• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you enjoy Western or Eastern Games MORE?

• Western

Votes: 388 37.1%
  • Eastern

Votes: 658 62.9%

• Total voters

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Western no contest.

I like RPGs with choice and consequences and some narrative freedom. That's my favorite genre by far.

Love shooters, adventure games like Assassin's Creed, Strategy games like Total War. Western games are just my cup of tea.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually more I think about it, I'd probably actually choose western. 2 out 3 of my favorite games this gen are eastern but when I start thinking about the quantity and variety of western games I enjoy...there are a lot more

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Eastern games tend to...

- Have art styles, settings, character designs, soundtracks, and general aesthetics that appeal to my personal senses more often
- Focus more on linear (or at least not open-world) experiences, though perhaps not quite as much lately
- Have main characters whose stories you follow instead of casting "you" as a silent protagonist

...all of which I prefer, so Eastern games. There are plenty of Western games I like too, though -- I don't discriminate!

Last edited:

Vyrance

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Love both, but I prefer western. I prefer western style RPGs and enjoy their stories more.

Also, western games tend to have better keyboard and mouse controls.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a strong preference.
My favorite games are immersive sims - so I guess that makes it a Western vote, since it's largely dominated by Western developers.
I strongly prefer first-person over third-person, though more and more Western games are going third-person now too.
But I also really like gameplay-focused JRPGs and many other "Eastern" games.
SRPGs and Turn-Based Tactics games feel very similar and one is typically Eastern with the other Western, but I love them both.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like both, but prefer japanese games.

I don't know why you say you don't like japanese games, its not like they are all the same thing. Resident Evil is a japanese franchise, and it still look like something from the west(RE7 is Texas Chainsaw Massacre with monsters, basically)

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Had I encountered this question two months ago, I wouldn't have hesitated to say Western games. I have an Xbox One and with few if any exceptions, thr games I've put the most time into this gen have come from western devs: Xcom, Hitman, Assassin's Creed, Forza. I remember JRPGs fondly from my youth, but the thought of playing one now just doesn't really appeal to me.

But, I got a Switch last month. And while I'm not exactly racing to get Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy, being reintroduced to Nintendo's series has been really enjoyable to an extent that has caught me off-guard. I was not expecting to be sucked into Fire Emblem in 2019, but here I am.

OP
OP
GamerDude

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like both, but prefer japanese games.

I don't know why you say you don't like japanese games, its not like they are all the same thing. Resident Evil is a japanese franchise, and it still look like something from the west(RE7 is Texas Chainsaw Massacre with monsters, basically)

Haha yes, Resident Evil is basically my one exception. I really enjoy most of that series.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Western until 2-3 years ago, the recent output of places like Bioware, DICE, Bethesda, and the battle royale craze has really soured me on western studios. I still look forward to Cyberpunk and the new Star Wars game but I find myself more interested in japanese games nowadays, love the Yakuza series and starting to think about diving into stuff like danganropa and other JRPGs I never touched.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Eastern except for indies and smaller games. Still like western output in terms of those. Western AAA's I've pretty much completely lost interesting in with a rare exception here and there.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Western, find them to be far more ambitious, mechanics are usually more polished (RDR2, GoW, Forza Horizon, Halo, Uncharted), superior soundtrack, prefer the stories they tell and best of all, almost always pushing networking (multiplayer) in meaningful ways.

Agree with the cringe factor in J-games being a significant component towards my dislike for them. Tidus laughing scene, and the subsequent argument to validate it being the worst offender.

Last edited:

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Western games by a mile.

For single player games the story and writing in Japanese games is almost always ham-fisted and eyeroll-inducing.

More importantly, western devs are miles ahead when it comes to multiplayer.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Western. Higher production values, better representation, often at a higher level of storytelling and just less cringey.
Plus it has all these amazing indie games.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern by far.

After spending last gen playing many Western games. Particularly in AAA space for the genres I like, their output bores me to no end with their settings and gameplay loops. Better production values don't mean shit for me either.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Both, but maybe I somewhat favor Western games because:

- I like indies, there's no competition there
- I like PC games
- I have no interest in VNs or 99% of JRPGs
- I don't like anime / waifu stuff

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
If we're talking just AAA, then eastern by far since most western games lean way too much on being realistic and/or "mature" which I personally find very boring. But if we're including indies it suddenly becomes a tough choice since there are tons of great indies out there like Psychonauts, Bit.Trip Runner, etc that I love.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I really don't care. I end up playing mostly Western games only because the genres I like the most are almost exclusively made there. I'd love to see more Eastern takes on grander strategy games and finicky party-based cRPGs, though.
This is why I prefer Western games. Western developers tend to make games in the genres I prefer. FPS, TPS, RPG, etc.
This isn't to say that I dislike eastern games. My GOAT is SotN and I really enjoy most of Nintendo's output. But if I have a preference it's Western design philosophy.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Western, unless it's a game so fun that I can completely ignore the story and dialog. I will occasionally dip into Black Desert, but after literal years playing it off and on, I don't have a clue what is going on or who anyone is. Demon blob thing tells me to hit things and I hit things.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Japanese/eastern. Old arcade culture legacy that translate to tight gameplay, and a positive and accepting attitude toward sexyness or fun.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Eastern.

Most western games I play are indies. And I have 0 interest in shooters so the biggest western franchises do nothing for me.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont really consciously think about it as I get excited for games but I guess I can certainly say I've been/continue to be more excited for eastern games than western ones.

I've very interested in games like The Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk 2077, but I even more excited for Final Fantasy VIIR, Breath of the Wild 2, Death Stranding, and pretty much whatever Capcom's going to release next.

