• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I think the reason the pro-Vic movement spread so much is because they throw around "proof" (of questionable veracity) that allegedly discredits the accusers and Funimation plus Blackface Lawyer's stuff while the Kickvic people are about believing victims, years and years worth of accounts, and, you know, the logic of the whole situation. Your average clueless anime fan is more likely to believe the former, especially kids who I assume make up a massive part of the movement.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason the pro-Vic movement spread so much is because they throw around "proof" (of questionable veracity) that allegedly discredits the accusers and Funimation plus Blackface Lawyer's stuff while the Kickvic people are about believing victims, years and years worth of accounts, and, you know, the logic of the whole situation. Your average clueless anime fan is more likely to believe the former, especially kids who I assume make up a massive part of the movement.
A lot of them also take things in the most literal way possible. Reminds me of elementary school kid arguments. It's like a finely crafted parody, but it's actually real and just pathetic.

Doctor_Y

Avenger
Mar 14, 2019
I can't wait for the Dragonball Super to come back and for Broly to be dubbed by someone else, so that it becomes explicitly clear that no one actually gives a shit about the guy that voices Broly.

Honestly? Broly is such a Non-Character. He could be replaced by a rubber chicken.

Then again. I'd love to see Vic replaced by this guy. He got the better screams already.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? Broly is such a Non-Character. He could be replaced by a rubber chicken.

Then again. I'd love to see Vic replaced by this guy. He got the better screams already.

New Broly's nice, and because he's basically a different character and he's new, I don't think anyone's too attached to what he sounds like. Old Broly's the perfect character for Vic though. Shallow, evil, and all set to be replaced by someone better.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
New Broly's nice, and because he's basically a different character and he's new, I don't think anyone's too attached to what he sounds like. Old Broly's the perfect character for Vic though. Shallow, evil, and all set to be replaced by someone better.
Honestly, outside of new Broly's screams I can't remember what he sounded like at all.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, if Vic supporters want to waste their money for nothing, let them.

No matter how much the con makes, I doubt they'll be back next year anyway.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus... I don't even know how to respond to this, other than the person in the image who responded to Rial... Just disgusts me.

Context: Hiromi Tsuru, for people unfamiliar with Dragon Ball as a whole, was the voice actor for Bulma the entire time the series was on air, as well as the movies. She passed away late 2017 (can't remember, but I believe it was heart related) unexpectedly. So yeah, uh.. Terez, she hits the nail on this.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Jesus... I don't even know how to respond to this, other than the person in the image who responded to Rial... Just disgusts me.

Context: Hiromi Tsuru, for people unfamiliar with Dragon Ball as a whole, was the voice actor for Bulma the entire time the series was on air, as well as the movies. She passed away late 2017 (can't remember, but I believe it was heart related) unexpectedly. So yeah, uh.. Terez, she hits the nail on this.

That's how you know that the person just joined the "movement" to own the "SJW's".

He most likely just googled the Name without looking for any additional info.

Because no one who actually knows the name of her JP actress out of passion for the series won't know about her passing

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Blackface lawyer is claiming that lawsuits are coming the monday after Kamehacon.

Who is he suing? What is he suing for? Why is this information being relayed through someone who has nothing to do with the case? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
So aside from that being dumb... is there truth to that Monty Oum stuff? I feel like there would have been a shit storm.
The whole issue with Shane Newville and Monty was a massive shit storm in the Rooster Teeth and RWBY Community. But a lot of pepole disregarded it because Shane was going through a very emotionally devastating part of is life and his extreme bias towards Monty and his work (he gives Miles/Kerry no credit despite them being as important to RWBY as Monty was). Frankly Shane had an unhealthy obsession towards Monty and is work as he felt no one else besides him could continue Monty's work so he clashed with the other members of RT (his actions also caused him his marriage).

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I have no idea what Chuck Huber is on about with "The voice agency knew not to offer me certain roles". Shou Tucker is a grade-A asshole who is so unlike Jesus he'd have gotten supernaturally lit on fire in Old Testament times.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The whole issue with Shane Newville and Monty was a massive shit storm in the Rooster Teeth and RWBY Community. But a lot of pepole disregarded it because Shane was going through a very emotionally devastating part of is life and his extreme bias towards Monty and his work (he gives Miles/Kerry no credit despite them being as important to RWBY as Monty was). Frankly Shane had an unhealthy obsession towards Monty and is work as he felt no one else besides him could continue Monty's work so he clashed with the other members of RT (his actions also caused him his marriage).

And is Shane still working on it or no?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
This is what you take away from this?

