• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Triangulating the GOP Senate out of the picture by abusing the fact that they are not independent but slaved to the administration's wishes is 100% the right legislative approach. Individual senators have low immediate needs to answer to, Trump OTOH would do almost anything if he thought it would get him re-elected.
"Susan COLLINS voted to create a $500 billion corporate slush fund while Main(e) Street died," as images of shuttered iron works and unemployed fishermen flash across the screen.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Triangulating the GOP Senate out of the picture by abusing the fact that they are not independent but slaved to the administration's wishes is 100% the right legislative approach. Individual senators have low immediate needs to answer to, Trump OTOH would do almost anything if he thought it would get him re-elected.
im not sure I understand. You mean just make trump happy with a Pelosi deal and they will have to vote for it? If so fine but is munching that different from talking to McConnell? Actually maybe it is.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Winner

What a weird campaign cycle this would be though.

No events
No rallies
No conventions
It's just like baked in

Whatever happens now...is what people do?

I'm going to Greece in September so let's go people let's get over it.

I think the campaigns wind up flash frozen, and given that name ID is 100% baked in there's not a ton of room for either party to define the other-we have basically the equivalent of the Dem primaries, where there's tons of handwringing and bedwetting for months (on TOP of everyone's new friend General Anxiety Disorder) and when we all vote everything comes up Biden because we're in a depression and still fighting over n95 masks and PPE.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
So they basically want to blame us for causing the market to tank.
It tanks every time Trump opens his mouth so good luck with that GOP.
Man if this shit continues to election day, what will happen then? Trump may win again due to depressed voter turnout. :/
Unhappy voters always find a way. And as much as I hate to say this the virus is probably having a disproportionate impact on Trump voters since none of them were taking it seriously.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
So they basically want to blame us for causing the market to tank.

15 minutes after the market opens, so when the circuit breakers go off at the open they can go off again after we dumpster his shit sandwich a second time.

Stock market is NOT the real economy. People can endure equity losses, but the equity markets will not endure the deflation that comes from not getting a ton of money to people to spend it immediately.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

What's PATHETIC is y'all acting like this was No Big Deal for months, not doing a *damn thing* to protect the nation while it festered except adjusting your stock portfolios, debasing yourself praising Trump's obvious incompetence, and now acting outraged about the whole thing

Ossoff going in. I need the spray bottle.

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting strategy. Don't think it'll work, though

Yeah. Since the NYSE is all electronic on Monday, what if the systems "crash" due to activity overload, or trading is halted due to steep drops, before then? Or other Senators "call out sick" due to self-quarantine in the almost 11 hours until then? Or Cuomo decides to give his daily briefing at 9 am?

You'd think this would be a perfect late-night run if you wanted to get away with passing something, but no it will be done at the riskiest time. Talk about playing chicken.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I wasnt following politics all that much when they bailed out the banks. What was the overall feeling about it then from the average republicans? I only remember democrats being upset.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
McConnell is a horrible legislator and tactician whose only move is saying, "No."

When he has to be productive, he falters.

Yoma

Oct 25, 2017
McConnel basically saying: "Pass this shitty bill or I'll scapegoat you" kinda doesn't work if Pelosi and Mnuchin are cooperating for something better lol.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
it doesn't work because their measures don't even have wide conservative backing, and don't provide the immediate massive relief that everyone is saying is necessary.

Bad bill is Bad.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
it doesn't work because their measures don't even have wide conservative backing, and don't provide the immediate massive relief that everyone is saying is necessary.

Bad bill is Bad.
Yep. As Kirblar said, the left, center, and center-right seem to be united on what needs to happen, with minor differences. McConnell's trying to pass far-right regressive Republican nonsense.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
You see i see this constantly these days from the usual folk and my spidey sense always correctly responds bullshit. It's like the catch all phrase for folks to get real lazy in bashing anyone they deem anti progressive. Usually from the Bernie camp. I don't want him as president, but it's clear as day he is giving a shit about helping his state.
I know that this is a super late response but I wanted to address it. My issue isn't that he isn't progressive enough, my issue is that he isn't a good leader. Yes, he's addressing COVID, but that doesn't default to making him a good leader. He's had two full terms already to show his leadership, and he's done nothing. Yes, in a crisis he's taking action, but to me that doesn't wipe away the last 10 years of his administration. He's dragged his feet on good legislation if he isn't spearheading it, and actively undermined his own party with a breakaway sect of Dems so that he could play everyone off eachother. Meanwhile he has increasingly neglected upstate to the point where he barely even comes to the Capital if he can avoid it. The asshole doesn't even live in the mansion and yes, I think that's pretty shitty.