Personally I like games with a certain amount of "flair", which is very subjective. But when I look at a game like Horizon Zero Dawn, and game I mostly enjoyed at was technically beautiful, I felt that pretty much all the the characters just looked weird and boring, despite wearing mecha bits from robots. Hell even a lot of the robots looked kinda plain to me. I feel like if Eastern devs are pretty good at giving character designs a lot of appealing flair (even apart from sexualization).

Then there's indie games. Most of which on online stores are western made. I've enjoyed a plenty of those so it doesn't really matter aside from in the AAA space.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Surprised eastern is dominating the poll so much.

Unless it's a colorful cereal mascot platformer, I rarely play western games. I'm terrible, I know. "Mature" Japanese series like Metal Gear and Resident Evil have enough camp to not feel overbearingly self-serious like a lot of "mature" western games. Style and presentation are huge as well; I can't think of many western games half as slick feeling as Persona 5, or with soundtracks as bombastic and memorable as the Uematsu Final Fantasies. Western indie games that clearly crib from classic Japanese games obviously need not apply.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Eastern. I honestly can't think of a western game outside of The Sims, Cuphead and SSX (Tricky-On Tour only) that I've really loved.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Putting indies aside, games from Japan (That seems to be what the Eastern 'side' boils down to) appeal to me more because they can come up with unconventional story premises and top that off with interesting or at least fun gameplay.

The last high profile Western game I remember having a very unique setting was Horizon Zero Dawn.

Edit: Correction: Arkane came up with some really rad stuff as well

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
It depends.

I greatly preferred eastern over western games during the 8bit/16bit/PS1/PS2 eras.

I definitely enjoyed more western games during the PS360 era (although Dark Souls and Super Mario Galaxy are in my Top 3 games of Gen 7).

Today, it's kinda mixed when it comes to large-scale games but the west is still in the lead thanks to its awesome indie scene.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't really care. I likely play more western games overall because a lot more of them appeal to me but most of my favourite games are Japanese.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
It's not a lacking poll at all. The entire point is that I want you to choose. "Both" is a useless option. Everyone has a preference (even if only slight). That is what I am interested in.

Your argument is flawed. The region does not define the game type or quality. And YES you need a poll:.

• Western
  • Eastern
  • Both
  • I don't give a damn, I judge each game separately (Art, Story, Game-play, Graphics)

OP
OP
GamerDude

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your argument is flawed. The region does not define the game type or quality. And YES you need a poll:.

• Western
  • Eastern
  • Both
  • I don't give a damn, I judge each game separately (Art, Story, Game-play, Graphics)

Wrong. The argument is not flawed. Just read the thread. It is full of people clearly stating which region has produced more games in the style that interests them most. That was exactly the point of this thread.

I don't need the poll options you have suggested at all, and the results have given me the EXACT information I was seeking. Your suggestions are ridiculous. I am asking which region has produced games that appeal MOST to each person. If you can't choose one, then don't vote.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I typically care much more about western games, and that's because of the prevalence of anime style and eccentricities in Japanese games, which I don't like at all. And even with games that don't utilize an anime style, a lot of them have a narrative style that's just different in a way I can't immediately determine, and I'm not into it. While I've been playing and enjoying Fire Emblem Three Houses, I keep thinking how much I'd prefer if Divinity Original Sin 2 was on the Switch instead.

That being said, there have been plenty of Japanese-made games I love (many of which are from Nintendo).

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Eastern by a country mile, the best Western devs imo were Blizzard, Valve & Rare, this trio has seen better days to put it nicely.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
How is there not an option for both? I've never once looked at a game and dismissed it because of the region it was from.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I don't care where a game is from if it's good.

I think the whole "bleh western combat" shit is obnoxious. I think the obsession with making Japanese games out to be this advanced specimen in game design just to disparage what western developers do is prevalent on this forum and it's old af.

OP
OP
GamerDude

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is there not an option for both? I've never once looked at a game and dismissed it because of the region it was from.

Just read the thread. Your question has been addressed multiple times.

Also who said you would dismiss a game because of where it was from? The question is which region has produced MORE games that you have enjoyed. Both is not an option to a MORE question. If the answer for you truly is 50/50 then I guess just don't vote?

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I don't care where a game is from if it's good.

I think the whole "bleh western combat" shit is obnoxious. I think the obsession with making Japanese games out to be this advanced specimen in game design just to disparage what western developers do is prevalent on this forum and it's old af.

There are multiple faulty points with people who claim that. First, they seem to only count sword fighting games on that. Thats the extent of combat. As if east has ever made something even resembling Quake or Unreal Tournament or Counter Strike or Tribes.

Second, they utterly dismiss PC as a platform, since this forum is basically a sony/nintendo fansite. Saying east does "gameplay" better but only looking at consolised cinematic 3rd person games and not look at games like immersive sims since Ultima Underworld or Ultima 7 and the choice and consequence system in Fallout 1 and 2, and the depths of games like System Shock, Thief or Deus Ex 1. Not even talking about the various simulations on pc from the 90's.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
There are multiple faulty points with people who claim that. First, they seem to only count sword fighting games on that. Thats the extent of combat. As if east has ever made something even resembling Quake or Unreal Tournament or Counter Strike or Tribes.

Second, they utterly dismiss PC as a platform, since this forum is basically a sony/nintendo fansite. Saying east does "gameplay" better but only looking at consolised cinematic 3rd person games and not look at games like immersive sims since Ultima Underworld or Ultima 7 and the choice and consequence system in Fallout 1 and 2, and the depths of games like System Shock, Thief or Deus Ex 1. Not even talking about the various simulations on pc from the 90's.
PC gets dismissed because it's obnoxious