• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was Cuphead as hard as a FromSoftware game for those of you who played it?

• Yes

Votes: 840 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 485 36.6%

• Total voters

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I would say cup head is harder mechanically, but also more forgiving of failure.

The DLC has actually given me the will to finish cuphead game, because Ms. Chalice eases up on the demand for mechanical perfection.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
much harder, I don't think FromSoft games are (usually) THAT bad but they have a very specific way to approach them which can come across as absurd difficulty until you adjust to what they want. That said they still all do have their moments of insane challenge, but Cuphead on the whole is harder than any From game imo

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
But what if that boss is a total joke on Normal or Easy?

This should be factored in to any conversation. Like, "Uncharted 2 on Crushing is more difficult than Dark Souls" similar to how "Uncharted 2 on Crushing is more difficult than Uncharted 2 on Normal". It sets up a framework for the challenges. There are some people that define a game's difficulty based on the holistic package (like, I know some people that think that if a game has cheat codes or easy exploits, those games are "easy" because, "if it's in the game, it's part of the game"), so any game with an easy mode is as easy/hard as its easiest mode...which to me is sort of a cop out.

That said, I know I can get caught up in that trap in a different way - for instance, I play Souls games pure melee, no magic/no co-op/no resins, because I think they are the most fun played that way. Sure, I COULD toss dung pies over the fog gate to kill the boss, but I don't feel like I'm even playing a game at that point. But others find that to be part of the "puzzle" aspect of the game, and that factors in to them. Some people like to find the most broken spell, dump 40 points into INT and two-shot bosses. More power to them, but I personally don't really factor that into my analysis of how difficult the souls games are because it sort of feels adjunct to the core design of the game.

But it's not really. Which is why I can get it when someone says Dark Souls is objectively easier, since there are numerous (often time consuming, but still existent) solutions that can trivialize a lot of the encounters.

But this kinda gets back to determining how "hard" something is getting to be wonky because the framework shifts so much.

Hard things, for the most part, can be overcome by time. "How much time" can be a wonky metric too though, as person A could practice poorly while person B could practice effectively and determining "dexterity skill" orthogonally from "experience" and "intelligence" is a fool's errand. They all intertwine to coalesce into how tough something is.

Like, I read multiple places that Dark Souls 3 was harder than DS1 and DS2 (some even said that it was harder than both combined) and now that I've played up to the last boss blind and did about half of the DLC areas....i don't know. I beat every base DS3 boss on my first or second try except Aldia (who I got down to 1 hit but got greedy, then took 5 more tries to get to that point again) and Lorian. I can't actually tell if the game is easier than DS1/2 or if I've just played too many hundreds of hours of Souls-like games and just know what I'm doing and have all the muscle memory built up. The DLC definitely FEELS more like the experience I had playing DS1/2 (i think it took me 20+ tries to beat Friede. but the first 10-12 were at level 62 with a +7 weapon, so I eventually realized i was underleveled...i did beat the first two forms that way though).

So is Dark Souls 3 easier or harder than DS1/2 for me? Objectively, it's been easier (for me)...but I would say it's probably a harder game overall...maybe?

But to whom? Someone who knows what they are doing or some random person? What about that person's motor skills or real-time problem solving ability? What about their experience with a controller? What about their experience with 2D games vs. 3D games? What about their patience level? What about their ability to reduce their "mental stack" (which tends to be the biggest factor I've found with people who are "good" at Cuphead)?

Which is why judging "what is harder" in an objective sense is...non-viable.

Even the "you have more room for error" in Souls games is a non-sequitur. What's considered an error? Taking a hit? Being in a non-viable position? Putting yourself in a position that will put you in a position on the NEXT attack that is non-viable or causes a hit? What about not directing/baiting enemy/boss attacks purposely to put you in a better position? Is anything less than optimal considered a mistake? If not, how far down the list do we go to make that binary judgement?

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I think people ignore the stats/playing your build 'correctly' stuff in Souls games

I'm not sure I'll ever beat Elden Ring because I just can't bother with getting to understand the stats and weaknesses of enemies, because I fint that part HARD and confusin. I asked a friend for help once and he said a boss was weak to bleed and that there was a weapon with bleed in a place here…. I was like how the fuck would I know that?

