• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Probably had to do with the proximity and grossness of someone literally peeing in a chamber pot at the Senate door while trying to filibuster civil rights by speaking (used to be that you had to constantly speak and the moment you walked off the Senate floor your filibuster ended, so... peeing and pooping while on the Senate floor became a thing). It was also a jim crow move to give more power to more white states. It's stupid. Though, the funny part is, that the rule wasn't used to shut literally everything down till Obama. Before that it wasn't used very often. Went from being used once or twice to a few dozen times to thousands under Obama.
It makes sense if you look at the Republican party as an organization that exists solely to cripple this country through minority rule. They have done everything in their power to achieve that minority rule for decades and decades. This is why rural america has so much power. Whitey wants to remain in power.
Ok so if I understand this correctly, they created a rule to allow a minority to prevent the majority to rule. And I guess they realized their opposition wouldn't be as shitty as to use it constantly like they are doing (very telling that they started using it much more against Obama).

However, I want to think that Dems would have used it a lot against a monster like Trump thus now Republicans would be on board with removing the rule? Otherwise, what can Dems do?

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
Sinema and manchin are also calling McConnell's bluff by being so vocal to not nuking it. The pledge is if theres not enough dems to do it, mitch has even less reason to hold up process. If he continues to do so it only puts incredible pressure on senators like sinema/manchin to fold so anything can get done. Eventually they have to move forward if need be, Manchin/Sinema can blame the republicans for having to do so.

The question is how far does mitch push before hes seen as too unreasonable and loses them... Though dems taking that action could be the republican goal. They can blame the dems for a power grab, play victim in the minority (wheres "bidens unity") and when/if they do acquire power move forward without the filibuster, something the R's have abused or weakened as they've seen fit anyway.

May 21, 2018
I think Manchin, Sinema, and are just like the GOP. They don't want to do the hard work of governing, they just want to be the minority obstructionist party and have it easy.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so if I understand this correctly, they created a rule to allow a minority to prevent the majority to rule. And I guess they realized their opposition wouldn't be as shitty as to use it constantly like they are doing (very telling that they started using it much more against Obama).

However, I want to think that Dems would have used it a lot against a monster like Trump thus now Republicans would be on board with removing the rule? Otherwise, what can Dems do?
Trump was the second most filibustered president. The only major partisan bills pubs passed were through reconciliation which only requires a simple majority but has restrictions.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Republicans don't want the filibuster nuked even when they are in power because they only want to get rid of legislation (or prevent new legislation). Democrats ask for their representatives to point to successful legislation that was passed. If they can't then they are deemed ineffective and their voters won't turn out support. Meanwhile a GOP term is considered successful based on stopping new legislation. That can be accomplished either by holding power or, in its absence, just preserving the filibuster.

So it is far, far, far easier for a republican to be considered successful at their job than a democrat.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Following the results in Georgia, I was really hoping for a solid 2 years of progressive Democratic legislation, but somehow minority Mitch is still able to fuck that dream up, too :/

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think they are more likely to change the filibuster rules than get rid of it, which is fine if it becomes workable.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Following the results in Georgia, I was really hoping for a solid 2 years of progressive Democratic legislation, but somehow minority Mitch is still able to fuck that dream up, too :/

Why did you expect that? A 50-50 party split (with VP tie breaker) is not the path for major progressive breakthroughs.

EDIT- people really have short memories. After the general election the narrative was "oh, wouldn't it be a miracle if we get the two Senate seats in the GA runoff? Probably won't be much progressive legislation but at least we get committee leaderships, judicial appointments, cabinet confirmations, and budget reconciliations." Now everyone is up in arms because they can't get the Green New Deal.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Taking the long road to kill this thing. Only republicans are going to miss it. This thing only does is harm.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
i wrote manchin and sinema too, and requested replies.

i'm not from their states so they might cut me off as not being a constituent. but i'll also contact my senators (ca).

www.manchin.senate.gov

Email Joe | U.S. Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia

The Official U.S. Senate website of Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia

I am in Arizona and voted for Sinema so I also sent her an email demanding that she end the filibuster. I'm not worried about Kelly but it couldn't hurt for me to email him either.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
What are the numbers here, is it really only two holdouts? Or just the two who have been public bout their opinion so far?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a 50-50 split. People have way overhyped themselves. Georgia helped make things more possible but the way Congress is setup we needed 52-53 seats to be able to rule with an iron fist effectively.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why did you expect that? A 50-50 party split (with VP tie breaker) is not the path for major progressive breakthroughs.

EDIT- people really have short memories. After the general election the narrative was "oh, wouldn't it be a miracle if we get the two Senate seats in the GA runoff? Probably won't be much progressive legislation but at least we get committee leaderships, judicial appointments, cabinet confirmations, and budget reconciliations." Now everyone is up in arms because they can't get the Green New Deal.
Edit: gd internet hold up
Edit: I don't want to get into a semantic argument over what our individual operating definition of "progressive" means--I was merely expressing relief at the idea of any Democrat-supported legislation being passed, which has been largely absent in recent years

Last edited:

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
What are the numbers here, is it really only two holdouts? Or just the two who have been public bout their opinion so far?
There are others who are opposed to the filibuster ending but at least said they'd reconsider it. Sinema and Manchin are the focus because they outright said that they're opposed to the filibuster ending and will never change their minds.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017

It's not even about super progressive stuff like GND. It's about the Voting Rights Act, minimum wage increase, DC statehood. Things that are hugely popular across a wide swathe of Americans. These aren't progressive wet dreams, these should've been slam dunks even with just 50 + 1.

