• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Something obvious, but still worth noting: Wanda didn't yeet Pietro out of the bubble. She's yeeted and rewound anyone else that bothered her previously, including her own hubby.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Something obvious, but still worth noting: Wanda didn't yeet Pietro out of the bubble. She's yeeted and rewound anyone else that bothered her previously, including her own hubby.

Yeah. I'll be interested to see if Pietro is in the next episode at all. I IMAGINE he will (sitcoms always return to 0 after all) but it would be pretty fucked up if we just never see him again after that blast.

According to Hayward, she's already ignoring his recorded will so it's gonna take a while for Vision to break through lol

Yup.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I think it's less that they want her to face more consequences and more that they know Hayward's only solution is to use violence, and violence will inevitably end with either Wanda, or innocent people, dead. There is no way that Hayward's plans will result in a positive outcome because Hayward is a trigger-happy fuck.

Do you mean 'no consequences'?

I do agree that Hayward's approach is wrong, but the show doesn't present it as a simple matter of approach; it presents the conflict as a matter of viewpoint, and Hayward's viewpoint is shown to be completely and utterly wrong. Monica and her crew do nothing but antagonise the guy throughout the entire show for the crime of... being a dick and... taking a hostage situation seriously; they don't provide actually-workable solutions, or even any good arguments, and instead just act like children fighting against a mean teacher or something.

Darcy, for instance, treats a show where innocent people are brainwashed and forced to enact a horrific sitcom parody as a completely innocent sitcom. Monica is directly threatened by Wanda for trying a non-violent approach and she barely even acknowledges it. Jimmy gives up an entire life of devotion to the law, one that had him acting as jailor to Ant-Man in his previous film, purely because he somewhat agrees with a woman he literally just met.

It's just such an annoyingly simple and needless conflict for a series that has had genuinely good conflicts in the past.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I do agree that Hayward's approach is wrong, but the show doesn't present it as a simple matter of approach; it presents the conflict as a matter of viewpoint, and Hayward's viewpoint is shown to be completely and utterly wrong. Monica and her crew do nothing but antagonise the guy throughout the entire show for the crime of... being a dick and... taking a hostage situation seriously; they don't provide actually-workable solutions, or even any good arguments, and instead just act like children fighting against a mean teacher or something.

Darcy, for instance, treats a show where innocent people are brainwashed and forced to enact a horrific sitcom parody as a completely innocent sitcom. Monica is directly threatened by Wanda for trying a non-violent approach and she barely even acknowledges it. Jimmy gives up an entire life of devotion to the law, one that had him acting as jailor to Ant-Man in his previous film, purely because he somewhat agrees with a woman he literally just met.

It's just such an annoyingly simple and needless conflict for a series that has had genuinely good conflicts in the past.

Here's the thing though:

- Hayward's viewpoint is simply to get Vision's body. He's got a secret set of scanners he didn't share with the rest.
- Monica is absolutely right that any situation to resolve this will have to involve Wanda herself.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The fact of the matter is that you can't resolve this situation with force. Yes, Monica is naive, but she's also not wrong that trying to resolve the situation with violence will only make things worse. Wanda is going to have to make the choice to stop this, and whether it's Monica herself (doubtful) or Vision, someone has to help her make it.

Violence will not convince her to back down. It will only lead to her becoming more dangerous, and inevitably provoke otherwise-avoidable collateral damage.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, nobody knew that Hayward had ulterior motives until this very episode. Considering one of my arguments was "Monica and crew are acting as if they have information the audience isn't privy to," then that kind of helps my point lol

Secondly, most of these points are just repeating what has already been said so I won't go any further because I'll just end up talking in circles.
I assumed he did as soon as he showed off the footage of Wanda breaking in to take Vision's body. Monica probably did too. As soon as you're like, "Oh, he's withholding pretty key information" he moves to a place of distrust. And they all literally push back on him in that moment.