I think for people who enjoy looking at guides and reading about stats and strats or whatever or doing weird math with lots of unknown because of obscured stats may perceive Souls games as 'easier' or whatever

Everyones tip was always also use this summon or this and I was like…. its a huge game i havent explored everywhere And dont have all the stuff lol

Or 'level up',,,, which takes fucking hours lol

So for me I perceive Cuphead to be easier because I find it to me more opaque and direct. I know what I should be working on. In Elden Ring there are just too many things tbh

and even then I find the animation delays /3d camera and movesets in ER to be more confusing

Sekiro and Cuphead are much easier to me

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I think people ignore the stats/playing your build 'correctly' stuff in Souls games

I'm not sure I'll ever beat Elden Ring because I just can't bother with getting to understand the stats and weaknesses of enemies. I asked a friend for help once and he said a boss was weak to bleed and that there was a weapon with bleed in a place here…. I was like how the fuck would I know that?

I think for people who enjoy looking at guides and reading about stats and strats or whatever or doing weird math with lots of unknown because of obscured stats may perceive Souls games as 'easier' or whatever

Everyones tip was always also use this summon or this and I was like…. its a huge game i havent explored everywhere And dont have all the stuff lol

So for me I perceive Cuphead to be easier because I find it to me more opaque and direct. I know what I should be working on. In Elden Ring there are just too many things tbh

and even then I find the animation delays /3d camera and movesets in ER to be more confusing

You kinda don't need the stats and correct builds tbh, I beat every Souls with starting gear always, my first playthroughs and later ones too, and never felt the stats and builds to be that important, Elden Ring is probably the first exception because the bosses there are bonkers but even then besides Malenia you can kinda ignore all that for 90% of the game and never even think about it.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Joining in the chorus of Cuphead definitely being harder for me. I feel like I can get away with more silly mistakes with From's games, and I've always feel that a lot of 2D games require extra precision than 3D games. Fabulous game, though.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From's games have magic, which breaks their games. Anything Cuphead gives you provides far fewer options to start a boss fight and maul what you're dealing with. Always have to build meter to the big blasty moves.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure I'll ever beat Elden Ring because I just can't bother with getting to understand the stats and weaknesses of enemies, because I fint that part HARD and confusin. I asked a friend for help once and he said a boss was weak to bleed and that there was a weapon with bleed in a place here…. I was like how the fuck would I know that?

I agree with every single word of this post. Too many people in here are discounting that being able to decipher how to make certain bosses/areas more manageable in Souls games is a skill in and of itself. Like, I refuse to grind in any game. Period. My adult life doesn't have time for that in games, nor do I enjoy it.

So with that taken out of the equation, I'm left with knowing how to best counter bosses with certain builds. But I just don't have the patience to do all of that configuration. That's why games like Sekiro and Cuphead are much more manageable and less frustrating to me in comparison to Soulsborne.

While managing gear/stats in Souls/Elden Ring might come naturally to some players and make those games feel considerably easier than they do to me, so it goes with the task of simply dodging projectiles on a 2D plane for me in games like Cuphead.

Honestly, that's where 99% of the challenge comes from in Souls games for me. That and the combination of awkward i-frame dodge rolling, stamina systems, and extreme animation priority. Sekiro and Bloodborne were much more enjoyable and easier to me than Souls/ER because of their more streamlined design and snappier combat.

Oct 31, 2017
inspired by this discussion I just went back to spend few hours on Cuphead.
I downloaded the game on my Steam Deck and gave it a genuine try from my bed. That finished just minutes ago in a lot of frustration.

I managed to beat two bosses of the third island on the simple mode and gave up on beating them on normal after, dunno, twenty tries on each or more? Honeycomb something and Doctor Robot, for the record.

I went in with the idea "Maybe I'm misremembering things, maybe the game is WAY more forgiving that I'm giving it credit for".
Nope. It was every bit a miserable experience as I remembered it.
Well, for me because I'M JUST BAD, I'm sure.

And let me call bollocks on that "it's just pattern recognition " because your "recognition of the pattern" is constantly challenged by AOE spreads, chasing bullets, tracking abilities, etc.
It's not just a game demanding in terms of reflexes, spatial awareness and precision of execution. It's VERY demanding in all of them.

