• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
'Were' is the operative word here.

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

A lot of these unsavoury monetary practices have been ushered in by this man.
Yep, practically all the people that gave Sony the good PR launching the PS4 are long gone or in different roles.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I put most of the blame on Sony here for sure. It's a fair assumption that PD would've happily designed the game without all of this MTX horseshit if Sony hadn't pushed them to do so.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Sony deserves the majority of the blame here.
Don't fault Polyphony unnecessarily.
Still don't purchase Gran Turismo 7 until things change.
Return it to the store if you're still able. (I returned my copy - it was still sealed.)
Don't play the game if you own it. Play something else in the interim.
Downvote the game to express your displeasure as a consumer.
Don't harass anyone online (pubs, devs, reviewers, other fans, etc.). Be respectful.
Don't dismiss folks for being upset at feeling the game was misrepresented by glowing reviews.
If you're a reviewer, entertain changing your score or writing a retraction.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
This money grab is so blatant that its just disgusting. If they want to go this route, then make GT a F2P. At least then, we wont feel ripped off.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
That's a well-deserved score! Good thing I dodged that bullet due to Elden Ring.
I put most of the blame on Sony here for sure. It's a fair assumption that PD would've happily designed the game without all of this MTX horseshit if Sony hadn't pushed them to do so.
Yeah, even though since the PS3 games had microtransactions, the game economy wasn't affected by them, so the fact that's happening now makes it obvious that the new leadership at Sony since those games were released were the ones responsible for this decision.

Last edited:

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, even though since the PS3 games had microtransactions, the game economy wasn't affected by them, so the fact that's happening now makes it obvious that the new leadership at Sony since those games were released were the ones responsible for this decision.
Did the PS3 even have credit MTX?

Thinking about GT5, I remember paint chips, but not credits.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
To be frank, this doesn't bode well for those ~10 GaaS games currently in development at SIE.

It's too bad they had to use GT as a testbed and drag the franchise through the mud.

1er tigre

Oct 28, 2017
This entire fiasco reminds me of an era thread, and I finally found it:

Aged like absolute milk, lol. Sony's gonna raise the price of games AND fill em to the brim with MTX. This just sucks all round.
I thought the MTX were a smaller deal in GT7 then they actually were (akin to Forza's old Tokens, which absolutely sucked but werent as prevelant in the game). But the game is INTENTIONALLY designed around mtx, to the grinding needing to get time-limited rotating classic cars, the invitation cars, not being able to sell any cars, the always online..... the game is absolutely built around this entire mechanic.

They got around reviews smartly too. First, they enabled mtx later, a widely used tactic, so whatever. Most reviewers most likely played the GT cafe mode, a bit of online, and then put it down. GT cafe showers you with cars, about a 100 or so, so the "grind" is for the rest of the 300 cars, which went really overlooked in all these reviews, from what I can tell.
This.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
This entire fiasco reminds me of an era thread, and I finally found it:

Aged like absolute milk, lol. Sony's gonna raise the price of games AND fill em to the brim with MTX. This just sucks all round.
I thought the MTX were a smaller deal in GT7 then they actually were (akin to Forza's old Tokens, which absolutely sucked but werent as prevelant in the game). But the game is INTENTIONALLY designed around mtx, to the grinding needing to get time-limited rotating classic cars, the invitation cars, not being able to sell any cars, the always online..... the game is absolutely built around this entire mechanic.

They got around reviews smartly too. First, they enabled mtx later, a widely used tactic, so whatever. Most reviewers most likely played the GT cafe mode, a bit of online, and then put it down. GT cafe showers you with cars, about a 100 or so, so the "grind" is for the rest of the 300 cars, which went really overlooked in all these reviews, from what I can tell.

The thing is, you're extrapolating what GT is doing to Sony's other IP. When Cory said that, GT Sport had already been out and doing the same thing lol, albeit less extreme. I don't see that spreading to their other mainstay titles, seeing as how they've literally dropped 5 games in the last two years that don't have obstructive MTX (or MTX at all). Hell, two of them have had huge content updates for free (Returnal and Tsushima). The game that dropped two weeks before GT7 (Horizon) doesn't have mtx at all

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Did the PS3 even have credit MTX?

