• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
"not a burner"

::gets "alt account" for his title::

tenor.gif

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
I mean, yeah. I said shit I'm not proud of ten years ago. Apologized for it many times, too. I'm not expecting people to like me or even to forgive me. I'm totally okay with that.

Regardless, the shitty things I said ten years ago have literally nothing to do with Vic.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Kind of pissed the local puertorican Comic-Con booked this sexual offender. At the last minute too. Seems the convention planners saw it as a blessing how this known VA was suddenly so unoccupied to assist their convention.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
>Funimation Productions
LMFAO way to fuckin' undermine your own case.

Funimation itself did nothing to defame Vic. It simply said they did a internal investigation and decided to cut ties.

The only possible case Vic COULD have is that one dub he was supposed to work on but got the boot from, but without knowing what's in Funi contracts and given it'd be stupid of them to not include a "we can cancel contract at any time from our side" clause.... I can only assume there's literally nothing.

Monica and Jamie in particular would require him proving his interactions with them either never happened or were totally consensual- and if he was serious about clearing his name instead of coasting on "I'm a good little Christian boy, trust me!!!" he'd provide those receipts, PRIOR to Blackface lawyer hitting him up with the fundraiser and Beard's number.

Maybe there is a case against Toye. I haven't kept up with his tweets. But when 3 out of 4 have no real case against them, and we know like 400 of Toye's tweets are the "evidence", all 400 which couldn't possibly ALL be libelous...

Well. "Innocent until proven guilty" is what they've been saying all this time, right?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the lawyer called blackface lawyer? Not been following. Is it as simple as he's a bigot who has images of him in blackface somewhere?

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Honestly shocked they took it this far.

What's their case though?
giphy.gif

What kind of broad ass lawsuit are they trying to sell?

From a reply to me on Kanzenshuu: "Defamation, Tortious Interference with Existing Contracts, Tortious Interference with Prospective Business Relations, Civil Conspiracy, and Vicarious Liability." Here's a page from the petition:

Yeah, uh, good luck with that!

Well. "Innocent until proven guilty" is what they've been saying all this time, right?

Haha, yup. Best part is they won't accept the inevitable outcome.

Speaking of Mr. Toye, there's this little gem:

D4eYLIVX4AE2bHq.png:large

Why is the lawyer called blackface lawyer? Not been following. Is it as simple as he's a bigot who has images of him in blackface somewhere?

He did this once.
Dz5SK4NVsAA2LLh.png

Cue endless "it was just a joke!!!" apologism.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Mr. Toye, there's this little gem:

D4eYLIVX4AE2bHq.png:large
Yeah, I'm reading the petition now and holy fuck they're actually running with the conspiracy of Ron working at Funimation lmfao!!!!

There's also this gem:

The subject matter in controversy is within the jurisdictional limits of this Court. Plaintiff seeks monetary relief over $1,000,000.00.

He is legit suing for over a million dollars...

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Remember though how long it took for Jim Sterling to fight off Digital Homicide in court, and DigiHom's claims were just as frivolous. This is gonna drag on for 12-18 months.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like they're going for damages? It's probably going to be easy to calculate - they're just going to say "look at all the money Vic lost for losing his jobs" - but if Vic is going on the attack, the burden of proof's going to be on him. I had originally thought that he would look for legal aid in defense against potential legal action because that would be easier.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
For example, in 2018, Vic was cast as the English voice for "Broly," the lead character in the fantasy martial arts anime film Dragon Ball Super: Broly. The cast also included Monica. Dragon Ball Super: Broly was released in the U.S. on January 16, 2019 and was an instant financial success for Funimation, earning $7 million on its first day and $24 million within the first five days of its premier.

They're claiming that Broly was the lead character.

On January 16, 2019, the day Dragon Ball Super: Broly released in the U.S., Monica "liked" and "retweeted" the Tweet of someone with the Twitter handle "hanleia" that accused Vic of being "a homophobic rude asshole who has been creepy to underage female fans for over ten years…."

(16) The next day, Monica liked and retweeted two Tweets by Kaylyn Saucedo (who posts under the user name "Marzgurl") that accused Vic of "great volumes of sexual misconduct," urged Funimation to "reconsider hiring Vic Mignogna as a voice actor in the future," and initiated the hashtag "#KickVic."4

(17) The repeated attention that Monica, Jamie, and even Funimation's agents, employees or business partners, gave hanleia's and Marzgurl's accusations caused their Tweets to "go viral."5 About the same time, one or more Defendants began actively defaming Vic directly to anime conventions, speaking of investigations and Vic being fired.

(18) Barely a week later, Tammi Denbow ("Denbow"), a Sony executive, informed Vic she was investigating three allegations of sexual harassment against him. One Monica alleged to have occurred six years prior at a convention (not at any Funimation or Sony facility or event) when, after she wrote her name on a jelly bean and gave to him, Vic ate the jelly bean and joked that he "ate Monica"; Vic denied any sexual suggestion (he was joking in response to a fan's asking if he could be poisoned by the ink). Another alleged inappropriate conduct between Vic and two fans (not Funimation or Sony employees) at a convention three years prior (again not at any Funimation or Sony facility or event); Vic emphatically denied any inappropriate conduct. The third allegation involved a single, consensual kiss between Vic and a Funimation employee who was Vic's friend.