That said, I'm willing to blame myself only to a certain extent, because I remember seeing friends struggling with it even more than me so I may be impaired in terms of skill, but I know I'm not alone.
And frankly I'm INCREDIBLY skeptic of that stat about bosses taking 8-15 try ON AVERAGE. Unless that includes just the performance of people who were good enough to complete the game.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
From Software games, Sekiro aside, just require patience. Cuphead requires skill. Sekiro is pretty damn hard though. And a lot more complicated than Cuphead.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Cuphead's harder by a mile. My death count in that game dwarfs the amount I've racked up in most Souls games, only Sekiro comes close. Thankfully retries come QUICK so I never get frustrated. Fantastic experience

Souls is no joke either though. There are lots of ways to make those games more manageable, but many of them are obtuse or unclear for new players. You need to learn the Souls "language" in a way that you don't for Cuphead, and that's where I find the majority of the difficulty in FROM titles comes from.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I blazed through DLC bosses. Margit, the twin princes, Lady Butterfly and Capra Demon to name a few had me stuck for hours. I've never been stuck for hours on any Cuphead boss. Besides the Robot, once I get to phase 2 in Cuphead, I'm usually good.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I blazed through DLC bosses. Margit, the twin princes, Lady Butterfly and Capra Demon to name a few had me stuck for hours. I've never been stuck for hours on any Cuphead boss. Besides the Robot, once I get to phase 2 in Cuphead, I'm usually good.

Yep. I've had more success doing perfect runs here than I have in any of the souls games. Doing a no hit run feels possible, in Elden Ring I've yet to do that. If anything, I'm left thinking I cannot do it in those games.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I downloaded the game on my Steam Deck and gave it a genuine try from my bed. That finished just minutes ago in a lot of frustration.

I managed to beat two bosses of the third island on the simple mode and gave up on beating them on normal after, dunno, twenty tries on each or more? Honeycomb something and Doctor Robot, for the record.

Robot and Queen Bee are often considered (along with the Dragon and King Dice) to be of the hardest bosses in the game. So that's sort of jumping in to fight Orenstein & Smough and Kalameet off the hop (or after some time off). Yeah, it's going to be pretty rough.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Even the "you have more room for error" in Souls games is a non-sequitur. What's considered an error? Taking a hit? Being in a non-viable position? Putting yourself in a position that will put you in a position on the NEXT attack that is non-viable or causes a hit? What about not directing/baiting enemy/boss attacks purposely to put you in a better position? Is anything less than optimal considered a mistake? If not, how far down the list do we go to make that binary judgement?
C'mon now, we obviously mean "taking a hit" here. But even if we mean "not playing optimally", Souls are still more forgiving lol

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
cuphead's art style and by extension, old rubberhose animation that cuphead homages scares the hell out of me so i couldn't play it

it's an irrational fear but something about rubberhose terrifies me. Oddly enough, black and white rubberhose animation is fine

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
cuphead's art style and by extension, old rubberhose animation that cuphead homages scares the hell out of me so i couldn't play it

it's an irrational fear but something about rubberhose terrifies me. Oddly enough, black and white rubberhose animation is fine
I died more times than I like to admit due to admiring the animations in Cuphead. The art work is incredible.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Not hard as in the game being so obscure with instructions and how/what to do. That's part of the difficulty of a From Software game, the introduction to your 1st Soulsbourne experience isn't handholding you too much. Cuphead is very clear with what it is trying to portray and unless you are Dean Takahashi, you should be pretty good as far as figuring the game out from the get go.
I had to hit YouTube to check out what this Dean T. reference was all about as I wasn't familiar. OMG.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I've put 100+ in elden ring and I find cuphead more frustrating.

But that is only because there is limited content so it's a lot of repeating levels instead of being able to go off and just do something else

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not good optimizing my build either, I'm certain I could be doing more damage than I am at any point in the game but I'm the type who prefers to just keep going with a broken build rather than grind to fix it. I also found Sekiro easier than the others once it clicked and I think that is a major reason why.