Giving a shit about COVID is about the bare minimum a leader should do. If he gave a shit about the State he would pass good legislation even if it wasn't his idea.

Oct 26, 2017
The market has been taking for two weeks straight. What's another day if it means negotiating a better long-term solution that helps average Americans? At least I hope that's how the majority of Democrats are looking at it.

I think McConnell is trying to prey upon the Democrat's stock portfolio and donor-base with this Revote threat after the markets open. Hope it backfires.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I wasnt following politics all that much when they bailed out the banks. What was the overall feeling about it then from the average republicans? I only remember democrats being upset.
Initially, it was the Republican House that rejected the bailout. They voted it down and the market tanked. Really it was the Dems that were leading the way on the issue because, again, they want to keep the country from falling apart.

Later everyone got to hate on it for any number of reasons.

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Sahil Kapur on Twitter

“One fact the COVID-19 crisis highlights is that the financial constraints on U.S. public policy are self-imposed. Congress is debating a $1.6 trillion-plus bill and nobody‘s asking “how are we gonna pay for it?” They all know the answer: borrow the cash because they can.”

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
The thing is that the stock markets wouldn't even be all that happy with the GOP bill.

The markets want liquidity ( few toxic or illiquid assets) and a sign that we are willing to run giant deficits to get people to keep living and prevent some deflationary trap that prevents orderly debt monetization and consumer deleveraging.

edit: imagine a world where instead of saying how are you going to pay for that, you instead say what you would do with the money and resources instead.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017

I really feel for Romney here. This is my biggest fear too. I couldn't care less if I get it for myself, but I wouldn't be able to be near my oldest son for two weeks. Just rip my heart out now.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah I do hope the Senate Dems stay strong here if significant changes aren't made. I think the general public remembers the 2008 bailouts and I don't believe they'd go for such a weak measure towards individuals. And one that basically allows business who take these funds to fire everyone anyway. At least I'd hope not.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

twitter.com

Sahil Kapur on Twitter

“One fact the COVID-19 crisis highlights is that the financial constraints on U.S. public policy are self-imposed. Congress is debating a $1.6 trillion-plus bill and nobody‘s asking “how are we gonna pay for it?” They all know the answer: borrow the cash because they can.”

When was the last time Republicans were fiscally responsible?

Trump's deficits in 3 years were over 10% higher than Obama's entire second term. Once you factor in their bailout packages which to be fair would be expensive for any Pres but Trump's apathy and refusal to test anyone have made this situation far far worse, his first term is probably going to be about 2.5x as expensive as Obama's second term.

I remember when he was going to eliminate all of the US' national debt in 8 years.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
When was the last time Republicans were fiscally responsible?
Probably Bush the Older.

But Reagan, W Bush, and now Trump all ballooned the deficit. Republicans have never believed in "fiscal responsibility" except as a talking point to label Democrats as tax-and-spend liberals (who give your white money to black people).

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017

I really feel for Romney here. This is my biggest fear too. I couldn't care less if I get it for myself, but I wouldn't be able to be near my oldest son for two weeks. Just rip my heart out now.

He's not a pleb like us. He'll get tested, probably more than once, over a couple days and if it's negative I don't see why he won't be able to see his wife.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Craig Caplan @CraigCaplan

McConnell and Schumer now both on Senate floor speaking on Phase 3 talks.

McConnell asked consent for Senate to return tomorrow at 9am so Senate can hold revote at 9:45am. Schumer objects:"We don't need artificial deadlines. We will get this done. We will come in at Noon and hopefully we will have an agreement by then."

McConnell responds:"The result of what the Democratic Ldr just did was to prevent us from voting right after markets open in the morning & allow markets to be rattled until Noon,further evidence of reckless behavior we've witnessed on Democratic side in Senate over the last hrs."

11:48 PM - Mar 22, 2020

Edit:

Craig Caplan @CraigCaplan

Senate returns tomorrow at Noon with no agreement on Phase 3 coronavirus economic relief bill reached but talks continue. Revote could be still held tomorrow to advance the bill. First one failed tonight 47-47.​

11:50 PM - Mar 22, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.