• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing how fauxgressives can jump between excuses to continue to claim that biden's senile, despite any evidence to the contrary, while tut tutting anyone that brings up Bernie's heart attack.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's convenient for Glenn Beck that for him, going back to work means hosting a podcast.
"Having fair takes on subjects that avoid deliberately playing into and reinforcing listeners' prior assumptions/beliefs" and "make a living off Patreon" seem to be mutually incompatible regardless of where you are on the political spectrum.

Oct 27, 2017
The mods agree with them.
I have an aunt suffering from actual dementia right now, and my uncle can't go see her at all because of the pandemic. I watched my father lose his mind while he was suffering from cancer. I've felt all these comments people make, too.

I've mostly avoided the primary thread because I haven't been comfortable with much of its content, and I don't have the authority to handle the multitude of these types of comments in there or elsewhere. Younger people are always going to have something to say about older people based on time's arrow pointing towards old age, but these comments cross a line that I think some people are less concerned about, or not concerned at all.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: modwhining
I have an aunt suffering from actual dementia right now, and my uncle can't go see her at all because of the pandemic. I watched my father lose his mind while he was suffering from cancer. I've felt all these comments people make, too.

I've mostly avoided the primary thread because I haven't been comfortable with much of its content, and I don't have the authority to handle the multitude of these types of comments in there or elsewhere. Younger people are always going to have something to say about older people based on time's arrow pointing towards old age, but these comments cross a line that I think some people are less concerned about, or not concerned at all.
Echoes of Susan Collins saying she's "deeply concerned" but doing nothing.

Mar 18, 2020
It was amusing to see all of the jovial "boomer remover" comments transform into righteousness indignation over holding the primary and "risking lives" in the primary pit.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017

I just want to say that I appreciate your post and am so sorry for what you've been thru/are going thru. I posted in the previous PoliOT about losing my grandmother slowly over six years and how some of the comments here effect me due to that. Even if you don't have the authority to deal with those comments, I'm glad that my own sentiments are shared with someone on the mod team.

Oct 25, 2017
Save this for someone else. I've made my case to the mod team multiple times, and spent a lot of time doing it too.
Thank you for doing so. As someone who has volunteered with older people, including those with dementia and in memory care units, the last few months of letting that kind of language flourish on this site has been, well, disappointing. Nice to know someone on the staff was fighting against it internally since it is hurtful to those affected by it.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Biden's shaky response to the virus has resulted in a stampede of endorsements for Bernie. Soon he will almost have 1.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Save this for someone else. I've made my case to the mod team multiple times, and spent a lot of time doing it too.
Thank you for trying. I report posts all the time in that thread and do not get an answer. I know it is because the moderation team is largely sympathetic, and I'm fine with that. The board's leadership should reflect the board's constituents. I do think you have senior people taking combative stances publicly so that's that. I can't say I don't understand it...having done it myself. Though I will say the only person who ever really got banned in the old world was Crab. lol crab.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
You've been very fair and level headed as far as I've seen. Sorry for any grief you get!

I'm just curious myself regarding reporting.
Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread 'Democratic Presidential Primaries & Caucuses |March OT| Last Tuesday was 1000 years ago, old news no one cares about (Discussion Guidelines in OP)' - Please be sure not to only report people you disagree with. Reporting people for trolling who are responding to fairly suspect posts themselves because you disagree with them is abuse of the report system, and can be actioned

Is this a generic message? or am I actually at risk of being actioned for reporting some of the crap in that thread?

Mar 18, 2020
Ignoring people who obviously have nothing of value to say seems like a way to cut mods a break. I've got the primary thread itself on ignore because at this point why bother unless you enjoy slap boxing.

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring people who obviously have nothing of value to say seems like a way to cut mods a break. I've got the primary thread itself on ignore because at this point why bother unless you enjoy slap boxing.

