• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the Biden election against Bernie is a a sort of canary in the coal mine as to how the race against Trump will go. Like, we see in all the swing states Hillary struggled in, Biden is blowing Bernie out of the water. Part of this is due to him being not Hillary. Plus a generally well liked dude.

I wonder if many of those new Trump voters in swing states that looked rock solid, were really just anti-Hillary voters. Like many pundits and watchers saw how Bernie did in 2016, and assumed that would translate into 2020. It did not. I wonder if that's a foreshadowing of what's to come in a few months. That puts places like Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, and even Florida back on the map. Add Arizona, Maine, North Carolina, and Iowa, and we've got a pretty comfy election.

And that's without a recession ( even a mild, short one, which looks to be almost guaranteed due to Trump's bungling this) and the virus aftershocks. Then you start looking at places like Georgia, Missouri, Kansas, and Texas. Then it's really 2008 2.0.

Return of The Jedi indeed.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
That tweet about Biden is so embarrassing, and he's too dumb to realize it. The only thing people should be hearing from him now is the state of testing, how to stay safe, and him working together with Dems to help people. That's it. This name calling, at a time like this, it's just sad. It makes him look even smaller and more scared than he already is.
Trump's brain doesn't work that way. He got into office by being a virulent dickhead and he's going to keep doing that until they haul him out of the oval office next January.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
So we're does Florida get tax revenue from with the parks closing and tourism likely taking a big hit? That's a major reason they don't have income tax isn't it?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, this is bad. When Jason Furman is arguing now we need UBI, of potentially $2,000+ a month to stop a crash worse than 2008, we're in deep deep deep deep deep deep shit.

Furman was part of Obama's Council of Economic advisors and famous for being an opponent to UBI. Shit's critically bad.

00w5XSK.jpg

This is going to get significantly worse. It's like we're in an airplane that's descending at high speed, and the person in the pilot's seat just learned the word airplane.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, this is bad. When Jason Furman is arguing now we need UBI, of potentially $2,000+ a month to stop a crash worse than 2008, we're in deep deep deep deep deep deep shit.

Furman was part of Obama's Council of Economic advisors and famous for being an opponent to UBI. Shit's critically bad.

This is going to get significantly worse. It's like we're in an airplane that's descending at high speed, and the person in the pilot's seat just learned the word airplane.
The same people panicking were cheering that this moron was doing everything they'd ever want. Bill's come due, idiots

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Also could Trump try to postpone the election citing a national emergency? I feel like he's going to try.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I mean what is going to stop this slide? They injected 1.5 trillion today and it didn't even bring the market green. Futures is down over 600 points tonight.

tumblr_lr31xcgGrO1qzo384o1_500.jpg

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
What's so fucked up about the markets tanking is that this isn't even an inherently financial crisis! The economic problems are entirely induced by his own fucking lack of effective response to the virus! He makes things worse every time he opens his fucking mouth and contradicts any one of the actual experts leading on this, but he can't help from opening his dumb fucking face all the time because he can't stand attention being trained on anyone but him. Goddamn.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trump might actually agree to a temporary UBI. He'd see it as a way to bribe voters. The GOP Senate would sooner kill their own children than vote for it though.
There is no way in hell Republicans agree to that. Hell, whether or not you have enough dems in the house without further pain is questionable. Like, pubs are wincing about doing super-temporary two weeks of paid sick leave.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Trump might actually agree to a temporary UBI. He'd see it as a way to bribe voters. The GOP Senate would sooner kill their own children than vote for it though.
Trump doesn't believe in universal programs only selective and exclusive ones.

theyll never agree to a universal basic income. I could see farmer basic income though or targeted bribes specifically at voters he wants

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no way in hell Republicans agree to that. Hell, whether or not you have enough dems in the house without further pain is questionable. Like, pubs are wincing about doing super-temporary two weeks of paid sick leave.

They're wincing but I also think it hasn't sunk in how bad this is going to be. This is a party that can't understand data. They also don't want to be painted as the party of pain in an election year.

With that in mind, I don't see them doing UBI. As usual Republicans, they'll offer aid with holes in it and hope it works as political cover.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder if the Biden election against Bernie is a a sort of canary in the coal mine as to how the race against Trump will go. Like, we see in all the swing states Hillary struggled in, Biden is blowing Bernie out of the water. Part of this is due to him being not Hillary. Plus a generally well liked dude.

I wonder if many of those new Trump voters in swing states that looked rock solid, were really just anti-Hillary voters. Like many pundits and watchers saw how Bernie did in 2016, and assumed that would translate into 2020. It did not. I wonder if that's a foreshadowing of what's to come in a few months. That puts places like Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, and even Florida back on the map. Add Arizona, Maine, North Carolina, and Iowa, and we've got a pretty comfy election.

And that's without a recession ( even a mild, short one, which looks to be almost guaranteed due to Trump's bungling this) and the virus aftershocks. Then you start looking at places like Georgia, Missouri, Kansas, and Texas. Then it's really 2008 2.0.

Return of The Jedi indeed.
Nah. The political environment is to polarized in the US right now which makes it hard for a party to win a landslide. Biden's ceiling in terms of the electoral college is somewhere in the mid to high 300s if things get really bad.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Also could Trump try to postpone the election citing a national emergency? I feel like he's going to try.
If this carries on I don't think repub politicians will even back him. They got their tax cut and judges, they're going to want the chance to get the house back and keep (or regain) the senate. Easier for them to do that whining about Biden than defending this

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Michael Barbaro on Twitter

“According to a survey of epidemiologists the coronavirus outbreak probably won’t peak before May, meaning it will be getting worse and worse and worse over the next two months, and for much of that time, presumably, exponentially worse. https://t.co/qBfpR76kez”

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Michael Barbaro on Twitter

“According to a survey of epidemiologists the coronavirus outbreak probably won’t peak before May, meaning it will be getting worse and worse and worse over the next two months, and for much of that time, presumably, exponentially worse. https://t.co/qBfpR76kez”

Jeez, I was expecting mid-late April.

14 day paid sick leave ain't covering shit.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
In that report they predict an average of 1800 reported U.S. cases by March 16th (with crazy margin for error of course). As of the end of the 12th there were 1663.

They also estimate about 1/8 of actual U.S. cases have been reported.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

Looking over the (very short PDF) -

1. This was used assuming the known cases as of Monday, March 9th. The general assumption is 1,819 cases by Monday, March 16th. We are at 1,663 cases diagnosed, well on the way to break that number. The upper bound of predictions gives a little over 6,000 cases by Monday.

2. They assume that only 13% of the true caseload has been reported (presumably self-reported/through testing).

3. There is an assumption of peak cases in May!

Status
Not open for further replies.