• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Really disappointed that these three VR-Flagship games valve announced 3 years ago turned out to be VR games

Who could have seen that coming

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't all the original L4D devs gone and working on different games outside of Valve. Don't know why anyone expected a L4D3.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Left 4 Dead VR sounds a bit odd given that the HLA interview video had Valve talking about how they didn't want to do a multiplayer VR game due to how they'd have to handle seeing other player's models and moving around.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Does free movement VR work without making people sick? Left 4 Dead where you move from set point to set point by teleporting sounds odd. I know HL:A has the option. But wasn't sure if it would work for everyone.

Hardly any game worth playing uses teleporting anymore.

I mostly play competitive "fps" shooters in VR and they're all free movement.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Valve really pushing VR with big IP. Although I will probably never try VR, give me the option without VR Valve.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
After Half-Life: Alyx was announced I wanted an Index. Not for Half-Life: Alyx, but because I figured L4D VR wouldn't be too far behind. Can't wait to see what Valve is cooking up for VR.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I thought L4D has been a known thing. Was watching VNN's videos a couple of weeks ago, where Tyler talks about how the canceled / on-hold L4D3 (tentative title) would have some VR functionality for one or two of the characters.

EDIT: Regardless, I'm in even if it turns out to be exclusive to VR... Just need to get me a VR headset first, lol.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Will play on my oculus quest, much respect to Valve for pushing the VR medium forward.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Valve really pushing VR with big IP. Although I will probably never try VR, give me the option without VR Valve.

Why would you never even *TRY* VR?
What's the point of that?

Also, you're 100% not getting non-vr versions of these exact games, it's just not feasible. Maybe some future iterations (sequels), but not these ones.
None of this came as a surprise to anyone paying the least bit of attention, either.

Please stop with what's essentially port begging at this point.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
Who is "we" exactly? Because I'm more than happy to get more VR focused games, you don't speak for me
It's exactly what I was looking for. Every FPS franchise should evolve into VR :-)
Sounds good to me. There's also the fact that L4D3's development included VR support, so maybe asymmetrical gameplay?

Cool story guys.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I thought L4D has been a known thing. Was watching VNN's videos a couple of weeks ago, where Tyler talks about how the canceled / on-hold L4D3 (tentative title) would have some VR functionality for one or two of the characters.
he wasnt sure if the plan for 3 VR games was still a thing and at the time was only 100% HL was happening in VR only but yeah L4D was pretty clear to be the next game.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Are people seriously complaining about VR?

Valve is trying to push new technology & innovate game design, this is exactly why we love Valve's games in the first place.
They are always eye opening & creative experiences that makes us realize the true potential of video games.

I don't even have a VR, hell I don't even have a PC capable of running VR, but I'm absolutely fucking thrilled to see Valve doing new & groundbreaking stuff again.

You can always buy VR or a PC in the future when it's more cost effective to do so, just like many people didn't get to play Half-life 2 until after 2007 where they can finally afford a decent PC with relatively cheap price.

Just because we don't get to play it now doesn't mean we can't appreciate these bold, innovative titles utilizing groundbreaking technology.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
he wasnt sure if the plan for 3 VR games was still a thing and at the time was only 100% HL was happening in VR only but yeah L4D was pretty clear to be the next game.
True. I guess what threw me off with his tweet was where he said it's "real", since I thought that was already established. I guess what he meant was more along the lines of "It's still happening"?

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
If for example Bungie or CDProject came out and announced the sequels to Destiny & The Witcher were VR only, some of you in this thread can't understand why people would be pissed/annoyed?

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Pretty much the story of the game industry in general. Every major advancement has been forced on gamers, and thank god it was, because otherwise the luddites of the gaming world would have us all playing ATARi games in 2019.
Plenty of piss poor "advancements" have been attempted to be push on gamers and thankfully failed.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Plenty of piss poor "advancements" have been attempted to be push on gamers and thankfully failed.
Yes, and it's a good thing VR isn't a piss poor advancement, by a very large consensus of people that have actually used it. All despite it being very early technology that can only get better with each iteration.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
If for example Bungie or CDProject came out and announced the sequels to Destiny & The Witcher were VR only, some of you in this thread can't understand why people would be pissed/annoyed?
a more accurate comparison would be if lets say Bethesda came out and released a Bethesda VR headset, told people they are working on flagship vr games and make it clear development is moving to a Elder Scrolls VR game and then they announce Elder Scrolls: Morrowind for all VR platforms.

even then its not exactly the same.

and no I wouldnt really be pissed if Destiny 3 was a VR game, in fact it would actually be what pulls me into the game considering how Destiny 1 and 2 ended up. Ill play Cyberpunk 2077 regardless but if say Cyberpunk 3000 was a VR only game I would lose my mind (in a good way lol)

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Not at all the same because Valve have been researching VR for almost a decade and announced 3 VR games almost 3 years ago. They have an actual responsibility to be making VR games for the foreseeable future.

However, even if it were the same, people shouldn't be doing more than venting their frustration. The moment that steps into justification to hate against VR is where they've crossed the line.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

the same way people would be annoyed when a game would be announced exclusive for a new console?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
giphy.gif

We have a product for people who can't access VR; it is called Left 4 Dead 2.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
No, because actual VR is far more ambitious in term of gameplay than anything being made today in "classic games".
Couldn't say it better. It is the exact opposite of the Kinect situation.

As for all the people who dismiss VR from the get-go. I really don't understand it. The company tries something ambitious and we should commend it at least for trying that. It may end up being disappointing but it may just as well end up being leagues better from the current VR offerings. If this happens - if all the reviews tell you that this is the next level of VR, will you still be saying that you are not interested, because it is VR? Where is this dogmatism coming from?

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Great news. Exciting to see Valve investing so much in VR. The future looks a bit brighter for the platform.