• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
There are tons of indie games that have released this generation that are in 2D and look amazing. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're asking?
There are plenty of great looking indie games but nothing that matches the pinnacle of pixel art of the time. We're talking about a time when we had publishers dedicating an entire team and budget to pixel art games. Saturn and GBA probably represent the last times we saw publishers investing in "AAA" pixel art games.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow didn't know Gunlord came out on Switch. Gonna pick it up soon. Please market your game better guys!

Shouldn't the NeoGeo be the gold standard for 2D, and not the Saturn?

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I completely disagree with the premise of this thread but I will bring up the upcoming game Bushiden which to me looks a lot like it's going for a 32bit 2D game aesthetic:

0qOBDhK.gif

DqZhB2M.gif

CpMUsLR.gif

9RfQO5n.gif
This game looks great too! Reminds me is Symphony of the night

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
What is the BEST sprite-based 2D platformer or run n' gun right now?

And about the thread, two of my favorite games ever (Dragon's Crown and Cuphead), are 2D games. Dragon's Crown is extremely charming and appealing to me, to the point that if there a game i want to play at least yearly, its definitively Dragon's Crown

Oct 25, 2017
These games look amazing but to be fair, they have been in development for 5+ years to deliver that kind of quality. I feel that the costs of making an HD 2D game has risen way up and that's why 3D is more prevalent.
Iconoclasts was mainly done by 1 guy, I think and Owlboy got in dev hell (also had mainly 2 or 3 devs?). Neither are examples the cost of HD 2D. Now, KoF XII and XIII on the other hand...

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
The nostalgia goggles OP is wearing are some next level shit.
It's funny looking at the near mythical status the console has developed with a lot of people after being laughed at back in the 90's for owning a Saturn instead of a PSone.

Ergo Goon

Oct 25, 2017

I had no idea that this game came out already. Instantly bought and have to say that it looks and plays amazingly. I feel that it's a definite shame that it's gone so under the radar.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny looking at the near mythical status the console has developed with a lot of people after being laughed at back in the 90's for owning a Saturn instead of a PSone.

Nobody laughed at me for having a Saturn cause the games are still awesome and it has great multiplayer games.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I went PS1 that generation as my first console ever....big mistake not picking this one up as well. :((Too many good games we will most likely never see the light of day on modern platforms. We were all fooled lol

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we had a great 2D indie game thread after the MN9 debacle at the place which shall not be named. there was this one particular indie shmup, that looked absolute incredible! I don't remember the name, unfortunately.

there's plenty to choose from these days, I bought Battle Chef Brigade when I saw it at GDQ. which is a 2D hack'n slash-puyopuyo-cooking simulator:

Battle-Chef-Brigade-Mina-Owl-Skyland-Hunting.gif

(they talk too much, though)

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
That second game looks amazing animation wise. Also like the look of the 3rd one. Hope this thread will turn into a good recommendations thread for new games.
JQWebRr.gif

Valfaris

HFF6eVu.gif

Hoa

gDkhbwp.gif

Scrap Story

Last one is not something the Saturn could do of course, but it reminded me of Bug when I first saw it (and Paper Mario I guess).

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I went PS1 that generation as my first console ever....big mistake not picking this one up as well. :((Too many good games we will most likely never see the light of day on modern platforms. We were all fooled lol

The ideal solution was really to own both. When the Saturn stopped getting games I grabbed a used PSone, not owning one meant missing out on the likes of Resident Evil 2&3, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and Tactics, Gran Turismo, Xenogears, Wipeout 2097, Silent Hill, Tekken 3, Castlevania SotN, etc.
I was a Sega fanboy coming from the 16 bit era but imo if you could only own one of them I'd honestly recommend the PSone. If you were a gamer back then you really wouldn't want to miss out on games that literally changed the industry like FF7 or MGS.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Vectorized graphics will always look less appealing to me compared to real sprite work. It's obviously just an opinion, I don't skip games that use vector art styles but they are less appealing to me.

Sonic Mania looks gorgeous to me. But the new Streets of Rage has a very cheap look to it.
The problems are exacerbated when classic 2d games are remastered in this style, a perfect example is Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix or the newest Pang game.

That's just console wars bullshit. Nobody would have laughed at the Saturn in 97 if they were to witness some of its finest titles.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what's so special about the games listed in the OP.

