• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
can you summon the Raven to check what he has to say? or is it just after certain events?

and I found the black forest, but I started freezing. it is also snowy there? or did I find the spot where the black forest and the moutains meet?

and can you mark your buildings on the map, so that you can find them again, when you changed resting places?
have 3 buildings with a bed and some chest right now and just found a little village I want to repair and use as a new base.
Open inventory, top right click the raven and you can see not just your active effects but also all the tutorial text you have read so far.

you found the mountains. it says in the top right of the minimap what kind of biome you are in.

on the map you can choose map markers in the bottom right and then put them down with double click and name them. right click removes them. clicking them once puts a red mark on them (or removes it when they already have one) which you can use to mark cleared dungeons for example

This looks cool and all except for the fact that the combat looks janky and unsatisfying. Is that something they've said they plan on overhauling eventually?

Combat has parrying, blocking and stamina management. Also dodge rolls. It's not really janky at all.
The only thing that can be annoying is that some of the animations for weapons are not good at hitting downwards so if you "have the high ground" you will often hit over enemies.

Onvious

Nov 16, 2019
I am wondering why my server has fps problems. My friends joined my server(i am host. no dedicated server), we are team of 5 and everyone has fps issues. I deleted some items on the ground (with removedrops ) and yet our issues still remain. is there any fix for this problem or my laptop cant handle 6 people?

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Bought the game off of hype and convinced a few friends to get it. We played five straight hours starting at like 10 pm. This game just melts time away like no other.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
This looks cool and all except for the fact that the combat looks janky and unsatisfying. Is that something they've said they plan on overhauling eventually?

The only thing I would honestly change about the combat is better animations, maybe tighten the parry time a bit, it's kinda overpowered right now.

It works really well for what it is.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
So I've built a home, have a flint weapon, have no idea what to do next. Don't feel like I'm ready to face the first boss that the raven tells you about, but am I? Or should I just keep exploring and see what I find?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, will bronze nails on your person deny you travel through a portal, or is stuff like that allowed?

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
So I've built a home, have a flint weapon, have no idea what to do next. Don't feel like I'm ready to face the first boss that the raven tells you about, but am I? Or should I just keep exploring and see what I find?

In order to face the first boss, you'll first need to get 2 deer trophies.Deers aren't the simplest creatures to hunt since they run away, so I'd say to make a bow and focus on deer hunting for a little bit.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
In order to face the first boss, you'll first need to get 2 deer trophies.Deers aren't the simplest creatures to hunt since they run away, so I'd say to make a bow and focus on deer hunting for a little bit.

I only have 2 hours in the game but I've killed like ~7 deer so far. They are very easy to kill if you just crouch walk towards them. Most have been 1 hit, except a star deer that was 2 hits.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Open inventory, top right click the raven and you can see not just your active effects but also all the tutorial text you have read so far.

you found the mountains. it says in the top right of the minimap what kind of biome you are in.

on the map you can choose map markers in the bottom right and then put them down with double click and name them. right click removes them. clicking them once puts a red mark on them (or removes it when they already have one) which you can use to mark cleared dungeons for example

Combat has parrying, blocking and stamina management. Also dodge rolls. It's not really janky at all.
The only thing that can be annoying is that some of the animations for weapons are not good at hitting downwards so if you "have the high ground" you will often hit over enemies.
It said "Black Forest". but maybe it really was the border between them.

THX. I tried to figur out what the symbols on the map were for for quite some time. lol

btw.: how do you parry?

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Have about 30 hours in. Made an awesome village outside of the black forest near the water with 5 friends. Workshop area with smelters and kilns and all that, big main house, garden, full spiked wall, the works. In the bronze age currently about jump to iron. Having a stupid amount of fun with this game.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I was running around in the hills hunting and when the atmospheric music kicked in I was just taken back to Morrowind. Absolutely love the atmosphere.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
When do you know your ready for the first boss. Went into a dungeon and a multi star red skully wrecked my little group.

The only thing I would honestly change about the combat is better animations, maybe tighten the parry time a bit, it's kinda overpowered right now.

It works really well for what it is.

I think a lock on system would also make it look less janky perhaps.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It said "Black Forest". but maybe it really was the border between them.

THX. I tried to figur out what the symbols on the map were for for quite some time. lol

btw.: how do you parry?
you need to block right before the attack hits you. the window is quite generous.
also your shield/weapon you use for blocking needs to have enough "parry force" to actually parry the enemy or else it won't throw them off balance.
This is so you can't just parry high level enemies to death with a wodden club, lol

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Boo. How is the stability so far on a mid range PC build? I don't normally go off what developer says are recommended specs because that never works out for me.

My roommate is running on a GTX 970/4690K and gets 30-60 fps maxed out at 1080p. Turning down a few settings should help it stay mostly 60.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
ValThrone.png

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I found a biiig copper deposit in the black forest, so I've made a path to it from my base. Tomorrow's task is to drag a cart out there, set up a workbench and mine the shit out of it. I love how things take time and you need to plan ahead for simple things such as mining.

