• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Like it wasn't already a entertainment for those gross people now they have a platform just for it?

They have been around for quite a while, also in this specific lawsuit. Remember that video of Beard saying [about the law twitter guys] "make their lifes miserable please"? That was him directing his request at Kiwi Farms.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017

It is amazing where we started and what now is being discussed. The goalposts have entirely left the planet at this point.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, I might actually do some research and create a topic during the weekend. I just found it weird how this show is popular even among people in a forum like this, one would thing most would find it absolutely distasteful. Sorry for the derail, gonna keep following the developments of the whole Vic shitshow.

There's an anime feminist themes OT around here somewhere if you look

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Off topic, why is that "Rikita" guy called screech? Is this fool related to Saved by the Bell? Like I read there is a new show and for some reason I though of this asshole Nick. Lol. I was like "man too bad Screech turned into a dumb ass wannabe lawyer". I'm hoping one day there is a play using the released script of the court case.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic, why is that "Rikita" guy called screech? Is this fool related to Saved by the Bell? Like I read there is a new show and for some reason I though of this asshole Nick. Lol. I was like "man too bad Screech turned into a dumb ass wannabe lawyer". I'm hoping one day there is a play using the released script of the court case.
it's a nickname I think Greg made up for him as he reminds him of Screech.

Xenotome

Aug 31, 2019
Quoting headnotes from Westlaw instead of looking at the actual language in the case to see if there is some kind of swerve or catch in the fact pattern and relevant holding

totally normal things lawyers do

And definitely takes a week for you to find the language you could misinterpret to support your grift. People have been mentioning his appeal costs since the hearing and $12M has never actually come up from anybody. But of course he'd blow it out of proportion...

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And definitely takes a week for you to find the language you could misinterpret to support your grift. People have been mentioning his appeal costs since the hearing and $12M has never actually come up from anybody. But of course he'd blow it out of proportion...
Actually, the "$12 million" number was mentioned... when it was discovered that Screech and Beard have an existing business relationship worth something significantly more than $12 million, which they most likely failed to mention to Vic when they teamed up to start grifting him.

Nov 3, 2017
Quoting headnotes from Westlaw instead of looking at the actual language in the case to see if there is some kind of swerve or catch in the fact pattern and relevant holding

totally normal things lawyers do

More and more he reminds me of a student who hasn't put in the work. It's fucking bonkers there is a cohort of people who think he's an authority on law

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
More and more he reminds me of a student who hasn't put in the work. It's fucking bonkers there is a cohort of people who think he's an authority on law

Are we even sure he has a law degree? I know he's not a member of a bar, and I seem to recall someone mentioning that he couldn't find any record that Screech got his degree.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BFL was teasing a video that Toei would apparently take huge issue with, something extremely scandalous. Turned out it was just Chris Sabat doing a judge campaign ad in character as Vegeta. Pretty much nothing compared to Vic's Fullmetal Fantasy and Star Trek nonsense.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
BFL was teasing a video that Toei would apparently take huge issue with, something extremely scandalous. Turned out it was just Chris Sabat doing a judge campaign ad in character as Vegeta. Pretty much nothing compared to Vic's Fullmetal Fantasy and Star Trek nonsense.

...Can these people really be that dumb? I feel like I've been transported to another reality where down is up and up is right.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Because clearly the judge is a goldfish and is easily distracted so that kind of distraction will be enough to...
I got nothing but I tried.

effort%20star.jpg

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel, aren't they? Actually I think they've scraped past the barrel at this point
Yeah, they're definitely not at the bottom of the barrel, and haven't been for some time.

If anything, they're scraping up everything that leaked out of the barrel, and as scrambling to soak it up with a dirty rag in order to present it to their clamoring supporters.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, just realized it was Friday so I guess we will see if the ConVic's are that dumb again and try to mass false flag greg's account. Again.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Oh no this is clearly a huge thing that will surely damage Funimation's reputation not only in court but also with Toei. It's over everyone, it was good while it lasted but I don't think they can recover from this astronomical blow.

Am I doing this right?

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
There is a certain segment of fandom that would've like to see Funimation and all their dubbing fail even before all this started, so I'm not surprised there's some scorched earth stuff going on.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If every single other person who has ever worked on DBZ ends up getting fired because of their terrible behavior uncovered by the Vic stans, then Vic will have to get his job back. He'll just have to!
Because there's only like 10 VA in the whole of the US, right?
There is a certain segment of fandom that would've like to see Funimation and all their dubbing fail even before all this started, so I'm not surprised there's some scorched earth stuff going on.
Allegedly it was a pretty shitty place to work with.
But since this isn't a wrongful termination or hostile work environement lawsuit this has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
It's more whataboutism and mudslinging. I'm not a major dub fan but I've always appreciated Funimation's place in the market. Going scorched earth on Funimation and other contracted workers just continues to pile on evidence that these people don't care about any "divide" in the community. Losing Funimation would lose a major publisher of home media distribution, not to mention a lot of other things.

