• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I do sort of worry about the banks intentionally tanking everything if Bernie/Warren win just to turn people against them so they can get another compliant fascist in office as soon as possible

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Running against Wall Street is a winning issue with pretty much every group other than those on Wall Street.

"Wall Street bankers are afraid of Elizabeth Warren!" is not the winning message some Republicans might think that it is.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I do sort of worry about the banks intentionally tanking everything if Bernie/Warren win just to turn people against them so they can get another compliant fascist in office as soon as possible
People said the banks and corporations would do that under Obama too, it didn't happen. They'd have way too much to lose by trying something like that.

Like, at the very least a Democratic president will be in office for four years. They're not going to bleed money for four years by choice.

Plus Warren/Sanders could just retaliate by going ham on new regulations so they can't sabotage the market. They will probably already do this.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
People said the banks and corporations would do that under Obama too, it didn't happen. They'd have way too much to lose by trying something like that.

Like, at the very least a Democratic president will be in office for four years. They're not going to bleed money for four years by choice.

Plus Warren/Sanders could just retaliate by going ham on new regulations so they can't sabotage the market. They will probably already do this.
Right but Obama despite getting reforms done never really threatened outright war against the banks and largest corporations like Bernie and Warren. We really haven't had people campaigning to fuck them up like they are since the 60s

I'd hope you're right about the next parts

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nah, that's why they have shareholders. The economy is largely autonomous unless you start putting stupid tarriffs in place.

Yes Warren regulations may hamper artificial speculation a bit but it's not going to kill yields for shareholders if the banks run themselves well. It isn't hard. They literally have all the money. And anyone with any brains realizes rampant speculation is what gets them into hot water in the first place.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Not really. Bolton is not a symptom; he's been spewing his noxious ideology for decades, and it's not anything to do with "authoritarianism".

He never had ability to do any real damage here because this administration is so laughably inept. They have no overriding ideology beyond the grift.

That shit is just ad-lib territory.

Why white ____ vote against ____

It all fits.

American imperialism is highly authoritarian, just not on the homestead.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
This one is weird. Usually his opinions are pretty obvious and make sense for his world view (that is obviously terrible, but he's an easy read). I don't get this one!
Doesn't like snitches.

JOHN BOLTONS GONE

LOL get fucked

The best part is he got hosed on reading the taliban agreement which Trump just unilaterally ended anyway.

Wonder if the almost meeting with Iran was causing friction as well. Did he even last a year?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It's actually a great idea to codify a ton of laws that constrain executive power. Part of the problem now is that a lot of our "norms" aren't laws. It's a good idea to weaken the executive.
I used to agree with this (and I still kind of do), but Trump is revealing the problem to be deeper. Because Trump's not just busting norms; he's openly breaking the law at this point. But it doesn't matter, because the DoJ won't hold him accountable, Republicans won't hold him accountable because they benefit, and Democrats won't hold him accountable because they're cowards.

So while we do need to enshrine a lot of these norms into law, it's all for nothing if we don't address the incentives Congress has to NOT do its job.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Obama was way more chill with the financial status quo, at least in terms of where he most wished to expend his political capital.

Also, the German economy was intentionally yanked after World War I to get out from under the Versailles reparations, so it would hardly be the first time those with the economic levers tried to engineer a particular long-term political outcome by eating short-term misery.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
That is one of the main reasons I think 4 years of Biden rebuilding while crushing the remnants of the Republican party. Then we have a clear open playing field where Warren can actually get her policies passed. In that hypothetical 2024 election there is effectively no Republican party for Executives to back.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Right but Obama despite getting reforms done never really threatened outright war against the banks and largest corporations like Bernie and Warren. We really haven't had people campaigning to fuck them up like they are since the 60s

I'd hope you're right about the next parts
Obama was way more chill with the financial status quo, at least in terms of where he most wished to expend his political capital.

Also, the German economy was intentionally yanked after World War I to get out from under the Versailles reparations, so it would hardly be the first time those with the economic levers tried to engineer a particular long-term political outcome by eating short-term misery.
It's true that Obama never campaigned on as bold of ideas as Warren or Sanders, though I still hold that any attempt by financial institutions to do something like this would be met with immediate backlash and give the new Democratic president all the ammunition they need to snuff them out.

That is one of the main reasons I think 4 years of Biden rebuilding while crushing the remnants of the Republican party. Then we have a clear open playing field where Warren can actually get her policies passed. In that hypothetical 2024 election there is effectively no Republican party for Executives to back.
Until the 2022 midterms happen and Republicans cruise back into power over a snoozing Democratic administration and base.

