• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I have trouble seeing embeds on my laptop; if it's in text form does someone mind quoting it?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not only that but the fact that they go so far as to basically say 'hey we had him last year and didn't have any problems' feels like a shitty thing to say in the face of these allegations.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I have trouble seeing embeds on my laptop; if it's in text form does someone mind quoting it?
It's a screenshot of a letter.

LYYmu07.png

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's not great. The specific mention of lack of previous incidents does feel like it could be feeding into that side, but it may be true that they don't have that information, which could also be due to failures of previous leadership.

I can't entirely blame them for wanting to wash their hands of this though, even if I think they went about it in a bad way. My main concern is if they use this to justify bringing Vic back as that actually creates a threat to the guests at the con.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Our Twitterer is going in on TEKKO's responses right now.

#TeamTekko doesn't care because the current board didn't see it themselves. This is why Vic got away so long. What I posted was from 2 former managers. Literally a half dozen managers spoke up on this. Hold conventions accountable. You do not get to wait until your watch.

Responses include some tone deaf tweets from an account claiming to be TEKKO's CEO, Peter Gaudoin. Said account was just created.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
This thread seriously needs more threadmarks.

We could stand to do that, since none of the actual legal stuff is covered. There was another thread for the Twitter lawyers talking about how ridiculous the whole thing was, but most people just kept discussing here.

But also, so much of what's happened lately is kinda... day to day significant, but not necessarily meaningful longterm? It's a little hard to tell what people need to be updated on, I guess.

Probably need to cover start of the lawsuit, the people involved, and then mainly the recent motion to compel stuff. Maybe a brief FAQ for some of the more common arguments/misunderstandings being spread too.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Our Twitterer is going in on TEKKO's responses right now.

#TeamTekko doesn't care because the current board didn't see it themselves. This is why Vic got away so long. What I posted was from 2 former managers. Literally a half dozen managers spoke up on this. Hold conventions accountable. You do not get to wait until your watch.

Responses include some tone deaf tweets from an account claiming to be TEKKO's CEO, Peter Gaudoin. Said account was just created.

Peter Gaudoin, the apparent CEO of Tekko, seems to have made a Twitter account, and has been making an absolute ass of himself.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I guess people being in danger of sexual harassment are just "opinions", now. Trump's America, everybody.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Peter Gaudoin, the apparent CEO of Tekko, seems to have made a Twitter account, and has been making an absolute ass of himself.

Well shit... I was gonna say we should be wary of this account since it was created yesterday and its only tweets are replies, but reading through them it seems like it actually is him.

What the fuck is it about Vic that makes con heads show their asses?!

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
you know what they should do at comic con is they should announce the new season of the Super anime with a retelling of the broly movie...and also announce Broly's new voice actor

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
you know what they should do at comic con is they should announce the new season of the Super anime with a retelling of the broly movie...and also announce Broly's new voice actor
All rumors I have seen have pointed towards them not actually taking the time to retell the Broly movie.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Okay, if this is actually the guy behind this con, this is the point where he loses my sympathy. The reason people "shout from the rooftops" is because women have been sharing stories that have been kept silent. The reason women have been sharing their stories is because they're looking for new channels with which to seek a solution to the problem. The reason they're seeking new channels is because the legitimate channels have failed to do anything to stop it.

Now, for anyone else, that would just be ignorant. As the person in charge of said legitimate channel, he's the one who should be showing responsibility and trying to fix the problem. Instead he's trying to silence those that have sought a solution.

Bryce's screams aren't good enough imo

As an Indian man, I've long felt that any voice actor is only one good curry-induced bowel movement away from being able to play Broly.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Anime clubs can get very awkward and incel-y (speaking from personal experience), so this isn't a shock.
Ya, my experience with anime clubs was in the late-'90s/early-'00s, which was a much different time. It was 90% awkward and frustrated 16~45 year old men, but the incel rage hadn't culturally metastasized yet. Anyway, the presidents of a couple of the clubs I attended let their status of king of the nerds go completely to their heads, and there was a lot of drama and in-fighting. Especially so when the first anime convention in our city led to a schizm with lots of con backstabbing over the years.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like when you're so bad at PR that you have to ask people not to show everyone what you said, that's a good time for a reminder that "shut the fuck up" is always an option.

"For every good thing that you do, you do something equally shitty" reminded me of that Reddit compilation, where I looked up the redditor and he said KickVic's hands aren't clean either because they're calling Vic a pedo. The standard thing where you want to be superior and above it all without actually acknowledging that sometimes one side actually has more grounding than the other.

Then he goes into "the truth is, I very much understand what that hopelessness feels like" and I'm starting to wonder if this is an Anime Matsuri situation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Like I said on Twitter, you can't fucking sue an organization for just saying "We're not inviting this person any longer" and nothing else. That's all it'd take. Literally all it'd take. And anyone paying attention to the case who isn't brainwashed or a Comicsgate sympathizer (there is a difference believe it or not), it's obvious how horribly Vic's lawyer's are fumbling, and because of the massive graveyard of skeletons in his metaphorical closet.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell was that Tekko guy thinking wading into things the way he did?