But with the filibuster remaining none of that gets done.

synapsidal

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day nuking the filibuster gives the people better representation in the Senate during times when Democrats are in power and for the times when that's not the case Republicans weren't going to compromise anyway.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, only two. The third most likely, Tester, basically stated he'd nuke it if pubs block everything and most other Senators are parroting the "Jim Crow filibuster" line.

Either way, I wasn't thinking an outright nuking of it was likely, reform was more likely, still disappointing. Here's hoping McConnell filibustering the organizing resolution changes some minds.
What does this mean for the Stimulus?
Probably will take a few weeks.

Oct 27, 2017
Sinema will go which way the wind blows. She is still responsible to a state that is very much purple on its slow path to blue but there is still a significant GOP base.

A week or two of pure obstructionism is what gives these Senators in much more divided states the coverage they need
Playing games with people's lives, gotta love politics.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I'm hoping this is to give cover for nuking the filibuster next week. It's absolutely unacceptable to hold up the work of the people to entrench minority bad faith obstruction.

We're still having this debate 12 years after Obama was elected. The filibuster has done NOTHING to encourage bipartisanship. In fact, it's done the opposite, it's been used as a tool to sabotage and remove accountability.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is unbearable. These morons mock the hard and tireless work of those who got us the majority.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even about super progressive stuff like GND. It's about the Voting Rights Act, minimum wage increase, DC statehood. Things that are hugely popular across a wide swathe of Americans. These aren't progressive wet dreams, these should've been slam dunks even with just 50 + 1.

But with the filibuster remaining none of that gets done.

That's not true though- if it was a slam dunk then the filibuster would be nuked. Manchin and Sinema know exactly what initiatives won't happen if they won't support filibuster rule changes. They are basically voting against all three initiatives and they know that.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017

handshake/gentleman's deal incoming? a lot of this hinges on principle and understanding from two very different view points. some sort of agreement with a few dems offering a verbal objection could at least get mitch to stop blocking the dems from assuming their majority.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
They're going to reform it at best and not just nuke it. Maybe some sort of limitation as to how often you can filibuster something.

Nov 2, 2017

You're giving too much credit to this system by suggesting that someone deliberately created the rule to do this.

The history of the filibuster in the Senate is pretty simple. The original Senate rules contained a motion that amounted to majority cloture, the thing we're talking about restoring by eliminating the filibuster. However, the first few sessions of the Senate never used the procedure because everyone basically agreed "OK, fine, we're done debating, let's just vote", never having debate used as an obstructionist tactic. In 1806, a revision was made to the Senate rules, and the majority cloture rule was removed from the rulebook because it was never used and therefore considered not necessary. With that decision, the Senate opened the possibility for a single senator to obstruct the business of the Senate. It was never a deliberate decision, it was just a boneheaded decision in 1806 that created a loophole because somehow no one figured out that the rules need to handle bad faith operators.

It wasn't until 1917 that there was any way for the entire rest of the chamber to make a single Senator stop obstructing the business of the Senate, and at this point people had already basically normalized the filibuster as Tradition instead of an aberration created by some short-sighted legislators, so you got the cloture rules that prioritized the anti-democratic filibuster.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017

handshake/gentleman's deal incoming? a lot of this hinges on principle and understanding from two very different view points. some sort of agreement with a few dems offering a verbal objection could at least get mitch to stop blocking the dems from assuming their majority.

Manchin and Sinema gave Rs cover to give in a tiny bit.

Now to rewrite filibuster rules and get to work.

Nov 2, 2017
How is this not still a rule? Like, really, when did this change so that it wasn't a requirement?

It was never a requirement. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington is fiction.

All the filibuster has ever been is an abuse of the concept of floor debate. The Senate rules. between 1806 and 1917, contained no way to formally end debate on a measure, which meant that it could only happen if everyone agreed "yeah, we're done debating". You don't have to stand on the floor and give speeches, debate doesn't have a real definition, it's just a period that continues until everyone decides it's over. Those big speeches from people where they stand on the Senate floor and talk for hours is because those people know that the media will pay attention to stunts like "Senator gives 12 hour speech from the Senate floor" and they want to publicize just how dedicated their opposition is. All the filibuster actually ever required is for one person in opposition to camp out on the Senate floor and be there to object to unanimous consent requests.

The talking filibuster definitely does exist in some legislative bodies, but it really never has in the US Senate. Between 1806 and 1917, you never had to give a big endless speech, all you ever had to do was be present to object, although you could give that lengthy speech from the floor if you wanted to. Post-1917, a supermajority of Senators can invoke cloture to set a cap on the remaining amount of debate, and they do not need to wrest the floor from you in order to do so, so the talking filibuster isn't effective there either.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

people expected that Biden would at least be able to have a decent chance in making at least half of his agenda become solidified in law by voting in record numbers during a fucking pandemic, twice, and not 2 to 4 more years of this "lol Mitch" bullshit and fuckery

Aug 12, 2019
What part of that scenario is supposed to be funny?

How utterly predictable it is when they're already face planting left and right to do anything and still playing by the rules when the Republicans threw away every single thing they could the minute it impeded their goals. It's always been a simple equation. Dems actually help people and they stand a chance at not getting annihilated in the midterms, they don't help people and don't use the tools given to them to try to enact the things they promised, they get devastatingly blown out.

Hell, before Biden was even sworn in they were blowing good will from Georgian voters with the whole, well actually, we meant $1400 on top of the $600 people already got, not $2000.

It's a pandemic that honestly doesn't have a meaningful end point in sight and economically things are going to get a lot harder on people around the country. There's not to going to be a lot of good will left by 2022 for Dems if they've just let McConnell walk all over them yet again. You aren't going to be winning over many voters with a nuanced conversation of the filibuster and how it prevented you from doing necessary things, people are just going to hold the Dems accountable for it period.