Thinking about GT5, I remember paint chips, but not credits.
I think I heard complaints about GT6 having them, but I skipped that one. I remember Shu talking about them, but I honestly don't know when exactly that was. But I at least remember that GT5 had DLC cars, but again, cannot remember if one would instantly get them with the purchase, or if they just became available to buy in the game shop. I remember buying the XL Edition version of the game just to get that DLC that it included on the cheap.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Would the game still be getting panned if they made the entry price free? So whatever one spent on the base game could go towards credits?

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, you're extrapolating what GT is doing to Sony's other IP. When Cory said that, GT Sport had already been out and doing the same thing lol, albeit less extreme. I don't see that spreading to their other mainstay titles, seeing as how they've literally dropped 5 games in the last two years that don't have obstructive MTX (or MTX at all). Hell, two of them have had huge content updates for free (Returnal and Tsushima). The game that dropped two weeks before GT7 (Horizon) doesn't have mtx at all
When Naughty Dog join the exploitative MTX train is the day I'll panic about Sony...

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, straight up bait and switch on reviewers. And now their names and reviews will be viewed as approving of this greed.

More reviewers should walk back their scores.

Was certainly taken aback by the narrator's tone in this video. Sure sounds like they are disappointed.

Would the game still be getting panned if they made the entry price free? So whatever one spent on the base game could go towards credits?

Good point, imho probably not. We'd make fun of the $100 mtx cars but the base game being ftp would have been acceptable.

sha1ashaska22

Sep 4, 2020
We need to see more major outlets posting revised reviews. Sony legitimately shat on their integrity by pulling this bait and switch. But if they leave the 9/10 reviews up, they are basically giving this practice a pass.

They are probably scared to because they might lose exclusive access or whatever (I don't work in the industry) but it would probably at least force Sony to respond if GT7 started getting revised 6/10 reviews on the big sites.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Wow, straight up bait and switch on reviewers. And now their names and reviews will be viewed as approving of this greed.

More reviewers should walk back their scores.
This is really effed up on Sony's part. I'm glad I didn't buy it because I would have been pissed.

This event will prevent me from buying anymore GT games during the first 6 months to a year.

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
QW65K3P.png

Steam doesn't allow review bombing, and I saw reports of generic reviews being removed.
This is not correct, they allow offhtopic reviews, as they call it, but if they detect it's not about the game it won't affect the overall score.

But I don't see how reactions to bad performance/crashes would constitute as "review bombing".

I think it would be a bad idea for Sony to respond to review bombs. You don't want to acknowledge that this is a good method of communication, since the last review bombs on Sony games were about unattractive female characters and having a trans character. Whether or not the protest is legit, responding to it is a legitimizing act.
Once again I don't understand what problem you have with review bombing. The term has lost all its meaning and at this point it's nothing more than a simple reaction to a product's quality. It doesn't inherently mean it's bad, you'll just have deduce what lead to the reaction.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Are reviewers allowed to go back and change a games score to reflect the actual state of affairs? I can understand if it's a few years later but they literally did this immediately after. Just insane.

New patch incoming
Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
Screenshot_20220325-080902_Chrome.jpg

Trying to claw some goodwill back

Just saw that in the OT. And some here were saying that nobody cares about the user reviews on MC.

I still won't buy it right now because I'm dirt poor (not really, but kinda) but it's funny to see how they reacted to this whole mess. They even change the cap on the credits.

Edit:
And also, via future patches:
  • Increase the payout value of limited time rewards as we develop as a live service.
  • Further World Circuit event additions.
  • Addition of Endurance Races to Missions including 24-hour races.
  • Addition of Online Time Trials and awarding of rewards according to the player's difference with the top ranked time.
  • Make it so cars can be sold.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
All complaints about MTX and Online, but still plenty other things to be disappointed in single player wise.

Yep, fundamentally it's fixed none of the issues in GT6 and added a bunch of new ones.