Not only is he a christian. But he gets work advice from Vic Mignogna and actually believes that the earth is flat (not even mentioning that he apparently is an asshole to kids?)
Holy fuck! It's like choosing some of the worst things to be and packaging them into a single person.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The whole issue with Shane Newville and Monty was a massive shit storm in the Rooster Teeth and RWBY Community. But a lot of pepole disregarded it because Shane was going through a very emotionally devastating part of is life and his extreme bias towards Monty and his work (he gives Miles/Kerry no credit despite them being as important to RWBY as Monty was). Frankly Shane had an unhealthy obsession towards Monty and is work as he felt no one else besides him could continue Monty's work so he clashed with the other members of RT (his actions als regards mo caused him his marriage).

Add to that, I remember reading Shane's open letter and found his obsession with Monty's wife during the degradation of his own marriage a bit more telling than he thought it would be. Regardless, like others said, this fiasco only ever really gets credibility when parts of the fanbase want to slam RT for the direction the show is going, and given how vital Miles and Kerry were from the get-go, it's a very juvenile opinion at that.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Having just come back from WonderCon this weekend, where there was a Dragon Ball Super booth with a whole lot of Broly, my observations were:

1) Nobody tried to kill me (I know, Vic stans, you're really upset about that, let me just cut you off there since I just got somebody in the last 6 hours telling me to slit my throat)
2) Broly stuff existed, but people weren't swarming the Broly stuff by any means
3) There was no pro-Vic/anti-Vic movement to be seen anywhere

Mind you, WonderCon is a multi-culture event run by the same folks who do San Diego Comic Con. But it sort of made it feel like, in all honesty, for as overwhelming as it all feels online, literally nobody in real life gives a shit. This is not the hill to die on.

This whole thing is just some angry vocal minority of people on the internet, most people have no idea what is going on and anime voice actors are pretty low on the celebrity totem pole.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Not only is he a christian. But he gets work advice from Vic Mignogna and actually believes that the earth is flat (not even mentioning that he apparently is an asshole to kids?)

*looks up*

Q. What is some of your favorite geeky media?
Chuck:
I love Dr. Who. I love Star Wars. I love Star Trek. I love astronomy. Like, I'm more into actual science. I'm like a real science nerd, but I'm a fringe science nerd so I like things like Electric Universe Theory. I'm currently interested in the Bedford Level experiment, which is an experiment in the late 1800s which proved the earth is flat.
Q. Whoa. That's like… psych!
Chuck:
I know! It's blowing my mind. And actually I'm going to try and get Grant to do this myth-busting thing with me. Like, because water goes to level, right? So water is always level. And the earth curves at eight inches per mile and the square of the distance. So that means that at five miles there should be almost a twelve foot bulge in the water. In a twelve mile stretch or five mile stretch, you shouldn't be able to see from one end to the other, like if you were in a canal.
So the Bedford Level experiment was in a canal. And it had one person standing at one point in the canal, and then boats, rafts, stretched out with flags—five foot flags—on them. And that person could see all the flags through the telescope.
Q. Whaaaaaat?
Chuck:
I know! The earth is flat! It's totally flat! And like, some of the pictures they show… for example, from Iron Mt. in New York, you can see the skyline of New York and the skyline of Philadelphia. They're 120 miles apart, and it is perfectly flat between them.
I actually think that what we live in is more akin to a video game. And when you talk about the reality in a video game… Well, a video game has one reality when you're playing it as a player, and has another reality when you're on the sort of topographical map region of it, and then another reality when you're the programmer. So it's both flat and round. You know, it's round when you go up into space because that's how you see it, and then it's actually flat when it's rendering in real time for you.
Q. That's really fascinating. I'm going to have to go look that up now.
Chuck:
Oh, it's great! Look up the "200 Proofs that the Earth is Flat." I saw it and I was like, "My mind is blown! The earth might be flat!"

tenor.gif

aarcane

Oct 27, 2017
Add to that, I remember reading Shane's open letter and found his obsession with Monty's wife during the degradation of his own marriage a bit more telling than he thought it would be. Regardless, like others said, this fiasco only ever really gets credibility when parts of the fanbase want to slam RT for the direction the show is going, and given how vital Miles and Kerry were from the get-go, it's a very juvenile opinion at that.

Yeah, those parts of Shane's letter about Monty's wife were quite troubling to read. The rest of it read like a rambling guide to getting yourself fired and ruining any future job prospects you may have. Sadly, quite a few people took the letter at face value and it gets mentioned frequently in the many clickbait RWBY "criticism" videos that stink up my YouTube recommendations.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
This whole thing is just some angry vocal minority of people on the internet, most people have no idea what is going on and anime voice actors are pretty low on the celebrity totem pole.
Yeah, it was always a vocal minority not willing to do more than online harassment, but still, it only takes that one person who goes to the extreme and we get someone like the scum from the Christchurch shootings.

