• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which clan are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Brujah

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • Tremere

Votes: 99 23.6%
  • Toreador

Votes: 108 25.8%
  • Ventrue

Votes: 71 16.9%
  • Malkavian

Votes: 99 23.6%

• Total voters

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad I can't be a tzimisce and flesh-sculpt my face into a flappy nutsack with beady eyes and a vagina dentata for a smile, Clanbook style. I guess that'd make contact with the living a bit difficult.

But being serious, I hope we get to see more of the tzimisce, and not just vile versions of them. The books have plenty of lines about alien and inhumanely beautiful ones who'd give pause to a hardened toreador*.

*if that exists.
I'd love to see Old Tzimisce as well, working with nature spirits and shit. Could be fun and imaginative in an urban jungle setting like Seattle.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
BTW, is there a recommended list of visual mods for Bloodlines? The wife wants to get into it, but it's quite... ugly now well into 2019.

I don't want to do a total rebuild that deviates from the original look, just to make it prettier.

Oct 25, 2017
The PCgamer article is right in this seeming really ambitious. I'm surprised they're implementing V5's Blood Resonance. It's just an extra layer of complexity I would have personally likely scrapped pre-development. But it's also accurate in highlighting many of Bloodline's troubles being due to an unfamiliar engine (which Valve provided basically fuck all help with), and being forced to release the game the same day as Half Life 2.

Also on the topic of Tzimisce... they're not even playable in the 5th edition Tabletop game yet. So don't hold your breath for them being in B2.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Potency

• You're big, you're tough and your muscles have muscles.
  • Fist of Caine gives you a punch even the big daddy of the vamps would be proud of. Knock down walls and throw people far. It's upgradeable, too.
  • Beat up the ground with Earthshock, creating a shockwave and knocking down anyone that gets too close. Upgrading it will send out fissures that damage everyone nearby.
Celerity

• You're the speedster of the vampire world.
  • Unseen Storm lets you dash in any direction so quickly that, to anyone looking, you disappear, giving you the chance to make a quick attack, reposition yourself and dodge attacks. It helps if you want to run away, too, and it can be upgraded.
  • With Accelerate, the world slows down around you, letting pull off fancy stunts and even avoid bullets. You can enhance it with an upgrade, too. You'll be wanting to grab some shades and a leather coat, obviously.

Stream in ~4 hours and 40 minutes to go over in more detail.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Well, Brujah is like the default vampire clan, so that was expected. I wonder if Celerity will be as overpowered as it was in the first game.

Also, gimme Ventrue next, pretty please.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Someone on Reddit is speculating that they won't have Presence... which is certainly a theory of some sort. I don't really see the need to do such a thing, especially with better UI work (gimme a tasty power wheel!). Overlap isn't the enemy either.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo...what's the likelihood of seeing a remaster/rbarebones release of the first game on PS4/X1?

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo...what's the likelihood of seeing a remaster/rbarebones release of the first game on PS4/X1?
0. Buggy, unstable, and unfinished version of Source. It's not even playable without mods anymore.

Pin your hopes instead on the inevitable port to Bloodlines 2 once people get their hands on the mod tools.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
I would go with zero. The game is already a cult classic that's been hyped for 16 years, and can be run on a toaster these days.

Someone on Reddit is speculating that they won't have Presence... which is certainly a theory of some sort. I don't really see the need to do such a thing, especially with better UI work (gimme a tasty power wheel!). Overlap isn't the enemy either.
It seems we will be restricted to two disciplines from the full-blood clan, and one thinblood we take at the start of the game.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
bWRZjNKUS7iRgkxh27DpCG.jpg

I love the character model. Looks really good. Clothing/style customisation will be out the wazoo in this one.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Character model is legit. Sunglasses and beard make me think that it may be in-game or at least real time cut scene asset.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Hmm. Don't know how I'd feel about that, but at least it seems like the passive buff disciplines would be more interesting?
Guess they wanted to go away from Disciplines being just "buffs" to numbers. And that ain't a bad thing. Most powers in the first game were really just five levels of +1 to a stat. Their new approach gives each Discipline a unique feel.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
If you squint hard enough you can see some of the powers at the end of the video.

