• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
The GOP aren't going to do anything. At most you'll get Hurd in the House and Romney in the Senate. Stop expecting them to have a limit.

This is my theory.

The chance of about 15-20 GOP Senators voting to convict is around 50% right now. BUT...

....aside from maaaybe Romney, no GOP Senator wants to be seen as supporting the DEM House impeachment push. They'll get roasted by their base and risk a flurry of primary challengers right when the filing deadline is upon them. BUT...

... the GOP Senators are quietly sitting on the sidelines waiting to see how much damaging info and hard facts the Democrats are able to compile for articles of impeachment. If the impeachment articles are kind of scattershot, nebulous, or unfocused then yeah you probably won't get a single GOP voting to convict. But if the impeachment articles are laser focused with undisputed facts, then it puts GOP Senators in a tough spot. If the GOP Senators unanimously vote to acquit Trump of abuse of power for colluding with a foreign power to interfere with a Presidential election, then the GOP will be solely responsible for ushering in a new age where foreign actors will be welcomed with a red carpet to interfere with our elections.

It's a Trap Card. if the Democrats play it right. The GOP will have only two options. Either throw Trump out of office or forever own foreign interference in our elections. And it's not obvious which option to pick.. Acquitting Trump may seem like the safer option in the near-term, but these Senators have 6 year terms and I'm sure they're not thrilled about the prospect of having Russian, Chinese, or North Korean hackers going through all their emails and digging through their digital history every election cycle, especially those with Presidential ambitions.

So if the impeachment articles are laser focused on the Ukraine scandal and foreign interference with our US elections, then I put the odds at 50/50 on Trump getting convicted even if GOP Senators are dead silent now. A more comprehensive set of impeachment articles might be more satisfying and a better redline for history, but it would dramatically reduce the chances of conviction in the Senate since it would make it easy for GOP Senators to call the whole thing a "witch hunt" because they'll probably latch on to one of the weaker impeachment articles.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Republican would ever vote to convict Trump. It's political suicide.
And this is why the country will be destroyed. Crimes be damned, it's all just political suicide cause the cult leader has easy access to his cultists via social media, the thing the Senate was supposed to protect against in the outdated constitution.

Good Hunter

Alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
And this is why the country will be destroyed. Crimes be damned, it's all just political suicide cause the cult leader has easy access to his cultists via social media, the thing the Senate was supposed to protect against in the outdated constitution.
Dems need to seriously consider copying the dirty tactics Republican use. Cutting polling places in rural areas should be on the agenda in every blue state. The only way we survive is if our side learns to fight fire with fire.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Dems need to seriously consider copying the dirty tactics Republican use. Cutting polling places in rural areas should be on the agenda in every blue state. The only way we survive is if our side learns to fight fire with fire.
Hell fricking no. This is horrific. We are not the party of restricting voting. Disenfranchisement is wrong because it is wrong, not because it doesn't help us.

We fight by being better than them. We win by making a better argument. The shit the GOP pulls is morally reprehensible. I'd never be part of a party who embraces that kinda bullshit.

Good Hunter

Alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Hell fricking no. This is horrific. We are not the party of restricting voting. Disenfranchisement is wrong because it is wrong, not because it doesn't help us.

We fight by being better than them. We win by making a better argument. The shit the GOP pulls is morally reprehensible. I'd never be part of a party who embraces that kinda bullshit.
The shit the GOP pulls is effective. When my opponent is fascist, I'd rather cheat and win then play fair and lose. There is no higher moral than defeating these people.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why not try to make the election a public holiday?
Fuck, if you want to do something more radical, how about pushing for a hard or soft mandatory voting?
All those things are better than voter suppression.

Also, I think America needs to take a long hard look at the way its government is set up and where the incentives are, because this shit is fucking broken, and it needs to be fixed. But that's a longer term project, though we can start by at least on the left electing people who don't treat the constitution like scripture and the supreme court like the voice of the high priest.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you should be trying to reduce the disproportionate voting power of rural places though. I don't know if that counts as disenfranchisement.

Abolish the Senate.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Besides the fact that this is an ethically terrible idea, it would backfire horribly from a strategic standpoint as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
A "win at all costs" strategy very easily leads to a "only winning matters" mentality, and from there it's all down hill.