However I still think even with my bad builds they are easier than Cuphead with the exception of Elden Ring on certain bosses if you reach them too early. Reading through this thread I've come to think what I really struggle with is spacial awareness combined with needing to multi task and Cuphead taxes that more. There are things that can damage me flying from many directions and I need to be dodging them, timing jumps and fitting in aiming a shot at the boss at the same time. I get overwhelmed. I'm bad at tracking everything happening on a busy screen as soon as I divert attention to how to get a hit in a stray bullet may get me from behind or I mess up the landing of a jump.

A lot of Souls bosses I just need to keep them in view of the camera and they'll telegraph an attack aimed towards me and then I'll make a decision on what to do about it, often it's a bad decision but I find it easier to trial and error into finding a better response and I may have 10+ healing items by then to give me room for that. But yes because of spacial awareness issues some of the worst Souls bosses for me are the ones with environment hazards in the room as I absolutely will lose track of where I'm standing and stumble into a pit because my vision is 100% focused on what the boss is doing.

Basically the more I can go into full tunnel vision the better I handle things. More melee based games tend allow for that more often. Looking at other genres, words cannot express how bad I am at first or third person shooters because of this I just get away with it more as most are tuned into letting people stumble through with a hail of bullets in them.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I'm not good optimizing my build either, I'm certain I could be doing more damage than I am at any point in the game but I'm the type who prefers to just keep going with a broken build rather than grind to fix it. I also found Sekiro easier than the others once it clicked and I think that is a major reason why.

However I still think even with my bad builds they are easier than Cuphead with the exception of Elden Ring on certain bosses if you reach them too early. Reading through this thread I've come to think what I really struggle with is spacial awareness combined with needing to multi task and Cuphead taxes that more. There are things that can damage me flying from many directions and I need to be dodging them, timing jumps and fitting in aiming a shot at the boss at the same time. I get overwhelmed. I'm bad at tracking everything happening on a busy screen as soon as I divert attention to how to get a hit in a stray bullet may get me from behind or I mess up the landing of a jump.

A lot of Souls bosses I just need to keep them in view of the camera and they'll telegraph an attack aimed towards me and then I'll make a decision on what to do about it, often it's a bad decision but I find it easier to trial and error into finding a better response and I may have 10+ healing items by then to give me room for that. But yes because of spacial awareness issues some of the worst Souls bosses for me are the ones with environment hazards in the room as I absolutely will lose track of where I'm standing and stumble into a pit because my vision is 100% focused on what the boss is doing.

Basically the more I can go into full tunnel vision the better I handle things. More melee based games tend allow for that more often. Looking at other genres, words cannot express how bad I am at first or third person shooters because of this I just get away with it more as most are tuned into letting people stumble through with a hail of bullets in them.
Yeah that's my main issue, S ranks for me are impossible in Cuphead because I not only don't have the spatial awareness required to do perfect runs I also don't have the reflexes to multi-task all of it at once

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019

I agree with every single word of this post. Too many people in here are discounting that being able to decipher how to make certain bosses/areas more manageable in Souls games is a skill in and of itself. Like, I refuse to grind in any game. Period. My adult life doesn't have time for that in games, nor do I enjoy it.

So with that taken out of the equation, I'm left with knowing how to best counter bosses with certain builds. But I just don't have the patience to do all of that configuration. That's why games like Sekiro and Cuphead are much more manageable and less frustrating to me in comparison to Soulsborne.

While managing gear/stats in Souls/Elden Ring might come naturally to some players and make those games feel considerably easier than they do to me, so it goes with the task of simply dodging projectiles on a 2D plane for me in games like Cuphead.

Honestly, that's where 99% of the challenge comes from in Souls games for me. That and the combination of awkward i-frame dodge rolling, stamina systems, and extreme animation priority. Sekiro and Bloodborne were much more enjoyable and easier to me than Souls/ER because of their more streamlined design and snappier combat.

I am very boring so I have always played through the souls games with basics sword and shield, no summons, no magic, no ranged and I tend just level Strength, Vigor and Endurance equally. I have been able to play through all the games without using a guide to look up boss weaknesses. The superbosses can be too hard and I sometimes skip them, but otherwise it's fine.

