• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Eh.... to be fair, that's how Trump got in. The pundits emphasized that his ceiling was 30-35% and that's about it. Difference is GOP stayed in too long, allowing him to eventually break through. Had everyone else stayed in here, Bernie probably has a similar thing happen. This time, though, the Dems jumped out before that could happen.
I think Trump had an easier time of it thanks to GOP rules, but yes, Bernie would have won with a plurality only if everyone else had tried to stay in the race (even though none of them had a path to a plurality, much less a majority).

I don't even think its "everyone disagrees with you" thing so much as their strategy was clearly banked on a "30% through a super divided field". They needed a different strategy more than they needed a different policy set.
Absolutely, a lot of it is on Sanders and his campaign of grievance. But the "progressives" made their choice in him, so they get to deal with his ceiling.

Warren possibly could have won a primary if she hadn't dared to try driving in Sanders' lane. She also would have made the best president out of any of the candidates this year (and I say that as somebody who doesn't really like her and thinks some of her plans and positions are half-baked or downright farcical), and probably could have attempted real progressive reforms. But there was just no chance at all for her with Sanders still hogging that side of the road.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Hey at least all of us are low information brainwashed voters not just voters of color this time.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dems are completely subservient to the DNC and their center right vision. I have little hope in the US ever getting a truly left progressive leader ala FDR again.

Truly left? Lol the man who put Japanses people in camps and was not great with civil rights?

Also do you realize that if everything that the idiot moderates are proposing was passed it would still be the biggest government expansion since FDR

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
when 80% of the field is one flavor and you are the other, when they all decide to team up just to stop you it definitely feels like it's coordinated ideal suppression.

When you decide the 80% are the enemy, and you are surprised they dont come flocking to support you, not just attacking the candidates, but telling their voters they are also the enemy.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Dems are completely subservient to the DNC and their center right vision. I have little hope in the US ever getting a truly left progressive leader ala FDR again.

This DNC shit is so dumb. Dems are subservient to their voters. And most voters are dumb and don't value the things I do and I hate them! Convince the electorate if you want to win, or alternatively get lucky and take over the party that way! Meanwhile put a bunch of progressives in at the ground floor so that when the party catches up to you, you can take advantage!

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie, the nearly 80 year old man could have tried to start building his revolution 30 years ago, btw

Looks like dr Ronny got that trump bump and will make it to a runoff

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Biden is gonna win Texas too?

Fuck

This is pretty much over then huh? I haven't been following the news this entire night bc of work but I was able to see some of the results and it looked like Biden absolutely clobbered Bernie in the states he won while Bernie had a smaller lead in the states he won. And Maine and Texas being too close to call is not a good sign for him either (especially if Texas goes to Biden).

Ugh, looks like my prediction from a fucking year ago (Biden wins the nomination due to Bernie being flaccid in the South again) came true. This past month did plenty to try and subvert that expectation but in the end it happens anyway.

:/

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017

below pete?

This is everything I both wanted and needed.

tenor.gif

The Super-est of Tuesdays.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Fucking thank you. This is BASIC SHIT. How Sanders and his supporters can't seem to grasp this is beyond me.
Yeah I've been saying this for a long time, too. If you shit on the party you're trying to become the nominee of, you shouldn't be shocked if absolutely none of those members want to support you after their top choices are out. Regular voters won't understand your anger and be turned off, and party leadership sure as hell won't want to work with you.

That, and, maybe it's called the establishment because people like it? Right now "establishment" dems mean Obama administration policies + the house that impeached Trump.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
When you decide the 80% are the enemy, and you are surprised they dont come flocking to support you, not just attacking the candidates, but telling their voters they are also the enemy.

A party can always nominate who it wants by having 5 of the same people enter the race, and then once it comes down the to end have 4 of them drop out and endorse the other. That isn't democracy. That's just feeding you a candidate and you having to take it.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
A party can always nominate who it wants by having 5 of the same people enter the race, and then once it comes down the to end have 4 of them drop out and endorse the other. That isn't democracy. That's just feeding you a candidate and you having to take it.

...amazing, its not democracy unless the voters vote for your candidate. Especially when your lock failed because they only flocked to Biden AFTER he proved he could win by winning SC.

I think you need to step away from the computer.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Good lord. If 80% of the VOTERS want one person, the 20% candidate has to change messaging/do something different.

80% of the field. Not the voters. Amy, Pete, Biden, Bloomberg (to an extent), etc - vs Bernie/Warren. If you spread the votes out enough with different personalities and then all group up, it's impossible to stop.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Williamson deleted her original tweet, but I still have it.

Klein responded with this.

Yeah tbh that's a hiccup I have with him. Will maybe vote for him...but I'm not up for people who sink for Russian conspiracies.

Also the op thread is complaining about how the moderates condensed around their Biden. Hello? Wut? So if it turned down to Biden vs Bernie way earlier the result wouldn't be the same? The only reason momentum built was cause the field was divided.

And the hopelessness around progressivism....Lord...everything says the window is shifting. Bernie may have lost but his policies are gaining public hearing and recognition. Progressive groups are flourishing and steadily working their way locally and even state wise.

You think Republicans got to power for so long, they built themselves up as well. So will Progressives.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
80% of the field. Not the voters. Amy, Pete, Biden, Bloomberg (to an extent), etc - vs Bernie/Warren. If you spread the votes out enough with different personalities and then all group up, it's impossible to stop.
Or a majority of the voters don't want what Bernie/Warren are selling. It's not some grand conspiracy.

Oct 25, 2017

If Bernie's message wasn't good enough to attract enough voters to win, then his message ain't it, and his candidacy ain't it, either.

The crying about moderates moving out of the way for Biden so that Bernie couldn't skate by on his anemic coalition that might very well have straight up lost the election in November is just wild to me.

I voted for Warren in my primary. I wanted her to win. She won't. I'm not here crying about a secret moderate conspiracy, though.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's harder for an outsider in the Dem primary rules aside that Dem voter base over all still somewhat likes the leadership

not a single thing any republican leadership said mattered to gop voters at all. All of their warnings fell on deaf ears because the gop base hated them all. There was no one like Clyburn who could weigh in and sway things in the way they did.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I think it's harder for an outsider in the Dem primary rules aside that Dem voter base over all still somewhat likes the leadership

not a single thing any republican leadership said mattered to gop voters at all. All of their warnings fell on deaf ears because the gop base hated them all. There was no one like Clyburn who could weigh in and sway things in the way they did.

There'a no comparable (living) figure to Obama in the GOP either. It's just an asset for Biden that was immutable.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see OT has broken out the snake emojis.

*sigh*
I mean, all night we've kind of been skirting around it. Even prior to the snake emojis, it was 'Warren should have dropped out Saturday,' or 'Why is Warren even here' or 'Warren losing to Pete lmao'.

People aren't subtle about it, even when they think they are, because they aren't clever enough to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.