• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: This seems like a bombshell. Ty mentioned that he needed 3 more weeks to go through all the filed material, after he send the defense a detailed list of why he wanted them to strike various exhibits. So he *has* gone through all the material and even claimed on the livestream he was ready for the 8th of August. Then turns around and tells the court that he needs a further 3 weeks to read it all. He also added a lie about why he asked the defense for the extension.

The Judge is not going to be pleased by this at all. If there's one thing I've learned from actual practicing lawyers, it's that judges really have zero sense of humor about lawyers trying to pull shit like this. Usually results in incredibly purple 50-page rulings complete with verbal beatdowns and popoffs you rarely see out of the FGC.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This certainly is a day for new filings. This one has some of that delicious Beard-slapping we need so much more of:

Edit: This seems like a bombshell. Ty mentioned that he needed 3 more weeks to go through all the filed material, after he send the defense a detailed list of why he wanted them to strike various exhibits. So he *has* gone through all the material and even claimed on the livestream he was ready for the 8th of August. Then turns around and tells the court that he needs a further 3 weeks to read it all. He also added a lie about why he asked the defense for the extension.

As usual Mr. Dunford has a good walkthrough (@questauthority) that also goes through why the lawyers in the thread are reacting a lot to this filing.

Seems like this will be exhibit 1 when the bar complaints roll in once the case is done. Not to mention how the judge will react to it.

would those 3 weeks be billable to Vic?

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
What does Vic get out of letting this clusterfuck continue? Does he not realize his lawyer's awful? Is pride forcing him to keep going? I just don't get it.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
would those 3 weeks be billable to Vic?

It seems that yes, they will be. I mean he can also bill for the hours spent drafting his lie to the court.

According to Nick, who we all know is super trustworthy, the money is in an IOLTA account and can only be used by Beard for legal work. He has never provided any proof of this claim as far as I know.

Remember Vic himself is not involved in that GFM, he was rather specific about that in his deposition. So the money is collected by by Nick and payed out to Beard, without anyone else involved in the specifics.

So for all we know Nicks booze might also be payed for by the GFM.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Christ, I'm watching The Boys, and Homelander would've made my skin crawl either way, but the fact that he looks like a Vic Superman, right down to the petty immaturity and sexual harassment, really bumps it up a notch.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, I'm watching The Boys, and Homelander would've made my skin crawl either way, but the fact that he looks like a Vic Superman, right down to the petty immaturity and sexual harassment, really bumps it up a notch.

I was about to post this.
He is his spitting image and acts accordingly.

60e7c54ac64b6d2945a8a00c0fbf0693.png

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to read both sides, the Threadnought and Kiwifarms, and it's like two different realities. Eventually it has to resolve down to one and I'm pretty sure it's going to go how most of law twitter says but JFC this isn't going to go away with this case.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
This has turned into the legal version of a game of "Stop Hitting Yourself!".

Gleefully anticipating Percy's newest attempt at legaling.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Mr. Dunford to the rescue. As you can see he will lawsplain, so check him out for more stuff:

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
On a final note, while I personally do appreciate you taking tactical direction from a fourth year attorney, if you want your Motion(s) to have the impact the 4th year so desperately desires, you probably should tell him not to broadcast what you are about to do on Youtube.

Sean Lemoine

GOD DAMN, SON. Someone send Percy a gallon of Bactine, he needs it bad.

EDIT: As Mike Dunford is relating, the Amended Motion is more of the same, just for some reason with glorious Sean Lemoine smackdowns appended because, I don't know, Percy is an exhibitionist masochist?

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
If you are filing a Motion for Sanctions, that wholly undermines any assertion about preparation time. A multi-page Sanctions motion would indicate that rather than spend time responding to the Ant-Slapps, you have spent the last ten (10) days working on a Sanctions motion that is, premature, at best. But you are free to file whatever you (or your advisor) want to file, as long as our opposition is duly noted.

Sean Lemoine

Lemoine is so fucking good at this.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

(2) Earlier today, I said that the argument that a letter that was filed with the court, via ECF, and served on opposing counsel was "too dumb even for Ty." That, too, was obviously - I don't even know how this is possible, but it was - wrong.

This is in reference to something that came out from Screech, talking about an ex parte letter from opposing council that was going to be some kind of bombshell.

Except it wasn't, of course, because the so-called ex parte letter had been filed with the court and given to Percy. As Mr. Dunford says above.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I feel so iffy about all the claims that Rekieta and Beard are just grifters Because they're so genuinely stupid and evil that I don't know how necessary the grifting is to explain their behaviour. They definitely are grifting, but if they were just grifters, they could do it without humiliating themselves repeatedly.

