• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Combo

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Rc6ab8435ac374045a778af47aa9e92ee
How do we judge him when he had no power?

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Plato lived 80 years and Aristotle 62.
Plato and Aristotle were rich.

Not to be pedantic but that is a common misconception, the average life span was low because it was the average. Most people didnt make it past childbirth which lowers the average dramatically, but those that did could have long lives. Not to 100 but easily 70 or 80.
Even for post-childhood, living to 70 or 80 in ancient Greece and Rome was probably very uncommon. Perfect data doesn't really exist, but most estimates seem to indicate that the typical person was doing reasonably well if they made it past 50.

(Not that this has much to do with living long enough to develop morals.)

Oct 28, 2017
Our morals on our ancestors, then no. The same applies to all of us alive today when we're viewed the same way by our descendants in the future.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
But the same book says 'Thou shall not steal' and 'Thou shall not murder'. There was obviously an understanding of morality among the people.

There have to be some thinkers who were much more enlightened than what is stated in my OP. Maybe we just don't know about them?

To think that only 70 years ago nations tried to bomb each other into oblivion.

The same book also tells you a variety of shit that was just the whims of the day. It even contradicts its own rules and beliefs.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Plato and Aristotle were rich.

Even for post-childhood, living to 70 or 80 in ancient Greece and Rome was probably very uncommon. Perfect data doesn't really exist, but most estimates seem to indicate that the typical person was doing reasonably well if they made it past 50.

(Not that this has much to do with living long enough to develop morals.)

Yeah I edited it after realising I was mixing it up with much later.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
So? Did you bother reading the post I was quoting?
Yes. It seemed to be making a broad argument about a society at large, so I thought that countering it by pointing to people who were the exception rather than the norm was a weak stance to take, rather than going right after the false premise about lifespans and the ridiculous notion that morals are some kind of complicated intellectual pursuit that takes several decades to even begin to formulate.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Epicurus is popular as role model even today, and its influence was evident from Marxism to Utilitarianism

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Not according to Diogenes.
"He used to stroll about in full daylight with a lamp; when asked what he was doing, he would answer, "I am looking for a human."
Diogenes looked for a human being but reputedly found nothing but rascals and scoundrels."

EDIT:
"He criticized Plato, disputed his interpretation of Socrates, and sabotaged his lectures, sometimes distracting listeners by bringing food and eating during the discussions." what a prick, haha

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
"He used to stroll about in full daylight with a lamp; when asked what he was doing, he would answer, "I am looking for a human."
Diogenes looked for a human being but reputedly found nothing but rascals and scoundrels."

EDIT:
"He criticized Plato, disputed his interpretation of Socrates, and sabotaged his lectures, sometimes distracting listeners by bringing food and eating during the discussions." what a prick, haha

He was the ultimate troll.

"When Plato gave Socrates's definition of man as "featherless bipeds" and was much praised for the definition, Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man." After this incident, "with broad flat nails" was added to Plato's definition."

or

"While Diogenes was relaxing in the morning sunlight, Alexander, thrilled to meet the famous philosopher, asked if there was any favour he might do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes, stand out of my sunlight." Alexander then declared, "If I were not Alexander, then I should wish to be Diogenes." "If I were not Diogenes, I would also wish to be Diogenes," Diogenes replied."

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The Greeks thought women were basically house furniture and that raping young men was a natural way of life. Can't apply modern thinking to thousands of years ago.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
g

EDIT:

Diogenes perfected the art of trolling before the printing press was even invented.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup average life expectancy being like 30 or 40 for men. Work as child laborer, marry young, make children, die of a stupid infection was the normal life of an average joe. Obviously if you were a merchant class or a higher up, you didnt have to face such harsh realities.
this is a bit of a a misunderstanding. this trended down because child deaths were so high. if you survived to 10 or so you likely were gonna live till 50-60

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Actually, we are trash people by many of our own current standards. And you have given a good example in slave labour. And that is my point. If today we can call our practices and conveniences trash, then perhaps there must have been thinkers in the past who thought similarly, but we never found out about them.

likely because they got their skull beaten in for showing compassion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Historical Jesus was a very good man. Probably had some "cancel-worthy" opinions specially about barren women for some reason, but people killed him before he could become the milkshake duck.

I'm sure Jesus had some dissatisfied customers after some shoddy carpentry work who would beg to differ.

