• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I really enjoyed it. Granted it's been a while so I don't remember if it had any problematic elements. It had a sense of humor, it didn't take itself too seriously. It was the first DC movie in a while that made me go 'that was really fun'. I was surprised to see that it doesn't have a good rep here. What didn't people like about it?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
it's actually the only really decent DC movie since the nolan batmans

until you reach the final speech

what the hell was that speech

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman is a stupid movie, but it knows it's stupid so I can't hate it.

Also some of the action scenes are really well done.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I remember it had Nicole Kidman vomiting CGI water in like the first 10 minutes of the movie. Also, Amber Heard sucks.

AND DON'T YOU EVER FUCKING FORGET:

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Horrid? No. It's the equivalent of Spider Man 3 for me. The story wasn't intriguing and JM really didn't captivate me neither did his chemistry with Heard. I liked the vs Black Manta & goons fight but not much else. If given the choice I'd rather watch Shazam, Wonder Woman or MoS.

Oct 25, 2017
aquaman is cool
it's really dumb but fully 100% aware of it and rocks it
how can you not love black manta
I posted this the other day but it's relevant here as well:

my dceu continuity ranking is
1. wonder woman
2. aquaman
3. this space left intentionally blank
4. shazam
5. i dont care anymore my list is over, throw 84 on the heap with the rest

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a fun movie. It had a lot of Marvel energy to it, and in a good way. It's very corny, though.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really care for it. I thought it was cheesy and generic. I guess not terrible for a DC movie these days... not that that says much.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a link to the threads or posts that makes it seem that it doesn't have a good rep here?

As far as I know, people here enjoyed it, and I don't seem to recall anything really THAT negative that people have posted about it.

Maybe in the DC thread (since I don't visit that thread)?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
It slots right into the mid tier of marvel flicks except it has a wildly more bombastic world and CGI behind it. Some of the music choices are ass but I also really liked the Depeche mode inclusion as weird as it was

I enjoyed it. Wan is good at this over the top blockbuster stuff. Usually I yawn during these big setpieces at the end but the amount of shit he threw at you with the underwater life during the battle and his action direction made it one of the better ones for me. Decent cape flick

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with Era on its love of Speed Racer but I can't for the life of me understand the love Aquaman gets. It is thoroughly mediocre.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
If anything I think people are overly positive about it. It's bland as hell. It felt like I had already seen the movie before. The Italy action sequence was legit fantastic though.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I really really liked it.

But I can't bring myself to watch it anymore thanks to Amber Heard.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It was fine. It was super cheesy and dumb fun. Which is totally fine and even great. It's good to have those kinds of big spectacle films.

In terms of building up a character and overall DC universe it's not that great. I don't care about Aquaman or Atlantis and anything to do with that world. It's a fun spectacle, but that's about it.

Shazam was kind of the same, but a little bit better about making me care a bit about the characters, but mostly the siblings than Billy/Shazam himself.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
Do you have a link to the threads or posts that makes it seem that it doesn't have a good rep here?

As far as I know, people here enjoyed it, and I don't seem to recall anything really THAT negative that people have posted about it.

Maybe in the DC thread (since I don't visit that thread)?
I guess it's more of a general sentiment I'm seeing since WW84 released. I know Amber Heard is an asshole but among the DC flicks I've seen Aquaman ranks high.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The movie is in "It's so bad it's good" tier. Aquaman to me is what Venom apparently (somehow, someway) was for others.

The dialogue was painful, the leads were wooden as hell, but damn if it wasn't an entertaining, dumb fun movie when all is said and done. Also it was very pretty.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
it's okay. couldn't care less about the relationship between amber heard and aqu, which was mindnumbingly cliche.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
I guess part of it is I find Jason Momoa to be insanely hot lmao

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's sooo much fun.

It's self-aware that its gotta make sharks into....lol friggin patrol sharks.
They got the most beautiful monster-sized muscular dude to play the role and do it with a lot more "cool" than Aquaman is really known for.
They even managed to CG underwater hair so it didn't look like total garbage (which is incredibly difficult animate).

it's okay. couldn't care less about the relationship between amber heard and aqu, which was mindnumbingly cliche.
lol But they ate roses together 🌹

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

I guess part of it is I find Jason Momoa to be insanely hot lmao

Im gonna chalk that up to a good 80% of why it works. The "adventure" element and action is generally very well done... but Mamoa is also the perfect get for this franchise and had a way more fun personality while Superman and Batman were kinda bringing down the room.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I thought it was uniquely terrible, even for DC movies and only slightly better than Justice League.

If I had seen it in the theater, it would have only been the second movie I walked out of (MacGruber being the other).

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I thought it was very entertaining. Not great, and could certainly be improved in places, but I can see why it was so successful.

As an aside, I thought it was kind of funny how Patrick Wilson actually looked a lot more like the classic Aquaman than Jason Momoa.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
It was damn good fun and anyone who hates it hates fun.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun film, and visually pretty amazing. Momoa is great. Only problem is that Heard is in it. Wonder if she'll be recast?

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Absolutely no one in the movie had any chemistry, it was legitimately bizarre. It's like everyone was filmed alone in a separate room and then digitally inserted together.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
It's absolutely horrible. It's one of those movies that is so bad it's good. It was like a comedy, I couldn't stop laughing the entire movie. Acting is bad, direction is bad, they change screen formats MIDWAY THROUGH THE MOVIE, there's an hilariously bad slow-mo scene right at the beginning... There's only one redeemable quality in the movie, and that is Jason.

One of my best memories watching movies with my friends.

I had to go to youtube to find the scene.

2min mark
It's like they forgot to shoot that specific shot at higher frames but still wanted some slow-mo, like a throwback to the 90's.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot more than the most recent DC movie I watched.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One unintentionally hilarious I loved was how goddamn explosions there were

Like people could just be chilling, when suddenly the whole room just get blown up lmao

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was great!

It was over the top, cheesy, and silly, but that was kind of the point.