So I disagree on your first part entirely.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
How does this Pietro know stuff about their childhood? Is it that somehow Wanda gave him the information and he as a "actor" knows his lines? Or is Pietro the real pietro but only has a different appearance?(I don't understand the "he was recast" thing)

When he said the line about Vision being dead twice (and got blasted by wanda) , was that Wanda losing control over him or does it mean Pietro isn't controlled like Vision as a "form of respect" to them? Does he know he himself is dead?
I just want to throw out my wild theory, prof x sent quicksilver there because he knew Wanda wouldn't respond to negative attention and is trying to appease her from the inside.

The reason he deflects questions about the past is because he only knows publicly available information.

I also have no idea how that would tie in, but if it turns out true I just want to prove to my sister that I called it

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
How in the everlovin fuck they didnt have Grim Reaper as a background cameo on a Halloween episode?It really bothers me,MCU almost always nail stuff like that

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The morality of expanding the hex to engulf even more people is going to be a big turning point for Wanda in the next episode I think.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
While expanding the hex is morally wrong, along with just it existing to begin with, I think the bigger issue will be the strain Wanda has with controlling more people, it's already clear that the people not in focus are basically background props.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they self banned, but I agree with Plum. I get what they are trying to do, but they aren't doing it well. Jimmy assaulting a government agent isn't sold well; Hayward is comically 80s Bad Authority Guy: Darcy is the best hacker on the planet; Monica undersells danger to herself and others. I get they they only have so much time, but these beats are under baked. In sharp contrast to the sitcom stuff, which is obviously lovingly put together. It does help that the performances are at a minimum solid (Heyward) to excellent (Monica).

It doesn't stop me from being obsessed with the show and thinking it's the best MCU thing since Black Panther. Yes I said it, I like this better than IW/Endgame so far.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty damn silly that the Astrophysicist is also apparently a genius hacker that can hack into a government agency system in 2 seocnds and break multiple firewalls in just a few minutes.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Vision will make her see that she isn't alone and still has friends out there, that she still has something to live for. He is a pure soul, he will convince her to help the people.

Pietro will be the deciding factor in the illusion going from ideal to wrong. His incongruity will be something that snaps her out of it.

Interestingly from the marvel page,
" Mephisto's powers are linked with his extra-dimensional realm and his powers rapidly decrease the longer he is away from his realm "
which explains the need for haste in things to happen
and
" despite continuously trying to get any noble soul to his realm and possession, he must need to corrupt them first, or otherwise, he himself will be, ironically, injured in the process. In fact, in the event that Mephisto is usurped from his position, incapacitated or even destroyed to the point of being unable to reestablish, all his mystical actions, including his agreements, began to crumble and fall apart "

so Vision convincing Wanda to be a benevolent presence will hurt Meph and cause the Faustian pact to diminish

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty damn silly that the Astrophysicist is also apparently a genius hacker that can hack into a government agency system in 2 seocnds and break multiple firewalls in just a few minutes.

Everyone's an expert hacker in the MCU. Black Widow was able to do the same shit multiple times. Honestly at this point it's just one of those dumb cinematic shorthand techniques that I've started to tune out.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the show just takes a nosedive in terms of quality whenever it goes outside of the Hex. It goes from a (relatively) subtle Lynchian mixture of suburbia and horror to... a generic sci-fi drama with the subtlety of a jackhammer to the face.

I mean just look at how disparate the two elements are.

Inside the Hex Vision is clearly disturbed by what Wanda is doing, and it's shown through genuinely disturbing scenes like the frozen lady shedding tears that things aren't all good.

Meanwhile outside the Hex the question of morality is thrown out the window because the protagonists are unanimously painted as good despite the fact that they're asking people to sympathise with someone who is literally holding thousands hostage. There's no reason to care because they've gone so hard into making sure that you know exactly what is good and what isn't.

