• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my there is so much wrong with what is described in this story (despite it not being a grift for cash)

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Biden looks like he got exactly what he needed from that debate + Clyburn endorsement. This things not gonna be resolved for a while.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
What is lying though? Warren believed that she had a larger degree of native american than she really had yes. But even if her belief had been accurate, do you think she should have been self identifying that way and filling out forms saying that she was of that group when her entire life was spent as a white woman with no tribal associations?

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I don't have any onus to prove that because she did do what I'm saying, and many Native Americans still feel harmed by what she's done and don't think she's gone far enough with the apology. Maybe you should read the letter I posted from some Native Americans instead of insinuating that I'm lying about the harm caused to them by Elizabeth Warren, and you're being extremely dismissive of the harm that she caused.

Boss. Nobody is being dismissive.

The Cherokee nation officially made this statement.

Prior to yesterday, your letter that you hinge this argument on didn't exist. What was your argument yesterday?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
What is lying though? Warren believed that she had a larger degree of native american than she really had yes. But even if her belief had been accurate, do you think she should have been self identifying that way and filling out forms saying that she was of that group when her entire life was spent as a white woman with no tribal associations?

But that's the difference here -- she did a bad thing she shouldn't have done. I don't disagree with that. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But did she, at the time, believe that she had more Native American ancestry than she had? Most likely yes. Does that make what she did better? No. But does it make it "lying"? Probably not, being lying would imply malicious intent. Lying would be knowing that she actually wasn't Native American and still claiming to be.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw an ad for Mike Bloomberg during an NBA game and it looks like Tim Duncan endorsed him? I'm kind of flabbergasted.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Data for Progress on Twitter

“South Carolina Democratic Primary Topline Results: Biden - 34 Sanders - 25 Steyer - 13 Buttigieg - 13 Warren - 7 Klobuchar - 5 2/23-2/27 - 1416 Likely Voters - Text to Web https://t.co/qRXkc7U82U”

If I were Sanders I'd be pretty happy with that result. A number of other polls have him around or under the threshold. Not to mention he'd much rather Biden's margin be single digits instead of like 15-20.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Biden looks like he got exactly what he needed from that debate + Clyburn endorsement. This things not gonna be resolved for a while.
Bernie is going to net hundreds of delegates on Super Tuesday while not getting completely shut out in SC. We'll probably have a very clear answer by next Wednesday.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you said she was lying. Do you think she knew that she wasn't Native American and still decided to claim to be?
Did she say she was Native American for decades? Yes
Is she Native American? No
Did she cause harm to Native Americans who still don't feel like she's gone far enough? Yes

You can argue intent and in the end nobody knows other than Warren herself if she thought she was Native American or not, but like I said I refute this idea that nobody has a clue that your DNA doesn't make you Native American, and if you're in a position of importance like a US Senator, you should probably wonder about whether you've been told, and are telling the truth about your heritage. Whether it was her intent to lie or not is irrelevant because it was negligence and she hurt a lot of people because of that negligence.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I'm too lazy to do the math -- is it better for him if Steyer crosses the 15% threshold or not? Does Biden net fewer delegates?
it's really a tough call. for one, sanders needs every delegate he can to try and either reach 50% or as close as possible. but on the other hand, he needs biden to be as far behind him as possible. that's if -- and it's a big if -- sanders even has a chance if he doesn't get 50% delegates.

in this case, it'd probably be to biden's benefit if buttigieg made the threshold, to sanders' benefit if steyer made the threshold.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
But that's the difference here -- she did a bad thing she shouldn't have done. I don't disagree with that. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But did she, at the time, believe that she had more Native American ancestry than she had? Most likely yes. Does that make what she did better? No. But does it make it "lying"? Probably not, being lying would imply malicious intent. Lying would be knowing that she actually wasn't Native American and still claiming to be.
My stance would be that she wasn't really lying about it so much as misrepresenting. But it still makes her look like someone exploiting her privilege and being incredibly naive about the entire situation. Someone with her intelligence and knowledge should have known better.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Did she cause harm to Native Americans who still don't feel like she's gone far enough? Yes

You can argue intent and in the end nobody knows other than Warren herself if she thought she was Native American or not, but like I said I refute this idea that nobody has a clue that your DNA doesn't make you Native American, and if you're in a position of importance like a US Senator, you should probably wonder about whether you've been told, and are telling the truth about your heritage. Whether it was her intent to lie or not is irrelevant because it was negligence and she hurt a lot of people because of that negligence.
Intent does matter if you -- and I mean you, specially because you've used that word -- want to you use the word lying because that word literally implies intent.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
My stance would be that she wasn't really lying about it so much as misrepresenting. But it still makes her look like someone exploiting her privilege and being incredibly naive about the entire situation. Someone with her intelligence and knowledge should have known better.
I agree that she misrepresented. I do not think you can use the word "lying" given what we know, which is why I was annoyed to begin with.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That's a good top line result for Bernie all things considered, but that he's trailing Biden by 30 points with black voters has me worried about potential GE implications.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017

twitter.com

Data for Progress on Twitter

“South Carolina Democratic Primary Topline Results: Biden - 34 Sanders - 25 Steyer - 13 Buttigieg - 13 Warren - 7 Klobuchar - 5 2/23-2/27 - 1416 Likely Voters - Text to Web https://t.co/qRXkc7U82U”

This is not a bad result for Bernie. If he could perform just a bit better and bring the gap closer to 5 points I'd consider that a great result for one of the most conservative black states in the country.