Dec 30, 2020
Live like Diogenes the cynic, get your butt in a barrel, or follow Epicurus and also get your butt in a barrel, but for funsies.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yes for that time period there were good people . I'm sure in a thousand years we're all gonna be seen as terrible people too. You can't really apply modern standards to people living in completely different times

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Morals are unfortunately, despite what a certain document says, not self-evident. While the broadstrokes of what people value can be found - looking after friends, family, valuing honesty, etc - both the particular understandings of those concepts and what drove them could differ considerably - the responsibility towards family means the patriarch will marry off his daughter dammit, be honest because I can't trust you're not a literal backstabber otherwise, etc. And hell, there were disagreements of opinion on particular matters; Herodotus imagines up 'Ethiopians' (no resemblance to the people we call such, long story) and uses them to basically express how imperialism is bad (to rebuke a Persian King, mind). That people did disagree with the status quo is how you get shifts in opinion and ideology, positively and negatively, but they don't always go into the historical record either.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
After watching The Good Place, I read up on Hypatia of Alexandria. She seemed like a very decent person who was, inevitably, brutally murdered by a gang of religious zealots.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Probably not in a moral sense.

But in philosophy yes, there are many persons for whom you can gain wisdom for yourself that relates to the human experience.

Much learning will not teach understanding
- Heraclitus

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit
- Aristotle

An unexamined life is not worth living
- Socrates
Many people can be rolemodels in the sense that you take from them the good and wisdom of their lives, and understand the bad so you do not follow it.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. It seemed to be making a broad argument about a society at large, so I thought that countering it by pointing to people who were the exception rather than the norm was a weak stance to take, rather than going right after the false premise about lifespans and the ridiculous notion that morals are some kind of complicated intellectual pursuit that takes several decades to even begin to formulate.

First, I did address the false premise, so maybe learn to read before unnecessarily quoting me

And second, maybe it was you who countered with a false premise after all

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

The length of life and eugeria in classical Greece - PubMed

Contrary to the commonly held belief that in antiquity and as late as 1700 A.D. normal lifespan was about 35 years, there are indications that the ancient Greeks lived longer. In a study of all men of renown, living in the 5th and 4th century in Greece, we identified 83 whose date of birth and...

Last edited:

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Ancient people were primarily concerned with surviving, since they hadn't gotten the best handle on how one does or does not do that. Anyone who made it to 40 was a pretty good role model for finding out the Secrets of Not Die.

Eventually, enough of those survivors collectively came to the realization that not getting in stabbing contests and having a lot of friends were pretty OP survival strategies, and moral role models were born.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus of Nazareth was a pretty cool guy
I don't know man, the way he wantonly destroyed the property of those law abiding merchants in front of the temple? That's not a good role model. Also, he never considered how turning water into wine might affect the economy, putting thousands of wine yards out of business. Sure, he had good intentions, but he lacks both respect and understanding of sound economic principles.

Now, supply side Jesus, that's a swell dude:
7f6hFvY.jpeg
xRK6G1u.jpeg
G9Bc4rW.jpeg

ZksHTOc.jpeg
Lme6wwy.jpeg
kFn6ify.jpeg

1MhJ0U1.jpeg
DASSRwS.jpeg
rOsBS60.jpeg

zXAerBL.jpeg
De22UfA.jpeg

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
circa 500bc to 00 - your life expectancy was 30, if you were lucky.

People didn't live long enough to develop "morals".

This didnt apply to all societies and specifically where your social status was. Plenty of people lived to be plenty old.

To the thread, you have to remember how much were growing in the last ten years even, and we still see people used as currency in many examples this past century so ... just imagine 1000 years ago, with waaay worse living conditions

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
And second, maybe it was you who countered with a false premise after all

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

The length of life and eugeria in classical Greece - PubMed

Contrary to the commonly held belief that in antiquity and as late as 1700 A.D. normal lifespan was about 35 years, there are indications that the ancient Greeks lived longer. In a study of all men of renown, living in the 5th and 4th century in Greece, we identified 83 whose date of birth and...
That's a study of specific individuals whose lifespans are known to us, which means the data is biased extremely strongly toward the wealthy and powerful. The abstract thoroughly acknowledges this.

In a study of all men of renown
this cohort cannot be considered as representative of the general population

It even suggests the use of slaves for hard labour as a contributing factor to the long recorded lifespans!

It does not tell us much about what the lifespans of typical people were.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, we're going to be considered absolute garbage by a future generation. Every age thinks they have morality figured out, but it's all based on who you are and who you're around.

Too many people see it as a simple, active choice to be "good" or "bad." Realistically, if we were born centuries earlier, the chances that we'd do things we now consider reprehensible are high.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Morals of hundreds or thousands of years ago aren't the same as today. Slavery and war (mass killing) weren't really considered amoral until relatively recently (taking the entirety of human history). Hell, as people pointed out in this thread, probably some future forum-like environment will have this same question about us in a thousand years.

Stuff like changing morals is also why you must take any source that, for example, portrays a figure like Spartacus as someone who wanted to free slaves with a pinch of salt. There's no actual evidence that Spartacus was some sort of radical thinker that came up with abolition thousands of years before it happened.

Oct 28, 2017
I think people from ancient times would be appalled looking at us modern people when seeing what we just did in the 20th century, around 80 years ago...