Exactly agreed.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Can't believe I'm defending Darcy, but wasn't she the 'tech' person before she was an astrophysicist? 'Tech' basically meaning she's portrayed engaging with electronic devices a lot in each movie she's appeared in lol. Still, I think the precedent is there, so her Hollywood Hacking didn't really bother me.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... you don't bring in Emma Caulfield, who was in way more than just Buffy, and have her bleed red blood in a black and white world and act all suspicious and stuff and have that not mean anything. There is in fact a Marvel character called Arcanna Jones that's married to a Phil Jones (the name of Dottie's husband in Westview) and she goes by the superhero name Moonglow and is one of the members of the Squadron Supreme. Given that nothing is a coincidence in the MCU, maybe that means something.

Slayven once asked "why Westview?" and I think it was home to a witch's coven before Wanda showed up and took over. I think Agatha Harkness, Arcanna Jones and perhaps many other witches were living in Westview and tried to welcome Wanda into their town and something went horribly wrong.
I'm 100% on board with this theory, and it's what I posted some 60 pages back, that I think this involves a coven of witches. What I would like it to be would be some kind of deal with Mephisto and then they deliver it (the twins maybe) to him but at an expense. Maybe there'll be dealing with all of Mephisto, the coven and Wanda.

I agree with all the criticism of the SWORD parts, it's so weakly executed compared to the rest of the show, and it's something I really feared when the first set photos came out some months back. I really dislike this whole thing with "big organizations investigating with a cliche bad guy." Combined with having a very limited amount of time already with the show weekly is what has so far stopped it from firing all the way to the top of the MCU. Here's hoping they can land the show properly in the last 3 episodes.

It's been a thrill with the weekly discussions and theorizing. And the sitcom parts are some of what I've enjoyed the most in anything MCU.

Last edited:

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why they self banned, but I agree with Plum. I get what they are trying to do, but they aren't doing it well. Jimmy assaulting a government agent isn't sold well; Hayward is comically 80s Bad Authority Guy: Darcy is the best hacker on the planet; Monica undersells danger to herself and others. I get they they only have so much time, but these beats are under baked. In sharp contrast to the sitcom stuff, which is obviously lovingly put together. It does help that the performances are at a minimum solid (Heyward) to excellent (Monica).

It doesn't stop me from being obsessed with the show and thinking it's the best MCU thing since Black Panther. Yes I said it, I like this better than IW/Endgame so far.
I just want to back this up. The stuff inside the Hex is so good and the stuff outside of it is such a weird decline in quality in comparison.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vision will make her see that she isn't alone and still has friends out there, that she still has something to live for. He is a pure soul, he will convince her to help the people.

I think it'll be one of those things where it takes more than one person. Vision will convince Wanda that she needs to let him go and Clint will convince her that there are still people in the world that care about her. Even though she's clearly doing something terrible by expanding the Hex, she only did it to save Vision because she didn't know where he was. It's kinda the same with Westview itself - I think Wanda knows it's wrong but if she has to choose between Vision and everyone else, she'll choose Vision.

She's not doing this out of a malicious intent to harm people, which she told Dottie, and Pietro implied she was giving people a good life, but she's still dressing them up in outfits and toying with them so she can turn her back on reality and we've seen first hand what happens to the people she forgets about. Now that she has expanded the Hex, even more people are going to be frozen in place. Unable to move, unable to speak, unable to eat... how long before they die? So it doesn't really matter what Wanda's intentions are - she is hurting people and she needs to stop.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's an expert hacker in the MCU. Black Widow was able to do the same shit multiple times. Honestly at this point it's just one of those dumb cinematic shorthand techniques that I've started to tune out.
It's the same way in the comics.

Super spies can hack because it's part of being a super spy.

Any super genius in a specific field is also competent enough in other fields to do things as a fill in if the super genius in that field isn't readily available.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the show just takes a nosedive in terms of quality whenever it goes outside of the Hex. It goes from a (relatively) subtle Lynchian mixture of suburbia and horror to... a generic sci-fi drama with the subtlety of a jackhammer to the face.