Occasionally I forget a few of the voices I've muted until someone responds to them. Rarely am I disappointed by my initial decision.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Ignoring people who post dangerous and false information is not the way to make them go away. Even if it seems "harmless" when someone posts things about Biden having dementia, it can still influence other people to think it's true.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Watching these grifters try to put the almighty $$ ahead of the vulnerable shouldn't surprise anyone. After all, they were sending kids to die in senseless wars so they could make a profit for decades, all under the guise of freedom. Now the masks are finally coming off and they are not even pretending about what is more important to them.

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring people who post dangerous and false information is not the way to make them go away. Even if it seems "harmless" when someone posts things about Biden having dementia, it can still influence other people to think it's true.
It also puts an onus on the individual. Also, you can't ignore all users; some literally can't be ignored.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
So, here's a thing that bothers me.

I, too, had family that suffered dementia/Alzheimer's. My granduncle died of dementia in hospice a little over 8 years ago after suffering it for a decade; my paternal grandfather died of Alzheimer's on New Year's Eve in 2016 after declining for over a decade; my maternal grandfather shot himself in the head and died in my grandparents' basement after he suffered a stroke and couldn't handle the prospect of declining from it. I've dealt pretty well with those things all told.

But, this site has a constant, steady stream of topics regarding people who are suicidal, anxious or depressed enough to at least have suicidal ideation, people so upset by abstractions in the world that have yet to affect them or never will yet they will crow endlessly about the mental toll those abstractions place upon them, among other things. And they are given as much care as seems can be over the anonymizing effects of the internet, an approach that recognizes that reality and perception don't align and can't align in the human head.

So where is the goddamn sympathy for those of us who find language of dismissal, harm, and outright conspiracy theory regarding topics like dementia/Alzheimer's? Is it because we seem like a hardier crew that can stand it? If so, that seems like a fucking travesty.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Patientzero I find your avatar to be a microaggression please remove it. Also your name. May I recommend the name Fluffykittens.

Mar 18, 2020

Understandable, but like I said before if that thread serves as a partition to keep idiocy from spilling over into useful threads then I feel like letting them give each other handies in a dark room is fine for now. Those same people get quickly sniped if they poke into other threads, like this one, and most people have lost interest in the primaries themselves at this point.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable, but like I said before if that thread serves as a partition to keep idiocy from spilling over into useful threads then I feel like letting them give each other handies in a dark room is fine for now.
I mean, just sayin, the guy that wandered in here a few hours ago with his low effort shitposting which derailed the thread into its current discussion is still alive and kicking. Makes ya think!

Has she been symptomatic? I am trying not to freak out but the inaction and defensive crouch FL has been in the past two weeks has made me paranoid about giving my wife or kid something.

Yeah she wasnt feeling well and had some chest tightness last week so she went for a test today and got positive. She says she mostly feels better.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Sean Sullivan @WaPoSean

Per a person w/knowledge of the situation: There is a growing sense among some in the Sanders camp that Biden's response to the coronavirus has been shaky and that could justify Sanders's continued presence in the contest, especially since Trump's approval rating is ticking up. https://twitter.com/WaPoSean/status/1242591985065775104 …

7:22 PM - Mar 24, 2020

How does Biden's "shaky response" get Bernie to 1,991 delegates?

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
How does Biden's "shaky response" get Bernie to 1,991 delegates?
You have to take into account retroactive momentum....and then,.....okay
So then...right, what you have is....but it's all about the super delegates.....see they don't vote until....
Really, what you need here is a REVOLUTION.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, just sayin, the guy that wandered in here a few hours ago with his low effort shitposting which derailed the thread into its current discussion is still alive and kicking. Makes ya think!

Yeah she wasnt feeling well and had some chest tightness last week so she went for a test today and got positive. She says she mostly feels better.

OK, that's somewhat reassuring. My mom is in Orlando and already has health issues she manages. When I see how few confirmed infections are being reported here, I keep waiting to wake up and hear Miami-Dade or Orange has 1000 cases and more deaths overnight.

I hope your sis has no lasting problems. We could all use a few million breaks right about now

Status
Not open for further replies.