See: Republicans

Good Hunter

Alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
From the Republican perspective it's all been uphill. They're getting everything they always wanted.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017

I know this upcoming election feels like the most important thing to ever happen, but life and country goes on for way longer than the next election. It's important that 40 years from now, we can point back to Trump times and say we were on the right side of the history.

Republican tactics are short-sighted. Anger, lies, chaos and "only winning matter" -tactics are destructive behaviours that produce nothing long-lasting. Time and demographical changes are on side of Democrats. Don't ruin it now by trying to become Republicans.

Good Hunter

Alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
As a Muslim-American I don't have the luxury of dismissing the immediate future for a hypothetical moral victory in the distant future.

Nov 20, 2017
Millions of people who voted for Trump in 2016 were holding their nose while they did it. That will not be the case in 2020.

news.gallup.com

Trump Favorability Up, but Trails Other Presidents-Elect

Donald Trump's favorability rating has improved from 34% to 42% after his election win and is his best since 2011.

Roughly 70% of Republicans viewed Trump favorably before the 2016 election. That number is around 90% now. I fully expect Trump to surpass his raw vote total from 2016 quite easily regardless of who the Dems nominate. If the Dem candidate doesn't inspire Obama 08 level turnout, we're all fucked.

news.gallup.com

Presidential Approval Ratings -- Donald Trump

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Donald Trump is handling his job as president?

This is very sound analysis thanks

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blue states are already blue. We don't need to rig anything to win them and there is nothing gained by trying to disenfranchise red voters in a blue state.

Instead we need to be working harder on those Purple States and the flipflop states. Hillary won the Popular vote by millions and lost the Electoral college by roughly 50-60k votes total. Hillary had 30+ years of being painted as the boogeyman and was not popular at all in the Midwest of the United States which if you look at the 2012 versus 2016 map you can see how massively the Midwest shifted from Democrat to Republican.

So trying to be like Republicans and shit on Red Voters in Blue states would accomplish nothing on the national level.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
As a Muslim-American I don't have the luxury of dismissing the immediate future for a hypothetical moral victory in the distant future.

I'm not saying give up fighting. What I'm saying is, be careful of how you do it. Precedence you set today might accidentally become rule of future. It's hard to get back the principles you break.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean you should be trying to reduce the disproportionate voting power of rural places though. I don't know if that counts as disenfranchisement.

Abolish the Senate.
I don't think that it does, and I 100% support abolishing the senate. I took exception to the idea of cutting polling places in rural areas.

I seriously doubt you can get the senate abolished through parliamentarian ways though, since I doubt many senators will vote to abolish their job.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I am not entirely sure what you are suggesting, but I guess I do have the luxury of "waiting things out". So I can't really be the judge.

Last edited:

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, now I can associate people who like Chapo Trap House with people who would cheat to win elections.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
There were a good 6-8 headlines yesterday that would have been blockbusters on their own that were absolutely freaking buried by other even more horrible stuff, so uh, I have no idea wtf to expect today. Maybe everyone will settle down and start their weekends early. It's been a rough few weeks, after all.

But seriously, I don't know how you're possibly supposed to top the fucking president asking another country on live TV to interfere with our elections. He said it so casually I don't think it received the appropriate public reaction something that crazy deserves.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

We lose the moral high ground with our own voters, provides more ammunition for the press and GOP against the party, and destabilises the country further into a failed state. This is only good if you want the system to crumble and expect to be at the top once the dust settles.

Re: Chapo Trap House

Always a good idea to reflect on why a progressive community would consist overwhelmingly of 20 year old straight white dudes.

As well as providing cover for tank ies.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, Kamala raised more money than I thought she did. She's only a few million off from Biden. Though that's more of indictment on Biden's poor fundraising and the rest of the frontrunners overall. Not really a sign of strength that Warren is literally waiting for everyone else to post their numbers first.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Millions of people who voted for Trump in 2016 were holding their nose while they did it. That will not be the case in 2020.

news.gallup.com

Trump Favorability Up, but Trails Other Presidents-Elect

Donald Trump's favorability rating has improved from 34% to 42% after his election win and is his best since 2011.