I could almost have sympathised with him initially if not for him making it so weirdly personal about that woman he's arguing with.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said on Twitter, you can't fucking sue an organization for just saying "We're not inviting this person any longer" and nothing else. That's all it'd take. Literally all it'd take. And anyone paying attention to the case who isn't brainwashed or a Comicsgate sympathizer (there is a difference believe it or not), it's obvious how horribly Vic's lawyer's are fumbling, and because of the massive graveyard of skeletons in his metaphorical closet.
What the hell was that Tekko guy thinking wading into things the way he did?

I could almost have sympathised with him initially if not for him making it so weirdly personal about that woman he's arguing with.
The way he's been behaving makes a lot more sense when you think it's driven by some sort of personal issue, possibly one that makes him sympathetic to Vic or unsympathetic to his accusers. His actions don't make any sense when you think of them from the business angle because they don't seem to be meant in service of that.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Like...

I would be vaguely sympathetic towards the dude at first, in that he is getting things dropped on him that happened during a time when he was not really involved with the con. And I can see how being hit by that, you might react poorly. But then that response... Nah. Making it all about his pain, while being dismissive and talking about it like it's just some divisive split in opinion rather than people trying to deal with a predator...

it reads like the comments sections of some websites I can think of, where people try to politely post absolute nonsense like that, decrying "internet lynchings" or whatever, mindlessly arguing in favor of being nice to horrible people instead of actually taking a look at what they've done

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The worst thing is that she did contact them first via e-mail and got nothing. This was tried to be done civilly and privately.

Then once she goes public, instant response. Funny, that.

It was also pointed out to me all was needed was for the people who were concerned about what happened in '04/'07 was a private confirmation, not even a public one, which, yeah, I kinda agree with. It's old drama that needn't have been brought up except in the court case if it weren't a public safety issue. But then radio silence so... welp.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Major Midwestern convention ACen (Anime Central) apparently banned Vic but he kept coming back:

Fact: 2009 @animecentral I somehow was the person in charge of American guest invites in GR while still doing the schedule. He wasn't actually supposed to be there because he had been banned from the convention in 2005, where he circumvented GR (@gavv) after 2004.

And here's how Vic treated one of his guest handlers:

When I had to handle him on the floor personally, I got to be the bad guy to make his talks end on time. I had to deal with him being a creep & jerk to me. Whatever. I knew it. I was given to him specifically BECAUSE I was 'cute' and was famous for enduring bullshit.

His idea of 'thanks' when it is called down to panels was a hug that then goes down to an ass grab. His little way of getting back at me I suspect to show that he had power over me despite I was the one to take care of the ask.

I ended up crying in the GR kitchen that night. Worst part: I had done such a good job it was seen as the first 'good' Vic year (ie, I took the brunt) and I was forced to send him an invite in 2010. Because I had been able to wrangle him.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That AnimeCentral story is thoroughly awful. It really hammers in how Vic is the sort of person who acts solely in service of his own megalomania; he probably became a cop so that he could lord his power over others.

Between Peter Gaudoin's self-pity and turning this situation, and other's assessments of him, I'm wondering if he might be the sort of person who blames the world for no one liking him when it's really just because he's a huge unrepentant asshole.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That AnimeCentral story is thoroughly awful. It really hammers in how Vic is the sort of person who acts solely in service of his own megalomania; he probably became a cop so that he could lord his power over others.

Wasn't he a teacher at one point too? Would certainly fit the profile.

Also, I'd love to get the lowdown on how he ended up leaving those two professions too. Shame there's probably no way to find out.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he a teacher at one point too? Would certainly fit the profile.

Also, I'd love to get the lowdown on how he ended up leaving those two professions too. Shame there's probably no way to find out.
For the police one, going by his resume - it's available on his website - he used to do videos for his police force, so there's a pretty clear transition to entertainment from there.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused as to how he was banned from AnimeCentral yet he was allowed back? It's not really explained in the tweet, at least in my comprehension.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a report that apparently YouTube's algorithm is "suppressing" videos about Vic:

Mod edit: Links to a banned site removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
The article suggests that these videos (for and against) are running up against some algorithm of YouTube's which is flagging/demonitizing those videos due to content - specifically the discussions of sexual harassment.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Oh damn, didn't know that. I found that article by searching Vic's name in the Google News search.
Yeah I didn't knew it either at first when I got a suggestion from my mobile browser about it a few days ago. As soon as I saw another article that was pro-ComicsGate I noooped out of there.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
"youtube is demonetizing my videos"

*retweets thequartering*

i wonder why