A preview for ants. But a preview.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Guess they wanted to go away from Disciplines being just "buffs" to numbers. And that ain't a bad thing. Most powers in the first game were really just five levels of +1 to a stat. Their new approach gives each Discipline a unique feel.
Not a bad thing, but some clans would be gutted if they're this against overlap. What do Toreador get without Celerity? Other clans have super-strong identities wrapped up into Auspex and Presence.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Not a bad thing, but some clans would be gutted if they're this against overlap. What do Toreador get without Celerity? Other clans have super-strong identities wrapped up into Auspex and Presence.
Well, it's all guesswork for at least another 4 hours until the stream. Maybe Presence will be reworked into something more active, than just a "force of personality".

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
They can't make each clan unique, there aren't enough disciplines, and there's too much sharing. I almost can't believe they'd only give each clan two disciplines, clans have always had 3. And Brujah are much more than just the punch-mans clan, and that's illustrated through the fact they have Presence too. It's a thematic thing as much as a mechanical one.

(I don't even like the clan, and even I think it's terrible simplification of their ~*~lore~*~.)

Mar 30, 2019
If they really reduce it to two clan disciplines that would the first big letdown for me. Up to this point I liked nearly everthing but that would be a BIG letdown. I hope the article is just misleading. Luckely the stream will most likely answer the question.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Well, yeah, they confirmed two clan disciplines and one thin blood. The boring answer is - it suits the gameplay. Most likely Presence will go to Toreador.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Two Disciplines per Clan.

Also "we have a Clan with chalky white skin and weird eyes, Clan that needs to sleep in home soil, Clan that can't see itself in mirrors."

All mentioned in stream (but not confirmed).

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I think they are really leaning into the Thin-blood angle. Whichever of the 3 Thin-blood disciplines you choose in the early part of the game you will retain when you pick a clan, so they had to take out one of the traditional clan disciplines to make up for it.

From a gameplay perspective, this opens up more possibilities for varied "builds", but I suppose it does play havok with the established Canon somewhat.

In any case, Brujah being a starter clan was almost a no-brainer- it's as pure a " fighter" archetype class as you can get.

If they're gonna stick with the "vanilla" clans for the base game, I really hope they at least give them radically different dialogue. With the exception of Malks and Nosferatu, the other clans' playthroughs in Bloodlines were all too similar, story and dialogue-wise.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I can live with only two disciplines. As said, it makes each clan more different and prevents overlapping. Makes you pick yours more carefully.

And Brujah is a must. People like to tear shit up. I fully expect Toreador for the same reason, with some reservations about Ventrue if they plan to introduce other less mainstream clans.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I can live with only two disciplines. As said, it makes each clan more different and prevents overlapping. Makes you pick yours more carefully.

And Brujah is a must. People like to tear shit up. I fully expect Toreador for the same reason, with some reservations about Ventrue if they plan to introduce other less mainstream clans.
Ditto, six actives is a lot to juggle and I expect the community to make a mod for those of us that want a fourth discipline (like me!).

And I'd love to see Lasombra in lieu of Ventrue, if it's one or the other.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Tbh, Ventrue and Toreador feel like they overlap the most. I'd absolutely love for a Ventrue to be replaced by a Malk for a totally unique experience.

But sadly, I really doubt we'll get Malks at launch. I might hold off on playing the game until we do. (My original Bloodlines run was a Malk, and I'm still convinced that if it wasn't I would not hold the game in such high regard as I do now).

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
They clearly only mentioned some clan weaknesses from the lore. I wouldn't take this as confirmation for anything.

In fact, they specifically mentioned it wasn't confirmation (as I said in my post you quoted) but, you know...

Also, is it just me, or does the Brujah model sort of remind anyone else of Scott Dawson? ;p

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Ditto, six actives is a lot to juggle and I expect the community to make a mod for those of us that want a fourth discipline (like me!).

And I'd love to see Lasombra in lieu of Ventrue, if it's one or the other.
I'm a Toreador, but I also love me some superdark, supergoth, superasshole vamps, so Lasombra is cool with me.

In fact, they specifically mentioned it wasn't confirmation (as I said in my post you quoted) but, you know...

Also, is it just me, or does the Brujah model sort of remind anyone else of Scott Dawson? ;p
Looks like a young Graham McTavish to me.

And now I want a shit talking Scottish Brujah.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'd say it pigeon holes each clan. Brujah can't be fighter who can also be social now it's just Fighters.

Say with Toreador. Take away celerity and they are just socialites (even more so). Etc