Roughly 70% of Republicans viewed Trump favorably before the 2016 election. That number is around 90% now. I fully expect Trump to surpass his raw vote total from 2016 quite easily regardless of who the Dems nominate. If the Dem candidate doesn't inspire Obama 08 level turnout, we're all fucked.

news.gallup.com

Presidential Approval Ratings -- Donald Trump

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Donald Trump is handling his job as president?
The ones who held their noses aren't his base.

You're right it won't be the case in 2020, because a lot of those same people won't give him a second chance.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Kamala raised more money than I thought she did. She's only a few million off from Biden. Though that's more of indictment on Biden's poor fundraising and the rest of the frontrunners overall. Not really a sign of strength that Warren is literally waiting for everyone else to post their numbers first.

I thought Biden jumped-the-gun with his numbers? Wasn't he going to reveal on the last possible day, then gave a number at a rally? In which case, Warren probably set a day, and then got surprised by Biden's announcement.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Biden announced his numbers to a bunch or high dollar donors basically off the cuff.

His staff were surprised and wouldn't confirm at first lol.
Another number dropped today, for the candidate perceived to have been the front-runner for most of the cycle, Joe Biden, and it's not going to blow anyone's socks off: He raised $15 million, or so he said at a fundraising event (his campaign may have been surprised he had said that and initially declined to comment before confirming the number as $15.2 million).

Last edited:

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

Doing the opposite by bringing more people into the process would be much more effective, without being a dirty tactic, and actually leaning more into the spirit of the US - add more polling places everywhere, extend/allow early/mail-in voting everywhere, consider a voting public holiday, give DC and US territories Statehood, etc.

Oct 26, 2017
This is my theory.

The chance of about 15-20 GOP Senators voting to convict is around 50% right now. BUT...

....aside from maaaybe Romney, no GOP Senator wants to be seen as supporting the DEM House impeachment push. They'll get roasted by their base and risk a flurry of primary challengers right when the filing deadline is upon them. BUT...

... the GOP Senators are quietly sitting on the sidelines waiting to see how much damaging info and hard facts the Democrats are able to compile for articles of impeachment. If the impeachment articles are kind of scattershot, nebulous, or unfocused then yeah you probably won't get a single GOP voting to convict. But if the impeachment articles are laser focused with undisputed facts, then it puts GOP Senators in a tough spot. If the GOP Senators unanimously vote to acquit Trump of abuse of power for colluding with a foreign power to interfere with a Presidential election, then the GOP will be solely responsible for ushering in a new age where foreign actors will be welcomed with a red carpet to interfere with our elections.

It's a Trap Card. if the Democrats play it right. The GOP will have only two options. Either throw Trump out of office or forever own foreign interference in our elections. And it's not obvious which option to pick.. Acquitting Trump may seem like the safer option in the near-term, but these Senators have 6 year terms and I'm sure they're not thrilled about the prospect of having Russian, Chinese, or North Korean hackers going through all their emails and digging through their digital history every election cycle, especially those with Presidential ambitions.

So if the impeachment articles are laser focused on the Ukraine scandal and foreign interference with our US elections, then I put the odds at 50/50 on Trump getting convicted even if GOP Senators are dead silent now. A more comprehensive set of impeachment articles might be more satisfying and a better redline for history, but it would dramatically reduce the chances of conviction in the Senate since it would make it easy for GOP Senators to call the whole thing a "witch hunt" because they'll probably latch on to one of the weaker impeachment articles.
I think, * potentially something that might come out of this is. Trump did what he's doing now in 2016-17. Not against Democrats, bit against sitting members of the house/Senate. Particularly Republicans. And we find out, publically that Graham had black mail invented about him and was threatened. I think this would get all the votes we need to impeach.

And I think it is likely, and likely it will come out

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Biden is being so quiet about this. Unless he's actually guilty.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
Man those texts are damning, establishing 2 things:
1. State in fact was being put to use to for Trumps political, illegal whims.
2. Sondland establish consciousness of guilt by repeatedly trying to stop text comms. Call me.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
One thing Trump has done is he has given the next president permission to go full bore into his family's dealings. And Warren running on anti corruption will have the perfect cover to do just that if she ends up winning the election.

Status
Not open for further replies.