I mean just look at how disparate the two elements are.

Inside the Hex Vision is clearly disturbed by what Wanda is doing, and it's shown through genuinely disturbing scenes like the frozen lady shedding tears that things aren't all good.

Meanwhile outside the Hex the question of morality is thrown out the window because the protagonists are unanimously painted as good despite the fact that they're asking people to sympathise with someone who is literally holding thousands hostage. There's no reason to care because they've gone so hard into making sure that you know exactly what is good and what isn't.

Yeah Monica's character gives me hard tonal whiplash. You would think the character who was actually kidnapped and mindcontrolled by Wanda would be the least sympathetic to her, not the most. I understand that they are implying Monica can relate to Wanda's grief with her own grief for her mother's death, but since it all happened off-screen it doesn't feel believable.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Did Monica really have a plan besides trying to go back into the hex? Would it have ended any other way than her getting yeeted again? She didn't even seem to care that her biological makeup has been completely re-written possibly permanently.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Yeah Monica's character gives me hard tonal whiplash. You would think the character who was actually kidnapped and mindcontrolled by Wanda would be the least sympathetic to her, not the most. I understand that they are implying Monica can relate to Wanda's grief with her own grief for her mother's death, but since it all happened off-screen it doesn't feel believable.
I'm thinking that Monica's circumstances in the hex were different from everyone else's due to her willingly going inside.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Did Monica really have a plan besides trying to go back into the hex? Would it have ended any other way than her getting yeeted again? She didn't even seem to care that her biological makeup has been completely re-written possibly permanently.
I think her plan pretty much revolves around trying to get through with Wanda, perhaps trying to coax her to actual leave the Warp. But we'll see what happens, though.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of there with you. I wouldn't say that it's stupid and disappointing if they do it, because a lot depends on the execution, but yeah…it makes no sense to cast a different actor, who played the same character in a different series of movies, if you do nothing with it. If you're going to have Quicksilver turnout to be a villain in disguise, wouldn't that be way more effective if you have the MCU actor in the role? Why the double switch otherwise? I mean, Wanda and the audience would already know something's up with not-Pietro Pietro, so that would undercut the reveal that Pietro is actually someone else in disguise. Right? Is there something I'm missing here?
I always get the feeling that the people who don't want this to be Fox Quicksilver are the ones that absolute hate anything Marvel not done by Marvel Studios, like they don't Fox Marvel to be mixed with the 'pure' MCU, when in fact we already know that Dr Strange 2 and Spider-Man 3 with deal with the Multiverse, actors from previous films will return to reprise their role (Alfred Molina, Wilham Dafoe, Andrew Garfield), we also know that Patrick Stewart turned down the chance to reprise his role as Charles Xavier (confirmed by the actor himself), Deadpool 3 is confirmed to be in MCU, all that and some people still in denial about the Multiverse.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
I always get the feeling that the people who don't want this to be Fox Quicksilver are the ones that absolute hate anything Marvel not done by Marvel Studios, like they don't Fox Marvel to be mixed with the 'pure' MCU, when in fact we already know that Dr Strange 2 and Spider-Man 3 with deal with the Multiverse, actors from previous films will return to reprise their role (Alfred Molina, Wilham Dafoe, Andrew Garfield), we also know that Patrick Stewart turned down the chance to reprise his role as Charles Xavier (confirmed by the actor himself), Deadpool 3 is confirmed to be in MCU, all that and some people still in denial about the Multiverse.

I know the multiverse stuff is coming. I just don't think they'll simply transplant a whole bunch of characters and actors from the Foxverse. And so I think the Pietro in Wandavision being portrayed by his Foxverse actor is probably very little more than an Easter egg combined with a riff on the sitcom trope of recast actors. So far, he's clearly not acting like he did in the X-Men films.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I think it'll be one of those things where it takes more than one person. Vision will convince Wanda that she needs to let him go and Clint will convince her that there are still people in the world that care about her. Even though she's clearly doing something terrible by expanding the Hex, she only did it to save Vision because she didn't know where he was. It's kinda the same with Westview itself - I think Wanda knows it's wrong but if she has to choose between Vision and everyone else, she'll choose Vision.

