• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Kill me now.

While attending Mass at the University of Notre Dame last fall, Maryann White saw something that horrified her: leggings.

A group of young women, all clad in clingy Spandex and short tops, were sitting directly in front of her and her family.

"I thought of all the other men around and behind us who couldn't help but see their behinds," the self-described Catholic mother of four sons wrote in a letter to the editorthat was published by the Observer, Notre Dame's student newspaper, on Monday. "My sons know better than to ogle a woman's body — certainly when I'm around (and hopefully, also when I'm not). They didn't stare, and they didn't comment afterwards. But you couldn't help but see those blackly naked rear ends. I didn't want to see them — but they were unavoidable. How much more difficult for young guys to ignore them."

Begging female students to "think of the mothers of sons the next time you go shopping and consider choosing jeans instead," White said in her letter, adding that she hopes leggings eventually will go out of style. Maybe, she proposed, Notre Dame women could start a trend by simply choosing not to wear the wildly popular stretchy pants.

Her plea appears to have had the opposite effect: By way of responding to her complaints, more than 1,000 students at the private Catholic University in South Bend, Ind., indicated that they planned to wear leggings to class this week.

In her letter, titled "The legging problem," White described the pants as "a problem that only girls can solve." She claimed that the depiction of women in movies, video games and music videos made it harder for Catholic mothers to "teach their sons that women are someone's daughters and sisters" and should be treated with respect. Although she acknowledged the main reason college students like to wear leggings — namely, they're extremely comfortable — White went on to imply that it wasn't too different from walking around without any clothes on at all.

"We don't go naked because we respect the other people who must see us," she said, adding, "I'm fretting both because of unsavory guys who are looking at you creepily and nice guys who are doing everything to avoid looking at you."

More at the link.

Think of the mothers of sons

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus is pretty clear about what those boys should do. And it's not blame the ladies...

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with her logic but it is kind of weird how women just all wear sweatpants 24/7 now and let's be real this isn't just college age people or even just women.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
giphy.gif

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
"But you couldn't help but see those blackly naked rear ends. I didn't want to see them — but they were unavoidable."

latest

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now this is some good old conservative Christian outrage. I thought we on the left had co-opted it all, but they've still got it 😏😉

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those brave sons who by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ did not cast their eyes upon the sinful outline of college booty. All glory and honor unto them.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol leggings is the only kind college girls wear around here it seems.

They do indeed not really leave anything up to the imaginations but that is none of my business.

thatsnoneofmyftjyu.jpg

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh this sounds like the basis for a Resetera argument

In her letter, titled "The legging problem," White described the pants as "a problem that only girls can solve." She claimed that the depiction of women in movies, video games and music videos made it harder for Catholic mothers to "teach their sons that women are someone's daughters and sisters" and should be treated with respect. Although she acknowledged the main reason college students like to wear leggings — namely, they're extremely comfortable — White went on to imply that it wasn't too different from walking around without any clothes on at all.

"We don't go naked because we respect the other people who must see us," she said, adding, "I'm fretting both because of unsavory guys who are looking at you creepily and nice guys who are doing everything to avoid looking at you."

White probably has a real issue with DMC5 🤔

Someone ask Capcom if they can do real-life beams of light on Church-goers.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yoga pants can be distracting if the person wearing them is really hot or has an amazing body.

But its been like that for a long time. Except back in the day of concerned mothers, you had to wait until it was hot to see the skimpy clothing. The difference is now its year round with yoga pants.

The real outrage is going to happen when loose jeans and flannel shirts back into style. You care barely tell someones gender in that type of clothing let alone almost any details of their body.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Man we would have laughed our asses off reading this letter in the observer when I was there. Someone would have started something called the Legging Legion and then next four months of letters to the paper would be about leggings, including someone's almost verbatim satire letter based on the original but with the word leggings changed to Liederhosen.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My evangelical Christian coworker mentioned how he thinks leggings are immoral a few weeks ago. My other evangelical Christian coworker (a woman) agreed with him.

I'm glad I keep my mouth shut.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
About damn time!

It's hard enough being a parent in this day and age ESPECIALLY when you have a son.
You need to be aware that these boys are incapable of not being creeps, it's biological and ingrained in their DNA. So we should look to science to absolve our responsibility.

What do they expect me to do?! Teach them to be respectful of others even those of the opposite sex? That they need to control their behavior based on place and situation. Teach them that those she devils in their lululemon sex apparel aren't thing to ogle at but rather see as humans that are mothers, daughters, and respectable members of society?

No fuck that I will yell at young girls empowered by education and fitness because of my fleeting youth.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
My evangelical Christian coworker mentioned how he thinks leggings are immoral a few weeks ago. My other evangelical Christian coworker (a woman) agreed with him.

I'm glad I keep my mouth shut.
I love the idea of immoral clothing.
What about open-toed sandals? Might rile up the foot fetish Christians after all.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I'm imagining her 18 year old son, tears in his eyes, pulling on her sleeve and solemnly nodding towards the pew of girls praying three rows up, then sheepishly looking down at the bible covering his privates.

The shame of it all.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Man im not sure baltimore woukd survive if women werent allowed to wear leggings but I'm pretty aure their wouod be riots here.