• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The start of Waypoints 258 is incredible.

The only thing better than a bit is someone destroying the bit.

Also the XFL is ridiculously horny.
The FE x Eva alliance is not as strong as I would have thought.
486.jpg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Whoops wrong thread

Lol playing persona q2 now which Fe stole me from

Wait this was the right thread. Danielle wat r u doing

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Patrick's existential bafflement at Ancestors makes me want to play it. That kind of totally esoteric sandbox is very appealing to me.

Terra

May 15, 2019
The whole time Patrick was talking about Ancestors i was like "This game sounds like the most Anti-Patrick thing i've ever heard" I'd have been very interested to see where Austin or Rob's take on the whole thing would have ended up.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Danielle is killing me with not understanding the rules of the XFL guessing game.
Oh right, I forgot to come in here and rant on that.

Suffice it to say, her completely misunderstanding the game is the funniest thing on Waypoint in a long while, aside from making a lot of Eva fans angry at them.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I think if Patrick hadn't been so scandalised that Danielle was missing the point so badly, I would actually legit have been annoyed. But as it was I was crying with laughter, so it was fine

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, I forgot to come in here and rant on that.

Suffice it to say, her completely misunderstanding the game is the funniest thing on Waypoint in a long while, aside from making a lot of Eva fans angry at them.
I don't really pay attention to how fanbases react but what upset them? Is it just a bunch of animu incel nerds being upset a woman had an opinion about their precious anime?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really pay attention to how fanbases react but what upset them? Is it just a bunch of animu incel nerds being upset a woman had an opinion about their precious anime?
No, the Waypoint crew just largely turned on it in the back third and people who grew up with it just didn't like their opinion. Nothing really specific that's worth getting into beyond "they weren't fair to it" I guess.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I finished the Black Eagle run of Fire Emblem this weekend. With how Rob was skeptical of the church and theorizing which faction would be the most open to revolutionary change, Black Eagles sounds like it was made for him. Though he did say he was intentionally going against type, so it will be interesting where he lands with Blue Lions, which I'm starting up now.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are two different Black Eagles runs tho...

I saved before the Big Choice to check out both. One path is so obviously more just than the other, I'm curious what the other looks like in the end game.

Oct 27, 2017
There are two different Black Eagles runs tho...

I saved before the Big Choice to check out both. One path is so obviously more just than the other, I'm curious what the other looks like in the end game.
Mmmhmm, I got a hint that there might be an alt route when doing the Golden Deers run. Currently on NG+ with Black Eagles with the intention of going through that route

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Same old predictable reactions to a Waypoint review

Stick to your intelligent hipster games like *checks notes* Fire Emblem.
Damn intellectuals ruining video games with their brains and thinking.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to AC. After kinda falling off FETH, a fast-paced action game seems like a nice refresher. Austin's negative opinion surprised and worried me a bit since I tend to agree with a lot of his takes, but I really like everything else I've heard of it so I'm sure it'll be fine.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know why Austin led with Nier Automata because thats not what the review is about at all (in fact its only mentioned once after the header). Maybe the clicks?

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know why Austin led with Nier Automata because thats not what the review is about at all (in fact its only mentioned once after the header). Maybe the clicks?

Headlines be like that. FWIW, they're similarly long, upgrade-focused character action games, so I stand by the statement, but yeah, now that these go out on VICE's social networks and not just our own, we need to swing a way bigger net with article packaging.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
Headlines be like that. FWIW, they're similarly long, upgrade-focused character action games, so I stand by the statement, but yeah, now that these go out on VICE's social networks and not just our own, we need to swing a way bigger net with article packaging.

sure but its such an outlier compared to the rest of their games, Astral Chain looks way more in line with MGR and Transformers

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why I bother reading beyond an OP in a review thread.

Regardless, Austin's review has me a little bit worried about the game with him touching on the lack of challenge and no encouragement to experiment in the combat. I was hoping that his feeling on that might improve from the podcast the other day so it's a shame to hear that it didn't.

I'll still pick it up since I'm a sucker for a character action game but I'm going into it pretty wary.

At least Rob's Control review makes that game sound like a joy.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I think I'm still going to grab it because of the overwhelming positivity from other reviewers, but I guess if I don't like it I shouldn't complain because Austin tried to warn me :P at least it doesn't seem to be super long so I should be able to power through it if it really turns out to not be my thing. Also grabbing physical so I can sell it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Review thread nonsense aside...

Yeah, it's a little worrying but I thiiiink my tolerance for tedium will at least help with the pacing issues? Everything else, we'll see. I don't need much challenge but sticking with one early weapon/setup, and more importantly it not being clearly worth switching to others, often feels bad for me in this kind of game because I don't like not having clear feedback on the differences between things. Hmm.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if I have it in me to get Astral Chain since I still have to play through Three Houses a second time lol. I was curious about it but Austin's impressions made me less interested.

Oct 25, 2017
Did the crew ever explicitly say they aren't doing review interviews/read throughs anymore? I really dug those. It was cool to give the writers some room to air the review in full and explicitly dig in to points made there (versus the more casual usual podcast).

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Austin's Astral Chain review reminded me of Roger Ebert's review of Zoolander.

I agree with Roger Ebert in his review, but I am not sure if I will shell out the $60 to see if I agree with Austin.

Honestly, I got Spiderman PS4 on sale, and Astral Change seems to hit more of those notes than a Bayonetta, so I'll probably just play through that first, and see if I can get more Resetera impressions first.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum games are multiple passthrough games and Austin isn't the man I turn to for combat analysis necessarily. I'm still confident. (I also should have review code last week but that's neither here nor there)

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Did the crew ever explicitly say they aren't doing review interviews/read throughs anymore? I really dug those. It was cool to give the writers some room to air the review in full and explicitly dig in to points made there (versus the more casual usual podcast).
I was thinking about those discussions while reading the Control/Astral Chain reviews. I would usually skip the article read but I always really enjoyed the discussion that would follow after. It's a real shame that they were dropped as they were a nice twist on the traditional review format.

I'd always just assumed they stated they were dropping them during a regular podcsst that I missed.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I was thinking about those discussions while reading the Control/Astral Chain reviews. I would usually skip the article read but I always really enjoyed the discussion that would follow after. It's a real shame that they were dropped as they were a nice twist on the traditional review format.

I'd always just assumed they stated they were dropping them during a regular podcsst that I missed.

My assumption was that in the reorganization they paired everything down to the podcast formats that were getting them the most listeners. Two podcasts a week that deal with general gaming news + games they've been playing, and one for Waypoints that can be a bit more fluid when addressing larger cultural stuff (like using it for the Eva pods) is a focused and consistent schedule. And it seems like that was the intended push from the higher ups at Vice. So rather than have a full podcast devoted to one review which can lose listeners who aren't interested in the game, you fold that into the larger games conversation on Monday or Friday.

But yeah, the review pods were good listens and I miss them too.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i really like the idea of following-up on written content. So often written stuff can feel like it's a monolith set in stone, but having someone (a peer) interrogating a review in a rapid-fire back and forth is something you didn't see very often.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
i really like the idea of following-up on written content. So often written stuff can feel like it's a monolith set in stone, but having someone (a peer) interrogating a review in a rapid-fire back and forth is something you didn't see very often.
Gonna echo this. "Interrogating" is a good way to put it. It really helps bring you deeper into why exactly someone felt a certain way about a game when they have to explain their position in a back-and-forth.