• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
VR peeps sure are defensive lol. I say that as someone who actually likes VR. I wish I could use it more actually but my current living quarters are a fucking nightmare for VR :(.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Its obviously not a vr replacement, but it is very cool. I cant wait to see the consumer level applications.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
VR surrounds you in a 360-degree volume with the ability to directly manipulate objects, in a conveniently compact, user-friendly, portable, affordable package.

I'm not about to severely downgrade my experience just because it achieves an effect without headwear.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this could replace TVs unless you want to watch all your shows in diorama form.
Of course you'll be able to watch 2D content in these theoretical TVs.

At some point in the future, TVs need to do more than just increase the resolution and better the colors, and this seems like the next big step. Unless AR goggles replace TVs first but I just can't see a big family sitting around with every one of them wearing a different goggle.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this competes with VR at all. The hand tracking gave me Kinect vibes, and not in a good way.

I could maybe see something like this be used in an art exhibit, digital signage, or as a decoration. Doesn't seem very practical for anything though.

Unless you're trying to display an object at a 1:1 scale this doesn't seem like it offers much for architects or CAD. What would a monitor with 3D add for me that I wouldn't already have with a 2D display or AR?

As the tech gets smaller, I could totally see phones just having a screen like this. Smartphones have graphics power to spare for what they usually show. But being able to take 3D photos with a fancy camera, or even just have a home screen where the app icons visibly float above the background as a hook seems like something someone would do just because it's cool tech. Apple would be my guess here.

This does obviously not fill the same niche as VR, but if the right product comes along, I could see this get big enough to just become standard for screens.

Amazon already tried a 3D display with their Fire Phone and no one seemed to care.

3D has been a gimmick since it's inception. Very rarely does anyone do anything meaningful with it.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Of course you'll be able to watch 2D content in these theoretical TVs.

At some point in the future, TVs need to do more than just increase the resolution and better the colors, and this seems like the next big step. Unless AR goggles replace TVs first but I just can't see a big family sitting around with every one of them wearing a different goggle.
I can't see a family putting what amounts to a giant fish tank in their living room either. They're going to have to figure out a way to give the illusion of form and depth to multiple viewers without actually having to take up that space

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I can't see a family putting what amounts to a giant fish tank in their living room either. They're going to have to figure out a way to give the illusion of form and depth to multiple viewers without actually having to take up that space

To be fair, this is what TV's were for most people until the 21st century.

hqdefault.jpg

Regardless, the 8k unit in the video looked like it was only a few inches thick. What's the issue?

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Man, I would love to maybe have it on phones if it involves being able to somehow make high quality 3D photos and videos (not like in the 3DS). But I just can't see the tech becoming mainstream enough that all phones have it so it gets proper support... then again, we are starting to get a lot of really cool tech pertaining to depth perception, AR and these kind of screens, so who knows...

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a reverse of VR , I'm sure they compliments .

Biggest question is real waifu when

the-it-girl-in-japanese-music-right-now-is-actually-a-hologram.jpg

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
This is cool, but will be nowhere near as big as VR is going to be. As a next gen evolution of the TV Screen, this might find mainstream success eventually. Or it might flop like 3D TVs did. VR is going to be a revolution in how we engage with each other and content. Anyone who disagrees should watch this talk by Michael Abrash (this version doesn't stutter)-

Gpur

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
There are amazing technologies out there.
I remember this crazy guy with Wii and Wiimote

but the tech that I'm following since the beginning is this one:

Oct 27, 2017
Movie studios already hate 4k and so far they've been so slow implementing it. Imagine telling them they have to film now wit this in mind. Or having to buy several PCs in order to make a game run.
It's very cool, but for it to work we would need an incredible breakthrough in computational power.

