• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
So all the people since 2015 that constantly jump to conclusions based on out of context information and end up looking foolish? I don't expect him to straight up win, but this isn't the climax and Granolah isn't the villain, the actual villains are in the back collecting the Dragon Balls. I've been expecting that the fight would be interrupted by the dragon being summoned. Again, the fight isn't even over, so all the "vEgEtA jObBeD" comments are dumb, especially taking into account the fact that Goku literally lost to a weaker Granolah twice in two chapters, while Vegeta has been doing way better against a stronger version.
People regularly jump to conclusions with DBS based on little information, regularly out of context, and their assumptions are often wrong, it's been happening for 6 years and people never learn to just wait for the full context.
Agreed. Vegeta has arguably done better vs the main antags than Goku throughout Super.

Round 1 vs Beerus in SSJ2
Beat the fuck out of Golden Frieza when Goku lost
Kicked the shit out of Goku Black before his fusion
Did better against Jirin in Blue form
Got more hits in vs Broly
Did better against Moro before Goku used UI.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
laugh-laughing.gif
Would be better than what we're getting now by far.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering why vegeta was trending on twitter this morning
Job of destruction indeed.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody seriously wants to see Krillin beat a big bad lol
I do.

Bringing out some surprising plot points and using more characters to actually achieve things would make the show so much more interesting.

Super, while fun at times, is just extremely dull and by numbers overall. The show hasn't had a spark since Bu.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What did Toei and Toyotaro do after? We got fucking Jiren "STRONGER THAN TIME ITSELF" and Moro becoming another Freeza retraux because this is an inherent problem in the direction of the series from the top and it's not going to change.
The issue with Hit is that from the start it's established, like usual, that powering up more breaks his technique. It didn't take Jiren to break through his timeskip, Goku himself did it with Blue/Kaioken Blue.

Nov 17, 2017
EOErxRyRQk4vbYu11PhpmuXOHRsTlCbSEput6etibAE.jpg

Hit put Jiren in a time prison and Jiren LOLNOPED right out of it.

Hit's technique is also not just "fast movement". It's a literal time hax.
You missed my point completely. I understand that Hit is stopping time but the way they use it in the show and manga, he may as well just be moving super fast because the outcome is basically the same. How do you counter it? You just have a higher power level or move faster. Dragon Ball is always like this, the only difference between Base Goku's punch and Super Saiyan Blue Goku's punch is that we are told it's more powerful. Same thing with Hit.

Hit's Time Skip would be interesting if it changed how characters had to fight him - they had to find a strategy or counter. But Goku merely powers up so that he's fast and powerful enough to overcome the Time Skip. Jiren just powers up to get out of the Time Freeze. It's just brute force power levels as usual. So I never found Hit's ability interesting.

The issue with Hit is that from the start it's established, like usual, that powering up more breaks his technique. It didn't take Jiren to break through his timeskip, Goku himself did it with Blue/Kaioken Blue.
Yeah this is what I was trying to say. Hit's unique ability is immediately made irrelevant because of power levels.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Are people still "wait and see"ing Toyotaro in 2021.

Dude has zero interest in changing up the formula or evolving characters past their post-Buu-arc stasis (except for Goku who is basically just always kid Goku characterization wise). Which is fine. I get the nostalgia appeal of it. But I can't imagine expecting him to deviate from his paint by numbers approach.
This happens constantly, an out of context page leaks, people piss and whine about how bad Toyotaro is and then the chapter comes out and it wasn't what people thought.
Also reminder that Toriyama did the outline for this arc.
Also as someone who was very much a Toyotaro hater I think his own arc, The Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc, was Super's best and so far the current arc has been great.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
You missed my point completely. I understand that Hit is stopping time but the way they use it in the show and manga, he may as well just be moving super fast because the outcome is basically the same. How do you counter it? You just have a higher power level or move faster. Dragon Ball is always like this, the only difference between Base Goku's punch and Super Saiyan Blue Goku's punch is that we are told it's more powerful. Same thing with Hit.

Hit's Time Skip would be interesting if it changed how characters had to fight him - they had to find a strategy or counter. But Goku merely powers up so that he's fast and powerful enough to overcome the Time Skip. Jiren just powers up to get out of the Time Freeze. It's just brute force power levels as usual. So I never found Hit's ability interesting.
Functionally it isn't super speed. Goku was fighting against it in the U6 tournament before Kaioken. Yes Dragon Ball renders it useless against higher power levels but on a similar level of power Hit's tech would work how it's supposed to.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Vegeta nets new power.
Vegeta gets clapped by villain
Goku gets final win.