Edit: meant to say this is not a bad result

Last edited:

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
Yup. I'm too lazy to do the math -- is it better for him if Steyer crosses the 15% threshold or not? Does Biden net fewer delegates?
If Steyer gets to 15% it will cut Biden's delegate lead over Sanders by roughly around 25% (with those poll numbers ) vs if Steyer wasn't viable

Last edited:

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
He has no money and no infrastructure set up for Super Tuesday (where multiple states already have early voting). Biden could be the only viable candidate in SC and it probably wouldn't change too much

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Native Americans have had genocide committed to them, stripped of their rights, and made irrelevant. A United States Senator shouldn't have been this negligent when it comes to Native American heritage, people who were mass murdered and robbed of the land they naturally inhabited by colonizers, and even today are put on reservations while we completely forget their existence for the large part.

And now we have people on this forum who think it was an innocent mistake that a United States Senator, who identified as a PoC, never seemed to think critically about whether she actually is Native American or not, and think it was an innocent mistake that she released a DNA test trying to prove her status as a Native American, and harmed many Native Americans, over 200 who still feel betrayed.

I don't think it's an innocent mistake, she had decades to clear up the story, and instead of actually talking to Native Americans about it she released a DNA test. This was not some small mistake, this was severe negligence towards a community who historically have been ignored, stepped on, and been treated as sub-human for hundreds of years.

Warren is 70 years old, she's a United States Senator, she had a long time and every opportunity to prevent the harm she caused.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
The whole Warren discussion is dumb. Literally no one except Trump has brought it up in weeks/months.

She did something dumb, apologized, moved on, and then a letter came up again two days ago, of which only a handful of people were talking about it.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's because she's been very misleading with some her attacks on Bernie, just like she was very misleading about being a Native American. Let's not pretend everyone's issues with Warren are because she's a woman, that does a disservice to some of the real criticisms and discussion of those criticisms against her. I don't think you'd find many people here saying that the only reason people don't like Bernie is because he's Jewish.
You can't trust that shady women.

Jesus.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
I am holding out hope for Warren despite the fact that there's probably less than a 1% chance of her being the nominee.

But I'm reluctantly coming to the realization it's gonna be Bernie vs Biden. Probably.

Should Warren drop out before I get to vote, I'm either going to sit out the rest of the primary or write in.

I'd take boring over Bloomberg in a heartbeat, personally speaking.

Trust me, I'd take garden shear over Bloomberg any day of the week. Bernie vs Biden is just yawn-worthy on my end.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

This ENTIRE conversation started because you called her a liar on this subject. So yeah it kind of does matter. Similar to how in a civil or criminal court, intent (or lack thereof) has a HUGE influence on the nature of the charges and whether or not someone is to be found guilty. That she did a bad thing is not in dispute but it matters, and it matters a lot, if she did it maliciously. That has yet to be proven.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Native Americans have had genocide committed to them, stripped of their rights, and made irrelevant. A United States Senator shouldn't have been this negligent when it comes to Native American heritage, people who were mass murdered and robbed of the land they naturally inhabited by colonizers, and even today are put on reservations while we completely forget their existence for the large part.

And now we have people on this forum who think it was an innocent mistake that a United States Senator, who identified as a PoC, never seemed to think critically about whether she actually is Native American or not, and think it was an innocent mistake that she released a DNA test trying to prove her status as a Native American, and harmed many Native Americans, over 200 who still feel betrayed.

I don't think it's an innocent mistake, she had decades to clear up the story, and instead of actually talking to Native Americans about it she released a DNA test. This was not some small mistake, this was severe negligence towards a community who historically have been ignored, stepped on, and been treated as sub-human for hundreds of years.

Warren is 70 years old, she's a United States Senator, she had a long time and every opportunity to prevent the harm she caused.
The problem is you're not actually arguing with anyone's point, you're arguing with the point you want to be arguing with.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
We won't know until Saturday. What he really needs is a win margin of 15 percent or more to really open the money spigots. A single digit win may not net the tens of millions of dollars he's going to need for Super Tuesday and beyond.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole Warren discussion is dumb. Literally no one except Trump has brought it up in weeks/months.

She did something dumb, apologized, moved on, and then a letter came up again two days ago, of which only a handful of people were talking about it.
Yeah, nobody has brought it up other than the over 200 Native Americans who just wrote a letter saying they're still hurt.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, nobody has brought it up other than the 200 Native Americans who just wrote a letter saying they're still hurt.

If 200 Jewish people came out tomorrow and said they thought t was hurtful that Bernie Sanders continues to support terrorists who send rockets into Israel, would you say that Bernie needs to think about that?

Again, the actual leadership of the Cherokee Nation responded positively to what Warren has done. There's enough people in America that you can find a group of 200 of any group to be upset at a politician over something.

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else see the clip on CNN of Trump hosting a Black History Month thing and a guy proudly exclaims that Trump is the first black President and everyone in there starts cheering?

SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.