Oct 27, 2017
This method was talked about almost 10 years ago when 3d became popular. This is where 3d TV's were heading before they died. It was always the goal to have multiple angle glasses-less be that tracked multiple people and angles to give a 3d perspective.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are amazing technologies out there.
I remember this crazy guy with Wii and Wiimote

but the tech that I'm following since the beginning is this one:

Johnny lee went on to work on Kinect. His main "rival" in the space would be Oliver Kreylos, who went on to do insane things with Kinect and VR combined:

What OP is amazed at, has existed in various forms for many years now.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
But hey, at least we'll have looking glass tech ready for the Typhon invasion. Now we just need to build the space station.

axy0f0m5ovaz.png

Gpur

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Johnny lee went on to work on Kinect. His main "rival" in the space would be Oliver Kreylos, who went on to do insane things with Kinect and VR combined:

What OP is amazed at, has existed in various forms for many years now.

Crazy. Give resources to this kind of guys! I'm impressed that seems to be no lag at all, looks so smooth.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
If accessibility and sharability is the only metric that you lean on, then sure. Otherwise, there is nothing done here that VR isn't doing better.

However, even with those two points in mind, VR has it's own ways of offering accessibility and sharing things. Plenty of housebound people would find infinitely more use with VR than they would with Looking Glass. One lets them actually go places, and the other lets them recreate small scenes and objects in true 3D. One lets them share experiences with people in the room, and the other lets them share experiences with people across the world.
I love how neither VR nor 3D AR have gone mainstream yet, but here you guys are already practicing the fanboy wars over the two technologies! The internet never fails to disappoint!

Edit: to be fair to VR fans the thread title is flamey so I can see why you would come into the thread to defend VR...

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It's a small and rather shallow 3D display. Cool tech for sure, but it got nothing on VR until it's room-scale and walk-in like a Star Trek holodeck.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Funny to see this thread pop up.

We've done a great deal of work in this area, and last summer helped Oddworld develop some cool Hologram pieces for their Pre-E3 presser. This was the first prototype that I whipped up just for fun:

in addition to motion controls, we interfaced a camera with one of the displays, which actually transmitted the viewer's face onto the screen in the hologram:

In fact, to test the interactivity further, I even ported one of our early VR titles to the display over a weekend.

The tech is interesting and certainly in its infancy. But with further iteration it will become much more common. It's nowhere near ready to compete with anything, as the resolution is somewhat limited because you're rendering a mosaic of high resolution elements that has to be stitched together within a prism, so GPU wise it's far, far more demanding than VR and has limits in terms of viewing angle and frame rate.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I love how neither VR nor 3D AR have gone mainstream yet, but here you guys are already practicing the fanboy wars over the two technologies! The internet never fails to disappoint!

Edit: to be fair to VR fans the thread title is flamey so I can see why you would come into the thread to defend VR...
There literally no fanboyism going on here. It's simple quantifiable facts.

Are people not allowed to say computers are better than calculators in almost every way?

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
That makes no sense, but feel free to believe otherwise. That exact direction is simply not where anything is heading. Even most companies working on AR technology would agree with me.
And this is not a proto fanboyism exchange! Riiight! 😉 ...of course you are allowed to discuss...I am just highly amused at how quickly these tribes form..

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
And this is not a proto fanboyism exchange! Riiight! 😉 ...of course you are allowed to discuss...I am just highly amused at how quickly these tribes form..
You have invented your own definition of fanboyism, one in which stating facts and trends is somehow going too far.

I do apologize for saying logical things. I guess we're not allowed to be logical in this thread.

There is a literal market goal for the majority of VR and AR companies, and it absolutely does not revolve around just AR even among the AR companies, so this is where my comment suggesting it makes no sense comes in, because it flys in the face of what most AR companies are striving towards.

It would be like saying handhelds are the future of Nintendo consoles, despite the fact that Switch is a hybrid.

You want to know what this goal is for all these companies? It's not VR headsets, and it's not AR headsets; it's MR headsets. The convergence of the two in one device, which would mean if one goes mainstream, the other does as well. Again, sorry for the logic.