Beard has repeatedly filed pointless motions and slapped his own terrible correspondence in as supporting material, including the opposing attorneys telling him how stupid the idea of filing the motion is and why it isn't going to work. He's been publicly broadcasting his strategy even after the fact that he was doing so was brought up in the case. And now we have him basically admitting that he lied.

Nick's a little better off since he's not directly involved, but he's still managed to let it slip that he didn't know what "publishing" means in the context of defamation, or even that libel and slander are forms of defamation, as a result of this.

Last edited:

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I feel so iffy about all the claims that Rekieta and Beard are just grifters. Because they're so genuinely stupid and evil that I don't know how necessary the grifting is to explain their behaviour. Certainly, if they were just grifters, they could do it without humiliating themselves repeatedly.

Beard has repeatedly filed pointless motions and slapped his own terrible correspondence in as supporting material, including the opposing attorneys telling him how stupid the idea of filing the motion is and why it isn't going to work. He's been publicly broadcasting his strategy even after the fact that he was doing so was brought up in the case. And now we have him basically admitting that he lied.

Nick's a little better off since he's not directly involved, but he's still managed to let it slip that he didn't know what "publishing" means in the context of defamation, or even that libel and slander are forms of defamation, as a result of this.

What is the other option? They are not talented enough to do anything with this case.

The only thing they are winning from this is money? Maybe a more permanent NickBeard Youtube grifting channel.

But they aren't getting law careers based on this.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
man i guess i gotta go through all my old con stuff and dump all the stuff this shit-stain signed for me. I feel bad too cause most of that stuff has multiple sigs from people like Caitlin, greg and Monica herself

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What is the other option? They are not talented enough to do anything with this case.

The only thing they are winning from this is money? Maybe a more permanent NickBeard Youtube grifting channel.

But they aren't getting law careers based on this.
At this point they probably don't have an option, but they didn't have a good position at the start, either.

My guess is less that they specifically went "ah well, we can't win, let's just wring out as much money from Vic as we can" as that they were genuinely champing at the bit to defend some pedo molester guy they knew, but were also pretty happy to fleece him while doing that because they're horrible people and have no issue with fucking over their friends either.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
man i guess i gotta go through all my old con stuff and dump all the stuff this shit-stain signed for me. I feel bad too cause most of that stuff has multiple sigs from people like Caitlin, greg and Monica herself

Nah man. He might be a piece of shit, but no reason to toss the good stuff with the bad. Maybe a "nope" sticker over his?

At this point they probably don't have an option, but they didn't have a good position at the start, either.

My guess is less that they specifically went "ah well, we can't win, let's just wring out as much money from Vic as we can" as that they were genuinely champing at the bit to defend some pedo molester guy they knew, but were also pretty happy to fleece him while doing that because they're horrible people and have no issue with fucking over their friends either.

That sounds a lot like grifting.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I feel so iffy about all the claims that Rekieta and Beard are just grifters Because they're so genuinely stupid and evil that I don't know how necessary the grifting is to explain their behaviour. They definitely are grifting, but if they were just grifters, they could do it without humiliating themselves repeatedly.

Yeah, the way this has quickly gone from just a bad case (that was laughable at times, despite being worrying) into this horribly incompetent mess has me wondering about that too. From afar, I kinda got the feeling that Nick believes what he's selling; unfortunately, it's not exactly like people getting rabidly angry at women online is uncommon. But it was hard to tell how much Beard believed in all that too, and so similarly how much of it was grifting or not.

At this point, I'm feeling... possibly a grift at the start, possibly being so mistaken about the law that he (and his colleagues...?) somehow thought it was a good case, possibly both. And either way he's just so incredibly incompetent that he is finding himself unable to climb out of the hole he's dug for himself.

Like it's totally possible he thought they could win, but would profit off a loss anyway if it happened, so they should take the case no matter what. Or thought that they'd lose, but would profit while also gaining attention/publicity for the effort. And if those were true, he seemingly completely overestimated his ability to gracefully handle things anywhere near competently/safely as a loss approached. To a rather extreme degree.

Which is to say: if they're grifters, it doesn't mean they have to be competent grifters.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
From afar, I kinda got the feeling that Nick believes what he's selling; unfortunately, it's not exactly like people getting rabidly angry at women online is uncommon. But it was hard to tell how much Beard believed in all that too, and so similarly how much of it was grifting or not.
There have been a few moments where I was looking at one filing or another from Ty Beard and it looks exactly like something that some uneducated moron would be tweeting at Greg Doucette. At which point, I'm wondering, wait. Are the stupid internet lawyers getting their wonky ideas of the law from Beard? Did Beard read some dumb tweets and take them at face value? How is the actual lawyer not better than the internet ones?

