wound on her head woooow," thing lol

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Honestly I'd have to agree with this. TLoU:P2 had its fair share of problems in retrospect but something about those final few scenes, and the sheer 'rawness' of the emotions on display really got to me; I can't put it into words, I suppose. I just feel a deep sense of... something whilst thinking back on those moments.
Yeah, gotta give props to ND's tech and Ashley's acting here. Both delivered the best they could in this scene.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good one. Spent all that time trying to beat this bullshit and you get rewarded with that because you didn't find the emeralds.

And if you actually get all the emeralds they both die and you realize Sonic 2 is a video game adaption of 'An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge' and the entire game was the dying fantasy of Sonic after being defeated by Robotnik sometime after Sonic 1.

hqdefault.jpg

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017

The Suffering.
Context: you're looking at CCTV monitors in the prison, which are scanning channels randomly. You see a bunch of messed up stuff going down on some of the cameras. Then the channel goes to a feed of YOU in the monitor room... and that other guy is in the room with you, shambling towards you. I never hit the B button so fast! Then you turn around... and he isn't there anymore...
Man that's a deep cut. I loved the first Suffering game a lot. Criminally underrated

Oct 27, 2017
Super weird because I referenced the story today (An Occurrence At Owl Creek) - in a completely unrelated discussion before this one. What're the odds!?

Funnily enough I've never actually read the story (although I have read some other short stories by Bierce IIRC), but know of it via Jacob's Ladder. I should read it sometime.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
so it's not scary at all, but a shot that has stuck with me is from near the end of Life Is Strange: Before the Storm ep 1, where Chloe (spoilers for that ep and the original LiS) is raging at everything in the junkyard and then discovers the car that her dad died in

chloediscovery.gif

Knowing what happens seeing her go from sore, but ultimately teenage rage to pure, absolute pain and sadness just kills me inside.