I am not particularly great or anything. You can definetly get through the games without needing to look at guides or allocate stats in optimal ways.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Poll results surprise me honestly. Cuphead was tough but when you lost, you could just restart the boss. I've always found From's games more punishing which always pushed me away.
The run back to the boss in From games is just tedious and consuming time, it's not hard, in fact most players will just by pass everyone in the path, which makes the run a lot easier, faster and a futile game design.

Oct 31, 2017
The run back to the boss in From games is just tedious and consuming time
It's also for the most part a thing of the past, but somehow this keeps being overlooked.

Not to mention not something that you have to actually do so often.

That's probably because it's not THAT relevant to begin with.
Sure, there are overpowered combos, but you don't need to optimize to any particular degree and minmax to make your average playthrough more forgiving than Cuphead.
As a rule of the thumb if you put some point in Vitality and keep whatever weapon of choice upgraded you have all you'll need to have a "viable" build.

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I always found cuphead fairly deterministic. It's not easy but everything is very, very heavily pattern based that as long as you pay a bit of attention it's not that bad. It's designed a lot more fairly than the average 8 bit game that it's kinda similar to as well. The pattern based nature in some ways was what is most frustrating as it, because as you get further into a fight I found I wished I could just skip early phases.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

And let me call bollocks on that "it's just pattern recognition " because your "recognition of the pattern" is constantly challenged by AOE spreads, chasing bullets, tracking abilities, etc.

It's not just a game demanding in terms of reflexes, spatial awareness and precision of execution. It's VERY demanding in all of them.
In arcade games like Metal Slug, you're constantly being bombarded with bullshit. Multiple projectile types on screen (Some cast by the boss directly, some that just appear), unique terrain elements that you have to navigate around, the location of you and the boss, any extra enemies creeping in from off-screen, miscellaneous telegraphs that may or may not be tied directly to the boss. It's a lot to deal with.

So the only thing you can do is learn to parse what information is and isn't important from moment to moment.

4FY18iL.png

Like in this busy shot, we have the rising honey at the bottom of the screen, the boss in the center of the frame, Cuphead, the platforms that Cuphead has to jump to, and three Bullet (Buzzet?) Bills who are traveling towards the far side of the screen, doing a tight 180 degree turn, traveling to the center of the screen, turning, and repeating.

In this scenario, the boss' location doesn't matter. She's not moving and she's going to be repeating this attack for a bit. The bullets on the right don't matter, they're going to stay on the right side of the screen. The honey doesn't matter, it's just context for why you're climbing up. And for that matter, Cuphead's exact location isn't very important either other than knowing he's on the center-left side of the screen. The only thing that matters in this moment is the location of the left bullet bill, the path that you know it's taking, and the platforms immediately around Cuphead to get out of that single bullet's path.

/so jump up, wait a tick, and jump back down through the platform.

Once you start learning how to read the screen for threats and non-important entities, and learn how to move and evade around bullet fire without ever looking at Cuphead direclty like you're playing a 2D bullet-hell shooter with gravity, all that chaos becomes very manageable.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
In arcade games like Metal Slug, you're constantly being bombarded with bullshit. Multiple projectile types on screen (Some cast by the boss directly, some that just appear), unique terrain elements that you have to navigate around, the location of you and the boss, any extra enemies creeping in from off-screen, miscellaneous telegraphs that may or may not be tied directly to the boss. It's a lot to deal with.

So the only thing you can do is learn to parse what information is and isn't important from moment to moment.

4FY18iL.png

Like in this busy shot, we have the rising honey at the bottom of the screen, the boss in the center of the frame, Cuphead, the platforms that Cuphead has to jump to, and three Bullet (Buzzet?) Bills who are traveling towards the far side of the screen, doing a tight 180 degree turn, traveling to the center of the screen, turning, and repeating.

In this scenario, the boss' location doesn't matter. She's not moving and she's going to be repeating this attack for a bit. The bullets on the right don't matter, they're going to stay on the right side of the screen. The honey doesn't matter, it's just context for why you're climbing up. And for that matter, Cuphead's exact location isn't very important either other than knowing he's on the center-left side of the screen. The only thing that matters in this moment is the location of the left bullet bill, the path that you know it's taking, and the platforms immediately around Cuphead to get out of that single bullet's path.

/so jump up, wait a tick, and jump back down through the platform.