Last edited:

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
There have been a few moments where I was looking at one filing or another from Ty Beard and it looks exactly like something that some uneducated moron would be tweeting at Greg Doucette. At which point, I'm wondering, wait. Are the stupid internet lawyers getting their wonky ideas of the law from Beard? Did Beard read some dumb tweets and take them at face value?

It seems like Beards many years of lawyering were spent drafting property contracts and whatnot. I seem to remember a Westlaw search saying 3 cases or some such (this is just my shitty memory of some tweet, dont ever use this number in a conversation :P).

So yes, it seems like Beard is indeed getting his ideas from either kiwi farms or nick and his users. This ex parte thing especially seems to be him grasping at straws, since he suddenly realized he fucked up and saw "friendly" people saying that was a way out.

It is still grifting, just impressively incompetent and amazingly stupid grifting.

To a point where the whole disbarring angle might suddenly take on a whole new life.

Edit: Adding this ex parte "motherfucking really?" tweet from Dunford.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Why are people defending someone like this.

He doesn't give a shit about a single one of them.

Edit: NVM guessing it's because he voiced a character they like lmao

Last edited:

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
There have been a few moments where I was looking at one filing or another from Ty Beard and it looks exactly like something that some uneducated moron would be tweeting at Greg Doucette. At which point, I'm wondering, wait. Are the stupid internet lawyers getting their wonky ideas of the law from Beard? Did Beard read some dumb tweets and take them at face value? How is the actual lawyer not better than the internet ones?

Because lawyers come in many specialties. Ty Beard's specialty has been, up to this point, estate planning. It's a sedate life being a transactional attorney. They usually don't see the inside of courtrooms because either they're in back office reading piles and piles of text to make sure the other party didn't dick them in the fine print or writing pages and pages of fine print for a client. I know of one that got burnt out and quit because it's so ridiculously boring. Now he's trying his hand at litigation, maybe because feminists piss him off or something and he's trying to fight the good fight, and it clearly shows he is out of his depth against experienced litigators.

It's the only reason I can think of for someone to be dumb enough to not realize something isn't ex parte if all the parties are cordially informed. Not to mention all the other gaffes and faux pas.

It's like doctors. Sure, a dermatologist is a doctor and a neurosurgeon is a doctor but if you ask a dermatologist to remove a brain tumor you're going to have a bad time even though the dermatologist may be confident and says "what? I'm a doctor."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but you ask a dermatologist to remove a brain tumor, does the dermatologist try explain to the nurses on site what a brain is? I remind, we literally had Ty Beard try to explain what the word "shit" meant, as if it hadn't been the English language since the fifth century.

I'm just saying, there's a certain point where I feel you look at a person who does incredibly stupid things for no plausible purpose and have to conclude that perhaps that person is genuinely really fucking dumb.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Ok, this is starting to get hilarious:

Link to doc should be incoming shortly.

Absolute clownshoes.

Because lawyers come in many specialties. Ty Beard's specialty has been, up to this point, estate planning. It's a sedate life being a transactional attorney. They usually don't see the inside of courtrooms because either they're in back office reading piles and piles of text to make sure the other party didn't dick them in the fine print or writing pages and pages of fine print for a client. I know of one that got burnt out and quit because it's so ridiculously boring. Now he's trying his hand at litigation, maybe because feminists piss him off or something and he's trying to fight the good fight, and it clearly shows he is out of his depth against experienced litigators.

Hold the phone, really? I'm aware he wasn't involved with litigation previously -- hence how inept he's been -- but...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The two "lawyers" are just idiots caught up in a perceived war against SJWs. That's really all there is to it.

They might have a degree of intelligence, but they're so blinded by their hate that it doesn't matter.

Nov 3, 2017

It's the only reason I can think of for someone to be dumb enough to not realize something isn't ex parte if all the parties are cordially informed. Not to mention all the other gaffes and faux pas.

It's like doctors. Sure, a dermatologist is a doctor and a neurosurgeon is a doctor but if you ask a dermatologist to remove a brain tumor you're going to have a bad time even though the dermatologist may be confident and says "what? I'm a doctor."

The thing that blows my mind though is that Ty is making ridiculously basic errors. The infamous piece of shit letter, not standing before the Judge, seemingly not even discussing a fee arrangement with his client...this isn't specific to litigators. He's getting basic shit we learned in law school wrong.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that blows my mind though is that Ty is making ridiculously basic errors. The infamous piece of shit letter, not standing before the Judge, seemingly not even discussing a fee arrangement with his client...this isn't specific to litigators. He's getting basic shit we learned in law school wrong.