Oct 25, 2017
dark devotion vs death's gambit

which should I pick up
The former is a roguelike, the latter is not. DG is also getting a DLC (that will be free to current owners, at least) that heavily revamps the game in a not so distant future, and I would advise wait for it to play the game. It's pretty rough atm, though not unplayable, bugged or anything.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Vectorized graphics will always look less appealing to me compared to real sprite work. It's obviously just an opinion, I don't skip games that use vector art styles but they are less appealing to me.

Sonic Mania looks gorgeous to me. But the new Streets of Rage has a very cheap look to it.
The problems are exacerbated when classic 2d games are remastered in this style, a perfect example is Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix or the newest Pang game.

That's just console wars bullshit. Nobody would have laughed at the Saturn in 97 if they were to witness some of its finest titles.

PlayStation was the cool console, anyone old enough to remember those times knows that.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
The ideal solution was really to own both. When the Saturn stopped getting games I grabbed a used PSone, not owning one meant missing out on the likes of Resident Evil 2&3, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and Tactics, Gran Turismo, Xenogears, Wipeout 2097, Silent Hill, Tekken 3, Castlevania SotN, etc.
I was a Sega fanboy coming from the 16 bit era but imo if you could only own one of them I'd honestly recommend the PSone. If you were a gamer back then you really wouldn't want to miss out on games that literally changed the industry like FF7 or MGS.
Yeah I was fortunate enough to have access to both. I generally preferred the Saturn's titles at the time it was still going but was grateful to have a PS1 as it really came into it's own in later years.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
That's mostly because some of the best and most impressive games never left Japan and we were stuck with just the 3D games for the most part.

Oct 29, 2017

Is Hollow Knight vectorized? looks like rasterized art in each frame like Skullgirls/traditional animation to me, since one can see some imperfections and weight in the strokes of the outlines, etc. I think I remember reading that the sprites were .PNG.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I completely disagree with the premise of this thread but I will bring up the upcoming game Bushiden which to me looks a lot like it's going for a 32bit 2D game aesthetic:

0qOBDhK.gif

DqZhB2M.gif

CpMUsLR.gif

9RfQO5n.gif

Thanks for the mention! I saw this thread yesterday and was tempted to post about Bushiden, but didn't want to get into any "self-promotion" issues with the mods.

And yes, we are definitely trying to push 2D, pixel art with Bushiden!

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
There are tons of indie games that have released this generation that are in 2D and look amazing. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're asking?
Timespinner looks like it could have come straight out of that era

I had no idea that this game came out already. Instantly bought and have to say that it looks and plays amazingly. I feel that it's a definite shame that it's gone so under the radar.

Bought it day one loved it saw the art and said i need this

Last edited:
OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Thanks for the mention! I saw this thread yesterday and was tempted to post about Bushiden, but didn't want to get into any "self-promotion" issues with the mods.

And yes, we are definitely trying to push 2D, pixel art with Bushiden!
Your game looks great and is exactly what I'm looking for! Hope to find more of that ilk that covers that era of gaming.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any Dreamcast games that use this effect to the full extent of the hardware?
Or did you already post those eariler...?

Yes, lots of games, too many to list individually, it is a major feature of the dreamcast. But off the top of my head, sonic adventure uses it extensively, which is why the gcn and pc ports look so incredibly off. For several years sonicfreak94, author of the sonic adventure pc restoration mod, has been trying to figure out a way to put it back into the pc version with no avail. We have brainstormed together ways to emulate order independent transparency, and the only solutions we can come with involve doing everything in software which would be insanely slow. Its basically an impossible effect to achieve anywhere else but the dreamcast.

Sonic adventure also uses the dreamcast's hardware vector quantization unit in a very weird way, as an entry of 1024 palette definitions, to create a 2-stage lighting system (diffuse + specular) that is similarly pretty impossible to port correctly to other hardware. That vq can be applied to 2D art to basically turn the dreamcast's 8 MB of vram into what feels like 32 MB of vram.

The dreamcast is fun, exotic, and well-punching hardware.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Some lesser known titles ?

apparently this interactive story anime game is all done with 2D sprites including the intro

Astra Superstars
oJqAGzJ.gif