She's not doing this out of a malicious intent to harm people, which she told Dottie, and Pietro implied she was giving people a good life, but she's still dressing them up in outfits and toying with them so she can turn her back on reality and we've seen first hand what happens to the people she forgets about. Now that she has expanded the Hex, even more people are going to be frozen in place. Unable to move, unable to speak, unable to eat... how long before they die? So it doesn't really matter what Wanda's intentions are - she is hurting people and she needs to stop.
Yea.

I kinda don't want to see any avengers though, I want Wanda to deal with this grief alone and having conquered it alone become greater. Maybe Strange comes to help, but he wouldn't be a major influence on her. Woo/Darcy/Monica seem like a decent enough group for Wanda to tell herself "omg I've gone too far..."
She is a strong woman and I want to see her exult in that. Not that having friends is a weakness but that overcoming her grief mostly by herself shows her strong moral compass and character as befits the superhero we've been shown through the movies.

Nov 27, 2020
So far, he's clearly not acting like he did in the X-Men films.

I wouldn't say that. His "cool uncle" shtick seems consistent with an older version of the way he was presented in DOFP, and the casual way he used his powers when they went trick or treating was reminiscent of the playful things he'd do while at super speed in the x-movies. He has more in common with that version of the character than the ATJ version, for sure.

EDIT: I'm not 100% convinced that he'd be the Fox QS, but I am leaning towards him being a version pulled from the multiverse though. I really don't think he's a villain in disguise.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
I always get the feeling that the people who don't want this to be Fox Quicksilver are the ones that absolute hate anything Marvel not done by Marvel Studios, like they don't Fox Marvel to be mixed with the 'pure' MCU,
That's an odd feeling man. I love some of the Marvel movies that aren't done by Marvel Studios. But there is no reason to pull in Fox characters when they have had their time in the sun. Add to that the Fox movies were a creative and commercial disaster at the end with Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse, and you really have no reason to incorporate Fox characters. The MCU can and should do its own thing. It's not like Toby or Andrew will actually return as Spider-Man permanently. They'll cameo in Tom Holland's movie.

But, the main reason that this doesn't seem to be Fox Quicksilver is because... he isn't portrayed to be that at all. There has been zero indication that this character knows anything about the Fox universe. There are zero references to 'his' Quicksilver. So, yeah, the casting of Peters seems to be a meta joke. Who knows, episode 7 may reveal he's actually from the Fox universe, it's possible. But for now? No reason to believe he is.

Arkaine

Oct 30, 2017
I think because the MCU Pietro was dead, she pulled Pietro from the Fox universe but implanted all the memories she has of him.
So it is Fox Pietro but with MCU Pietro memories and I think in coming episodes this will be revealed.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Now I think it, the small flirt scene between Wanda and Vision remind me to Raul and Consuela scene from Malcom in the middle lmao

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Wasn't she sucked into the hex though when touching the barrier. The beekeeper went in willingly.
That's true but regardless, her circumstances were different and the mind control was not nearly as strong on Monica as it was on everyone else.

It's also why I'm skeptical that Wanda is the one mind controlling everyone. The only two accounts of her being directly responsible are Monica, who wasn't under the same spell as everyone else, and Agnes, who is extremely suspicious.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
But, the main reason that this doesn't seem to be Fox Quicksilver is because... he isn't portrayed to be that at all. There has been zero indication that this character knows anything about the Fox universe. There are zero references to 'his' Quicksilver. So, yeah, the casting of Peters seems to be a meta joke. Who knows, episode 7 may reveal he's actually from the Fox universe, it's possible. But for now? No reason to believe he is.

Every character in the hex isn't behaving like themselves at all though, until Vision pokes them in the head. So you can't discount Quicksilver just yet.