Yeah but people forget stuff they don't practice over the years. Like yeah, most of law school is litigation orientated, but if you spend your days working out of an office and barely seeing the inside of a courtroom or not drafting motions and documents for litigation, it's probably trivial to forget. Then when you try your hand at it again you're bound to fuck everything up like a first year.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
Yeah but people forget stuff they don't practice over the years. Like yeah, most of law school is litigation orientated, but if you spend your days working out of an office and barely seeing the inside of a courtroom or not drafting motions and documents for litigation, it's probably trivial to forget. Then when you try your hand at it again you're bound to fuck everything up like a first year.
I feel like you may be giving Ty way too much credit.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
People haven't even brought up the most actually damaging thing in this motion yet. The "ex parte" stuff exposes how far out of his depth Beard is, but I don't think it's actually all that harmful. It's just very, very dumb.

What actually might land him in hot water is the fact that he doubled down on his lie to the judge. As was pointed out earlier, in his initial motion for continuance, Beard told the judge that he asked for more time because he needed that time to read all the exhibits. But, in the Rial/Toye motion filed to oppose the continuance, Beard's emails were included where he told the attorneys that he intended to bring motions against them all to strike their exhibits and to bring sanctions, pointing to specific exhibits from those motions that he wanted to strike. Both of these things cannot simultaneously be true. If he knew enough about the exhibits to be able to describe specifically why each one named should be struck, then he's already read them.

After this contradiction was pointed out, a normal person might amend their initial claim to the judge to back away from their misrepresentation. Instead, Beard maintained it, and signed and notarized a verification under oath of his claim that he needed more time to read the exhibits. To be fair, he included additional emails that have him eventually retreating to the position that "it is unreasonable to dump 600+ pages of material on us and then schedule two additional hearings within 13 business days," but if he was able to review those materials enough to point out where (he erroneously believed) they needed to be struck, I'm not sure that will help.

It's not good to lie to judges. It's also not good to lie to judges under oath.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... Beard has essentially accused defense counsel AND the fucking JUDGE of "unethical behaviour"?

Bold strategy cotton...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So... Beard has essentially accused defense counsel AND the fucking JUDGE of "unethical behaviour"?

Bold strategy cotton...
These people believe in this.

They're the kind of person who truly believes they're in a moral war with SJWs, and that they're oppressed by the evils of equality, etc...

True believers are the scariest of their kind.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Yeah, the people I know that are super pro Vic are doing it because they genuinely believe SJWs are trying to silence and "cancel" people using cries of misogyny or racism or whatever the fuck, and that they need to fight back. There's internalized misogyny, for many/most, sure, but it's not necessarily intentional. In their minds they're fighting the good fight. To them Vic is a victim and the claims about him are unsubstantiated and designed by SJWs to ruin his career. This is the latest in a series of SJW attacks and somebody finally is fighting back, and they're eager to eat up every little turd that Nick and Beard squeeze out that validates them and makes them feel cool. They're the good guys in a real life anime, fighting agains the despicable villains that are Monica et al. There's plenty of anime fans or fans of Vic in general that are along for the ride and have been converted, too.

This lawsuit is just the current topic. No matter what the result is, this farce will continue. It will follow all the parties involved forever, and as soon as another big figure is accused and lawyers up the same people will be back in the spotlight saying the same shit. This is the new normal.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it wouldn't be a Ty filing if he didn't inexplicably include emails unrelated to his point which only serve to make him look worse.

Also it seems like the defendants lawyers have zero patience or benefit of the doubt left for him.

Yeah, the people I know that are super pro Vic are doing it because they genuinely believe SJWs are trying to silence and "cancel" people using cries of misogyny or racism or whatever the fuck, and that they need to fight back. There's internalized misogyny, for many/most, sure, but it's not necessarily intentional. In their minds they're fighting the good fight. To them Vic is a victim and the claims about him are unsubstantiated and designed by SJWs to ruin his career. This is the latest in a series of SJW attacks and somebody finally is fighting back, and they're eager to eat up every little turd that Nick and Beard squeeze out that validates them and makes them feel cool. They're the good guys in a real life anime, fighting agains the despicable villains that are Monica et al. There's plenty of anime fans or fans of Vic in general that are along for the ride and have been converted, too.

This lawsuit is just the current topic. No matter what the result is, this farce will continue. It will follow all the parties involved forever, and as soon as another big figure is accused and lawyers up the same people will be back in the spotlight saying the same shit. This is the new normal.
That such a bad way of think when things like sexual harassment comes up and it leads to people taking advantage of people and crate a cycle of harm for the real victim. But like always it people who are already in a safe place that think that way and never look to step in someone else shoes.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"Your honour, I'd like to draw your attention to Exhibit A, a list of all the girls that have rejected me over the past week. It's a quite long, so I took the liberty of indexing it by the barnyard animal they said I looked like."

"Mr. Beard, I fail to see how this does anything to make a case for your client."

"Uh, I guess I agree, your honour. In that case, let's move straight on to Exhibit B, a video of a toddler kicking my ass. I try to take her ice cream cone and practically get left in a body bag."