I don't trust Biden to take a different approach to midterm elections than Obama, whereas Warren absolutely will not cede any power to Republicans that she doesn't have to.

There's a certain level of inevitability there to the pendulum swinging back, but Obama let the DNC fester and rot and seemed to be very blase about the prospect of Republicans taking over the House (and later, the Senate) because he figured the fever would break eventually and they'd want to work with him.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Banks have a lot to lose if everything tanks. Where do you think they get their money from? Fucking, checking fees? No, investments. Loans. Mortgages. If anyone has a vested interest in making sure shit doesn't go away, it's banks.

If anything, taxing the wealthy more might make them take out more loans, they'd be better for banks that way instead of the quickly abolished checking fees plus post office banking.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017

@NBCNews
NEW: As President Trump began losing confidence in John Bolton, who was fired today, he reached out to the man he had fired to give Bolton the job: H.R. McMaster. https://nbcnews.to/2UIcAWK
@NBCPolitics
In phone calls, President Trump has solicited McMaster's advice on various national security challenges, even asking McMaster who he should nominate to lead the Pentagon, aides says; he also told McMaster that he misses him. http://nbcnews.to/2UNe01X

Last edited:

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

In phone calls to McMaster — the first of which took place last fall — Trump told his second national security adviser that he misses him, according to two people familiar with the conversations. It's a sentiment the president has also expressed to White House aides, they said. Trump has solicited McMaster's advice on various national security challenges, even asking McMaster who he should nominate to lead the Pentagon, they said.

Trump's contacts with McMaster perhaps presaged his decision Tuesday to unceremoniously fire Bolton. They also marked a significant a remarkable shift for the president that is emblematic of how much Bolton fell out of favor since Trump welcomed him into the White House 17 months ago. At that time, Trump was barely speaking to McMaster and regularly did derogatory impressions of him in his absence, according to multiple current and former White House officials.

Like Bolton, McMaster's firing also transpired hastily and was announced publicly by the president on Twitter. Bolton later said he resigned, and was not fired. Trump's patience for Bolton ultimately wore thin; aides say Trump was close to firing Bolton earlier this year, even putting his name on a list of officials he'd like to get rid of before the end of the year, after which such moves might have a negative effect on his re-election campaign, officials said.

The president was angered by what he viewed as Bolton positioning himself in the news media as the decision-maker on key issues like Iran and Venezuela, the officials said, and it didn't help that Trump thought those policies weren't working.

Trump's phone calls to McMaster began in the fall of 2018, about six months after Bolton had taken the job. The most recent call that the people familiar with the conversations knew of was a few months ago.

In another conversation in late spring, when Trump was unsure about his choice of then-Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan to permanently hold the job, the president wanted to know what McMaster thought he should do. At the time, Trump was asking his advisers inside and outside the White House for alternatives to Shanahan, and he ultimately switched to nominate Mark Esper, who was confirmed by the Senate.

At least one of Trump's calls with McMaster focused on Iran, an issue over which Trump and Bolton have clashed because the president felt his national security adviser was pushing him into a military confrontation. Bolton has long been one of the Republican Party's leading voices on taking an aggressive approach on Iran, including advocating for regime change. He was instrumental in Trump's decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal and has advocated positions that have at times put him at odds with Trump, who campaigned on ending, not starting, military conflicts overseas.

McMaster declined to comment.

bb, pls come back - Trump to McMaster, probably

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not the banks, but as I said, Germany did just that after World War I. See: "The Myths of Reparations" by Sally Marks.
Sure, and there are super-specific circumstances there that led to the mess. It was a gigantic disaster but without those circumstances the odds of a repeat are really low. The closest thing we have to this nowadays is OPEC deliberately fucking with oil prices and stuff like targeting red state voters with retaliatory tariffs.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
It's true that Obama never campaigned on as bold of ideas as Warren or Sanders, though I still hold that any attempt by financial institutions to do something like this would be met with immediate backlash and give the new Democratic president all the ammunition they need to snuff them out.

Until the 2022 midterms happen and Republicans cruise back into power over a snoozing Democratic administration and base.

I don't trust Biden to take a different approach to midterm elections than Obama, whereas Warren absolutely will not cede any power to Republicans that she doesn't have to.