Once you start learning how to read the screen for threats and non-important entities, and learn how to move and evade around bullet fire without ever looking at Cuphead direclty like you're playing a 2D bullet-hell shooter with gravity, all that chaos becomes very manageable.
It's exactly things like that I can't handle very well, yes the bullets on the left are the only ones that matter but they are still really hard to dodge sometimes because their trajectory can change, the final phase especially is a nightmare of spatial awareness and multitasking I struggle with, the constant dodging of the punches while having to know where the platforms truly are is way too much for me

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I watched this video last night.

youtu.be

Top 10 Hardest Soulsborne Bosses (Including Elden Ring)

Today we rank the top 10 hardest bosses of the Souls Series, including Elden Ring, Sekiro, and Bloodborne. Let me know your top 10 list down below!Bloodborne...

The person in the video has played every FromSoft game extensively to the point of completing many of the games' hardest bosses under self-imposed harder conditions. They've clearly played through all of FromSoft's games many times over on their stream while also making separate YouTube content on the subject as well.

In this video, he talks about taking 50, 70, even over 100 tries to beat some of these bosses the first time around.

That is ABSURD, and I don't believe for a second that even a novice player would take nearly that many attempts to beat Cuphead's hardest bosses. And yet, such an insane amount of time being spent on harder bosses in FromSoft games by an experienced player is normalized to some degree.

Hell, here I am saying that FS games don't come that naturally to me, but even I've never taken more than maybe 10-15 attempts on some of the bosses that always make those lists. That, to me, is already the mark of an insanely difficult boss fight.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020

youtu.be

Today we rank the top 10 hardest bosses of the Souls Series, including Elden Ring, Sekiro, and Bloodborne. Let me know your top 10 list down below!Bloodborne...

The person in the video has played every FromSoft game extensively to the point of completing many of the games' hardest bosses under self-imposed harder conditions. They've clearly played through all of FromSoft's games many times over on their stream while also making separate YouTube content on the subject as well.

In this video, he talks about taking 50, 70, even over 100 tries to beat some of these bosses the first time around.

That is ABSURD, and I don't believe for a second that even a novice player would take nearly that many attempts to beat Cuphead's hardest bosses. And yet, such an insane amount of time being spent on harder bosses in FromSoft games by an experienced player is normalized to some degree.

Hell, here I am saying that FS games don't come that naturally to me, but even I've never taken more than maybe 10-15 attempts on some of the bosses that always make those lists. That, to me, is already the mark of an insanely difficult boss fight.
The thing is experiences can vary wildly, there are always anecdotes in both sides, for me only 3 Souls bosses before Elden Ring took more 3 tries, and I wouldn't say I'm some example of the general experience, difficulty is highly subjective but I've rarely seen those extreme cases, that's all.

Alexalder

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Wow this thread is wild.

I still think many are judging Cuphead from the co-op perspective where bosses have ludicrous amounts of hps, even spawns are tough as bricks and there is SO MUCH stuff on screen all at once.
I went back playing solo mode with the hp upgrade perk and you can take two hits and still get an S, bosses have so little life the whole fight is done in minutes. The only frustrating part was getting "Bravo Zulu P-26", and probably just because it takes you back to the bullet sponge-y co-op feeling.
"Rolling Sixes" posed a fair challenge and required some attention at a Souls game level.

I mean yes you could theoretically cheat at Souls by overlevelling or cheese, but why would you even do that

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019

youtu.be

I don`t consider myself a souls master. Far from it actually. I have beaten all of those bosses expect Midir and I don`t think I used over 50 attempts on any of them. I probably would have with Malenia though if I didn`t look up a good cheese build against her. Fuck that boss.

Peoples experiences are different. Some people probably used that many attempts on those bosses but it`s not the norm I think (those are also the top 10 bosses across 6 different games).

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Wow this thread is wild.

I still think many are judging Cuphead from the co-op perspective where bosses have ludicrous amounts of hps, even spawns are tough as bricks and there is SO MUCH stuff on screen all at once.
I went back playing solo mode with the hp upgrade perk and you can take two hits and still get an S, bosses have so little life the whole fight is done in minutes. The only frustrating part was getting "Bravo Zulu P-26", and probably just because it takes you back to the bullet sponge-y co-op feeling.
"Rolling Sixes" posed a fair challenge and required some attention at a Souls game level.