Rinse, Repeat.

After Resurrection F, i expect nothing from the writing with regards to Vegeta.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't really care about Jobgeta getting another L, that's pretty much his character arc and one unique trait.
What bothers me is the fucking atrocious art on display.
Dear Lord that posing on the drop kick by Jobgeta!

Nov 17, 2017
Functionally it isn't super speed. Goku was fighting against it in the U6 tournament before Kaioken. Yes Dragon Ball renders it useless against higher power levels but on a similar level of power Hit's tech would work how it's supposed to.
When I say "functionally", I mean how the battle functions, how the characters are made to react to things and adapt. Again, I realize that Hit is stopping time - I never said he wasn't. But in terms of how it effects battle in Dragon Ball, it may as well be super speed because the solution is still "move faster" to beat it. If Goku Blue moves faster than the Time Skip, than against a weaker opponent than Hit, Goku's speed would feel the same to them.

To explain it in another way, the show is telling us that Hit is stopping time but if it never did tell us the difference, it would effectively seem like he was just a little faster than Goku until Goku powered up and moved faster. My point is that for me, a power isn't really interesting unless it effects the world and characters it interacts with in an interesting or unique way. Time Skip… doesnt.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Looking back now. It almost seems like RoF was a troll move. I mean, think about it: Vegeta is so close to securing the victory over freeza THIS time... But then freeza just just doesn't lose. Time is rewinded. Goku just rushes in and nukes freeza for the W.

It is almost as if AT just said "Oh? You thought?" It is like he is speaking directly to us. He is telling us, in his own way, that Vegeta will never succeed. EVER again. I mean why else would AT do it that way. That's an oddly specific way to take the W away from Vegeta.

And now here we are once again.... Vegeta gets his pancakes flipped. And watch Goku start surfing and sliding on this motherfucka. I'm gonna be so mad.

Heck, at this point I would even take Gohan saving the day. pfft yeah right.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Looking back now. It almost seems like RoF was a troll move. I mean, think about it: Vegeta is so close to securing the victory over freeza THIS time... But then freeza just just doesn't lose. Time is rewinded. Goku just rushes in and nukes freeza for the W.

It is almost as if AT just said "Oh? You thought?" It is like he is speaking directly to us. He is telling us, in his own way, that Vegeta will never succeed. EVER again. I mean why else would AT do it that way. That's an oddly specific way to take the W away from Vegeta.

And now here we are once again.... Vegeta gets his pancakes flipped. And watch Goku start surfing and sliding on this motherfucka. I'm gonna be so mad.

Heck, at this point I would even take Gohan saving the day. pfft yeah right.
Again? When did Vegeta ever do anything significant?
He can kill random mooks like Frieza's henchmen or the clown android but he never does anything that worthwhile.
Even if he does, the bigger issue is that he hasn't learned anyting from any of his fights.
Goku didn't as well.
You could literally put a timeskip between that 1st DBS movie and explain that they trained really really hard to get the new forms and noting of value would be lost.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really agree that Vegeta gets nothing to do. He certainly does but the results don't usually matter in the long run. Vegeta trounced several of the fighters during the orginal universe vs universe fights but that ends up meaning little in the scheme of things as those fights had little importance to the plot aside from character introductions and world building.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't really agree that Vegeta gets nothing to do. He certainly does but the results don't usually matter in the long run. Vegeta trounced several of the fighters during the orginal universe vs universe fights but that ends up meaning little in the scheme of things as those fights had little importance to the plot aside from character introductions and world building.
Since it was a Battle royal, at the end of the day the main antagonist of that arc was the great equaliser.
Kinda like how in Saint Seiya you had the twin gods serving Hades that could wipe out any threat but they prefer to chill and wait for armies to play little games.

Like Thanatos could kill from a dimension away without bothering to show up.

Thing is Kurumada was smart enough to make the arcs before Elysion interesting to read and really fighting is not really the main draw of the manga despite its heavy battle focus.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering why Vegeta was trending on Twitter and saw the scans

why did people expect this man not to job

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
It's Dragon Ball, everybody "jobs" until the final battle. Goku's already jobbed this fight!

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Vegeta nets new power.
Vegeta gets clapped by villain
Goku gets final win.

Rinse, Repeat.