- The weather system is 100% useless, the weather radar usually reacts about half a lap after it starts raining
- The menus (UI) are still designed by someone who actively hates you
- The menus (Cafe) have massive unskippable text segments and videos that are skippable about 50% of the time for some reason.
- Early events especially are short
- There's still no racing because you need a car multiple seconds a minute ahead of the field because
- Races start with the field deliberately and massively spread out
etc etc

It's the single best non-race car physics driving model on the planet still and currently the best all-physics on consoles. But it's a terrible racing sim and still not a great video game. Which makes the MTX worse because what it really is, is a playground and they've locked the roundabout and want you to pay again to take the sandpaper off the slide.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
You'd only have to spend $115 instead of $185 for a McLaren that'd be a huge game changer.
Whilst I'm deeply unhappy with the in-game economy, this type of narrative needs to stop.

You don't have to buy credits, no one is forcing you to do so. If someone is the type of mug to fall for this shit then more power to them. But you're making it sound as if using real cash is the only way to acquire these cars, when it isn't.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
When Naughty Dog join the exploitative MTX train is the day I'll panic about Sony...

I wouldn't call them exploitative but, to be fair, Uncharted 4 had mtx virtual currency and TLOU had mtx guns that the community definitely considered pay-to-win. Was a big issue for many of us who played multiplayer a lot.

They're not exactly strangers to mtx

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I wouldn't call them exploitative but, to be fair, Uncharted 4 had mtx virtual currency and TLOU had mtx guns that the community definitely considered pay-to-win. Was a big issue for many of us who played multiplayer a lot.

They're not exactly strangers to mtx

I completely forgot about the guns in TLOU.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
- There's still no racing because you need a car multiple seconds a minute ahead of the field because
- Races start with the field deliberately and massively spread out

This is honestly my biggest issue. MTX this, Always Online that, the boring ass way SP races are handled so far is worse imo.
Rolling starts every now and then are fun, especially for the Hatchback starter cars it makes sense.
But man, I would really love to do a proper race for once.

What they are doing now, simply isn't racing. It's a glorified time trial against cars that don't even fight back.
If you want to win a 700PP race, all you need to do is get your car up to 699.99 Performance Points and you win with 10 secs to spare (playing on Hard). If I go below 650PP I will have to deliver 5 perfect laps to barely get 3rd place.

Not a big fan tbh and it is a shame because the actual driving is insanely good.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
I think they did it when they increased field size on PS3 because they couldn't let it get into a situation where you had all 16 on screen at once but it has no place now. A rolling start can easily happen in 2 by 2 format rather than 3 seconds ahead by 3 seconds ahead format.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that in the OT. And some here were saying that nobody cares about the user reviews on MC.

I still won't buy it right now because I'm dirt poor (not really, but kinda) but it's funny to see how they reacted to this whole mess. They even change the cap on the credits.
People were talking about this everywhere. You can't say it was simply due to user reviews on MC.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
People were talking about this everywhere. You can't say it was simply due to user reviews on MC.
The scores are one thing, but most of gaming media picking it up is something else.

That and the sentiment reports that every publisher tracks as part of regular internal reporting; I bet they were through the floor last week.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
What are "sentiment reports" ?
A sentiment report is essentially an analysis of all conversation around a topic, to determine if people are positive or negative towards something. It's something that is used in any business/industry that deals with social media (and other forms of media too).

Let's say a tool scans all of the mentions of GT7 on Twitter, and all the replies. If it picks up on words like "low", "expensive", "annoying" etc., then the tool assumes these are negative messages and gives a negative score. Likewise it gives a higher score if lots of the comments are positive.

If we imagine the end result is a score out of 100, you can then track that score over time. If you see any spikes or dips you can plot them on a timeline and determine what caused people to be happy/sad.

This isn't a literal sentiment report but works as an example to illustrate what I'm explaining, tracking the history of review scores on Steam.

See that big drop in late 2019? I know from experience that that was when a new VR feature was added, one that was unfortunately quite buggy at the time. That 2 week dip in April 2020? That's when the servers were down.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Whilst I'm deeply unhappy with the in-game economy, this type of narrative needs to stop.

You don't have to buy credits, no one is forcing you to do so. If someone is the type of mug to fall for this shit then more power to them. But you're making it sound as if using real cash is the only way to acquire these cars, when it isn't.
Why did they change the economy after reviews and then launch two 18m cars back to back when 20m is the max amount that can be held?

Arcoril

Oct 27, 2017
Could you not buy one car, and then play your way back to another 18m cr to buy the second?

