• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
That flow chart does not say much tbh. Even if the think implementing a real system, the level of commitment is just wy too big to be sustainable. See Eve to know just how difficult is for new players to get on it.
Instead of a feature it will just serve as a disservice to the game.

Jun 17, 2018
What? The reason it's taking so long (and will likely never hit 1.0) is because they keep moving the goal posts. Every new addition to the game adds months or years to its time in early access. He has no fucking idea what he is doing.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I agree OP, Star Citizen is cool as hell.
You need to put that image in context tho.

I THINK what OP is trying to say is: In Star Citizen they actually simulate all of the ship's systems physically. So you can destroy parts of a ship and then certain systems won't work. Everything in the ship needs to have a physical representation. So they need to design ships in a way that makes sense for them in the game world, they need power generation, air supply, etc etc etc

I appreciate that but this is something that exists in a smaller scale in Elite Dangerous and a lot of pilot sims. It's not something new and definitely not something you spend a decade developing. It's an additional interesting detail at best.

Scubdi

Jan 21, 2020
Here is a glimpse at the engineering meta on one of the bigger flyable ships, the Hammerhead:

14q9a12zo3w51.png

Yeah, good luck keeping that thing flying in a battle without a team of 3-4 engineers all working together to keep systems working. Someone get Geordi La Forge on the phone. This is FTL on a far bigger scale.

Ambition takes time. Yes you need to know when enough is enough with feature creep, but from a financial point of view the horse has clearly bolted, so maybe lets just wait and see where this thing goes before diving into the escape pods?

dee.jpg

Aug 31, 2019
There is a good saying I've heard from the physical engineering world: an average engineeer builds something that works, a great engineer builds something that barely works.

Any idiot, with infinite money and no constraints, could design a bridge that doesn't fall over. No one should think that's hard. The skill comes from making that bridge cheaply and quickly, that works within your buffered constraints but no more than that.

Star Citizen is the infinite money bridge.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Unless they are simulating the wiring of sub-systems and the off chance a crew member spills a beverage over it, short-circuiting the whole system...I don't see anything new. A bit bigger, yes, but Falcon 4.0 which is old af already had simulation of random mechanical parts iirc.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Sunk Cost Galaxy docu it just seems like it benefits them more to not release the game vs releasing it and I'm ignoring the obvious bias of the video maker here and really am not taking into consideration the implied shade on the various leading people, really mostly referring to the episode talking about the business model.

ImboSlice

Nov 30, 2017
People who are still believing in SC eventually actually getting a release and even being a great game always remind me of conspiracy theorists - it feels cult-ish and irrational.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
There's an elephant in the management room. He invited his wife and had sex and had children and now the room is full of elephants that keep giving birth to more elephants. But the management hasn't noticed.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly not sure that's more complex than many other vehicle based games. Look at flight sims or other serious simulators and they have many, many systems running at once to try and replicate a realistic experience. The only difference is that the software is doing it behind the scenes whereas this may be asking the end user to click on some buttons. Not convinced that this can be slapped down as a "And this is why the game's taking so long to develop!" card tbh.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Discussing Star Citizen on this forum will never yield anything of value, it will be called SCAM incessantly regardless of the large amount of work we see in development every week. I just tune it out.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I expected there would be a gif of the game's amazing bartender AI in the OP.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
"Here is something I don't understand, therefore it must take a long time to make" seems to be the gist of the OP.

UrĂ°r

Aug 13, 2020
To program the secrets of the universe into the game, scientists first have to figure out those secrets. So all kickstarter money is being sent to the NASA instead of the developer studio.
/s

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
There is a good saying I've heard from the physical engineering world: an average engineeer builds something that works, a great engineer builds something that barely works.

Any idiot, with infinite money and no constraints, could design a bridge that doesn't fall over. No one should think that's hard. The skill comes from making that bridge cheaply and quickly, that works within your buffered constraints but no more than that.

Star Citizen is the infinite money bridge.

Now this is an analogy I like.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
What sort of tasks, an engineer for example might have to do? Like the captain will request more power and you'll have to flick a switch or two?
Or will he need to shove more coal into the boiler or something?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I appreciate that but this is something that exists in a smaller scale in Elite Dangerous and a lot of pilot sims. It's not something new and definitely not something you spend a decade developing. It's an additional interesting detail at best.
Its that plus the eve online style economy plus the physics based flight simulation plus the seemless transition from being in a huge city to atmosphere to space to space station, plus the full first person shooter mode when you pull out a gun, and much much more that does take a lot of time to build. Thats not even getting into the full story campaign etc

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
The most epic part of this game so far is the scope creep.

I am not investing any money into this until I see a finished product, but I am hoping it delivers in the end.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
What sort of tasks, an engineer for example might have to do? Like the captain will request more power and you'll have to flick a switch or two?
Or will he need to shove more coal into the boiler or something?

In the case of this image, it's about emergency repairs. Basically, the squares represent components and the circles are energy relays.

So during a battle, depending on damage or hacks, the engineer would have to fix the "strategic" relays first to ensure all needed components remain linked to the powerplants or the ship would quickly end up dead in the water. Like say, all relays between the cockpit and the powerplants are damaged, the pilot would lose control. So you'll need to fix that as fast as possible to regain power in the commands.