After Resurrection F, i expect nothing from the writing with regards to Vegeta.
This isn't the villain, the fight isn't over, Goku already got knocked out twice by him and Goku never gets solo wins against the main antagonists in Super, and many times he straight up doesn't win.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to need some of the people in this topic to watch Star Trek and start cleaning up Worf's record like how they're doing Vegeta's record

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm going to need some of the people in this topic to watch Star Trek and start cleaning up Worf's record like how they're doing Vegeta's record
Without filler, from the original manga.
We have :
Jobgeta vs :

Son Goku : win
Goku's friend : straight loss, got his tail cut by Yajirobe, bodied by Oozaru's Sangohan

Cui or whatever his name is who had the same power level as Jobgeta : Win
Dodoria : Win
Zarbon 1 : Loss
Zarbon 2 : Win
Recoome : Loss
Jess : Win
Frieza 1st form : Loss
Frieza final form : Loss

Android 20 : Win
Android 18 : Loss
Cell 2nd form : was Winning but then
Perfect Cell : Loss
Perfecter Cell : Loss

Rando guy in Babidi's basement : Win
Son Goku : Draw
Buu : Loss
Kid Buu : Loss

And that's it from the top of my head.

Oh and he also killed Nappa after Goku ragdolled him if that count for something.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Without filler, from the original manga.
We have :
Jobgeta vs :

Son Goku : kind of a draw in 1v1, he lost beam battle but could still fight while Goku was like super done.
Goku's friend : straight loss, got his tail cut by Yajirobe, bodied by Oozaru's Sangohan

Cui or whatever his name is who had the same power level as Jobgeta : Win
Dodoria : Win
Zarbon 1 : Loss
Zarbon 2 : Win
Recoome : Loss
Jess : Win
Frieza 1st form : Loss
Frieza final form : Loss

Android 20 : Win
Android 18 : Loss
Cell 2nd form : was Winning but then
Perfect Cell : Loss
Perfecter Cell : Loss

Rando guy in Babidi's basement : Loss
Son Goku : Draw
Buu : Loss
Kid Buu : Loss

And that's it from the top of my head.

Oh and he also killed Nappa after Goku ragdolled him if that count for something.
He easily beat Pui Pui, it wasn't a loss. I'd also argue he won against Goku in the Saiyan arc.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
He easily beat Pui Pui, it wasn't a loss. I'd also argue he won against Goku in the Saiyan arc.
I thought I put that as a win.
I didn't even remember his name so I was probably thinking of something else.

Goku in the Saiyan arc could be argued as a straight win too.
After the Oozaru transformation, Goku didn't have a whole bone in his body and Jobgeta was still fighting Gohan and the others.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Since it was a Battle royal, at the end of the day the main antagonist of that arc was the great equaliser.
Kinda like how in Saint Seiya you had the twin gods serving Hades that could wipe out any threat but they prefer to chill and wait for armies to play little games.

Like Thanatos could kill from a dimension away without bothering to show up.

Thing is Kurumada was smart enough to make the arcs before Elysion interesting to read and really fighting is not really the main draw of the manga despite its heavy battle focus.

What would you say is the main draw of Saint Seiya?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
He's in it because they paid him to come back. The dude was checked out since Namek
Well I dunno about that. Android/cell saga was dope af. And made Gohan super relevant. Also, piccolo molly-whopped dr.gero as well and was on his way to dragging 17's ass before he got interrupted. Tien also got shine time too.

Goku was legit scared to fight imperfect cell which is why he ran. These sagas had a lot of cool stuff in it. Also, we got arguably the best version of trunks ever written. He shows up and puts in work IMMEDIATELY.

AT did good in cell/android sagas.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Writing is and will never be his strong suit.
I feel like writting is his strong suit but for a gag manga.
What would you say is the main draw of Saint Seiya?
Ultimately I'd say it's the characters' struggle and overcoming impossible odds.
How they will succeed against odds that are so against them that no one would think twice if they failed.
I wouldn't say it's the battles themselves when most characters rely on 1 to 3 skills and they don't really grow in their fighting styles like how Naruto would have characters fight.

Well I dunno about that. Android/cell saga was dope af. And made Gohan super relevant. Also, piccolo molly-whopped dr.gero as well and was on his way to dragging 17's ass before he got interrupted. Tien also got shine time too.

Goku was legit scared to fight imperfect cell which is why he ran. These sagas had a lot of cool stuff in it. Also, we got arguably the best version of trunks ever written. He shows up and puts in work IMMEDIATELY.

And that's an arc with time travel too!
They usually suck and are contrived to all hells.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Gohan only contribution to the Android/Cell saga was getting pissed off by Cell and transform into a SSJ2, have Goku killed because he shares the same genetic shit like Goku/Vegeta and then kill Cell with the aid of Goku.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
And that's an arc with time travel too!
These sagas had a little bit of everything. Time-travel, mystery/investigation, thriller. The works!