Sure, and maybe if you're lucky the other car will still be available for purchase when you're done with the obscene grinding. Or you can just quickly and easily break out your credit card and pay for 20m credits instead. After all, who knows when that car will show up for purchase again?

You can clearly see which method PD is incentivizing. This is why people are upset.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't believe people are still willfully ignoring what's right there in their faces, every time they see that "top-up now" message: the economy of the game is designed to engender FOMO and push MTX. Of course you can "just earn the credits," the reason why people have voiced their distaste for it is because it feels predatory in a way that is usually limited to free-to-play stuff.

And of course, the great shame here is that the game itself, the moment-to-moment racing, the overall presentation are absolutely great.

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
A sentiment report is essentially an analysis of all conversation around a topic, to determine if people are positive or negative towards something. It's something that is used in any business/industry that deals with social media (and other forms of media too).

Let's say a tool scans all of the mentions of GT7 on Twitter, and all the replies. If it picks up on words like "low", "expensive", "annoying" etc., then the tool assumes these are negative messages and gives a negative score. Likewise it gives a higher score if lots of the comments are positive.

If we imagine the end result is a score out of 100, you can then track that score over time. If you see any spikes or dips you can plot them on a timeline and determine what caused people to be happy/sad.

This isn't a literal sentiment report but works as an example to illustrate what I'm explaining, tracking the history of review scores on Steam.

See that big drop in late 2019? I know from experience that that was when a new VR feature was added, one that was unfortunately quite buggy at the time. That 2 week dip in April 2020? That's when the servers were down.

This is super interesting. Thanks for taking the time to explain that. Much appreciated.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I really can't believe people are still willfully ignoring what's right there in their faces, every time they see that "top-up now" message: the economy of the game is designed to engender FOMO and push MTX. Of course you can "just earn the credits," the reason why people have voiced their distaste for it is because it feels predatory in a way that is usually limited to free-to-play stuff.

And of course, the great shame here is that the game itself, the moment-to-moment racing, the overall presentation are absolutely great.
This, plus never forget that most of the game is single player yet it has always online DRM. On a console game. Like, c'mon now.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
We need to see more major outlets posting revised reviews. Sony legitimately shat on their integrity by pulling this bait and switch. But if they leave the 9/10 reviews up, they are basically giving this practice a pass.

They are probably scared to because they might lose exclusive access or whatever (I don't work in the industry) but it would probably at least force Sony to respond if GT7 started getting revised 6/10 reviews on the big sites.

Are reviewers allowed to go back and change a games score to reflect the actual state of affairs? I can understand if it's a few years later but they literally did this immediately after. Just insane.

I posed a similar question in a thread that I created. It received a few varying opinions on the idea, partially due to poor framing of the idea on my part.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-is-the-responsibility-of-major-gaming-sites-reviewers-to-gamers.564658/#post-83990233

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Why did they change the economy after reviews and then launch two 18m cars back to back when 20m is the max amount that can be held?
I'm not suggesting PD aren't way out of wack here. The economy stinks. This type of stuff stinks.

But, it still doesn't change the fact that these vehicles are available without buying credits, irrespective of how much of a grind they are---they're not gated behind a $200 paywall.

Don't get me wrong, it's still utterly bogus what's required to get these cars. But I'm not so worried as invariably they'll all be pretty pants to actually use (if GT Sport was anything to go by). I'm more concerned about the Gr.1/2/3/4 economy and what implications that has for Sport mode.

Last edited:

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not suggest PD aren't way out of wack here. The economy stinks. This type of stuff stinks.

But, it still doesn't change the fact that these vehicles are available without buying credits, irrespective of how much of a grind they are---they're not gated behind a $200 paywall.

Don't get me wrong, it's still utterly bogus what's required to get these cars. But I'm not so worried as invariably they'll all be pretty pants to actually use (if GT Sport was anything to go buy). I'm more concerned about the Gr.1/2/3/4 economy and what implications that has for Sport mode.
I honestly hope they become the meta cars at least then the final warriors might see the light.

All this bollocks started with £2 horse armour. Now you have people defending £150 cars in a game that could be deleted from servers and unplayable at any point in the future.