• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
ESMiz71U0AAADO4
Fed cuts interest rate by half a percent
Trump: More cuts!

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that well versed in World Economics, but to me China has always seemed incredibly fragile and its recent misfortunes might actually pop that bubble right? Isn't a worldwide recession pretty much guaranteed at this point?
At some point, yeah. When that happens is the question. And we see that Trump will do whatever it takes to artificially pump up the markets so that doesn't happen before the election.

Which will only make it worse when the recession actually does hit

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
It's gonna hurt.

And I keep wondering when that China housing market is gonna pop.

Whenever the Chinese debt bubble pops it's gonna get real ugly

I'm kind of worried that this rate cut is only going to shake the markets more - consumer spending and wages were up the last two months and unemployment is still at a record low, demand hasn't dissipated, the fuck are they cutting for? Really vouching for the health of the economy there.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever the Chinese debt bubble pops it's gonna get real ugly

I'm kind of worried that this rate cut is only going to shake the markets more - consumer spending and wages were up the last two months and unemployment is still at a record low, demand hasn't dissipated, the fuck are they cutting for? Really vouching for the health of the economy there.
It's a house of cards man.

They're just juicing the market on horseshoes and bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Alayna Treene on Twitter

“@MikeBloomberg Bloomberg got visibly frustrated as reporters pressed him on whether he’ll drop out to unite with other moderates behind Biden: “Joe’s taking votes away from me! … It goes in both directions. Have you asked Joe if he’s going to drop out? .. I have no intention of dropping out"”

Oct 25, 2017
They're juicing the markets enough to get Trump reelected. Economy might collapse in 2021 or 2022, but worth it for an extra SCOTUS seat to fuck over voting rights even more.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol sanders should be pushing hard for bloomberg to stay in the race. Bloombergs ego has a high chance of handing sanders the nomination.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Alayna Treene on Twitter

“@MikeBloomberg Bloomberg got visibly frustrated as reporters pressed him on whether he’ll drop out to unite with other moderates behind Biden: “Joe’s taking votes away from me! … It goes in both directions. Have you asked Joe if he’s going to drop out? .. I have no intention of dropping out"”

On the plus side, Bloomberg is an egomaniac who may not drop.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Bloomberg would push for a Biden presidency anymore than he would for a Bernie presidency.

He is bizarre arrogant and I think he actually believes he should be president, nobody else.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I don't think Bloomberg would push for a Biden presidency anymore than he would for a Bernie presidency.

He is bizarre arrogant and I think he actually believes he should be president, nobody else.
This is a wild take. He would be considerably less rich under a Bernie administration. Bloomberg ultimately cares about his money and would much rather have Biden win.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Warren and Bloomberg are Amy/Pete V2. As soon as one's gone the other will be too.
What does Bloomberg have to gain from outlasting Warren in this race? I realize he hates her for kneecaping his run and humiliating him in front of the entire world, but is he really petty enough to stay in and keep hemorrhaging money just to have the last laugh?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Is he? I think you're confusing a few vocal twitter asshats with Bernie's campaign approach in general.

My run-on sentence is a little confusing, sorry. I simply think things like his "working class" tweet from the other day only helps embolden the twitter asshats, not that the he, himself, is using such language. I do think some of his official surrogates straddle the line way too close though.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
This is a wild take. He would be considerably less rich under a Bernie administration. Bloomberg ultimately cares about his money and would much rather have Biden win.
He's worth $60bn. Sanders isn't going to make him considerably less rich, lol.

He's also 78 and has signed the giving pledge, so it's probably whatever to him.

I'm just saying, his recent quotes don't really make me believe that he's back Biden when all is said and done. His ego is rampant.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I was thinking. Could you imagine Bloomberg dropping out because Obama of all people told him to? No way.
I don't think it's impossible that Bloomberg drops out after today. He might save himself the embarrassment with some bullshit excuse if he gets blown out despite his blatant political bribery. He'll probably endorse Biden to save face if he does. But I also think it's likely he stays in because, well, fragile, massive ego.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
If people don't vote for Bloomberg it kind of doesn't matter if he's in or out of the race

Oct 27, 2017
Coronavirus now confirmed in my local area.

Part of the testing availability problem is that the test kits themselves were defective. We should be trying to get more from the WHO and others.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Pence was seen recently shaking hands and generally hanging out with some of the people infected in Sarasota. I wonder if we'll see a big difference in how the administration treats the virus if they become sick themselves, or if Pence would just be thrown under the bus.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Coronavirus now confirmed in my local area.

Part of the testing availability problem is that the test kits themselves were defective. We should be trying to get more from the WHO and others.

The WHO has collated a bunch of protocols with easily available commercial reagents. The CDC trying to source their own kits was dumb AF and pretty nonsensical given the wide availability of these reagents (they're even produced by an American company lol)

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a lot of bluster from Bloomberg. Ultimately, I don't see him spending another half a billion dollars just to get to a contested convention with <20% of the delegates. He'll drop and most of his pledged delegates will go to Biden.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Oh crap, the market is down today. Time for another rate cut, even if it's only 90 minutes after the last one! What a farce. The Fed acted too soon, the market was already up big last couple of days. Now, if the market goes back to retest those recent lows, what will they do? The Fed is looking very political here. They lowered rates even as the China deal was about to be signed, because of trade disruption supposedly, then never took back that rate cut after the deal. Now this emergency half point cut, after six months of money printing too.

Now:

The Federal Reserve is cutting but must further ease and, most importantly, come into line with other countries/competitors. We are not playing on a level field. Not fair to USA. It is finally time for the Federal Reserve to LEAD. More easing and cutting!

Then (2016):

GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump told CNBC on Monday the Federal Reserve is doing what President Barack Obama wants by keeping interest rates low.

Fed Chair Janet Yellen and central bank policymakers are very political, and Yellen should be "ashamed" of what she's doing to the country, Trump said, adding the Fed is not even close to being independent.

By keeping interest rates low, the Fed has created a "false stock market," Trump argued in a wide-ranging interview in which he also talked about Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton's health problems.

Trump said rates are being kept lower to bolster Obama's legacy. "Any increase at all will be a very, very small increase because they want to keep the market up so Obama goes out and let the new guy ... raise interest rates ... and watch what happens in the stock market."

American savers are the worst hit by the Fed's easy monetary policies, Trump said. "The ones who did it right — they saved their money [and] they cut down on their mortgages, ... and now they're practically getting zero interest on the money."

www.cnbc.com

TRUMP: Janet Yellen should be ‘ashamed’ of what she’s doing to the country

GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump tells CNBC the Federal Reserve is doing what President Barack Obama wants by keeping interest rates low.

Status
Not open for further replies.