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with being a Christian. Now if Huber is a close minded abusive, anti-vaccer and doesn't believe in trans rights and the like then that's when it becomes a problem.

OH FOR MOTHERFUCK'S SAKE!!! CAN'T I FUCKING LIKE ANYBODY ANYMORE?!!
This fucking thread is going to make me want to burn half of my Blu Ray collection I swear.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I have no idea what Chuck Huber is on about with "The voice agency knew not to offer me certain roles". Shou Tucker is a grade-A asshole who is so unlike Jesus he'd have gotten supernaturally lit on fire in Old Testament times.
Probably means he can't play any gheaaaeaeaaeayyayyyysszzzz. Just like how Vic claims all his characters are straight.

There's a great scene about this (right-wing Christians refusing to touch anything LGBT but being fine with portraying any other sin) in The Laramie Project where a high school does the play and the kid playing Matthew Shepard says his mom didn't want him playing a gay person because it was a sin. He said something like "I played King Lear last year and he murdered children, and you were okay with that" and got her to relent.

I'm not surprised there are some bigots/dumbasses among Funi's talent pool, really. For one they're mostly white Texans. Can't forget too that Gen Fukunaga is a fundamentalist Christian who had a side gig producing movies for Rick Santorum.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
There's nothing wrong with being a Christian. Now if Huber is a close minded abusive, anti-vaccer and doesn't believe in trans rights and the like then that's when it becomes a problem.

OH FOR MOTHERFUCK'S SAKE!!! CAN'T I FUCKING LIKE ANYBODY ANYMORE?!!

This fucking thread is going to make me want to burn half of my Blu Ray collection I swear.

Is this advice current or from the past?

Oct 25, 2017
So aside from that being dumb... is there truth to that Monty Oum stuff? I feel like there would have been a shit storm.

No.

"Monty never wanted this" is a stupid dogwhistle people use to try to discredit Miles and Kerry who have been working on RWBY with Monty since the beginning or to discredit the possibility of LGBT relationships in the show (even though there is a video interview with Monty clearly saying he supports the idea, and characters might become LGBT if he felt it worked for them). Basically its a shitty way for people to use Monty as a puppet to voice their own opinions, because it stings the people who were actually close to him.

Most of these people probably don't even care about Monty. There was someone who tried to use Monty against Blake's voice actress saying that Monty would have never wanted gay characters, only for the guy to have called Monty a "chink" in another tweet.

Monty's family still supports RT and his brother Neath now plays Ren (who used to be played by Monty).

The only person who doesn't is Monty's wife, but based on Shane's letter I think RT was in the right. Shane complained that his wife should have gotten majority control on RWBY and be a part in the story process and should have been given a role in the show. However, his wife didn't work at RT, everyone else had to audition for their roles in the show even though Monty created characters with people in mind.

And in terms of story, Monty was known for constantly changing his mind and adding stuff. According to Gray Haddock, Neo didn't even exist until one week before her debut. Monty just threw her in there. The Maiden's were an idea he came up with in between V2-3 and Miles and Kerry included it because it was his last idea before he passed away.

Basically the whole "Monty never wanted this" stuff is nonsense.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
No.

"Monty never wanted this" is a stupid dogwhistle people use to try to discredit Miles and Kerry who have been working on RWBY with Monty since the beginning or to discredit the possibility of LGBT relationships in the show (even though there is a video interview with Monty clearly saying he supports the idea, and characters might become LGBT if he felt it worked for them). Basically its a shitty way for people to use Monty as a puppet to voice their own opinions, because it stings the people who were actually close to him.

Most of these people probably don't even care about Monty. There was someone who tried to use Monty against Blake's voice actress saying that Monty would have never wanted gay characters, only for the guy to have called Monty a "chink" in another tweet.

Monty's family still supports RT and his brother Neath now plays Ren (who used to be played by Monty).

The only person who doesn't is Monty's wife, but based on Shane's letter I think RT was in the right. Shane complained that his wife should have gotten majority control on RWBY and be a part in the story process and should have been given a role in the show. However, his wife didn't work at RT, everyone else had to audition for their roles in the show even though Monty created characters with people in mind.

And in terms of story, Monty was known for constantly changing his mind and adding stuff. According to Gray Haddock, Neo didn't even exist until one week before her debut. Monty just threw her in there. The Maiden's were an idea he came up with in between V2-3 and Miles and Kerry included it because it was his last idea before he passed away.

Basically the whole "Monty never wanted this" stuff is nonsense.

Thanks for that overview!