(35) In fact, Ronald (a Funimation agent or employee) has tweeted more than 80 times that Vic sexually assaulted or assaulted Monica, more than 10 times that Vic sexually assaulted or assaulted three of his "very close friends," more than 10 times that Vic has been accused of hundreds and possibly thousands of assaults, and at least 17 times that Vic is a "predator."

This petition is fucking wiiiiiiild. They keep insisting that Ron has something to do with Funimation.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, what's this petition? Images and stuff aren't loading for me.

They're claiming that Broly was the lead character.

Uhhhh. I can kiiiiinda see that argument, there is a chunk at the beginning at least which focuses on him. But his voice was definitely not the main draw. Broly as interpreted by Toriyama was the main draw.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, wasn't Vic not even employed by Funimation, or am I wrong on that? So he can't even say they fired him because they at most didn't renew his contract?

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, wasn't Vic not even employed by Funimation, or am I wrong on that? So he can't even say they fired him because they at most didn't renew his contract?
well he was on the morose mononokean as one of the actors, but most of the people who voice for funimation are contractors and i'm sure vic is no different...so still not fired i guess

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Hey MarzGurl! They mentioned you! Your famous now.

Fake edit: seriously can't believe they're going ahead with this. This reminds me of the Digital Homicide v Jim Sterling case... Except Funimation has a ton more money for lawyers.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to mentally put this all together. "Civil conspiracy", so it seems like he's declaring that all of these parties colluded to cause him some kind of damage that he should be compensated for. "Tortious Interference with Existing Contracts" and "Tortious Interference with Prospective Business Relations" suggest that they ruined his business with Funimation, which I guess is what the conspiracy is about. "Defamation" is obvious, I guess it's the method that the conspiracy is supposed to have used. "Vicarious Liability" means that Funimation is also responsible because their other actors did this?

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Well I gotta give them some credit for actually going through with this. Whether or not this will actually lead anywhere I'm not 100% sure but I'll definitely wait and see. Seems to me like it's a kind of case where they're gonna try and force a settlement to pretend they've won like a lot of BS suits but I'll definitely wait and see on this one.

...but you know the more I think about this, what if this isn't really about sexual harassment and is more of a threat to any company that still uses him as a VA that would dare think of letting him go? This whole thing is ridiculous and it doesn't take someone terribly familiar with law to recognize this, but I'm sure we've all noticed it's a power thing here and he's suing Funimation who hasn't said squat as a company about this situation, but attempting to make a ridiculously long lawsuit that would spook most smaller studios who Vic may still be doing work for? All speculation on my part but it's striking me as a possibility.

Last edited:

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that they are going to sue using those dumbass conspiracy theories is amazing.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Anime is a style of Japanese film and television animation often dubbed for U.S. audiences
Posts on the social media platform Twitter.com are called "Tweets"; persons "follow" Twitter users to track the content posted on the user's account. The terms "Tweet," "retweet" and variations thereof refer to the act of posting content on one's Twitter account. A user that "retweets" content shares another's Tweet to her or his followers; it is commonly understood that a retweet implies approval or support for the original Tweet. Additionally, Tweets can be "liked" which indicates the person "liking" the Tweet appreciates its content. Unless a Twitter account is private, all Tweets and "retweets" are visible to anyone on the internet.

Okay, this might be important, but it's hilarious to me that this petition includes these.

Vic denied any sexual suggestion (he was joking in response to a fan's asking if he could be poisoned by the ink).
Vic emphatically denied any inappropriate conduct.

Is this all he has to claim the falsehood of the statement? Especially considering that the petition itself also mentions that the defendants were retweeting accusations from outsiders:

On January 16, 2019, the day
Dragon Ball Super: Broly
released in the U.S., Monica "liked" and "retweeted" the Tweet of someone with the Twitter handle "hanleia" that accused Vic of being "a homophobic rude asshole who has been creepy to underage female fans for over ten years…."
The next day, Monica liked and retweeted two Tweets by Kaylyn Saucedo (who posts under the user name "Marzgurl") that accused Vic of "great volumes of sexual misconduct," urged Funimation to "reconsider hiring Vic Mignogna as a voice actor in the future," and initiated the hashtag "#KickVic."

Next,

The Defendants have tweeted false, defamatory statements about Vic that were published and read by third parties. Indeed, many of the Defendants' tweets are defamatory
per se
. The Defendants knew these statements were false or made them with negligent disregard for their truthfulness. Due to the Defendants' defamation, Vic has suffered actual and consequential damages in excess of the minimal jurisdictional amounts of this Court as well as damage to his reputation.

He's making the claim that that they were intentionally spreading falsehoods in order to defame Vic, so doesn't that ruin his case if there's even reason to believe that they might have plausibly believed the claims? For example, if there were a whole lot of sexual assault allegations out there?