There's a certain level of inevitability there to the pendulum swinging back, but Obama let the DNC fester and rot and seemed to be very blase about the prospect of Republicans taking over the House (and later, the Senate) because he figured the fever would break eventually and they'd want to work with him.
I would think (hope) that Biden would remember Obama's mistake of letting the previous administration off the hook and that the whole work across the aisle shtick is just electoral posturing. I just want Warren to have the best possible position where she can implement her major economic and corporate reforms which IMO is the most needed but also the most difficult to actually put into law.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the financial industry, and Warren's my top pick. But it never ceases to amaze me how people misunderstand the industry.

Banks are holding, essentially, everybody's money. If you have any money, you don't want the banks to fall. This is true for everybody, but especially people who work at banks and/or are shareholders of banks. A tremendous amount of a bank's worth is reputational. Bear Stearns went under due to a sudden lack of confidence by everyone else, effectively freezing them in place. Suddenly worth next to nothing. Not a commercial bank, but nobody who owned any stake in it wanted that to happen. People lost most of their net worth overnight. And the thing is, that the sins of BS were basically the year before, when they mismanaged mortgage-backed securities. A perfectly healthy and responsible wing of the business, the investment bank, went down with it.

So "banks would scuttle the ship to ensure a conservative president" is a completely naive point of view. And "kill the banks" ought to be "break up the banks" because for every greedy bad-actor part of a business, there are probably 3 other parts that aren't doing anything but their jobs.

What would *really* be effective, and isn't talked about, is instituting a system of *criminal* penalties for the individuals in the businesses, and stop relying on fines. Make the bad actors at risk. Really hard to prosecute, but a lot better than what we do now.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that's why they have shareholders. The economy is largely autonomous unless you start putting stupid tarriffs in place.

Yes Warren regulations may hamper artificial speculation a bit but it's not going to kill yields for shareholders if the banks run themselves well. It isn't hard. They literally have all the money. And anyone with any brains realizes rampant speculation is what gets them into hot water in the first place.

I don't even think this needs to be intentional, though.

-Behaviors of economic actors, including professionals, are often a result of psychological process that are not entirely rational.
-If you perceive the economy to be performing well, you're more likely to invest, creating a spirit of optimism that may spread. Conversely, if you perceive the economy to be performing poorly, you're less likely to invest. (These are often self-fulfilling prophecies).
-We know from social science that people interpret the overall macroeconomic performance through a partisan lens. If someone of your party is in the White House, you have a rosier view than if the opposition party is in the White House, on average.
-Most investment bankers are Republicans
Therefore:
-Most investment bankers will be more optimistic and likely to invest during Republican administrations than not.
-The economy will do better under Republican presidencies, even if their policy is no better than their opponents' and even if there is no conspiracy by bankers to tank a Democratic presidency.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the financial industry, and Warren's my top pick. But it never ceases to amaze me how people misunderstand the industry.

Banks are holding, essentially, everybody's money. If you have any money, you don't want the banks to fall. This is true for everybody, but especially people who work at banks and/or are shareholders of banks. A tremendous amount of a bank's worth is reputational. Bear Stearns went under due to a sudden lack of confidence by everyone else, effectively freezing them in place. Suddenly worth next to nothing. Not a commercial bank, but nobody who owned any stake in it wanted that to happen. People lost most of their net worth overnight. And the thing is, that the sins of BS were basically the year before, when they mismanaged mortgage-backed securities. A perfectly healthy and responsible wing of the business, the investment bank, went down with it.

So "banks would scuttle the ship to ensure a conservative president" is a completely naive point of view. And "kill the banks" ought to be "break up the banks" because for every greedy bad-actor part of a business, there are probably 3 other parts that aren't doing anything but their jobs.

What would *really* be effective, and isn't talked about, is instituting a system of *criminal* penalties for the individuals in the businesses, and stop relying on fines. Make the bad actors at risk. Really hard to prosecute, but a lot better than what we do now.
Spot on.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I would think (hope) that Biden would remember Obama's mistake of letting the previous administration off the hook and that the whole work across the aisle shtick is just electoral posturing. I just want Warren to have the best possible position where she can implement her major economic and corporate reforms which IMO is the most needed but also the most difficult to actually put into law.
See, and Biden is actually the candidate I trust the least to effectively deal with anyone from Trump's administration (except for joke candidates like Tulsi). He seems to view Trump as the inherent problem, rather than a symptom of the broader problem with the GOP.