I mean yes you could theoretically cheat at Souls by overlevelling or cheese, but why would you even do that
Even on Solo many bosses have a ton on screen at once, not to mention you can't really use the health charms because it replaces the smoke dash and without it avoiding stuff is even harder than it already is imo

Birds of Paradise

Enlightened Shinra Employee
Sep 20, 2021
Wow this thread is wild.

If there is one thing I learned from this website is that hardly anyone plays co-op or multiplayer here.
Most people are for the single player experience, I do not think that Cuphead is an exception.

However, it is funny that Cuphead is actually more difficult when played together :P

Oct 31, 2017
I used to play Metal Slug regularly on cabinate version and get on the late game with a single credit.
It's nowhere near as punishing as Cuphead, so not sure why we are even getting to this comparison.

youtu.be

Unless he's doing naked SL1 runs I don't believe it FOR A SECOND.
Even as a mediocre player I rarely had to attempt a Souls boss more than a half dozen time, excluding some extreme outliers. And even for those we are still talking about 10 repetitions top.
It was not unusual to clumsily get my kill at the first attempt, which is something that NEVER happened to me in Cuphead. Not even with the "tutorial slime".

Oct 31, 2017
Wow this thread is wild.

I went back playing solo mode with the hp upgrade perk and you can take two hits and still get an S, bosses have so little life the whole fight is done in minutes.
I never played Cuphead in co-op once in my life and for what is worth I have problems completing these bosses at all, let alone conceding myself the luxury of worrying about the score.

And it's not an issue of "not understanding what I have to do", contrarily to what Rubblatus seems to think.
It's just that I struggle to not make mistakes for as long as necessary until completion.
Because the game is not particularly forgiving with timing, even less forgiving with collisions/hitboxes (contrarily to a lot of games in this genre it often feels like the hitbox outsizes the object you are trying to avoid) and because the game doesn't make simple "getting out of the way" and often keeps challenging your "safe spots" with stuff thrown in your direction, chasing projectiles and other shit.

I don't doubt that some of you are really fucking pros at it, but you can't sell me the notion that ANY of this is "just basic pattern recognition".
Or that most players on average can complete Cuphead bosses in less than 10 tries.

What's even more funny to me is that there isn't a single argument attempted to downplay Cuphead's difficulty so far in this thread ("pattern recognition, reaction times, enemy telegraph their moves and become predictable after a while", etc) that doesn't apply to Souls games as well to an even major degree.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fucking rubbish at games like Cuphead so I found it much more difficult than any Souls game. I'm not a particularly skilled at games, or patient, but I've managed to finish all of the Souls games so I genuinely believe they are nowhere near as hard as they are made out to be, at least as far as the main games are concerned. The DLCs do tend to be a tough challenge though.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played through Cuphead for the first time on my Steam Deck just a few days ago. Found it overall much easier than Souls games. Then again, I played quite a few 2D platformers.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
I used to play Metal Slug regularly on cabinate version and get on the late game with a single credit.
It's nowhere near as punishing as Cuphead, so not sure why we are even getting to this comparison.

Unless he's doing naked SL1 runs I don't believe it FOR A SECOND.
Even as a mediocre player I rarely had to attempt a Souls boss more than a half dozen time, excluding some extreme outliers. And even for those we are still talking about 10 repetitions top.
It was not unusual to clumsily get my kill at the first attempt, which is something that NEVER happened to me in Cuphead. Not even with the "tutorial slime".

I said it at the beginning of this thread and I'll say it again, difficulty is subjective. You call yourself a mediocre player, but it took me more than 30 tries to beat Nyall in Elden Ring, same for Godskin Apostle and a few other bosses. I bought and sold Dark Souls 3 times before I "got it". I could beat super hard 2d Games, why was Dark Souls kicking my butt?

I have beaten every Souls games. I've beaten Cuphead blind in less time it took me to beat Nyall.

There is no clear-cut answer to the question being asked. There can't be. Like, for ME, Cuphead is an easier game, and it's among the easiest games of its kind too.

A more interesting question would be "what determines why certain people find X or Y harder", and I don"t think a forum will provide answers to that one!