I find the voice over ad campaign a NBD. Is it a little sketch? Yeah. Maybe Sabat needs a slap on the wrist for it. The degree of misconduct there is nowhere near approaching what Vic had done.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Because there's only like 10 VA in the whole of the US, right?

Allegedly it was a pretty shitty place to work with.
But since this isn't a wrongful termination or hostile work environement lawsuit this has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
I'm a little confused by your reaction, so I'll try restating.

Short version: A portion of old-school Funimation haters (extreme subtitle fans/fansubbers/dub purists) from two decades ago are probably using Vic's lawsuit as a way to signal boost anything they think can hurt Funi's relationship with Toei, not necessarily caring if it helps Vic at all. The ISWV crowd is probably just lashing out with whatever they can get their hands on, and the Funi haters are the ones that have the straws to grasp.

Shorter version: Some Dragonball Z fans used to really hate Funimation. Apparently still do.

To be extra clear: Lots of reasonable people dislike Funimation for plenty of different reasons. I'm just referring to the unreasonable haters here. :)

Losing Funimation would lose a major publisher of home media distribution, not to mention a lot of other things.
That's what some are hoping for. Funimation loses the license, the fansub justifications go through the roof. There's definitely a (very) small crowd that would be thrilled if all the anime localizers went out of business tomorrow and everyone went to fansubs and became more niche. I was seeing complaints on twitter just yesterday that Crunchyroll made anime too accessible and they longed for the old days when it was much harder to get.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm a little confused by your reaction, so I'll try restating.

Short version: A portion of old-school Funimation haters (extreme subtitle fans/fansubbers/dub purists) from two decades ago are probably using Vic's lawsuit as a way to signal boost anything they think can hurt Funi's relationship with Toei, not necessarily caring if it helps Vic at all. The ISWV crowd is probably just lashing out with whatever they can get their hands on, and the Funi haters are the ones that have the straws to grasp.

Shorter version: Some Dragonball Z fans used to really hate Funimation. Apparently still do.

To be extra clear: Lots of reasonable people dislike Funimation for plenty of different reasons. I'm just referring to the unreasonable haters here. :)
Oh I know, I'm just saying that the unreasonable haters are using people who have reasonable grievances as cover.
It would be relevant to the lawsuit if the lolsuit wasn't so badly constructed to begin with. I mean if it wasn't what it was.
so it's just blatant shit to hurt Funi because some people hate Funi THAT much.

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
That's what some are hoping for. Funimation loses the license, the fansub justifications go through the roof. There's definitely a (very) small crowd that would be thrilled if all the anime localizers went out of business tomorrow and everyone went to fansubs and became more niche. I was seeing complaints on twitter just yesterday that Crunchyroll made anime too accessible and they longed for the old days when it was much harder to get.
Starting to get tangential but jfc that's an awful take. As someone who had to deal with VHS and other things, I want more companies to bring more stuff not make it a PITA. The scorched earth helps no one.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the fact there arent many fansubbers nowadays. Most of them just rip it from streaming sites now. These people are idiots.

Xenotome

Aug 31, 2019
J

Frankly this is more likely to piss of Toei more than some bad leaked internal jokes. Sabat doesn't own that character or voice and using then unsanctioned for a political ad is a big no go. Again. Nothing to do with Vic, but this was a stupid idea on Chris's part.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Frankly this is more likely to piss of Toei more than some bad leaked internal jokes. Sabat doesn't own that character or voice and using then unsanctioned for a political ad is a big no go. Again. Nothing to do with Vic, but this was a stupid idea on Chris's part.

He doesn't own the character or the voice? I mean, he's doing a voice but it's still his voice.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
J

I'd be surprised if Toei even remotely cares.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017

It's one of those things I'm willing to bet Toei might have told Sabat not to do again, but it's not something I think Toei would be terribly concerned over.

Hell, I'm willing to bet even the chuds realized this considering how they're not squawking over it.

Speaking of the chuds...

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those things I'm willing to bet Toei might have told Sabat not to do again, but it's not something I think Toei would be terribly concerned over.

Hell, I'm willing to bet even the chuds realized this considering how they're not squawking over it.

Speaking of the chuds...

So they're prank calling him now? Yeesh

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised if Toei even remotely cares.

Ehhhh...don't be so sure. Toei's lawyers are EXTREMELY protective of Sean's Goku voice, to the point at which Sean generally shuts people down whenever they ask him to do the voice in any situation where he might be recorded because the Goku voice is basically Toei's property.

Vegeta may be a slightly different scenario, or Sean may just be using "Toei will be mad at me" as an excuse to not do the voice in public because he's a bit of an ass, but there is at least a history of the IP holders being extremely protective of Dragonball character voices.