Warren can both return things to "normal" while also pursuing broad reform and change. I don't think those are inherently exclusive concepts. To most people a "normal" president can still be effective and influence change - if anything it's probably more important they stay off fucking Twitter.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even necessarily a good thing because tiny regional banks are a huge contributor to instability in the financial system. Having a national portfolio naturally insures against regional housing busts.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
-The economy will do better under Republican presidencies, even if their policy is no better than their opponents' and even if there is no conspiracy by bankers to tank a Democratic presidency.
This is what makes the fact that democratic presidents have had better economies that republican ones that past however many decades so maddening

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I have no doubt that Biden would let Trump off the hook after beating him in an election. If he thinks beating Trump will break the fever for the GOP and open a road to bipartisan comity, he would also think that prosecuting Trump for any number of crimes would immediately burn down that olive branch. Not to mention one administration prosecuting a former president for crimes would be far outside of the realm of established political normalcy that Biden wants to restore.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

-Behaviors of economic actors, including professionals, are often a result of psychological process that are not entirely rational.
-If you perceive the economy to be performing well, you're more likely to invest, creating a spirit of optimism that may spread. Conversely, if you perceive the economy to be performing poorly, you're less likely to invest. (These are often self-fulfilling prophecies).
-We know from social science that people interpret the overall macroeconomic performance through a partisan lens. If someone of your party is in the White House, you have a rosier view than if the opposition party is in the White House, on average.
Therefore:
-Most investment bankers will be more optimistic and likely to invest during Republican administrations than not.

I think you mean "portfolio managers." Investment bankers, ironically, aren't investing. They are advising and doing mergers and acquisitions. I don't think they are overwhelmingly republican, though. Certainly a lot are, but they are also overwhelmingly in urban centers. But mostly, the people investing are people with money, financial people or not. They are going to invest *somewhere* no matter what, and where that is will depend on their outlook.

This isn't even necessarily a good thing because tiny regional banks are a huge contributor to instability in the financial system. Having a national portfolio naturally insures against regional housing busts.

I don't want to break them up regionally (because you are right)-- I want to break them up by function. There's no reason for an investment bank, a commercial bank, an asset manager and a hedge fun all to be under one roof-- a lot of reasons for them not to be.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017

Therefore:
Is there some solid data showing most investment bankers are Republicans?

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Biden would just be Compromiser in Chief 2.0, and set up for another GOP president to tear down what little he manages to build up. The net result would be democracy losing more ground.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Is there some solid data showing most investment bankers are Republicans?

Huh, you're absolutely right, I really should have looked that up.

"Investment banking" as a catch-all for all such jobs is 53-47 Republican. "Investment banker" is 51-49. Brokers and private investors lean strongly Republican, but there's a similar lean toward Democrats in Hedge Fund Managers and Investment Analysts. Most notably, venture capitalists are 63-37 Democrat, and it would make sense if they were the ones most impacted by the animal spirits optimism/pessmism thing.

Which is fascinating, but then we have to figure out why Kramer seems to not hesitate in assuming his co-workers will dislike Forma.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Or they're lowering expectations so the win seems bigger. You can't put stock on what people say on Election Day
yeah I was going to say, I've been burned too many times by these "Republicans are lowering expectations/sounding the alarms/distancing themselves from today's race" stories
Even their close shaves have been very unimpressive results for the GOP though.

If Bishop wins by 1 point for example, that's obviously better than losing, but running 10 points behind Trump still isn't an ideal environment for them.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I agree with this. Obviously banking/finance as an industry is important, and most people who work in the industry aren't the ones making the big decisions that fuck things up.

I also used to work in banking (just a branch teller, then cash ops away from the branches, nothing investment related) and have an econ degree. Warren has been my top choice for a good while now (I've got a bumper sticker and everything).

Wasn't one of Warren's first plans this campaign actually about exactly what your last paragraph says? A White Collar Crime bill?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
As an investment banker, I did 0% of investing. It's amazing how people do not know what the job entails. I guess the name is a misnomer.

I generally don't think people in investment banking are largely more Republican than Democrat than most other jobs that are high paying. Hell, Jamie Dimon is a Democrat.

I also think that people within finance view Elizabeth Warren as significantly more aware of the financial industry and thus more dangerous than Bernie who couldn't even describe how he'd break up JPMorganChase give that was his a huge part of his platform.

That said, attacking the banks is an easy way to rally support. Going through with these reforms and break-ups, I don't see any candidate actually going through with any real success. Strengthening the regulations passed under Obama is all we really need.

Status
Not open for further replies.