My great hall is complete, I also have a pig farm and carrots growing. I still haven't ventured out on the sea or killed the 2nd boss yet.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually enjoying the combat a lot! Game is giving me morrowind vibes with exploration and good forests. With that in mind it feels like if Morrowind had played dark souls.

Chance of magic being added? Lol. Now I'm excited for potential mods and overhauls to make this a dope elder scrolls styled survival game since it has boss fights and ways to have progression in a way lots of survival games don't (at least that I've experienced)

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the server desync is killing me literally. Parrying becomes useless/unreliable. On P2P with more than decent internet connectivity, but still happens pretty regularly. Enemies spawning in a way like GTA V police do, but all the time, gets old pretty fast. Really like the game and looking forward to improvements in the future.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Man, the server desync is killing me literally. Parrying becomes useless/unreliable. On P2P with more than decent internet connectivity, but still happens pretty regularly. Enemies spawning in a way like GTA V police do, but all the time, gets old pretty fast. Really like the game and looking forward to improvements in the future.
Haven't seen any of that in 60 hours luckily

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen any of that in 60 hours luckily

Yeah, it's been pretty bad at times but the most bothersome instance was taking on a Fuling with a bronze spear and buckler. One moment, parrying works, the next moment it isn't. Stamina was 3 bars full.

Maybe a hosted dedicated server is needed.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually enjoying the combat a lot! Game is giving me morrowind vibes with exploration and good forests. With that in mind it feels like if Morrowind had played dark souls.

Chance of magic being added? Lol. Now I'm excited for potential mods and overhauls to make this a dope elder scrolls styled survival game since it has boss fights and ways to have progression in a way lots of survival games don't (at least that I've experienced)
All of this. I said it earlier. Def give me the morrowind exploration vibes I haven't had since and I find the combat very enjoyable but it def could be imporved upon some. Thankfully that is on the roadmap as a possibility.

Really excited to see where they take this game.

Also:
oszwMcS.png

Last edited:

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
This game is incredible, holy shit. My humble beginnings:

F99CE94E9B30FE912AC7E392F9339DC12A930108

Now, to find a swamp and maybe start a new base closer to it.

Btw, I'm putting this in spoiler but it's not something serious, just a quick question

I've seen a hooded man appear and just vanish in front of me three times now, is there something more to it? Kinda looks like Odin.

Also (this one may be a bit more spoilery, it's about an encounter, not a boss as far as I know but a wild encounter with something pretty big):

I was sailing around and found an "island" with a couple of mining spots on it, to my surprise it started moving, I started to panic and immediately left for the boat but I guess I could have mined a bit more since it took a while for it to just go underwater. I'm assuming it's a giant turtle but I couldn't say. Pretty cool encounter.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Gives me Dogma vibes as well as Morrowind

FISHING IS SO HARD AAAAAA
Really? Honestly the hardest part of fishing is just finding a spot with fish. Just right-click roughly when the fish touches your line and it'll be hooked. Then just hold right click to reel it in.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Also (this one may be a bit more spoilery, it's about an encounter, not a boss as far as I know but a wild encounter with something pretty big):

I was sailing around and found an "island" with a couple of mining spots on it, to my surprise it started moving, I started to panic and immediately left for the boat but I guess I could have mined a bit more since it took a while for it to just go underwater. I'm assuming it's a giant turtle but I couldn't say. Pretty cool encounter.

This just happened to me and my friends. We panicked once the whole place sunk.
This is one of the gaming highlights of the year for me because of everything it caused afterwards. Fantastic game.

EDIT: As others have already mentioned, the atmosphere in this game is unique.

1AAD0DAAD1F3A3A269A5ABC28E5DB56CD9C9586F

Last edited:

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Started this yesterday with a friend, did an hr or so, built a shelter of sorts and didn't die, I call that a success, enjoying it so far

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Jesus, how to I steer a boat with a controller?

I cant lift or lower the sail!

Edit: humm, think i figured it out. It's just accelerate and reduce speed i guess?

Last edited:

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Been having a blast playing the game for the past few days, but for some reason started lagging pretty badly yesterday. My friends, including the host, aren't facing any issues while I'm staring at 25kms ping time. Most of us use the same ISP, so not sure what the issue is :(

For those who got dedicated servers, any recommendations?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A group of friends and I are jumping into this, we spent waaaay too much time in Ark, DayZ, Minecraft, WoW and really any multiplayer game that caught our fancy. We were all a bit cautious with it being EA and having been burnt in the past with games having that "too early" feel to them that we never end up actually playing them again, but Valheim seems to promise a solid amount of content already for its value.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
The raft will move in reverse even if the wind is against it. Makes it a lot more useful.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So to get a boat in the water you basically got to put a workbench on the shore? We built a ways off the shore so can't seem to drop a boat, so the solution is creating a launch pad or something?