My favorite saga tbh.

When they realized they couldn't sense the first set of androids and had to search for them the old fashioned way.

When cell was powering up and you could see the 100s of human souls he absorbed simultaneously being released from him.

Trunks giving cold his sword, only to kill him afterward. Lmao

When gero held yamchas mouth closed while impaling him.

When trunks came back from the future to check on the present, realizing the androids the Z fighters were fighting were not the real ones he remembered from his time.

ANOTHER android named 16!

Goku panicking even more when he realized he couldn't use beams against 19.

Goku falling ill.

Cell hiding from z warriors while drinking human beings like a Capri-sun through a straw.

Tien holding off cell until he passed out.

Realizing that the actual "present" was a failed timeline where everyone died. Our actual timeline is not the "original".

All dope and thrilling.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Gohan only contribution to the Android/Cell saga was getting pissed off by Cell and transform into a SSJ2, have Goku killed because he shares the same genetic shit like Goku/Vegeta and then kill Cell with the aid of Goku.
For me it's ok, as long as the follow up doesn't fumble to ball, it can serve as a great jumping point to start the adventures of Gohan.
Gohan was never that useful in Z anyway but this time it felt like it was leading up to something and Gohan's final form was the pay off.
Goku dying had to happen thematically to close the book on Goku and focus on Gohan going forward.
To say that the follow up didn't go the way it was organically meant to go is an understatement.

These sagas had a little bit of everything. Time-travel, mystery/investigation, thriller. The works!

My favorite saga tbh.

When they realized they couldn't sense the first set of androids and had to search for them the old fashioned way.

When cell was powering up and you could see the 100s of human souls he absorbed simultaneously being released from him.

When gero held yamchas mouth closed while impaling him.

When trunks came back from the future to check on the present, realizing the androids the Z fighters were fighting were not the real ones he remembered from his time.

ANOTHER android named 16!

Goku panicking even more when he realized he couldn't use beams against 19.

Goku falling ill.

Cell hiding from z warriors while drinking human beings like a Capri-sun through a straw.

Tien holding off cell until he passed out.

Realizing that the actual "present" was a failed timeline where everyone died. Our actual timeline is not the "original".

All dope and thrilling.
And when you discover this arc it's fantastic.
Cell comes out of nowhere and fight with a fused Piccolo and the way the fight works is wildly unpredictable.
The structure is in general the very same.
Jobgeta is still always jobbing, Krillin is far from useful and all that but it's so masterfully done.

Even if you read it now it's still a fantastic read.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Writing is and will never be his strong suit.
I found Tori's writing to be one of Dragon Ball's strongest points at least in some aspects. Maybe it's his background of actually being a comedian but I felt that Toriyama was always keenly aware of the audiences expectations and played around with it quite a lot which made the whole story quite engaging throughout.

It's so good that you could pick up the manga and it would still be better than most shonen currently running.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I feel like writting is his strong suit but for a gag manga.

Yes gags/light hearted writing is one of his strengths. Along with pacing, just story construction and follow though are his bane.

Akira: Let's make Gohan the protag and he's a school with a whole new supporting cast/setting/set up for Gohan to interact with.

5 weeks later…

I'm bringing back Goku.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yes gags/light hearted writing is one of his strengths. Along with pacing, just story construction and follow though are his bane.

Akira: Let's make Gohan the protag and he's a school with a whole new supporting cast/setting/set up for Gohan to interact with.

5 weeks later…

I'm bringing back Goku.
That whole thing with Gohan's school life is probably reason #1 Dragon Ball is a Goku only show with Jobgeta as a hype man.

Thinking about it, the long timeskip was a mistake.
Gohan was homeschooled so the only characters that worked as Gohan's friends were Goku's friends.
And you can't really have Gohan hang out with the much older cast.
Because Gohan is by far then the strongest person alive (and even at the start of Z he was already stronger than most humans were),
you can't have him interact naturally with a cast like Goku did back then.

We have a lot of examples of timeskips being successful or not but was there ever a long running manga where the mangaka tried a protagonist swap in the middle and succeeded?
I can't think of one actually!
HxH could be argued but that's a bit different and on an ongoing hiatus right now.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't read the spoilers, but judging by reactions I'mma guess this tweet is relevant

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They really buffed Vegeta only to job him?

Man. It's so much like being a Buffalo Bills fan.