And outside of battle, he could choose to deactivate some of the relays to save up on performances as each relays are meant to be a strain on the powerplant. The ship in the example is a military corvette so a big ship with plenty of components and plenty of available relays for redudancy. A civilian ship would have much less relays for instance.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
In the case of this image, it's about emergency repairs. Basically, the squares represent components and the circles are energy relays.

So during a battle, depending on damage or hacks, the engineer would have to fix the "strategic" relays first to ensure all needed components remain linked to the powerplants or the ship would quickly end up dead in the water. Like say, all relays between the cockpit and the powerplants are damaged, the pilot would lose control. So you'll need to fix that as fast as possible to regain power in the commands.

And outside of battle, he could choose to deactivate some of the relays to save up on performances as each relays are meant to be a strain on the powerplant. The ship in the example is a military corvette so a big ship with plenty of components and plenty of available relays for redudancy. A civilian ship would have much less relays for instance.

Sounds like good fun.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
that's weird I thought it was because they had garbage project management and an inability to hire people because nobody wants to work on games that are never going to come out and it's publically known that their project management is garbage

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
What are you supposed to do in this game, when it's ready? Collect spaceships?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While you could've been more clear on what your point was with the OP, I agree with you that ResetEra is really not the place to discuss Star Citizen. The vast majority is convinced it is a scam, and I can't really blame them lol.
I don't really think it's a scam. There is tech in that game that is absolutely incredible, but there is clearly problems with scoping. I'm just patiently waiting for it, checking in once in a while and trying out the alpha builds and hoping it will eventually be good.
Honest question what would you call their questionable monetization and preying on whales?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There is a game called Objects in Space where you are pilot/engineer of a ship. It gets old really fast

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Discussing Star Citizen on this forum will never yield anything of value, it will be called SCAM incessantly regardless of the large amount of work we see in development every week. I just tune it out.

It's because despite the "large amount" of work in development, when you compare the sheer scale of how much money Star Citizen is burning and how large their staff is, to literally any other company who are managing to produce and publish full entire games within just a few years, you wonder how much Star Citizen has actually accomplished relative to their size and time.

They originally announced this game would ship in 2014. 2014! And if they released what they currently have functioning right now as a product in 2014, it would still be underwhelming and shameful compared to the vision they promised.

So much time and effort is spent focused on these weird ancillary things that mean nothing to what most people would consider "core gameplay", and yet even those parts never seem to materialize in time. That post about the bartender AI is exactly the problem with this game.

People call it a scam because at some point you have to believe that they know full well when they give a timeframe of when something is going to be done, they're lying. Either Chris Roberts is the most deluded man on the planet, or they are knowingly telling people a lie when they say "oh don't worry, SQ42 beta is just around the corner", or any other promise of "don't worry it's almost here". It's not a scam because it's a product that doesn't exist, it's a scam in that it's a product that's never going to exist the way they describe it in the timeframe they claim.

It's lies, designed to keep the whales in the ecosystem and to continue buying up more $1000+ ships to keep development going, because if the money runs dry and they "still" don't have anything to show for it, they're going to run into problems real fast.

Although maybe that's exactly the encouragement they need to actually finish the damn thing. What incentive do you have to actually ship a complete and working product when the money is still rolling in regardless.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Here is a glimpse at the engineering meta on one of the bigger flyable ships, the Hammerhead:

14q9a12zo3w51.png

Yeah, good luck keeping that thing flying in a battle without a team of 3-4 engineers all working together to keep systems working. Someone get Geordi La Forge on the phone. This is FTL on a far bigger scale.

Ambition takes time. Yes you need to know when enough is enough with feature creep, but from a financial point of view the horse has clearly bolted, so maybe lets just wait and see where this thing goes before diving into the escape pods?
QgBmYf4.gif

Jun 1, 2018
op the reason star cititen takes so long is because devs do something present it to chris roberts and he scraps it all and wants them to do it all over again. also when this was shown the presenter even said they have to refactor it again

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I kind of admire those who still keep the faith and think this game will come out

I will be happy to admit I was wrong when this game comes out and wins GOTY 2045

What are you supposed to do in this game, when it's ready? Collect spaceships?

They'll Switch to a Gacha model at some point

GetShip Impact

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So uh... it is taking so long because.. a somewhar basic schematic overview that shows ships have several systems?

well now - THAT explains everything. Thanks op!

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

CSX8jx1W0AEMu_J.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Released games like No Man's Sky, Elite Dangerous or Warframe have grown to very impressive sizes and scopes while still being playable and even enjoyable on multiple platforms.
And while not the same type of game, Warframe is even free!
What's Star Citizen's excuse?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that someone is doing something that can be described as work on this project doesn't make it less of a scam.

It's been 8 years. There's no end in sight as to when they'll deliver what they promised the project's backers.
It's cool you're happy with it, but a lot of people who got scammed or ended up in cults struggle with admitting that to themselves.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It seems the real game, is actually just people finding new ways to defend this big waste of money...