Doopl

Oct 25, 2017
I have the smaller 8.9" Looking Glass dev kit. It's really neat, amazing how realistic the 3D is even at that lower resolution. And unlike the 8k one shown in the video, it has a thick crystal area which is perfect for 3D objects appearing as if they are 3D objects bouncing around within that area. Really really hard on processing power - I have a laptop with a GTX 1070 inside, running a Looking Glass app keeps the fan at max speed.

For people saying it's like the 3DS but really wasteful, it's not, because the point is every tiny head motion changes your view of what you are looking at, whereas 3DS just had a single set 3D view. It makes it just a lot more realistic. Also, the "45 views" thing is actually optional - a developer can choose to use fewer views if they want (there's another standard setting for example, 32 views). Fewer views would make the image a little higher resolution, and easier to process on your computer, but decrease the apparent realism because it increases the chances of seeing the image stay at one point of view and then shift when you move your head.
New 3DS has eye tracking so there shouldn't be anything to prevent it from adjusting the rendered perspectives based on eye position. As far as I know there isn't any software that actually does that though.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
You have invented your own definition of fanboyism, one in which stating facts and trends is somehow going too far.

I do apologize for saying logical things. I guess we're not allowed to be logical in this thread.

There is a literal market goal for the majority of VR and AR companies, and it absolutely does not revolve around just AR even among the AR companies, so this is where my comment suggesting it makes no sense comes in, because it flys in the face of what most AR companies are striving towards.

It would be like saying handhelds are the future of Nintendo consoles, despite the fact that Switch is a hybrid.

You want to know what this goal is for all these companies? It's not VR headsets, and it's not AR headsets; it's MR headsets. The convergence of the two in one device, which would mean if one goes mainstream, the other does as well. Again, sorry for the logic.
Not stating facts and trends but getting all worked up and emotional in favour of one "side"...please don't get upset on my account.. I wasn't singling you out...it's part of the social media culture now unfortunately..

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Not stating facts and trends but getting all worked up and emotional in favour of one "side"...please don't get upset on my account.. I wasn't singling you out...it's part of the social media culture now unfortunately..
Please do not read emotional intent through text. It doesn't work that well.

I agree that fanboyism is rampant, but what specifically makes fanboyism a thing is illogical thoughts where nothing gets through to them despite thoughts that often make no sense. These are the people with twitter handles like "PLAYSTATION 4 RULES XBOX SUX" or "XBOX SERIES X MASTER RACE"

Last edited:

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Please do not read emotional intent through text. It doesn't work that well.
Ok I am only doing this because you challenged me. I was not going to write anymore. I did not want to pick on you.

But
"That makes no sense, but feel free to believe otherwise"
And
"I do apologize for saying logical things. I guess we're not allowed to be logical in this thread."
Are both emotionally charged responses...neither is arguing facts dispassionately...but that is ok..you do you.. I am going to stop now...

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Ok I am only doing this because you challenged me. I was not going to write anymore. I did not want to pick on you.

But
"That makes no sense, but feel free to believe otherwise"
And
"I do apologize for saying logical things. I guess we're not allowed to be logical in this thread."
Are both emotionally charged responses...neither is arguing facts dispassionately...but that is ok..you do you.. I am going to stop now...
Despite writing those comments, I didn't feel any emotion in writing them. I just typed, and that was that. It's not something that got me worked up.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You know, with the grabbing stuff line I was thinking more of what I was doing in VR just before that, grabbing a gun and a magazine, stuffing bullets into that magazine and hanging the gun over my shoulder. Not "reach in and poke the thing but never leave the tiny square it's in".

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Hilarious...the demo of reaching in and manipulating the object comes in the first two mins...way to comment without bothering to inform yourself
That's not really reaching in- the display's housing is in the way of physically intersecting your hand directly with the virtual objects, so it has to offset a virtual copy of your hand to a new location in the interactive space.

Having accurate 1:1 alignment of your real hands and virtual hands allows a direct tap into our muscle memory for the most intuitive and immediate sense of control.

GentleFavoriteBrontosaurus.gif